Fatal

The Painting

The next day, Mark was waiting for Jaebum at his usual spot. He was excited to see his new friend again. As he waited for Jaebum, Bambam, one of his other friends from another section of the mental hospital, walked over and sat next to him. Bambam was known to be the most talkative person in his section of the mental hospital but Mark thought differently. Bambam was just the most talkative person in the whole hospital. Not only that, he was really curious and nosy. So when Bambam opened his mouth, Mark knew what he was going to ask right away. "Who are you waiting for, Mark?" Bambam asked while grinning. Mark took out the sketchbook he was given and wrote on it with a pen. "A friend." 

"Is he cute?" Bambam asked.

"Uhm...maybe?" Mark instantly knew where Bambam was going with this and couldn't help but make a noiseless laugh.

"Is he my type?" Bambam looked at Mark seriously.

"I doubt he's your type...but he's nice and really...interesting," Mark wrote while thinking a little bit. Before Bambam could answer, Mark saw Jaebum walk towards him. He waved to him while smiling brightly. Bambam widened his eyes at the appearance of Mark's friend, Jaebum. He looked really handsome and very cute but his eyes seemed to have a secret hiding behind them. Mark reached out and pulled at Jaebum's arm. "Sit!" he wrote on Jaebum's cheek. Jaebum could only chuckle as he sat down on the grass in front of Mark and Bambam. Mark started to write furiously on his notebook before he showed Jaebum what he wrote and pointed to Bambam. "This is Bambam!" Jaebum offered a small smile and bowed his head quickly. "I'm Jaebum," he said slowly. Bambam smiled back. "So...when did you become Mark's friend?" he asked.

"Just yesterday," Jaebum answered.

"Eh?!" Bambam blinked in surprise. Jaebum was slightly caught offguard with his reaction but Mark wasn't. He knew why Bambam reacted like that. In the mental hospital, Mark was known to be able to radiate a shy but cold aura when it came to meeting new patients or even people. It took a few friends of his a few weeks just to be able to get a simple word out of him by writing their questions on their arms or by acting goofballs. Mark could only take a liking to a few people. He still disliked the doctors but he allowed them to do their checkup on him quickly before he would point to the door since he would like to be alone. Jaebum, however, caught him offguard. After Jaebum had asked to be able to paint him, Mark was about to write no on his arm but he saw something in Jaebum's eyes that told him that he and Jaebum were similar. Mark could only wonder if Jaebum ever wanted to be alone or something along those lines. Bambam was chatting away with Jaebum but Mark noticed Jaebum could only manage a small smile everytime Bambam had asked him something that was prying too much into his life. Mark reached out and moved one hand to Bambam's mouth before writing on the notebook. "I'm sorry for him. Sometimes, he just asks and talks a lot that he doesn't remember to stop himself." Mark managed a small smile. 

"Ah no no. It's okay. Although..." Jaebum trailed off as he pointed to the nurse behind Bambam "She seems to be quite angry." Bambam was about to bite Mark's hand before he turned and looked at the nurse. "Bambam, didn't I tell you to tell me where you go so I can give you your medicine?!" the nurse shouted while reaching in and grabbing at Bambam's ear. Bambam was whimpering in pain as the nurse dragged him back into the mental hospital. Mark and Jaebum could only laugh at the sight before Mark reached out for Jaebum's hand. He held onto Jaebum's hand. 'Is it alright for me to be selfish over a friend I just met yesterday?' he thought as Jaebum slowly moved to sit next to him. Jaebum took out a marker and watched Mark get lost in his thoughts before reaching in to put a dot on Mark's nose. Mark widened his eyes in surprise as Jaebum laughed. "YAH!" Mark wrote in big letters on Jaebum's hand while he tried to grab Jaebum's marker. The both of them kept trying to take the marker and write on each other but one of them knew that this was going to be a short term friendship.

-----------------------------------------

Above the scene of Mark and Jaebum trying to draw on each other, Jaebum's father had just walked in a small room. Another man was sitting near the window with an interested look on his face. "Amusing," the man said softly.

"Isn't it. I never would expect those two to be friends quickly," Jaebum's father replied as he put a painting to the left side of the wall.

"I don't know what we can do to make Mark come with us quietly."

"I would offer that your sister can help."

"She isn't someone to come quietly."

"She is an obedient child..."

"But she is hates you just as much as I hate you."

"...."

"Mark is the key to get back at my brother."

"You're just bitter, son."

"I am not," Jaebum's older brother could only laugh.

"You're bitter that I chose Jaebum over you."

"No. I am not, father."

"You wanted to me to kick your brother out of the family, didn't you?"

"Well, I must have been caught red handed."

"Jaebum isn't like you. He doesn't try to cause trouble."

"I hate him cause of his mother."

"Stop it. Your mother had died because of giving birth to you. You're putting your anger in the wrong place."

"Yet that witch seduced you and then I got a younger brother who got in my way with everything."

"You cannot blame Jaebum for being a hardworker, son. You can only blame yourself." With that, Jaebum's father walked out and slammed the door while Jaebum's older brother could laugh. "Me? No. He shouldn't be here in the first place. It should only be father, me and Mira. Just us three. Not us five. I'll show you, father."

------------------------------------

Jaebum felt a slight chill for some odd reason but he had a small idea formed in his head of what the shiver might foreshadow. He turned his head slightly to look up at the top level of the mental hospital and spotted someone he had vague knowledge about but he knew that his father had warned him about his stepbrother. He locked eyes with his stepbrother before turning to look at a person hiding behind a tree. He simply nodded and the hidden person quickly ran off. Jaebum felt that something might happen soon but would it prove fatal is the question. Mark was in front of him and trying to see if he was okay but Jaebum was nowhere near okay. There was a reason why he was obedient and was a loner. The reason was his stepbrother. He never had a friend because of his stepbrother. His stepbrother would steal the attention of his friends and kept telling him to be obedient to everyone since he was only half related to everyone except their father. Jaebum looked down and trembled internally. What did his stepbrother want now? What was his stepbrother going to take from him now?