Mistake

The Painting

One painting...was all it took.

One look and everything fell apart.

--------------------------------------

Jaebum was doing his usual job, finding someone to paint of before submitting it to his professor. Honestly, he wasn't interested in this but his professor saw something in his hidden ability to paint without ever worrying about what angle he's sitting in. Jaebum could only sigh because his professor was his father and he never disobeyed his father yet. So now, he was sitting on a bench near the hospital. His assignment was to paint a patient and to make it look all natural. making it natural wasn't hard for jaebum but he had to wonder...why a hospital patient? He could only wonder before his eye caught a patient sitting under some trees. The person himself wasn't that attractive but the trees trying to hide the patient looked really different. Jaebum nodded to himself that this was the person he wanted to paint. He got up and walked over to the patient. When he reached to the patient, Jaebum was slightly nervous since he didn't want to frighten him. He waved his hand out in front of the patient slowly and smiled politely. "Hi there," Jaebum said softly.

The patient just blinked and waved back. Jaebum found it slightly odd before tapping his own lips with one finger. "Can you speak?" he mouthed.

The patient merely shook his head and reached out to take Jaebum's sketchbook. Jaebum tilted his head slightly as he offered him his pen. The patient then started to write on the sketchbook before holding it up. "I'm mute."

"Mute? Hm...," Jaebum thought before he took out another sketchbook and wrote on it "Ah. My apologies. I'm Jaebum and I was wondering if I could paint you."

The patient widened his eyes as he wrote his answer before holding it up "Paint? Paint my body?"

Jaebum merely laughed and shook his head before holding his sketchbook up "Not your body. I mean as in painting a picture of you for my class."

The patient nodded once before trying to pose. Jaebum chuckled lightly and wrote something "Don't force it, sir. Just be natural."

The patient turned red slightly as he tried to sit normally "Sorry..i'm not use to this..ah. I forgot. I'm mark. It's nice to meet you, Jaebum."

Jaebum smiled lightly before moving to sit a little bit far from Mark and flipped to a blank page. He took out a pencil and looked right at Mark as he started to sketch. Mark felt his cheeks redden slightly as he tried to not look at Jaebum. Jaebum only smiled good naturedly before looking back down at his sketch. He nodded to himself and got up slowly. Mark blinked in surprise when Jaebum walked over to him and sat right in front of him. Jaebum held up his sketchbook to show Mark what he drew. Mark took the sketchbook and smiled at the sketch. Jaebum nodded to himself as he was satisfied at what he drew. Mark wrote on Jaebum's other sketchbook and held it up. "It looks beautiful."

Jaebum laughed softly as he wrote his answer. "Well the person I drew is very beautiful even though he's mute." Mark blushed a little bit and reached out to hit Jaebum on the shoulder. Jaebum smiled softly and got up while grabbing his things. Mark looked up at Jaebum in alarm and reached to grab his arm. Jaebum turned and tilted his head at Mark. "What's wrong?" he wrote on his sketchbook.

Mark reached up to write on Jaebum's arm. "Where are you going?"

Jaebum tilted his head in confusion before writing his answer on Mark's arm. "I have to get back to the university to turn this in. What is it, Mark?"

Mark looked down a little before writing on Jaebum's arm again. "Will you come tomorrow?"

Jaebum nodded once as he smiled. He wrote on Mark's palm slowly with his pen. "I'll come by tomorrow to visit."

Mark clapped his hands in approval. "I can't wait!" Jaebum reached to take his other sketchbook before he decided to let Mark have it. Mark blinked in curosity as Jaebum slipped one of his pens into his hands. Jaebum wote quickly on Mark's hand and smiled. "Keep it so we can communicate more tomorrow." Mark smiled up at Jaebum and bowed his head out of gratitude. Jaebum bowed his head out of politeness before walking back to his university. As Jaebum walked off, Mark watched him walk before waving at him. Jaebum turned his head slightly and waved back before heading back to the university.

----------------------------------------

"So?" Jaebum's father asked while looking through many paintings.

"It was interesting," Jaebum answered simply as he sat down next to his father.

"Interesting? Did you meet anyone?" Jaebum's father looked over at his son with a smile. 

"I met Mark, a mute patient," Jaebum shrugged as he took one of the paintings fro his father's pile and started to take note of it.

"Hm. That's nice. Has anything sparked your interest?" 

"Besides being able to sketch Mark? Not really." Jaebum's father smiled at the response while Jaebum set the painting down. He pointed to the colors on the painting and shook his head. "The colors aren't blending as well as they could be," Jaebum pointed out before getting up and walking off. Jaebum's father nodded once as he crossed his arms. "Jaebum."

"Hm?"

"How come you don't want to have a career in art?"

"Because then it would seem as if I'm following under your steps, father."

"Is that so?"

"I'm not going after a dream that you had. I'm myself and I want to pursue something that I enjoy."

"Mm...well..."

"Mom tried to put me on the same path as you, father but for once, I'm going to rebel."

"Are you sure?"

"Art is fun but it's not something I want to do in the future." With that, Jaebum got up and walked out of the classroom and headed towards his dorm room. His father could only smile as he started to see Jaebum change a little bit and not act as a closed off obedient child.