Amazing Grace Part 1

YOONYUL CONVOS: A SERIES OF ONE-SHOTS

Hello~!

I'm here again with another story. This will be 2 or 3-part fic that i thought while watching a certain YY fan-made video :) Hope you guys like it!

This is going to be a very short chapter ;)

______________________________
______________________________
 
 
It's a peaceful Sunday morning as the people hear the mass at Myeongdong Cathedral. The birds are chirping as they were singing with the church choir.
 
Jeremiah was a bullfrog, he was good friend of mine
I never understood a single word he said
But I helped him drink his wine
He always had some mighty fine wine, sing it


Joy to the world, all the boys and girls now
Joy to the fishiest in the deep blue sea
And joy to you and me...
 
The mass finally ended. The people started to disperse as the church choir began to fix their things. The group were happily chatting about their performance when their church leader approached them.
 
"Great performance today, ladies." the church leader, Lee Hee Yeon, praised the team. She turned to the beautiful doe eyed girl.
 
She's Im Yoona, choir's lead singer and new addition to the team. Her angelic beauty and personality matched with her wonderful voice. She's been with the team for almost half of a year now and she's already the lead singer.
 
"Wonderful performance, as usual, Yoona." she praised which made the said girl smile shyly as her members teased and praised her performance.
 
"It's not just me, Timjang-nim. The whole team are great, too." Yoona praised her team which made everyone laughed.
 
"Arasso. Enough of boosting egos." Hee Yeon smiled. "Now, I just received a message from the chief warden of Woljeong Prison and they're inviting us again for the annual volunteer program."
 
The group started talking to each other regarding the announcement. It made Yoona's head tilt in confusion.
 
"Volunteer program?" Yoona asked.
 
"Yeah, every year, we're holding an annual volunteer program for the prisoners." one of the members, Ji Yeon, explained. "It's fun."
 
Yoona raised her eyebrow. 'Fun? Does volunteering in the prison, fun?' she thought.
 
"Yah~ I know what you're thinking, Yoona. You might think that prison is dangerous but you'll be surprised once you get to meet the people there." Hee Yeon said as she put an arm around the girl.
 
"Timjang-nim is right, Yoona. We're scared at first when we went there but now, we're looking forward to meet the people there." Krystal, one of the choir members encouraged.
 
"H-how does this works?" Yoona asked meekly.
 
"Well, every year, we sing for them and then, we'll choose a buddy from the prisoners. We'll do different activities with them. We'll talk to them and get to know them. We'll do this for 3 weeks." Krystal replied.
 
"What do we get from this?"
 
"What do we get?" Ji Yeon asked, confused. "We'll have new friends. We'll get to help them and ease their loneliness. It's more than you'll know, Yoona."
 
Yoona nodded in understanding. Try to grasp everything. She's scared to know what's in the prison. All she knew is prison is a place for dangerous people. This is not a place for nice people like what they've been saying.
 
____________________________________
 
Two weeks after the announcement, the choir team finally visit Woeljeong Women's Prison. Yoona's heart started to beat faster than before. She's scared to know what's inside. Although her members and their team assured her that everything is going to be fine, she's still doubting if she's doing the right thing and join the team with the volunteer program.
 
The team stepped out of the bus and everyone stretched from the almost 6 hours of travel to the prison. Some of the girls started to unload their things including Yoona. As she helped her team members, she heard Krystal and Ji Yeon talking.
 
"Finally we're here!" Krystal exclaimed.
 
"Ey~ You're just excited to see one of the prisoners here." Ji Yeon .
 
"Yah~!"
 
"Don't deny it. Ever since we started this volunteer program, you're always with prisoner 091892."
 
"Eotteoke! H-how--?"
 
Ji Yeon smirked at how much Krystal is blushing. "I saw you writing that number in your musical notebook. When we visited here, my assumptions were correct. The number you were scribbling was Amber's prison number!"
 
Krystal blushed even more at Ji Yeon's revelation. Her friend is correct. She's quite smitten with the prisoner ever since she met her. To keep her secret safe, she pulled Ji Yeon in which made Yoona leaned in discreetly to hear their conversation.
 
"Yah! you better keep this a secret, okay?" Krystal whispered.
 
"Wae~? what's wrong with liking Amber? she has a great personality." Ji Yeon asked bluntly. She doesn't get why Krystal is too conscious in liking a prisoner. Sure they are the enemies of the society but for Ji Yeon, at the end of the day, those people are just human, too. That's why they're there to support them.
 
"Krystal, there's nothing wrong in liking Amber. It's too obvious that you like her. I can see that she likes you, too." Ji Yeon put an arm around her friend. "I'll support you, guys. It will not be long until her service is over. You can go out freely with her."
 
"Yeah. T-thanks, Ji Yeon-ah." Krystal smiled and hugged her friend.
 
'Is this okay?' Yoona thought. 'Krystal and a prisoner? Let alone, a g-girl?' The doe eyed girl came from a very conservative family so, hearing these things shocked her. She wanted to tell her friends that what they're doing is not right. Love is supposed to be for a man and woman only.
 
She's right, right?
 
"Alright, kids! Let's get started. We got a whole day ahead of us." their team leader announced as she lead them inside the prison.
 
All Yoona could do is exhale that everything will be alright for her.
 

As they made their way inside the prison, they were greeted by a woman in her early twenties. Yoona read her name tag, 'Seo Joo Hyun'.
 
"Hee Yeon-ssi. You're finally here with the team!" the said girl smiled warmly as the rest of the team greeted her.
 
Yoona was surprised to see a young, beautiful woman working as a warden. She's also in her early twenties. It's as if that the warden in front of her should work as a lawyer or something more decent.
 
"Yeah, SeoHyun-ah. Everybody's excited to be here. We're looking forward to this event every year." Hee Yeon smiled at the young girl.
 
Seohyun greeted the team and when she turned and see Yoona, she said, "I can see a new face here, Hee Yeon-ssi." Seohyun observed at the choir team.
 
"Oh yes. This is Im Yoona. New addition to the team. She's been with us for almost half a year now and we couldn't be more proud of her. She's one of our lead vocalist." Hee Yeon beamed with pride.
 
"Oh really? Nice to meet you, Yoona-ssi." Seohyun bowed at Yoona. "I hope you'll like this volunteer program of the church."
 
"Y-yeah," Yoona was dumbfounded. Never in her imagination would come across a polite warden like Seohyun. What she knew about wardens are what she saw on TV. They are rude and reckless against the criminals inside.
 
"I'm excited to hear your solo, later." Seohyun smiled warmly before turning to Hee Yeon. "Let's get you guys inside to meet the chief warden?"
 
The team leader nod as they were lead to the familiar corridors of the prison. Yoona was behind the group as she looked around the area. She never thought that this place could be like what she's seeing right now.
 
The prison that she's seeing right now is different from what she thought she knew. The place is clean and orderly. The prisoners can roam around freely but under the close supervision of the jail guards. CCTV and armed guards everywhere.
 
'Am i dreaming?' Yoona thought in disbelief. 'Is this really a prison?' Despite the orderliness of the prison, she could still see some of the prisoner's eyes leering at her. As if they're waiting their chance to pounce on her. A shiver ran through her spine and hurriedly followed her members.
 
'Who am i kidding? Prison is a prison after all. No matter how secure and orderly they are, there are still bad people here.'
 
They finally reached the Chief Warden's office. Seohyun lead them inside. She informed them that the chief has some things taking care of and she'll be coming in a while before leaving them.
 
Not long after, the team welcomed by the Chief Warden, Jang Young Nam. A beautiful woman in her late 30's. No one would thought that she's a chief warden with her beauty and elegance.
 
'Why does everybody here are good looking?' Yoona asked herself.
 
"Hee Yeon-ssi. I'm sorry for the wait. We have to take care some issues with one of our prisoners." the chief warden apologized.
 
"Oh, we don't mind, Chief Young Nam-ssi." Hee Yeon brushed off. "If you don't mind, what happened with one of the prisoners?"
 
"The new prisoner is causing some issues here." the chief warden exhaled. "We're glad that you're here. Maybe you could help her."
 
"No worries, Chief Warden. We'll help you as much as we can. Our program is successful in bringing peace with the prisoners." Hee Yeon assured.
 
"Yeah, with this program, our prison gets so much help from the government due to the behaviour of the prisoners here. We couldn't do this without your help." the chief warden smiled. "So, let's begin?"
 

The crowd started to gather for a simple program held by the choir team for the prisoners. Yoona sat on the side as her members started to greet the prisoners. As Yoona watched how everyone interact with each other, she never felt so out of place. It's like seeing old friends greeting after a long time of not seeing each other instead of seeing prisoners and her choir members.
 
As she observed everyone, she saw two of the jail guards, escorting a woman. She can't see her face because the prisoner is looking down. She noticed that this woman is different from the others. Everyone can roam freely and talk with other prisoners while this woman is wearing handcuffs and shackle on her left ankle while being isolated from others.
 
She felt her heart tug a little upon seeing her.
 
'It must be lonely to be her.' Yoona thought.
 
"Yoona, are you ready?" Hee Yeon asked her lead vocalist, taking Yoona out of her thoughts.
 
Yoona immediately looked at her team leader and nod. "Y-yeah, timjang-nim. I'm ready."
 
Her team leader sat beside her and smiled. "I've been watching you since we came here, Yoona. I know it's overwhelming for you to be here. But trust me, you'll like it here. People are not what you think they are. They are just lonely people that need someone to be there for them."
 
Yoona looked at the crowd again. She watched her members laughed and interact with the prisoners. She wished that she's as open-minded as them. She want to get to know them. Then, she looked at the woman in the corner. She still can't see her face. She wanted to come up to her and push back her hair.
 
She wanted to see her face.
 
She wanted to know her story.
 
Why she's being like that.
 
Is she that dangeous?
 
"So, are you ready?" Hee Yeon asked which made Yoona nodded. "Alright, let's sing our heart out"
 

The crowd started to sit as the program starts. The choir prepared songs to entertain the prisoners where they sing and dance along to. As Yoona lead the team, her gaze never let go of the chained prisoner at the back. Everyone are having fun, except her. She also saw how the jail guards are on alert beside the woman despite that she never moved since she brought in.
 
'How can they do this to her?' Yoona wondered.
 
The song finally ended and everyone clapped their hands. Hee Yeon stood up from her seat as she continued hosting the program.
 
"Wow! I've never seen the crowd so energetic before!" Hee Yeon exclaimed as the crowd cheered. "Now, after the very energetic song, let's listen to a much mellow song prepared by one of our main vocalist. You want to hear it?!" The crowd hollered in agreement. "Alright, Without further adieu, let's listen to a song prepared by Yoona."
 
The crowd cheered again as Yoona bowed and grabbed the mic from its stand. She took a one last look to the crowd especially to the downcast girl and started singing.
 
Amazing grace how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me.
 
Yoona started singing which made everyone watched in awe. Her angelic voice covered the whole auditorium. She smiled shyly at the crowd as they fell in love with her voice.
 
I once was lost but now I'm found.
Was blind but now I see.
 
She turned and see a movement from the woman that she's watching the whole time. She continued singing as she kept her gaze on her locked until the woman looks up.
 
'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved.
 
She almost faltered as the woman looked up and faced her. The prisoner's face was not the one she expected. Beautiful is an understatement to describe the woman. Her face is like nothing she seen before. No famous celebrity can compare her beauty. Even her tanned skin is glowing. It's as if its an insult to have an angel imprisoned in this kind of environment.
 
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed.
 
Yoona's song finally ended and everyone clapped as they wiped their tears. They were moved by the doe eyed girl's performance and they felt that God sent an angel to sing a song for them.
 
As the crowd raved about Yoona's performance, her gaze is still locked on the prisoner's mesmerising brown orbs.
 
'She's too beautiful. I just can't look away.' Yoona said to herself. Then, she saw the number on the woman's uniform.
 
120589.
 
'Who are you, 120589? Why are you here and why are you like that?' Yoona never thought that she will be like this with a prisoner. Before she came here, she's skeptical about the idea but as she stays, the more she wanted to discover things.
 
Especially, the woman in front of her.
 
TBC.
 
***
Please let me know what you think :D
 
www.twitter.com/jojo_adeque