Suddenly

For the First Time

 

This Chapter's Song: Because I Miss You (Instrumental) [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjpnkMADxUc]

 

“Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”

 

[Diary Exert of Kim Min Na]

November 29th 2009

Life can be defined as a road you go down, there are bumps in the road, uphill struggles and sometimes it’s as smooth as silk. For me however, I like to describe life as a really, really big rollercoaster. When you first get into the carriage you’re filled with strong desires to go as fast you can, just like you would as a young child, you want to grow up as fast as you can so you can do “adult things”, whatever they may be.

It’s smooth sailing for a while. You’re going at a pace that seems too slow. Then you start to go up, you can feel the adrenaline pumping through your veins now, they’re seeping into every corner of your body. You’re happy, happy that you’re growing up; but like the number of candles on your birthday cake that multiply; so do the responsibilities. The ride is steep, and you think for a split second, maybe, just maybe this ride is too steep. But what goes up must always come down. As you ride this rollercoaster, there are moments when you’re speeding downhill so fast it feels like you’re never going to go back up, you just go further and further down until you think you’re going to hit rock bottom. But then all of a sudden it goes back up, the carriages carry you up, up so high that it’s almost possible for you to reach out and scoop the clouds into your hands like cotton candy. But happiness is not forever. Nothing lasts forever. You go down again, this time maybe with a few extra twists and turns that throw you off guard, and makes the ride unbearable. At times, you’ll hold your breath, forgetting to breathe until your lungs and throat burns with the desire for air.

Of course, everything that starts must one day end. When it is time, you’ll step off that carriage and realise that through the ups and downs, twists and turns, you’ve had fun. You’ve gone through it all. You’ve endured everything it has thrown at you and conquered it. As soon as you let go of those railings, you’ll feel it. A wave of relief will wash over you, and you’ll realise that this crazy ride you just went on called life, is the most fun you will ever have. You’ll remember to breathe again.

[End of Exert]

“Min Na ah, come outside please.”

Grabbing her long grey coat, Min Na made her way outside to the factory where her father was calling. It was still early in the morning and at this time, her father didn’t really call for her, but there was something different today. The machines had been turned off and all the male workers of the factory were lined up, heads down in front of her father and a few strangers. Min Na bowed politely as she approached the men who were covered from head to toe in thick clothing. The only thing she could see was their eyes. The three men nodded gently and watched her as she made her way next to her father.

“This is my daughter, Kim Min Na. She manages our financials. Thanks to her hard work, we have made a fair deal of profit this year. There is still much she has to learn, but right now, she is one of our company’s most important assets.”

Min Na bowed again as she felt all eyes on her; the men gave each other a small glance and then looked back at her. One by one, the men made their way towards her with an outstretched hand. The first man walked with a cane, his left leg seemed heavier than his right. His eyes were a very transparent brown; everything he was feeling you could tell by looking at his eyes. Min Na could feel his kindness reaching out towards her through his smile, the edges of his eyes creased as he looked at her, and almost into her.

The second man was slight, but he had a solid build. He was tall and walked with confidence. His outstretched hand was strong and sure, but his eyes were what caught Min Na’s attention. They were a golden brown, sharp and confident. But somehow, deep inside, she could see that he was lost, like there was something holding him back. He too looked at Min Na; they stared at each other for a moment, still hand in hand. For just a brief instant, Min Na could feel her chest tightening, like as if something had the air right out of her and held onto it for a few seconds. After what felt like a long time for her lungs, Min Na felt the pressure lift of her chest and she pulled her hand away from his, her eyes were struck with panic as she diverted her attention to the hard concrete floor.

The third man then came forward, his greeting was quick and swift, he didn’t linger and stepped back.

“We’d like to continue our tour. Min Na sshi, we will see you soon.”

Min Na bowed again and watched as the men and her father began walking deeper and deeper into the factory.

“They must be the businessmen from Seoul,” Min Na whispered under her breath.

“They are.”

Min Na turned, there was her grandmother, smiling at her with a cheeky glint in her eye.

“Halmuhnee, what are you doing here? It’s cold. I’ll help you inside.”

“I saw that spark. It was like a million fireflies had lit up the sky,” she croaked.

“Halmuhnee, what are you talking about?” Min Na exclaimed as she acted as a support for her grandmother.

“You and that young fellow hit it off!” she laughed.

Min Na stifled a laugh and ushered her grandmother inside.

“Halmunhee, you shouldn’t make jokes like that, what will the workers think?”

“Let them think what they like, I know what I saw.”

Min Na sat her grandmother down in front of the coffee table and smiled. Her grandmother’s eyes were worn and tired, a very light brown, slowly edging towards a grey. They were filled with worry, but at the same time were so full of life, it contrasted greatly to her deteriorating body.

“Min Nah, I saw the way you two looked at each other, that boy couldn’t take his eyes off you.”

“Halmuhnee what are you talking about? How can you even be sure he was young? He could be an old grandpa,” Min Na replied.

Her grandmother shook her head. If there was one thing Min Na was sure of, there was nothing her grandmother didn’t know, she was already 96 years old and had lived through so much, she could see what people felt, what people thought, just by looking into their eyes, or watching the way they moved. If her grandmother said something, most of the time, she was right.

“Halmuhnee… who were they?”

Her grandmother smiled and pinched Min Na’s cheek.

“I knew you would ask. They were men from a large company in Seoul, they’ve come to somewhat become business partners with us; however they would also like some of our workers to go to Seoul with them to gain a better understand of the procedures in Seoul.”

“Have they chosen yet?” Min Na asked curiously, as for some reason she felt the need to see the second man again.

There was something about the way he looked at her, the way his hand enveloped hers, although gentle they were strong. There was something about the ways his eyes explored her face, curious like as if she was the most fascinating thing he had ever seen. Again, Min Na felt her chest constrict and she took a long deep breath.

“I know that look, it’s the ‘he took my breath away look’ ” her grandmother teased.

“Halmuhnee!” Min Na whined.

She could feel her face becoming warmer. What was happening to her? All her life she had been trying to distance herself from such strange feelings, but now all of a sudden, a pair of eyes had turned all her will power into water, flowing out of her body and evaporating into thin air. Min Na panicked. Sensing this, her grandmother took her hand.

“Min Na ah, I know you. There is no one I know more than you. You have to listen to me okay?”

Min Na nodded, giving her grandmother a gentle smile.

“Min Na ah, how old am I?”

Min Na stared at her grandmother. Had she become so old she had forgotten her own age? Nevertheless, Min Na answered the question.

“N… ninety-six.”

“That’s right! Now… how many breath do you think I’ve taken?”

Again Min Na stared wide-eyed at her grandmother.

“Aigoo, don’t think about it. Why are so calculating? Just like your father. Listen carefully Min Na. Over all the years that I’ve lived, I have taken too many breaths, too many. But it doesn’t matter how many breaths I take, the thing that I would like to have happen to me more often, are the moments that take my breath away. Do you understand Min Na?”

Min Na shook her head. Isn’t losing your breath a bad thing? Surely if you lose your breath you either have a really bad heart or you’re about to die. How can losing one’s breath be a good thing?

“Aish, again with the calculating. Kim Min Na! Stop being so calculating. What I’m trying to say, is in life, when something doesn’t happen often, it is considered rare. When something is rare, it is treasured, and sometimes it is the most beautiful, because Min Na ah, “Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” In one life, the moments that take your breath away could possibly be counted using the tips of your finder, and if you’re lucky using both hands. If something takes your breath away, you do not, I tell you, you do not let it go. It is in those rare and beautiful moments that you may feel the most happy, the most at peace with yourself. Each day we take countless breaths, while they may be important because it’s a sign that we are still living, it’s the rare moments when we stop breathing and come back that give us a sense of appreciation for what we already have. Do you understand?”

Min Na fidgeted with her hands. All of what her grandmother was saying made sense. It really did. However it felt wrong.

“Halmuhnee, what if you just want to get by without losing a breath? What if I want to keep breathing normally so I can be me? I need to stay composed, I need be me, I still have so many things to take care of.”

Min Na’s grandmother tightened her fingers around Min Na’s hands.

“Min Na ah, I know you. Everything you say and do, I know why you do it. You’ve grown up so strong. Thanks to your father, you’ve grown up so strong, and I’m so proud. But Min Na ah, you have to learn to be soft. You need to learn to be both. Like toffee Min Na. You need to be strong when the situation seems bleak and hopeless, but sometimes when you’re surrounded by warmth you need to be soft. That is the only way to completely live your life Min Na ah, you’ve got the strong part down pat, but I want to see you be soft. Let your worries fade away for a while and let moments in life take your breath away.”

“Halmuhnee… I don’t know… I don’t know if that’s possible for me. I don’t know if I can do that… if I can…”

“Min Na ah, you’re just like your mother. You can do anything if you just put your mind to it. Just believe this old grandmother of yours okay? Even if it’s just for one day, it’ll get easier, but just for today Min Na ah, take off that rock hard armour that you wear.”

Min Na looked at her grandmother and smiled, was it possible that there could be a strong enough connection between her and the man, for her grandmother to be saying these things. She hardly knew the second man, but the image of his eyes, and they way that looked at her. Just looking into them took her breath away… but was it worth it? For her to throw away the heavy armour that she had carried all her life? One wrong move and she could lose everything. Everything she’s ever known would disappear right before her eyes. 

==============================================================================================

Author's Note: Second chapter! Yay! Tehehe, how was it guys? I hope it was okay, it might not be as good as the first but I'll make it up to you, and plus, our "Chicken Maniac" ONEW oppa has finally arrived! >_<

@yveT_Te: Hahah, thanks for taking the time to read this fic! 

@hiky4224: Hi there! Thanks for recommending the ulzzang, but I couldn't find any serious photos of her, she's pretty but she seems to only do cute and happy shots so it's hard. I decided to go for another ulzzang instead! I don't normally use them but thanks for recommending them! ^_^ I hope you continue to read! 

@zoeystar: Hehe, thanks for the comment! I hope you continue reading, this chapter may not be great, but I promise to keep writing better! >_<

COMMENTS PLEASE... silent readers I hope you are enjoying this so far! ^_^