Chapter 02

Childhood Friend

After they had dinner, Wonwoo helped Solbin to wash the dishes. The girl did not want him to do so, but Wonwoo insisted her so eventually they washed the dishes together while chattering. “Your brother once told me that you have a boyfriend now. Is that true?” asked Wonwoo after they had finished washing the dishes.

“Oh!” Solbin’s eyes widened. She did not expect that Wonwoo would ask her about that. She averted her gaze from the older male as she wiped her wet hands with towel. “Hmm, well…”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Wonwoo asked again in an upset tone. He assumed that Solbin’s response was a yes. Then he went closer to Solbin and nudged her arm. “Is he a nice guy?”

Solbin nodded timidly. “Yes, he is. But…”

“You have to take him along with us next time. I want to know this guy so I can considerate whether I can trust him or not to be your boyfriend,” cut Wonwoo, did not realize that Solbin was acting uneasy right in front of him.

“Oppa…” finally Solbin braved herself to look up at Wonwoo’s eyes.

Wonwoo frowned as he looked at Solbin. The girl looked sad and it made him wonder. “Yes?”

Solbin did not answer it directly. She took a deep breath ans slowly let it out from her lips. “Actually, my boyfriend and I…”

“What?” Wonwoo’s small eyes suddenly went wide. “Oh! You two will get engaged soon?”

“What?!” Solbin frowned then she shook her head. “No!”

“No way!” Wonwoo shook his head then chuckled. “You’ll get married?”

“No!” Solbin exclaimed with frustration. She palmed her face and hurriedly put her hand in the air, stopping Wonwoo when he was about to talk again. “Oppa, no, and stop butting in!” she pleaded. She sighed heavily then she said, “All I want to tell you is… my boyfriend and I are no longer dating.” Then she let a chuckle. “I should stop calling him my boyfriend, shouldn’t I? How silly I am!”

Wonwoo was stunned after he heard Solbin’s words. He did not expect the event. “Oh,” he was speechless, but he wanted to know more about what had happened between the girl’s last love story. “Since when…”

“We just broke up today,” cut Solbin.

“Why…”

“He said he didn’t love me anymore.” Solbin sighed heavily again then she looked down at her feet. She felt down again. Why should he ask me about this issue? She thought.

“Huh? Then he’s actually a jerk, I tell you!” Wonwoo said.

Solbin hurriedly lifted her face up and frowned at Wonwoo. “Oppa, you’re so mean!” she said. “You can’t say that. You don’t even meet him yet. He’s a nice guy.”

Wonwoo scowled. “If he’s a nice guy, he won’t say those words to you and break up with you,” he said as he looked at Solbin right on her eyes. “I bet he’s found someone new already.”

“Oppa!” Solbin shouted angrily.

“What?!” Wonwoo shouted back. He was angry that Solbin still defended her ex, but then he felt guilty when he saw the girl’s eyes started to get wet. “Oh… o-okay. I don’t have right to say that. I’m sorry.” Wonwoo pulled Solbin into his arms and hugged her. “Solbin ah, I don’t want you to get hurt,” he said sincerely. “Stop loving him! He doesn’t love you anymore. Don’t waste your time for him.”

“Don’t worry, oppa,” said Solbin in a weak tone. “I’ll be fine, I hope so.”

“Oh, come on!” Wonwoo pulled Solbin away and then he lifted her face to have a proper look on the girl. “What’s happened with my little sunny Solbin? She’s always bright and cheerful. Why is she filled with clouds now?” he asked as he palmed Solbin’s cheeks with both of his hands. Wonwoo smiled when the girl cracked a faint smile at him. “I’m sure you’ll be fine and if you have any problem, don’t be hesitated to tell me about it. I’ll help you!”

Solbin’s smile widened after she heard those words. “Thank you so much, oppa,” she gave Wonwoo a tight hug then she pulled away. “Talking about love, how about yours?” she asked curiously as she looke up at Wonwoo. “Do you have a girlfriend?”

Wonwoo nodded. “I have~”

“Oh? Really?” asked Solbin in surprise. Her brother told her that Wonwoo was still a single. “Who?”

Wonwoo smiled widely then he pointed his index finger to Solbin and said, “You!”

“What?!” Solbin’s eyes went wide then she hit Wonwoo’s chest lightly when she saw him laugh after seeing her reaction. “Oppa, I’m serious~” she pouted.

Wonwoo still laughed, but then he stopped laughing. “Okay, okay,” he gave in. “No. I’m still single,” he asked. “Why? Would you be my girlfriend?”

“Yah… stop playing around with me!” Solbin whined. She felt her heart beat faster for a while after she heard that confesion, but she hurriedly swept it away from her mind. “I can’t.” Solbin looked at her feet again.

“Why?” Wonwoo asked curiously. “You’re single. I’m single. Why don’t we try to mingle?”

“I can’t yet. Just can’t,” Solbin answered.

Wonwoo sighed. He was a bit disappointed by her answer because he knew that Solbin more or less still loved her ex. In fact, Wonwoo has a crush on her since they were kids, but he did not want to ruin their friendship since Solbin only considerated him as her oppa. He was okay though as long as the girl would be happy with her life. “Okay,” he said after he was silent for a moment. It was kind of awkward and he regretted his confesion earlier. Then he found a new topic for them to be talked. “By the way, why did you ask me about that?”

Solbin chuckled as she moved her feet slowly. “Well, I purposely planned this dinner to introduce you to my roommate,” she said with a wide smile to Wonwoo. “She’s pretty, kind, caring, and she doesn’t have a boyfriend so…”

“So you want to match me up with her?” cut Wonwoo.

“Yeah,” Solbin nodded then she sighed. “But it’s ruined because of the accident.”

“Too bad!” exclaimed Wonwoo. “Now, I’m curious about her.” He tried to be interested in to the topic. He did not want to let Solbin down. The girl had made the plan for him and he did not want to say no right away after he knew about her plan. “Do you have any photo of her?”

“Yes, of course,” Solbin nodded. “Wait for a minute! I’ll take my phone. Oh! Oppa, please, have a seat in the living room. I’ll go there!”

Wonwoo nodded then he walked to the living room and sat on a couch. His eyes were wondering around, but they suddenly stopped at a photo frame that was turned over on the coffee table. he frowned at it then he took it to know what picture it would be and why it was turned over as if not giving permission to anyone to look at it. It was Solbin’s picture with a guy that he did not know, looking at him with happy smiles on their faces while hugging each other. At the bottom of the picture, there was some letters that said, ‘Jun & Solbin, a happy couple’. Finally, Wonwoo knew the face of Solbin’s ex. I’ll go punch him if he’s really a jerk for sure! He thought. He hurriedly put the frame and turned it over like before when he heard footsteps coming closer to the living room.

“Here it is!” exclaimed Solbin happily as she showed the picture to Wonwoo after she took a seat next to the older maler. “She’s pretty, isn’t she?”

Wonwoo smiled widely then he nodded. “Yes, she is.” He did not know why, but he felt he had seen the shoulder-length-haired girl in the picture before. His eyes looks familiar, he thought. “What’s her name?”

“Yulhee,” answered Solbin. “Kim Yulhee.”

“Yulhee… Kim…” Wonwoo slowly repeated then his eyes went wide when he remembered something. “Ah! I also have a friend from Kim and they look a bit similar.”

“Really?” Solbin asked in surprise.

Wonwoo nodded. “Yes. His name is Kim Mingyu.”

“Kim Mingyu?” Solbin frowned at the name. It sounds familiar, she thought.

“Yeah. It must be a coincidence or maybe my eyes aren’t working well right now. I’m getting old,” Wonwoo chuckled then he got up on his feet. “By the way, I have to go home now,” he said after  he looked at the clock on the wall. “I still have to arrange my new place and it’s almost your bedtime.”

“What? It’s still nine o’clock,” protested Solbin. “I don’t have bedtime hour, you know,” she pouted.

“You shouldn’t stay up late if you want to stay pretty,” Wonwoo flicked his fingers on Solbin’s forehead.

Solbin groaned as she rubbed her forehead. “Seriously…”

Wonwoo chuckled again. “Anyway, you have to give me a visit someday.” He took a card from his denim pocket and gave it to Solbin. “That’s my address. Don’t forget to send your friend my regards.”

Solbin nodded after she took the card. “I will.” Then she walked Wonwoo to the door after the man took his coat and luggage along with him.

“Thanks for the dinner, Solbin ah!” said Wonwoo with a wide smile.

“And thanks for your visit, Oppa!” said Solbin with a wider smile than Wonwoo’s. She was happy that she should not have to feel down anymore after the break up because of her childhood friend’s brief visit.

 

***

 

feel free to say what you think about the story!

Thanks for reading! :)