02.

Music and Lyrics

The sizzling sound and savory scent of meat cooking in the kitchen caused for Jaehwan to scramble out of his bed. He ran out of his bedroom and headed for the kitchen. Instrumental from his favorite Indie band was playing on the speakers, welcoming a still sleepy Jaehwan. Once he got near the kitchen, a smile crept up on his face. Jaehwan saw someone cooking bacon by the stove.

 

“Oh. I thought I was in charge of breakfast today?” He rubbed the drowsiness off his eyes and sat on one of the stools placed near the island that stood between Jaehwan and the one cooking.

 

“You are in charge but I don’t think I can live if you only keep on cooking ramen, Jaehwan.” Nari turned around to look at Jaehwan. She grabbed a plate already with eggs and toast and placed the freshly cooked bacon on it. “Plus I am kind of craving for bacon and eggs today, so I decided to cook.”

 

Nari took the plate with eggs, bacon and toast on the opposite counter and handed it to Jaehwan. He thanked her with a smile and with his playful gesture of flying kisses. Nari rolled her eyes and sat across Jaehwan with her own plate of breakfast.

 

“Are you going somewhere today?” Jaehwan asked, getting himself a glass of milk from the fridge. “You seem early today. Have any gigs?”

 

“Yeah but it’s not a gig I’m going to.” Nari took a bite on her toast. “Remember the guy I told you about?”

 

Jaehwan returned to his seat and drank his glass of milk. “The stalker-turned-producer-Ravi?”

 

Nari nodded. She reached out her hand and wiped the hint of milk just above Jaehwan’s puffed lips. “Yes. That one.” Jaehwan chuckled and asked what it was about. Nari had mentioned to Jaehwan of meeting the very famous Ravi in an unusual way; he could still remember how Nari described it. He acted like some stalker because she kept on seeing him everywhere she goes and one day Nari decided to confront him only to realize that it was Ravi after she said some things to him.

 

“Well I’m going to see him later.”

 

Jaehwan bobbed his head, eating a piece of bacon. “So you are helping him out? That is so nice of you Nari. Where are you guys going to meet up today?”

 

“At his place.”

 

“OH.” Jaehwan then grinned. He reached for Nari’s hand and softly patted it. “Don’t do anything stupid, okay? Ravi is still young which means he is still a passionate man like me that has needs.”

 

Nari laughed sarcastically and flicked Jaehwan’s forehead who yelped due to the sudden attack. “It’s not like that! And puh-lease…you have needs? I hardly see you with any girl.”

 

“Oh…there are other ways besides with a girl Nari.” Jaehwan gave her a rather suspicious look, eyebrows rising and falling. Nari acted disgusted, taking a bite on her toast again.

 

“Ew, Jaehwan. Seriously.” Nari remarked, as she chewed slowly and looked at her friend distastefully. “Of all things we can talk about early in the morning, you chose this topic for today.”

 

Jaehwan winked. “Just like any other breakfast we have.”

 

Nari reached for Jaehwan’s glass of milk and drank it empty. She smiled, “Would you please just eat your breakfast in peace? I would love it if you do that…for me.”

 

Jaehwan listened and stopped making any adult-teasing comments. “Will you let me hear one of the songs you two are making someday?” Jaehwan took a portion of Nari’s scrambled eggs and exchanged it with one of his toast, offering it to her.

“Of course.” Nari leaned in and took a bite off Jaehwan’s toast.


It was nearing lunchtime at Wonsik’s. Music flowed within the walls of his pad; the slow plucking of an acoustic guitar accompanied with Nari’s smooth humming. Wonsik let the hilt of his pencil touch the table’s surface numerous times. He stared at the words written on his lyric notebook, it’s all jumbled now. Just then the music stopped; a hand took his notebook away from his reach. His eyes went straight to the one who stole it. Nari. This girl really has no manners at all.

It’s been a week since the two had themselves acquainted and teamed up to help Wonsik come up with lyrics and a few beats for the music. Wonsik and Nari saw each other every day; whenever Nari’s schedule was free, Wonsik would call her and ask where to meet-- usually at his place. If not, they would meet at a café or at a park but never at LeShinSet. Wonsik wondered and asked about it the other day to which Nari simply answered that LeShinSet was not a place to make music but a place where you perform and enjoy it. Wow. What a philosophical being you are.

Also, for the past seven days they have been together, Wonsik had learned some things about Nari regarding her work (which was kind of cool for Wonsik), a brief family background (an only child; a world-class pianist for a mother and one of Seoul’s prime orchestra conductor as father. No wonder she’s talented.), and her unusual manly (instead of feminine) behavior. She’s so lively and loud but when she sings she looks like all innocent and cute.

As of now, they had finished working on two songs. So far so good. She’s good for me. Wonsik took a closer look at Nari who was quietly scanning the lyrics he had written.

 

“Hm. I think you should change this part.” Nari grabbed the pencil from Wonsik and used it to pinpoint the verse she wanted change. She scribbled words, scratched others out and read it out loud once done. “Throw away all your negative feelings and fill it up with my love,”

 

Wonsik hummed, agreeing with what Nari wrote and said. She smiled proudly and praised herself. She spread her arms wide and proudly patted her shoulder. “Voila. Well done Nari, well done.”

 

“As expected.” Wonsik grinned, taking the notebook away from Nari. He took a long look at the lyrics once more and found satisfaction with it. He glanced at the wallclock and noticed it was past noon. He asked Nari if she wanted to eat yet; she answered yes. “Yeah, I’m hungry too. Should I order? Or should we eat outside?”

 

“No need. I’ll cook.” Nari searched for a scrunchie on her bag and tied her hair into a messy bun. She got up from the floor where she and Wonsik had been working. “Where’s the kitchen?”

 

Wonsik stood and guided Nari to the kitchen. She paced towards the fridge and opened it, having a good look on what the composer has in his fridge. Her eyes widened at the visual she was seeing. “Wow. Look at this.”

 

“What?” Wonsik stood close next to her and stared at the fridge. “Something wrong?” Nari turned to Wonsik and elbowed the composer right on his stomach; he winced. Ouch. She laughed rather unladylike and pointed at the various items carefully organized inside the fridge.

 

“I’ve never seen a guy’s fridge this so organized. It’s like your mom does all the cooking and cleaning here! Or,” she raised her forefinger, signaling that she had another idea. “Do you have a housekeeper?”

 

Wonsik rubbed the nape of his neck and distracted himself away from Nari, not bothering to answer her one question. Nari smirked. “OH my—this is all you! Wow, I can’t even…Wow. Our fridge is nowhere near as clean and organized as yours.”

 

“Our?” Wonsik knew that Nari lived somewhere and not with her parents; so this word got him interested. “I thought you live alone?” he asked.

 

Nari shook her head and pointed at herself. “I live with Jaehwan. Me and Jaehwan. Though he bought the fridge but since we live together so I get to say it’s our fridge.”

 

“Jaehwan?”

 

Nari clasped her hands and realized that she hadn’t told Wonsik about Jaehwan at all. She smiled while grabbing her phone inside her pants pocket. She looked for a decent image of her and Jaehwan; after a long time scrolling passed their ugly and shameful pictures, she found one decent enough. “This is Jaehwan.”

 

Wonsik took the phone from her and stared at the picture. Jaehwan smiled happily next to a similar Nari. The two were wearing the same blue cotton sweater and had their arms wrapped around each other. Ah, this guy. He returned the phone and asked if the two were in a relationship; Nari then explained her and Jaehwan’s relationship. Hearing that she was single made Wonsik smile for no reason. “So…he won’t be jealous with what’s happening between us?”

 

“Something’s happening between us?” She said, taking ingredients out of his fridge and handing it to him. Wonsik placed everything on top of the counter.

 

“The writing and stuff. He might think I’m taking you away from him. People can be clingy.” Wonsik explained. “Some guys are like that…I’m like that.”

 

“Nope. Jaehwan isn’t like that. He understands." Nari shut the fridge and went to where the ingredients were placed. She glanced at Wonsik and mentioned the name of the dish they were to make. “So you’re like that huh? What a clingy person you are.”

 

“I’m not THAT clingy...”

 

Nari asked for some utensils and Wonsik took them out for her. Nari thanked him; she washed her hand and started preparing the food. “You know, you could make a song about that. You being clingy to the girl. Can you please peel and slice them for me? Thank you.” she handed him a handful of potatoes.

 

“Stop it. Like I said, I’m not clingy.” Wonsik repeated. He walked to where the sink was and cleaned the potatoes with running water. After doing so, he washed his own hands. The two then silently prepared the food; Wonsik asking a few questions here and there. It was quite pleasant for Wonsik to have this kind of experience: cooking with someone. It was fun despite some harsh comments from Nari on how to cook this and that but nonetheless…fun. It’s been so long since he had bonding like this with someone.

Just then the front door opened without any consent. A tall figure entered Wonsik’s pad and sighed loudly. “Listen Kim Wonsik, I have a bad yet slightly good news to tell—who is this?” he asked pointing at Nari who was halfway done cooking.

 

“Nice to see you too, Binnie.” Wonsik greeted.

 

Hongbin walked to where Nari and Wonsik were. He opened the fridge and grabbed himself a bottle of water. Wonsik, who was sitting on the counter, called Nari’s attention and pointed at Hongbin. “This is Hongbin. My agent. Hongbin, Nari. Nari, Hongbin.”

 

“And friend,” Hongbin added. The two then introduced themselves to each other and shook hands. Nari smiled, letting go of Hongbin’s hand and went back to attend what she was busily cooking earlier. “I’m here to help Wonsik with his work.”

 

Hongbin’s brows furrowed. “Work? Really? It doesn’t look like you two are working. More like playing house, no offense.”

 

“None taken.” Nari beamed. “If we were playing house then you’d be the nagging mother-in-law.” The remark not only made the composer and agent laugh but quite got Hongbin’s full attention. She laughed apologetically and told Hongbin that they decided to eat before continuing with work. “Care to join us?”

 

Hongbin shook his head, declining the offer politely. “As much as I’d love to, I can’t.”

 

Wonsik then asked why Hongbin came by, not that he didn’t want his company but whenever Hongbin goes to his place without notice there’s always a reason to it. Hongbin drank his water before speaking up. “The CEO wants you back next week. Your favorite hoobae is going to release a song and he wants you to produce it.”

 

Wonsik grinned. As usual. He asked if his hoobae had ideas or any requests for this particular comeback. Hongbin answered that there had been no discussions yet as to what song it will be. Wonsik then crossed his arms and glanced at Nari who just had finished cooking. “Nari.”

 

“What?” Nari turned.

 

“Do you want to collaborate with me?”

 


Wonsik stared at the beautiful mixed colors of orange, red and violet painted on the sky. He walked slowly, definitely enjoying the view. Wow. She never told me that they have an awesome view here. He glanced on his left where Nari was. She had her eyes on the street; feeling that she was being watched, Nari turned to Wonsik. “Is there something on my face?” she asked.

 

“No. Can’t I just look at you?”

 

Nari made a disgusted look. She pushed Wonsik childishly away and teased that he was making a move on her. This resulted to Wonsik laughing out loud, “You seriously think I’d do that? I have no interest in dating right now.”

 

Nari questioned Wonsik who was putting up a cool façade. She laughed, “How come? You’re like at the top of your game right now.”

 

Wonsik shrugged, explaining that he’s too preoccupied with his work that he has no time for dating. Nari pouted and reassured him that there will be someone for him. Not long, the two stood in front of a twenty-story building. Nari asked if he wanted to come in but Wonsik politely declined since he had to be somewhere else. He asked when they could meet again; Nari crossed her arms and thought of her schedule tomorrow. “I have my usual street performance in the morning, lunch date with my parents…Sorry I don’t think we can meet up tomorrow…I’m only free late at night.” Nari frowned.

 

“It’s okay.” Wonsik said.

 

“Oh! I’ll be at LeShinSet by 8PM.” Nari said, “Do you want to come with me?”

 

Wonsik found this as an opportunity to tease Nari. He grinned, “Are you asking me out on a date Nari?”

 

Nari laughed, shaking her head as a no. “Unbelievable.” She then explained that she will be performing tomorrow night since Taekwoon had requested yet again. Wonsik said yes and told to meet up at the place. She then beamed, “I’ll be looking forward to it and it’s still not a date!”

 

“Whatever you say so.” Wonsik chuckled. He took a few steps back, “Wear something nice okay?”

 

Nari rolled her eyes. “I always wear nice clothes!”

 

Wonsik waved goodbye and headed back.


Wonsik entered the all too familiar LeSHinSet. People gathered near the stage where a guy was singing while strumming his guitar. The mood, as usual, was quite pleasant and nice. Wonsik scanned the room and saw Nari talking with someone by the bar. He approached the two and by halfway, Nari spotted him. She waved him a hello, grabbing the person’s arm she was with. The person turned; it was her best friend Jaehwan. Wonsik reached them in no time. He smiled and greeted the two.

 

“Oh, so this is the infamous Ravi.” Jaehwan beamed. The two shook hands. “It’s nice to finally meet you. Nari here has told me many things about you.”

 

“Hopefully they’re all good.” Wonsik said, letting go of Jaehwan’s hand. Jaehwan went back on his chair, crossing his arms and legs.

 

“I don’t know. Some were pretty messed up—OWW!” Nari had just hit her arm. Jaehwan kidded and mentioned to Wonsik that Nari tells him pretty good stuff about him and what they were working on. “Please take good care of Nari.”

 

“I will.” Wonsik said. Just then Taekwoon called for Nari since she was next to perform. She excused herself from the two boys and went to the stage, greeted with claps and cheers. She bowed and greeted everyone as well. She sat on the middle of the stage surrounded by the regular pianist and guitarist of the bar. She glanced over at Jaehwan and Wonsik who were talking. Track 07.

When I open my eyes, today awaits

The sunset is fading away without me knowing

On my way home, at the corner of the street

 

The numerous lovers over there

The happy crowds

That’s when I suddenly feel alone

Doo doo doo doo doo

 

Things to worry filling my eyes

A small sigh that I couldn’t hid

Everyone needs love

(Let there be love, fall in love)

 

Love, falling in love

Falling in love again and again, again

Falling in love falling love, falling in love

Again and again, again

 

When we are together, when we look each other in the eye

And when we smile, when we talk about love

Doo doo doo doo doo

 

Love, falling in love

Falling in love again and again

Love, falling in love

falling in love again and again

love, falling love love again and again

love, falling in love love again and again

 

When we are together, when we look at each other in the eye

And when we smile

When we are together, when we look each other in the eye

And when we smile, when we talk about love

 

Love, falling in love

Falling in love again and again, again

Falling in love falling in love, falling in love

Again and again, again

 

Love, falling in love

Falling in love again and again


While Nari was singing one of her originals, Jaehwan asked Wonsik if he wanted a drink; Wonsik nodded. Jaehwan then ordered for two mugs of beer. While waiting, Jaehwan was curious on how Wonsik was with his best friend and so he asked questions regarding to it. “So how’s writing with Nari? She isn’t being bossy is she?”

 

Wonsik grinned. “She’s okay. She tends to change some of my lyrics; it hurts my pride as a lyricist but I get and accept it since she does improve it a lot.”

 

“I see.” Jaehwan slowly bobbed his head. He glanced at Nari who was singing at the crowd with a cute smile. She was enjoying it as usual. “That’s great to hear. Nari can be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to anything related to music. Music is natural for her. To her, music is like breathing.”

 

Wonsik noted what Jaehwan had said. The conversation shifted to their line of work. They had some things in common which they found quite amusing. Their beers arrived courtesy of Taekwoon; they clanked their beers before drinking it. Nari was on her third song Track 08. when Jaehwan decided to ask something crucial. “I know that you’ve only known Nari for almost half a month now. It’s really great to have her around especially when she’s a friend. She’s reliable, fun, gullible and loud. Plus she’s beautiful: inside and out.”

 

Wonsik’s brow furrowed. “What are you trying to say Jaehwan?” He knew that this strange opening was leading to a possibly weird conversation that Wonsik had no intention of dwelling into.

 

Jaehwan finished his beer and placed it back on the bar. He cleared his throat and pointed discreetly at Nari and back at Wonsik. “Given that my best friend is oh so perfect, you’ll likely to fall for her just like the rest of the men that had been close with her.”

 

Wonsik scoffed. Seriously? “I like Nari but I’m pretty sure it won’t lead to that extent.”

 

Jaehwan laughed. “Oh man, I’m sorry to say this but you’re already on your way.” Wonsik then asked why. Jaehwan simply smiled and stared at Nari. “Because everyone does. Every guy that gets to meet her experiences the same feeling. The feeling of something stirring inside you. The feeling where it slowly consumes you without prior notice and the next thing you know, you’ve become too attached to this person that it’s suffocating to see her be someone else’s.” Jaehwan explained, “It’s not exactly the love you think but the line between loving her as a friend and a something even more.”

Wonsik took a close look at Jaehwan. Could it be that? That he…better not to ask. That’s not yours to know. Jaehwan then asked if Nari told Wonsik to not fall in love with her; Wonsik nodded to which Jaehwan smiled unfazed by it.

 

“She always does that when she meets a guy but the guy always end up falling for her.” Jaehwan explained. “And she would turn them down immediately.”

 

“Did she say that to you too?” Wonsik asked.

 

“Hell no,” Jaehwan answered. “I never confessed. I can’t.” Just after Jaehwan spoke, he realized what he had said. He glanced at Wonsik and chuckled nervously. Wonsik patted him and told him he won’t speak a word about it at all. Jaehwan thanked Wonsik. “You know, I wouldn’t mind if you find yourself ended up liking her. It’s inevitable.”

 

“Jaehwan, I told you—“

 

“I even think you’ll have a shot with her.” Jaehwan said, “Just. Just please be good to Nari. She’s someone whom I cherish a lot and it would be great to see her be with someone she’s happy with.”

 

The song ended and people cheered on Nari. She thanked them and made her way back to where Jaehwan and Wonsik were. She tackled Jaehwan to a hug and smiled brightly. “How was I?”

 

“As always perfect.” Jaehwan gave him two thumbs up. Nari then scowled, saying that she saw Jaehwan talking with Wonsik and that he wasn’t listening at all. Jaehwan laughed and hugged her tightly. “Aw! Nari don’t get mad at me!”

 

Wonsik smiled at what he was seeing. Nari then pointed at Wonsik and pouted. “You didn’t listen as well!”

 

“Wha—“ Wonsik sighed. He shook his head in disbelief and gave up. “Fine. I wasn’t listening the whole time but I did. I mean come on, I hear your voice every freaking day.”

 

Nari kicked Wonsik’s shin. “You wanted to hear me every day, Wonsik!” she giggled. The three laughed; Wonsik then had his eyes on Nari. Jaehwan’s words lingered on his mind. I’m quite sure that I won’t be like one of those guys. Really sure. 


It’s been a month and a half now since Wonsik went back to work. His vacation was long over and done; it did some good to him, he admitted and for that he was thankful to Hongbin. His brain was functioning well enough again for him to make songs that quite satisfied him but even though he’s back to his usual work mode, Wonsik still found time to go in Hongdae and meet up with Nari; sometimes with Jaehwan as well. He had made some unlikely friendship, Hongbin once said.

He doesn’t even need to go to LeShinSet just to see Nari; well basically because the two saw each other most of the time outside since Nari agreed to do a collaboration with Wonsik. The two were working on an album for one of Wonsik’s hoobaes. Apparently that hoobae never worked with anyone else but Wonsik.

Speaking of Nari, Wonsik was currently working with Nari on the last song for his hoobae’s album. Wonsik had been spending most of his time with Nari nowadays. The two have gotten closer and have built a solid friendship over the month. A friendship that Wonsik knew that was leading somewhere he thought won’t happen. Damn it Jaehwan.

 

“Hey.” Nari snapped Wonsik out of his thoughts.  Wonsik glanced at Nari and saw her sitting next to him inside his studio, looking confusingly at him. “I asked if I could stay over the night. Oh my, please don’t tell me you’re thinking of weird stuff because if you are I will smack you right on the face.”

 

Wonsik chuckled. “What kind of person do the hell do you think I am?”

 

Nari laughed loudly. “Sorry, can’t help it.” She said apologetically. “Hey, you still haven’t answered my question yet.”

 

Wonsik then smiled and told her that she could stay since it was getting late already. It was already 11 in the evening and they were still doing the final song. Wonsik’s hoobae had wanted a song that would mean a lot for his fans and so Nari took her time in listening to some songs of Wonsik’s hoobae before jutting down ideas and writing the lyrics. Nari then asked Wonsik if she could change clothes for her to be comfortable and all; Wonsik pointed at his bathroom and Nari got up, grabbing her backpack, and headed to the bathroom. Wonsik then played the instrumental he was doing and listened to it with his eyes closed.

Oh man, I’m sorry to say this but you’re already on your way

 

“You warned me and yet here I am. Why me too?” Wonsik sighed, quite frustrated with himself.

 

Because everyone does. Wonsik rubbed his eyes, “So unfair.” Every guy that gets to meet her experiences the same feeling. The feeling of something stirring inside you. “Nope. Nope.” Wonsik shook his head, still in denial. “I hate it. I hate this feeling.” The feeling where it slowly consumes you without prior notice and the next thing you know, you’ve become too attached to this person that it’s suffocating to see her be someone else’s.

 

Just then, Wonsik heard Nari come out of the bathroom. He turned and saw Nari walking back in the studio. She wore an oversized white band shirt and pink pajamas, Cute. Damn it. If I’ve seen her before I would tell to myself how childish she looks right now…but what happened? Oh right. You like her now, Kim Wonsik. Wonsik quickly looked back on the computer screen. Focus damn it.

 

“So where were we?” Nari sat next to Wonsik, tying her hair into a messy bun. The hairstyle Wonsik had grown a liking to. Wonsik then gave her the lyrics and told her where exactly they left off.

 

She quickly went to work; Wonsik did the same. And so for hours they worked hard; fixing lyrics, improving the instrumental, and tried singing it. The two didn’t even notice that it was already 3 in the morning; by the time they were done Wonsik was the only one awake.

 

“Finally! Done.” Wonsik exclaimed and was about to ask a high five from Nari but found out that she was already sleeping. Her head rested on the desk while she was sitting on a chair; It’s not exactly the love you think but the line between loving her as a friend and a something even more. Wonsik shook his head. “Stop it.”

 

Wonsik then tried waking Nari but she was too deep in her sleep. Better put her to bed. He rose from his seat and effortlessly carried Nari to his bedroom. He decided that it’s better for Nari to sleep in his bed so she’d be comfortable while he sleeps on the couch. He gently put Nari under the covers and let her get comfortable. Wonsik stared at her, people fall in love with you because you’re great not just in appearance but in personality as well. No wonder many guys confessed to you. He crouched so his eyes would meet her sleeping face. I wonder…if I did tell you…will you accept me? I don’t want to ruin what we have right now. Wonsik leaned in and kissed Nari’s temple. “Sweet dreams.”

 

Wonsik finally stood and exited the room. Just after a few seconds, Nari opened her eyes and stared blankly. She raised her hand and touched her forehead; Wonsik’s warmth was still there. 


The next few days were a blast not only for Wonsik but for Nari as well. The album for Wonsik's hoobae was finally done and that only meant one thing: recording. After polishing the album, Wonsik had called his hoobae's agent and told them of the situation, without any more words his hoobae and agent drove to the company's studio and wanted to record it immediately. Wonsik asked Nari if she wanted to come; she gladly said yes. 

The two went to the company's studio and met up with Wonsik's hoobae. Upon their arrival, Wonsik was swarmed by two tall men. Wonsik's hoobae was none other than the successful artist Han Sanghyuk better known for his stage name, Hyuk. Hyuk was accompanied by his agent, Hakyeon. The four exchanged greetings; it was all professional, something new for Nari but nonetheless a breath of fresh air. After the introductions and warm greetings, Wonsik let Hyuk listen to all of the tracks on the album, and Nari and Hakyeon discussed the contents of the album.  While listening, Hyuk nudged Wonsik for attention and asked a question Wonsik was avoiding. 

 

"Are you and Nari...an item?" Hyuk let out a small chuckle. This kid. Wonsik shook his head and answered a strong no. Hyuk then asked another question. "Do you like her?" Wonsik nodded. "Are you going to ask her out?" 

 

"Would you please just focus on the song?" Wonsik hit Hyuk's head with a folder and sighed. "Don't dwell into my private life when we're here for work."

 

"Oh." Hyuk teased, "I can't believe this. Ravi, the famous Ravi, has the hots for his co-worker." 

 

"Mind your own business." Wonsik said, threatening to hit his hoobae with the folder again. "Listen to the song." 

 

"Whatever." Hyuk shrugged and listened to the song that was playing. Wonsik was sure that he will never hear the end of Hyuk later. After listening to the songs, Hakyeon approved the album and announced that they will be recording the next day. And so, Wonsik and Nari carefully monitored the production. Hongbin would sometimes visit; there were also times when Jaehwan would stop by for Nari and two of them leaving for their gigs and hangouts letting Wonsik received teases from Hyuk and Hakyeon. Apparently, his hoobae had mentioned it to his agent as well. 

 

"Aw. Dude. You should really ask her out." Hyuk said, over the mic. "You're losing to that foreigner!" 

 

Wonsik chuckled, "Jaehwan's not a foreigner. He's Korean. And can you stop with the teasing? We still have three more songs to work on."

 

"I think Hyukkie's right." Hakyeon commented. "The girl's great. You shouldn't lose this opportunity." 

 

Wonsik turned to his hoobae's agent and gave him a dead stare. "Please don't encourage nor support the kid." 

 

Hyuk and Hakyeon laughed and apologized and mentioned that they'll go back to their serious mode. Hyuk then asked if he could record the last song first since it had a moderate beat. Wonsik approved and let Hyuk record it. Track 09. Upon hearing the piano in the background, Wonsik realized that it was Nari's song. The song was definitely hers. It's lyrics definitely reflects the Nari he had been spending time with. 

About not too long ago, I woke up feeling kind of blue

Picked up my phone and  I decided that I hit up you

We talked for a little while, ask me if I could  roll through

Met up, got food, and we spent time till the night was through

Wonsik listened to the lyrics. Is she talking about us?  Wonsik thought. 

Can I call you my own, and can I call you my lover

Call you my one and only girl

Call you my everything, call you my baby 

You're the only who runs my world

Nope, stop thinking like that. Wonsik cursed himself. His mind was in a blur as of the moment. 

I remember this night we had, outside on the grass us two

Gazin' at stars who smiled as my eyes slowly turned towards you

There was no one else I needed and my love's never felt this way

Too sure if you would mind I was nervous but I had to say

 

Call you my own, and can I call you my lover

Call you my one and only girl

Call you my everything, call you my baby

You're the only one who runs my world

The instrumental let Wonsik's mind drift to their times at LeShinset. Nari's smile. Nari's laugh. Nari's voice. Nari's face. Nari's everything. 

Call you my own, and can I call you my lover

Call you my one and only girl

Call you my everything, call you my baby

You're the only one who runs my world

 

Call you my own, and can I call you my lover

Call you my one and only girl

Call you my everything, call you my baby

You're the only one who runs my world, byeolbit

Then and there, Wonsik had decided. 


The album was done and was to be released exactly at midnight. Jaehwan had done a surprise party for Wonsik and Nari at LeShinSet  since he thought it would be best to celebrate it, given that it was Nari's first on producing an album and a comeback for Wonsik since he had a long break. LeShinSet was closed for the public and only the invited were there. A few folks Nari and Jaehwan knew, Wonsik's company and friends and Hyuk's close friends and co-workers were present. Everything was going smoothly; the food, the venue, and especially the music.  

The two received congratulations and praises from people and the two thanked them heartily. By the time they had met everyone, Nari went quickly over to Jaehwan's side. She let herself fall over Jaehwan, who caught her in his arms, and began complaining that she was getting tired due to the heels that Jaehwan forced him to wear. Jaehwan then helped her back on her feet. 

 

"Oh please, Nari! Just for one night, you could be a few inches taller." Jaehwan teased which received a hit from her. After a few more bickering, Jaehwan congratulated Nari again; he's been congratulating her ever since he heard that the song was done. "Ah! I'm so proud and happy for you Toki!" Jaehwan embraced Nari tightly and kissed her cheeks. Nari laughed and playfully pushed Jaehwan away, saying that he was once again being too touchy and clingy.

Wonsik saw the situation and felt something aching inside. Ugh. Jealousy? I see. Don't be. Jaehwan noticed Wonsik and immediately released Nari and ran towards him giving him a tight hug as well. 

 

"Please don't kiss me." Wonsik pleaded. Jaehwan chuckled and promised Wonsik that he'd never do that. He released the composer and patted him on the shoulder, congratulating and thanking him for giving Nari an opportunity to produce songs for someone famous. Wonsik shook his hand and chuckled, "I should be the one thanking her. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't be able to produce songs like the ones we did." 

Jaehwan nodded. Then a glint in his eyes changed, "I know what you're planning to do later." 

 

Wonsik's eyes widened. How did he? Jaehwan grinned and mentioned that he overheard one of his conversations with Hyuk once about asking someone out. Before Wonsik could react, Jaehwan had spoken again. "I wish you the best. I'll be rooting for the two of you." 

 

"Thanks." Wonsik said. Just then, the music stopped. Everyone's attention was on the stage where Nari was standing. She had a wide grin on her face and that told everyone she was up to something. She greeted everyone with a good evening and that she wanted to thank everyone who came; Nari then made a very long speech about how she became a musician to how she awkwardly met Wonsik and how their friendship blossomed. She pointed Wonsik and laughed nervously. 

 

"So, I made a song for you. Hope you like it." Nari beamed and cued for the musicians to play. Track 10.

Nowadays, you seem to be worrying a lot

You don't seem to know what to do

Our song that we used to sing together

I can't hear it anymore

 

In fact, you really smile a lot

So before someone worries, let it all go and stand back up

Because you're going to greet me with your sunny smile

It's not going to be easy, becoming grown up, that is

 

We're all in this together, let's push forward

Let's go back to the way you used to be

Sing a new song of hope

Hopeful for a new world waiting for you

 

Stand up and start running again

When you want to give up 

Cheer up and sing a happy song 

Someday, today will become a memory

Be thankful, remember, be strong my friend

 

Hope for a world for you

When you want to give up

Cheer up and sing a happy song

Someday, today will become a memory

Be thankful, remember, be strong my friend

Nari then finished the song with a shoutout to Wonsik, "Thank you very much for coming into my life, you're one of the precious people in my heart." The crowd cheered and clapped for Nari as she went down and headed back to Jaehwan and Wonsik. 

 

"Oh, I'll just go and get us guys a drink from Taekwoon a bit." Jaehwan gestured at the bar where Taekwoon was talking to Hakyeon. "How about you guys go and have a little chat?" 

 

Jaehwan glanced at Wonsik and winked at him. Wonsik chuckled and mouthed Jaehwan a thank you. Before Jaehwan could go, Nari had pulled him back and asked for a lemonade since she wasn't feeling like drinking at all. Jaehwan took note of it and went ahead. Nari then turned back to Wonsik and gave him a smug grin. "What are you two planning? Is there another surprise? Did you and Jaehwan set up a trap for me?"

 

"What? No." Wonsik laughed. "Do you always think badly of the men in your life?"

 

Nari laughed, "Well if the men in my life won't stop with the teasing and the bickering and the pranks then I guess no." 

 

"Nari." Wonsik then asked the one question that had been lingering on his mind since he had confirmed his feelings for Nari. "Remember the day we first met? You told me two things. You'd help me with music and I won't fall in love with you. What if I told you I'm starting to...I won't say the word love since it's a heavy word. More like, I'm starting to like you more than just a friend of mine. What would your reaction be?"

 

Nari then crossed her arms and hummed. She looked at her tired feet then back at Wonsik and smiled. 

It's been a year now and my name as a songwriter and producer was still on the A-list, for that I'm grateful. I've been writing and producing songs countless of times now. Sometimes I even ask Nari for help. She's really great at what she does. I  can't even believe that I get to meet someone like her. She's such a great person. Anyone who hasn't met her yet or know her the way I do is such a shame. I wish people would know more of her. True that she had produced a few songs for artists here and there but she always go back to her roots which was outside of the limelight. Behind the mic at our favorite place, LeShinSet. The place where it all started. The place where I get to see her again. The place where she first approached me. The place where I found peace and happiness. The place where I confessed to Nari. And the place where she rejected me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hurt nor mad at her. 

Nari then crossed her arms and hummed. She looked at her tired feet then back at Wonsik and smiled. That smile had Wonsik worry; his mind then went mad. What kind of smile is that? Nari grinned and took Wonsik's hand. "If you did, I would hold your hand like this and look at you in the eyes." she stared at Wonsik's eyes, "I would say that you're a precious friend of mine. I would tell you that I have fun when I'm with you; that I get to share some of my secrets with you; that I'm comfortable with you."

 

Nari squeezed his hand, "And that I'm sorry because I can't accept your feelings and that I won't be able to return the same feelings you have for me."

 

On that day I had my hopes up. That day I had my heart crushed. That day I learned something. Nari was someone who had feelings for someone else all along. The reason why she had rejected the previous men before me was because she was already in love. She was in love with him. I should've seen it, known it but I was too blinded by my very own brewing feelings for her. 

 

Wonsik plastered a smile on his face, "I understand. Thank you for giving me an honest answer."

 

Nari didn't let go of Wonsik's hand and tugged him closer. "It's nice of you to like me. I'm sure you'll find someone for you, someone better than me but who are we kidding right? No one's better than me." she joked.

 

Wonsik chuckled and agreed that no one was really going to be better than Nari. Just then Wonsik asked why Nari rejected. She let go of Wonsik's hand and smiled, looking afar. "Simply because I love someone."

 

At that moment, I realized. The songs she wrote and sang weren't for me but for him. Seeing everything in a bigger perspective made me realize how funny and lovely the situation was. 

 

"Have you told this person yet?" Wonsik asked. Nari smiled and shook her head. "Why not?"

 

"I guess I'm waiting for him to say it. It may be cheesy but," Nari giggled, "I'm like a damsel in distress waiting for my prince."

 

A year has passed. Within that year, I finally get to see bits of them. I saw that they connected to each other in a rather unusual way. It felt like that the two were really meant for each other. I could only laugh at myself. I even tried to interfere with what was actually happening? Now here I am hanging out with them. Seeing the two of them really warms me. They finally said it to each other. Finally. 

 

Wonsik watched the two walk home after having beer night with him and Hongbin. Wonsik smiled; Nari was laughing and teasing him a bit excessively since she was drunk. 

 

"Alright, alright! Let's get you home." he piggybacked Nari and walked towards the street so they could hail a cab. Nari then stirred and kissed his cheeks, saying that she was really happy when he finally confessed to her. He smiled and held onto Nari tightly. "Me too. I was really happy."

 

"You really should've confessed earlier, Jaehwannie!" Nari blabbered. Jaehwan laughed, seeing how his girlfriend was being cute when drunk again. 

 

"I already confessed didn't I? I even say that I love you everyday Nari." 

 

Those two...seriously. It really took them almost a lifetime for both of them to confess. Good thing I came into their lives. 

----------

Wah! So there you have it ^^ I hope you guys like it!! Thank you very much to those who subscribed and read this fic of mine~~ I appreciate it very much and love you guys for it!!

 [160527] Hi, fixed the typos in this chapter. Hopefully i got all of it! Anyways, thank you again for reading this fic of mine^^