Loneliness

I AM AN IDOL

~

[NOTE: The MV that Myungsoo and Woohyun were filming for was BTD. You can watch the BTS here.]

~

Myungsoo POV.
 

We ended the BTS shooting about an hour ago and it’s 7:30AM now, and we’re just arriving at the dorms. I shove Woohyun-hyung off me and make my way towards the door. I reach for the handle, but before I can open it, it is thrown open. Dongwoo-hyung rushes out. “Annyeong, Myungsoo-ah!” he waves a hand before breezing past me.
 

Dongwoo-hyung...he’s always smiling—genuinely smiling. That’s what I like about him. Unlike Woohyun-hyung, Dongwoo-hyung cannot lie. Or...well, he can...he just doesn’t. He’s actually the best non-liar among the seven of us. He lies...but not exactly. When we go on shows and such, Dongwoo-hyung is always viewed as a little dim. It’s quite the opposite.
 

Unlike me who was told to be “quiet,” Dongwoo-hyung was not given the role “dim.” He manifested that character so he can be truthful without having to deal with the consequences. The CEO did not approve of it in the beginning, but seeing as, it doesn’t seem to affect Infinite’s image, he let it go. A lot of the Inspirits are figuring it out though. Not the lying, but the fact that Dongwoo-hyung is actually a genius. I think they’re just joking and playing around since none of them can actually be sure. But he is. A genius, that is.
 

Of course, being a genius has its drawbacks.
 

Dongwoo-hyung figures things out even before the rest of us can even expect it. He figures out the good things...as well as the bad things. He doesn’t tell us, but I can always tell when he knew beforehand since he always looks down at his feet right before the managers open their mouths.
 

“Where’s hyung going? I didn’t know he had a schedule,” I say to Hyoan-hyung as he follows Dongwoo-hyung out the door.
 

He responds quickly before getting into the other van. “Sukira.”
 

My brows furrow. By himself? This early in the morning? Then I see Jungryul-hyung half-dragging Woohyun-hyung towards me. I hold the door open for him. Then I bow to him hurriedly. “I’m going to go with Dongwoo-hyung!” I tell him as I run back down the steps to catch the van before they drive off.
 

I knock on the window in time and Hyoan-hyung unlocks the doors for me. I slid open the van door, grinning. “Annyeong, hyung!” I greet Dongwoo-hyung.
 

He chuckles and welcomes me warmly into the van.
 

While driving to the radio station, Hyoan-hyung asks me, “Why did you decide to come? You should be resting now.”
 

I just shake my head. “I’ll rest while hyung does his DJ thing.” I grin at Dongwoo-hyung who smiles back.
 

He may not lie, but he’s not completely open about everything either. Dongwoo-hyung may seem like the happiest member in Infinite with his endless laughter and such, but hyung is actually very lonely. At least, that’s what I think so. I can’t be sure too, just like with Woohyun-hyung. Since he never says anything about it. I just have a good guess. Seeing as how glad he is that I’m coming with him proves my guess correct. Maybe. I think.
 

Infinite has become my family. I’m sure it’s the same for the other members—Dongwoo-hyung included. If there’s anything to say about our Infinite family though is that we are not perfect—far from it. We bicker often, envy each other secretly, and one time, fists were even involved. But still. We’re family, right? No family was perfect after all. Wrong. You see, hyung comes from the epitome of a perfect family. His parents are caring and still hopelessly in love with each other. His two older sisters are just perfect; beautiful, intelligent, talented. Dongwoo-hyung himself is perfect. How he deals with Infinite is beyond my understanding. I’m just glad that he does.
 

We arrive at the radio station and although I’m just going to sleep in the waiting room, I know that Dongwoo-hyung appreciates my presence. That I can tell.
 

He casually glances at me and Hyoan-hyung from the window and smiles.
 

Infinite may not be perfect and Dongwoo-hyung may miss his perfect family, but this...just sitting here and accompanying him—as trivial as it is—comforts him. Seeing him comforted comforts me too. I smile to myself.
 

When we chose to be who we are, when we chose that this is what we’re willing to do for the rest of our lives, we knew that we would have to leave our families.
 

Regular teenagers, when they head off to college, sure, they are apart from their families, but they can always come back for holidays or talk on the phone. Being an idol...even if our families live in the same city, visiting is almost impossible. Phone calls are a little more frequent than visits, but they’re still not sufficient enough to actually erase the feeling of homesickness.
 

I think that’s one of the reasons being in a group is a little more comforting. We created a family. As imperfect as it is, we created a home among ourselves. I think that’s how Dongwoo-hyung copes with his homesickness. I know he hates going to schedules alone since our makeshift family is momentarily erased. That’s why I decided to come today. Sure, I’m tired, but knowing that hyung is even more tired—tired of the lying, the separation—I feel better knowing that I can ease his worries.
 

Being an idol is lonely—no matter how much time we spend with each other, no matter how much we laugh.

~

[NOTE: For the first few chapters, I will be adding the different psychological effects of being famous and piecing them together. Once I have all the effects up, the real story will begin, okay?]