002

Life Bites
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two Weeks Later...

Myung Dae was fast asleep after he had stayed up late to read some more books and scrolls. He was so curious about the Royal Family that he tried finding all books and scrolls that he could get about them.

"Myung Dae," he heard his father nudge him.

"Yes?" he said with a raspy voice.

"You need to wake up,"

"Why?"

"I need you to run some errands for me. Okay?"

Myung Dae sighed as he turned away from his father. He was really tired and didn't want to do anything at the moment.

"Do I have to?" he whined as he got more comfortable.

"Yes. I have to take care of some things first. So please get up," he said nudging him further. Groaning Myung Dae had no choice but to get up. He really didn't want to run errands for his father.

"What are you going to be doing?" he asked as he rubbed his eyes and yawned.

"Oh just.. some things," his father stood up and didn't look at him.

Myung Dae knew that his father was being suspicious again but he didn't want to question him further; he didn't want to upset him either.

Sighing he pushed himself up and grabbed some clothes before heading out to the bathhouse to wash up and run the errands that his father wanted him to do.

 

"Why do I have to do this!" he whined as he carried a basket full of fruits and vegetables while he walked down the dirt path of the marketplace.

He went to a near-by stand to grab some food.

"Nihao. Can I have..." he said as he looked at the steaming food.

"Oh that," he pointed. While he was out and about he had to speak Chinese, but while in the house he could speak Korean freely.

The thing was that no one could hear them speak Korean because there seemed to be some sort of conflict between the two countries, so it was better to be safe than sorry.

His father couldn't stress it enough. Myung Dae was so fluent in Chinese that many thought he was just another native of the country, but in fact, he was Korean. They just didn't need to know that.

"Here you go," the lady said handing him the food he ordered. He quickly paid her as he grabbed the food and stuffed his face as he continued down the market to get the other stuff his father ordered him to get.

Though he really didn't want to be doing this at the moment, it was a great way of getting new books and scrolls to read. He had already read through the majority of what he had so he needed something to keep him occupied.

As he rounded a corner he bumped into someone but quickly apologized.

"S-Sorry. I didn't see you there," he quickly said as he bowed.

The person didn't say anything as they had a cloak on and the hood was covering their face. They just slightly bowed before going off in the direction that he came from. Myung Dae was confused for a moment but didn't think much of it. Just at the fact that he felt something different coming from that person; other than that he shrugged and continued down the path to the next place he had to go to.

 

A few hours later, he finally returned carrying everything his father ordered to get and then some.

"What took you so long? I thought I was going to have to send a search party," joked his father as he came over to help his struggling son.

"It was a lot of things I had to get. Plus I kind of stopped by the bookstore on my way back," Myung Dae shrugged as he carried the new books and scrolls he found to his room.

"I figured you would," he father smiled as he set the fresh vegetables on the table along with everything else Myung Dae brought back.

"Nothing odd?" asked his father as Myung Dae came back down from his room.

"Hmm define odd," Myung Dae asked as he looked at his father confused.

His father stayed quiet for a few seconds before turning towards him.

"Nothing unusual? Out of place?"

"No,"

His father simply nodded as he turned back around to sort through all the goods.

Myung Dae tilted his head in confusion but didn't question his father because he wasn't sure what his father really meant by that. He wasn't sure if he should be concerned or not, so instead, he thought it would be better to just let it be.

 

A Year Later

While out Myung Dae decided to stop at the bookstore to see if they had received any new scrolls or books from foreign merchants. The last time he was at the bookstore he found a scroll from a country in the west dating back to the 1600s, intrigued Myung Dae, of course, got it.

He walked in and casually looked at each scroll and book that was on the stands.

"Good afternoon," the owner of the shop greeted.

"Morning," Myung Dae smiled as he lightly brushed by the scrolls and books with his fingertips.

"Are you looking for something in particular?" the owner asked.

"No, I'm just browsing,"

The owner simply nodded his head and continued to do what he was doing behind his desk. With a smile, Myung Dae went through the books and scrolls before picking out two books and a scroll that caught his attention.

"Will that be all?" asked the owner as he looked at the books and scroll.

"For now," smirked Myung Dae. It was hard for him to hid or even contain his excitement. He wanted to rush back to the house and start reading right away.

The owner laughed slightly before added up his total.

"64 Yuan,"

Myung Dae took out his money and paid the owner before snatching up the books and scroll and placing it into the basket that he was carrying. Gently he placed them on top of the vegetables that his father made him buy.

As he was making his way back, he couldn't help but smile because he was finally able to find something that peaked his interest. To him, even a few days of not reading a new book felt like an eternity.

Once he reached his house, he opened the front gates and closed them behind him. He walked up the path leading to the front of the house and was about to walk inside when he heard a female voice coming from the other side.

Quietly he leaned into the door and tried listening in to the conversion that his father and this mysterious woman were having, but to his disappointment, he couldn't hear anything. Too bad, he didn't know how to listen in at a distance like most Vampires. That was another thing his Father never taught him to do.

He just wanted to understand w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter