Bonus: Suprise II

Our Second Chance

“Is he asleep?”

Luhan peeked through the tiny gap of his son’s bedroom door after opening it slightly.

Hari smiled and reached over the other side to fix Yohan’s blanket, wanting to keep their son warm. She turned and looked up towards her husband who made his way towards her.

“Just.” she answered as Luhan pecked her forehead affectionately. “How was your day?” she asked, noticing his tired eyes.

The man exhaled tiredly and looked down. “Busy. Busy. And busy.” He turned and looked at his wife. “I’m sorry I couldn’t spend as much time with you and Yohan lately. I want to go home early, pick him up from kindergarten and eat dinner with all of us together but…”

Before he was able to finish, Hari already had cut him off by placing her index finger over his lips, hushing his husband.

“Yohan knows and he understands. I do too.” she reassured.

Luhan grabbed her hand away from his lips and held it tightly. He forced a smile, guilt and worry were still filling him up.

“Our son is a smart boy. He understands well and picks up on things quickly. Much like you.” she smiled at him sweetly. “So don’t worry. I know you try your best to be a good father to Yohan and that’s more than enough.”

With the comfort his wife had given, Luhan wrapped his arms around Hari and kissed the top of her head. “As soon as this project finishes, I am going to file a leave of absence and I am going to spend all that time with you and Yohan. I promise.”

Hari laughed lightly as she gently tapped his back. She pulled herself out of his embrace and looked at him. “I’d like it if you would relax and have a rest first. Your health is important too.”

Before Hari married Luhan, before she said “Yes” to his proposal, she knew that circumstances like this are more likely to happen. She considered the nature of his job and with what he's capable of, it won’t even be a wonder if he was on-demand.

She wouldn’t deny, however, that when reality came right in front of her, she did have a hard time. Knowing and being actually in that situation could be slightly different. But knowing was probably the reason why she was able to cope better and understand her husband. Sure, there were many times when they fought and had disagreements. But since Hari was never the type of woman who yells in an argument unlike Luhan who could sometimes raise his voice a little when involved in a heated argument.

But sometimes, Hari knows that, that's what Luhan gets scared and worried of the most. When she is silent and not saying anything. Sometimes, he would prefer if she would just yell and lash out on him. What could he do, though? Hari was always the type who would find the perfect timing to talk things out.  

With a smile, the lady told him quietly, “Let’s go and let our little prince alone.”

Grabbing her husband’s hand, she pulled him up gently to walk out of their son’s bedroom.

Lying on their own bed with Hari’s head on Luhan’s chest… this were one of the moments Luhan missed so much. Lately, because of his work, he would get home with his son and wife sleeping. By the morning, he would leave early, before breakfast, with an intention of getting to work early so he could leave early. But nothing worked like he had planned. Honestly, he just couldn’t help but be thankful of how understanding his wife was. Packing his breakfast, his lunch and all the things he needed for work with no questions and complaints made things easier for him. Just how lucky he was?

So Yohan being understanding and picking things up quickly, it wasn’t a trait he got from him, Luhan thought. Rather, it was a trait his son got from his mother, his wife.

“Oh by the way, Mum called and she told me she wanted to see her grandson. Do you mind if we go the day after tomorrow?”

With eyes meeting, he asked, “Are you guys staying over?”

“Probably not. But it depends Mum. You know her…” she laughed lightly.

“How about the three of us go and spend the next weekend there?” he suggested.

Surprised, Hari sat up and looked at him carefully. “What about your work?”

“You and Yohan are far more important than my work. I think I gave my job enough attention and dedication this past few weeks. It’s only right to do this for my family. Besides, I missed spending quality time with the both of you.”

“Are you sure?”

“Very.” Luhan answered immediately and pulled back Hari for a hug.

His wife might not be complaining or questioning him at all, but it does not mean that she isn’t hurt, disappointed or upset at all. Given that Hari had always been a quiet girl who does not express herself as much didn’t give him a reason to not understand her or be unable to read her like an open book.

When she gave birth to their Yohan, Luhan initially thought that everything then would be okay. That the pain his wife felt would end. However, he did not realise that it was just the start.

Days after she gave birth, he found Hari crying by herself. When he asked her, she wiped her tears and smiled as if nothing had happened; as if what she was feeling didn’t matter at all. And Luhan hated that the most.

So when his and her mother came for a visit for assistance, well more like he called them because he was worried about his wife and he just couldn’t take it anymore. He grabbed that chance to talk to Hari. He wanted to take away whatever is causing his wife’s tears and sadness.

He read somewhere together with what their mothers told him that apparently it was normal for a first-time Mum. It was something called Baby Blues as far as he could remember. And Luhan didn’t want it to develop any further to depression.

Leaving Yohan under their mother’s care, Luhan walked towards their bedroom and found his wife sitting at the middle of the bed. Her head was down and the sight, once again, worried Luhan.

“Hari…” he called and crawled up the bed towards the middle.

The lady looked up and just like that, she bursted in tears, quickly making the man wrapped his arms around her figure.

He hugged her tight without forcing words out of her. Until she calmed down, he looked at her, met her eyes and kissed her forehead.

“I’m so scared, Luhan.” she sobbed. Confused, he looked at her with an inquiring expression. “What if I fail to be a mother to Yohan? What if I can’t be the mother Yohan deserves? What if the love…..”

“Hari, shh, listen to me.” Luhan said calmly as he cupped her wife’s face. “You are the best mother our son could ever have. No one else deserves to be our son’s mother but you. I wouldn’t choose any other mother for our son and I think when Yohan grows up, he would want no one else but you as his mother. And I am here." he reassured. "We will love Yohan with all our hearts and he will grow up to be a fine, smart, understanding and wise man. A man who will love his woman. A man who will love his family. A man who will love and appreciate everything he has.” Holding tight on his wife’s hand, he continued, “I am scared too. But I know, with you and me together, we will get through and support each other. Everything will be okay. It’s us, Hari. Your pain is mine. Your happiness is mine. Everything about you, we will share it together. All our fears, worries, joy and everything, we will share it together.” The moment he saw his wife smile, Luhan felt relieved. “I am glad that it’s you who's my son’s mother. I wouldn't want anyone else but you. It’s you your son and I need. I love you, Hari.”

“I love you too, Luhan. I’m sorry for being such a weak wife.”

“You’ve handled the pain of pregnancy and giving birth all to yourself, at the same time, you loved me more and more each day. You took care of our son even when you feel so tired and sleepy. You worry about our son and you being a mother but despite all that, you are here. With me. How can you call yourself a weak wife when it’s all you who was the strongest all this time?”

Hari was such a lucky woman to have someone like Luhan by her side. Perhaps it was the hormones that was driving to feel such depression but yet despite that, he understood. She’s thankful.

“Where is Yohan?” she asked, feeling much much better than she did fifteen minutes ago.

“He’s with our mothers. They are very delighted and happy to take care of their grandson.”

“I guess I won’t be able to take him even if I wanted to.”

Luhan laughed and shook his head. “Yeah, at the moment, I don’t think so.” he said, remembering how both mothers told him that he should’ve called them sooner.

How both parents wished it’ll stay like that. But it was impossible. Luhan had to work for his family as well as securing his son’s future.

Hari decided to officially resign from her job to fully focus on taking care of their first son. However, being a valued architect at the company she works at, the boss proposed if she could be a casual consultant as a senior architect for the mean time until she can fully go back to the work force.

She was hesitant at first but considering the job didn’t require her to report to the office and can do it at home, she gladly accepted it. However, if ever it affects her duties as a mother to her son, she would quit the job and go back when she can and fully give enough time her career as an architect demands out of her.

Luhan didn’t know what to feel when Hari told him her final decision. When she came to him and talked about this matter, he let his wife make the final decision. Whatever decision she makes, he would support her.

So when she came to a decision, he was glad that his wife took off time her job to look after their son but at the same time, he was worried about her feelings. He knew how much being an architect meant for Hari. But perhaps, that’s what it meant to be a parent; to sacrifice many things for their child, their welfare and their happiness.

Just as they settled and ready to sleep, the couple heard the door of their bedroom open softly. Looking towards the direction, they saw it was their son, Yohan.

“Daddy… Mummy…” the little boy called softly and ran towards the bed, wiping his teary eyes.

Hari gasped while Luhan quickly got up and carried their son towards the bed, placing him between him and his wife.

Wiping her son’s tears away, Hari cupped the young boy’s face and asked him, “Why are you crying? Did you have a bad dream?”

Yohan moved his head side-to-side. “I woke up and Mummy wasn’t next to me anymore. I want to sleep with you and Daddy. Can I, Mummy, please?”

The couple looked at each other and smiled. Hari looked back at their child and replied, “Of course you can, Baby.”

The teary eyes and sad pout the little boy had turned to happiness and joy. It’s been so long since the three of them slept together and he was so glad that he could sleep with his Mum and Dad again.

Before laying down on the bed, Luhan made sure that his wife and Yohan were sleeping and lying on the bed comfortably. Putting his head over the pillow, he moved closer towards his family under the blanket and hugged them with care and love. Luhan was glad. That night, just like his son and his wife, he was so happy.

The next morning, Hari woke up alone in bed but heard clattering noise outside. She knew something was up. Trying to figure out what, she reached for her phone at the bedside table and checked the date. Well, it wasn’t a date of any special occasion they would celebrate either as a couple or as a family so she wondered what it was.

Hari stayed in bed, letting the father and son finish whatever they were preparing. She didn’t want to ruin it for them as she knew how disappointed Luhan would be if he got caught in between his surprises for her.

An hour later, she couldn’t wait any longer. She stood up and washed her face, brushed her teeth while her hair was tied up. Getting out of the bathroom inside their bedroom, Luhan went inside and looked for his wife.

As their eyes met, the man broke to a smile and hugged his wife, whispering, “Yohan and I got a surprise for you.”

Hari bit back her smile. “Surprise? For what?”

Holding her hand, he just told her mysteriously, “Come with me.”

For some reason, the lady’s heart was beating fast. She knew there was a surprise but she doesn’t know what for and that’s what kept her heart beating rapidly with excitement filling her insides.

Reaching the lounge, there she found Yohan holding up a massive cardboard as he stood on the couch facing them that read “This was the day the change in my life happened magically. I love you Hari.” and around where balloons on the floor and at the ceiling. Around where photos of him and her together from their arranged marriage together as a couple, to their photos as an official couple, all the way to their photos together as a married couple. It was a trail of photos that depicted their love story--their own journey of love with paper hearts stuck everywhere in different sizes.

With an agape mouth, Hari turned and found her husband fondly watching her.

“Nearly nine years ago, when I met you and proposed for an arranged marriage for the sake of my grandfather. That was the first time I met you and I never knew it was the woman whom I’ll love and spend the rest of my life with. It was also the woman who changed my life in the most magical way possible. Because of this woman named Hari, I became a better man, a better son and soon after four years of being separated, she gave me a chance to be a good husband and eventually be a good father and head of the family two years later. This was the day our story began, Hari.” But he was just yet to finish, “I thought you would just be a woman who will help me fulfil my grandfather’s wish. I didn’t know you would be the woman who will help and be with me to fulfil my wishes and plans I had for myself for the future. If I hadn’t found you that day, in front of that café, I don’t think I would be so happy like I am now. I tried my best not to look for you but the heavens paved our ways to each other. Now, I am sure of myself that I am the happiest and most loved man in this world. Thank you for giving me so many chances of becoming a better version of what I can be: a man, a best-friend, a lover, a son, a husband, and a father.”

“Luhan…” Taken aback with Luhan’s thoughtfulness, Hari couldn’t believe what was in front of her eyes and what she just heard that came inside her ears.

She didn’t expect he would remember such day as this. In fact, although she could remember what happened on that day when they first met, she could barely remember what date it was. Perhaps, it was really different when love is talking. It’s been almost 6 years since their second and official marriage yet it doesn’t seem like Hari would ever get used to Luhan’s surprises.

“You should start refraining from doing romantic surprises such as this. I might get used to this and look for it often.” she said while wiped the little tears of joy that wet her eyes and around it.

“If you get used to it or not, it doesn’t matter as I plan to continue and keep doing this in the future for the rest of our lives. Until the wrinkles in our faces show, until we find it too hard to walk and move around, until we get cold easily, I will keep doing this. I will do everything to show my growing love for you every day.”

“When did you have this all planned? Where did you find the time?” Hari asked.

“A man who truly loves his woman would find and make a time. I am Luhan, remember? I am capable of doing anything just to show how much I love you. And this young boy right here helped me.” Luhan said as he bent down to carry Yohan in his arms.

Through that entire time, the little boy was sitting by the lounger as his hands were under his chin, fondly watching his parents love each other so sincerely.

“Is that so?” Hari smiled. “Then Mum should prepare a yummy and special breakfast. I’m sure you both worked hard early on a weekend morning.”

“Yey!” Luhan cheered. “Mum’s food would be extra yummy then.” he said, as he playfully pinched his son’s nose.

Yohan whined but agreed to his Dad nonetheless. “Mum’s food is always the best!”

“That’s right.”

“Okay, Mummy will start cooking.”

As Hari was just about to head towards the kitchen, she heard an unexpected question from her son that took her aback.

“Daddy, when will I have a sibling?” the young boy asked out of the blue.

Hari turned around and looked at Luhan with a surprised expression. He was just as taken aback as she was. Soon, both broke into a laughter for such mischievous question from their Yohan.

 

 

 

A year and a half later, Hari and Luhan's little beautiful and angel-like princess, named Aeri, was born.


starcakes' notes:

Did you notice the pattern in their names. First, it was Yohan from LuHAN. This time it is Aeri from HaRI. Hahaah! Okay. Well continuing on...

I am going to be honest, I was planning to put a lot of angst here and complications but if I don't think that would fit the theme of the fanfic. So yeah, I just decided to write and go with whatever I have by the end of it. I hope you guys are not disappointed by this and still liked it. It can't be helped though if you didn't.

I was also planning to make a sequel version of this but... I am a little hesitant but who knows, a person's mind can always change. HAHAHA. Thank you as well for the 330+ subscribers. I was so surprised to see that number as I'm not really a well known writer/author. Such an honour to see that huge number. I hope you guys continue to support me.

So yeah, any thoughts?