Right Guy

Wrong Number, Right Guy

Youngjae awoke the next morning with a crick in his neck and a pain in his back. How idiotic of him to fall asleep on the couch. With a groan and a pained expression he sat up and squinted his eyes to look around the living room. Popcorn was still all over the floor and the television was still on, playing a dumb movie he'd never seen before from the looks of it. He sighed and after his eyes finally adjusted to the light he began his search for his phone to find out what time it was. A small buzz gave Youngjae a bit of a start but notified him quickly where his phone was, right below his feet.

He quickly grabbed his phone and flicked it on, checking his notifications. '7 new messages from Daehyun <3'. What the heck had he missed last night after falling asleep? A bewildered expression took over Youngjae's features as he clicked on the notification, taking him to messenger. As his dark eyes quickly skimmed over the texts he began to smile. He was about to text back a response and apology for falling asleep but was suddenly interrupted by another startling buzz from his phone.

 

Good morning sleepy head~

 

Sleepy head? Oh.. It was eleven in the morning.. Of course Daehyun would call him out on sleeping in. Of course.

Haha, very funny. You could have woken me up earlier you know.

 

I just thought someone needed their beauty sleep ;)

 

How kind of you to consider that.

Despite his passive aggressive messages, Youngjae couldn't keep himself from smiling as he continued texting with Daehyun throughout the day. And the following days... weeks... and even months. Their relationship never officially became anything more than friends, but it would be a lie to say Youngjae hadn't developed feelings for Daehyun. He never planned to tell him that of course, the chances that Daehyun felt the same were way too slim (at least in Youngjae's mind). Nevertheless, when the two had finally agreed to meet up face to face, Youngjae couldn't help but it wish it was a date of sorts. The idea of it played around in his mind the final days before they met up, causing him to nearly cancel the plans out of pure embarrassment. Luckily he'd thought better than that and managed to make it. Now, tomorrow was now the long awaited day, and he was nervous as hell.

It was one in the afternoon on a Saturday and Youngjae was sitting in a soft chair inside a local coffee shop, anxiously bouncing his leg as he waited for Daehyun. His eyes flickered impatiently down to his phone to check the exact time. 1:03. Daehyun was supposed to be here three minutes ago. Okay... maybe Youngjae was overreacting a bit but... alright he really didn't have a great excuse to be overreacting...

“Youngjae!!~” The call of his name snapped the male out of his daze as his eyes met those of Jung Daehyun. He hadn't even heard the door open he'd been stressing over everything so much. Wow, had he really been that out of it? That's sort of pathetic..

“Hi Daehyun.” A smile was easily brought to his features as he greeted the red head (or strawberry as he liked to call it). Daehyun joined him at the table, ordering a coffee and a slice of cheesecake. Youngjae has simple stuck with a hot cocoa, knowing he didn't need the extra caffeine to amp up his anxiety. “You're late.” He added teasingly, taking a sip of his drink to hide as the smile on his lips turned into a grin.

“Three whole minutes.” Daehyun replied with a chuckle. “I should have picked you up flowers as an apology.” Youngjae laughed at the joke, though also thought perhaps he would have enjoyed such a romantic gesture.. “Too bad I only got you this.” At Daehyun's additional words Youngjae's eyes snapped up and he saw him holding out a small box. Was he serious? With hesitant hands Youngjae took the offered box, setting it down on the table in front of him and taking a quick glance up to the gift giver, who seemed to be waiting rather impatiently.

The box was white and tied with a yellow bow, easily undone by Youngjae's fingers. He took off the lid, and sitting atop a bit of felt was a silver watch, quite a nice looking one actually. With wide eyes Youngjae gently picked up the time piece and took a closer look. It was beautiful.

“Daehyun.. Did you..” He couldn't seem to get the proper words out, tongue tied from the spectacular gift he'd received, but for what reason? It seemed he didn't have to ask, as Daehyun answered that himself with a proud yet kind smile on his face.

“You said a few weeks ago you broke your watch so.. I figured you could use a quality replacement.” Warmth radiated from Daehyuns smile and spread into Youngjae's heart, leaving him speechless. Thankfully nothing really need to be said.. Daehyun had been aware of their mutual romantic feelings for awhile and now Youngjae knew, in a sense, that he felt the same.

Youngjae also knew that despite their.. odd introduction, they were somehow meant to be.

An ending that was truly fit for a romance novel.