Chapter 1

The Cupid Department

The city was a busy place, with bodies constantly in motion. People moved past one another and became a stream of clothing and cell phones. It was a regular day, just like any other as Jinhwan led his new trainee along with a determined face. "Well... she should be somewhere around here. We've got a couple of minutes to find her." His words were directed towards Jiwon, newly transferred out of the Cupid Department to the Reapers. The former Cupid was looking a bit excited and had just a small amount of green tint to his face. Jinhwan couldn't help but internally laugh because he knew all too well that feeling. 

They continued down the street until they got to a crosswalk and the petite reaper was looking at his hand where there was some words written in ink on them, before looking at the signs and nodding. "We're here... I think." Jiwon gave the blonde a bewildered look before he sighs and shakes his head slightly. 

"How do you not know for sure if this is where we're supposed to be?" This messy kind of operation wasn't really Jiwon's forte, but he could learn to roll with it. If he and Jinhwan were going to work together, he would need to adjust himself. Maybe even assist in the tiny man's quests to collect all of his souls. 

Jinhwan merely shrugged with a grin before he held up his hand to reveal the words had been smudged. "It's blurry, but I think I remembered right for the most part." His lips were twisted into a grin and he checked his watch once more before scanning the crowd of people, looking for the girl. 

The duo stood at the corner, Jinhwan glancing at his watch and Jiwon looking out for the girl as time seemed to creep by slowly. A look of panic flitted across Jiwon's face when he realized the time had ticked by without the girl showing up where she was supposed to be. The elder Reaper just gave a tired sigh before there was a blare of horns going off down the road and he looked up with a grin. "That must be her." 

He took off without hesitation towards the noise and found not only one girl sprawled out on the street bleeding out, but also what appeared to be a man she was on a date with. "What's he doing here?" Jinhwan looked at the human male in annoyance before pursing his lips. "She was supposed to be going home without anyone to accompany her. This is why everything messes up... You lot just can't follow simple Plans huh?" His hands had been thrown up in exasperation before he realized there was a tall, familiar figure standing off to the side. "What are you doing here?" 

Junhoe looked up from the small pager in his hand, the look of crushed defeat on his features before it smoothed away into a perfectly sculpted mask. "I was trying to smooth over something that was supposed to be avoided by Crisis Prevention... the guy had just lost his mom." There was a pause and he shrugged his shoulders slightly. "I only gave them the urge to drink coffee... I didn't know she was on a time limit." His face was pinched, like he blamed himself but couldn't wrap his mind around the thought of such a simple decision resulting in the end of some guy's life. "Neither of them looked while crossing the street..." 

He let the words trail off, a forlorn look flitting over his features before he looked back at the short Reaper who had the decency to look sympathetic. "We've all got our first accidentals kid. Don't worry, you'll toughen up in time and get annoyed with them when they don't do things the way they're supposed to." Jinhwan gave a wicked grin before he stepped closer to the bodies on the street, easily bypassing the humans that had gathered around to look at the scene. "Jiwon, come here..." 

With that, he had dismissed the Cupid and started on his work of harvesting the souls. Jinhwan may have been clumsy and ty at keeping people alive, but what he did best was taking care of the souls that were assigned to him and those he might have accidentally brought to death too soon with his mistakes. The two people were soon flanking his sides, the girl looking as if she had already cried and accepted her fate while the man just looked annoyed. "I promise you, the office isn't that bad... and who knows... you might end up working with me. Trust me okay? We've totally got this under control." He offered his most award-winning smile before he motioned to Jiwon. "Let's get back... we've got business to take care of." 

The duo with the two souls, departed through the crowd, leaving a still stunned Junhoe behind. He would eventually catch up to them if he was as brilliant as everyone else claimed him to be. Jinhwan could only smirk slightly to himself as they made their way down the street, the two souls behind them quiet as Jiwon continued on beside him. There was a puzzled look on his features like he was trying to piece something together in his head. "You're thinking way too hard dude... It's really simple. You just reach out for them and they're drawn to your energy and the rest is easy from there... take 'em back to HQ and process their souls either to be reborn or become one of us." 

But the puzzled look didn't leave his fellow Reaper's face before a look of realization dawned on his features as he paused them on the sidewalk. Jiwon's hand had flown own to dramatically stop them, head turning slowly to look at the man next to him in a new light before he stage whispered with the same flare, "You were the Reaper that took my soul... weren't you?" 

"Huh?" It took Jinhwan a second, staring at the face in front of him before he let out a laugh of disbelief and he ended up nodding. "Oh yea... I did, didn't I? Well to be real here, most people in our line of work were my humans... They just don't remember me. I'm surprised you did though." He gives the man next to him a light pat on the shoulder and forced them to continue on as Jiwon felt himself sinking back into his own memories. 

Music pumped through his headphones as he stood at the edge of the sidewalk, starring down at his phone with such intent that the world around him no longer existed. Jiwon was going to a new restaurant in hopes of a hot date, thus why he was looking at the device in his hands so intently. The directions were starting to get confusing and he wasn't sure if he was supposed to go left or right anymore... so his best option was to walk across the street and try from there. 

Normally he wouldn't have been so distracted. Normally he would have looked where he was going. Normally he would have been safe, but apparently that moment would be far from normal. It took only a split second and he felt the pain after the force of the impact sent him into the air and down the road. The entire world was buzzing around him and every single inch of his body was on fire. It was that type of insufferable pain that forced you to reconsider every single moment in your life and it did. He laid there on the pavement, thinking of all the things he had done wrong in life and this perhaps was repayment for all that he had done. 

Either way, he was royally ed. Jiwon was on the verge of out right knocking out and slipping away when he felt a warmth tickling at his subconscious, pulling him towards it. At first the need to avoid it was huge, it wasn't his time to go... he could live through the agony even if it felt like his lungs were collapsing, his heart had burst, and his skull was cracked in two. But it was so hard to resist and a part of him guessed the light at the end of the tunnel was true and he followed that warmth until he was standing outside of his body looking down. 

Standing in front of him was a smiling man with pitch black hair, a little on the short side and a freckle beneath his right eye. It took a moment, staring him down for him to realize that he had actually died and this was some sort of sick joke that the other side seemed to play on the poor humans of the world. "Hello. I'm Jinhwan, your friendly neighborhood Reaper... It would appear that you've been hit by a bus." He nodded towards the vehicle and Jiwon had to resist the urge to look down at his mangled body on the asphalt. "I apologize for any of the inconveniences​ you might experience, but could you please follow me?" 

Jiwon stood for a moment, staring at the man with a wary expression before he nodded slowly. He didn't know really what else he could possibly do. There was no place else to go and it wasn't like his date would get to meet him anyway. "Yea... alright..." His words were murmured and soft, the shock still coursing through him as he started to follow after the figure clothed in all black. "Uhm... uh... where are we going?" 

Jinhwan looked back over his shoulder and offered a kind smile, one of understanding before he nodded forward slightly. "To my work place... How do I put this gently..." His features became pinched before he sighed lightly and waved a hand as if it would help explain things better. "You weren't scheduled to die today... but then again, you didn't look up from your phone so that was on you. Normally we have things in place to keep this stuff from happening but accidents happen and I came as quick as I could. You should have died immediately on impact... We don't like for you lot to suffer... well I don't." There was a vague expression of hurt on the male's features and he merely shook his head as if to clear his thoughts. 

The soul of Jiwon continued on, walking... floating forward as if in a daze before he nodded dumbly. "So this is my fault? I should have been paying attention..." He paused in his words as they continued forward before another question bubbled forth from his chest. "What are you going to do with me then?" There was a genuine concern in his tone and Jinhwan seemed to know just how to smile to soothe it away, like he had done this so many times before. 

"Well... seeing as it wasn't your time to go... we have two options for you. One, your soul can be recycled and you can be reborn and have another go at life. Most people tend to choose that option... Sometimes I wish I had myself, which is where the idea of past lives come into play I guess..." Then there was a pause and Jinwhan grinned as he looked back over his shoulder. "Or you could become something like me. We all start out training the same, but... you can become someone who runs the lives of the humans around us. An immortal of sorts. There's not just Reapers, there's a whole slew of us that go into making lives work..." 

Jiwon looked skeptical as they walked up to the large building that looked rather run down. "This is where you work?" Jinhwan merely smiled in response before stepping inside and introducing the unlucky spirit to a whole new world. 

It was just as they were walking up toward the offices once more that Jiwon turned to look at his trainer with that same bewildered gaze. "You're the reason why I became a Cupid... you talked me into it you little . I should have known better... you were always a manipulative asswipe." He grunted in brief annoyance before he shook his head with a tiny grin and looked back at the spirits behind them... and a grumbling Cupid that had decided to join them as well. 

Junhoe was still learning the ropes, still figuring out just how the humans worked and whenever things didn't seem to go his way, it usually ended up with him huffing at everyone else in the office. The ex Cupid found it oddly endearing, but he knew the quality would never really disappear. If it did, then Junhoe would need to search for another job like he did. 


Sorry this was a little late and a little short. But I'm still building and doing different things. Hopefully the full picture will come together and reveal itself to you by the end. I also secretly have a goal to get as many subscribers and upvotes as possible without locking this for subs only. They weren't around when I first started writing and I don't think they should be used.