Prologue

The Cupid Department

It had become just another tedious day at the office for Jiwon as he flicked through his stacks of paperwork, looking over his humans and their Plans with a disinterested look. When he had first taken up this position, transferring out of the Gender Identity and uality training, he was more excited than anything. At first, it had been exhilirating to help people fall in love and find those that were meant for them, but by now... after years of the same thing over and over again, he was bored out of his skull. 

While he was staring down at the file of a woman he had married off to her soul mate earlier that day, the chief Cupid approached his desk with a grin that tugged at the corners of his eyes slightly. "Jiwon... how's it going?" The lanky male lifted his gaze with an accusatory gaze, knowing full well that Hanbin only approached him in the office if he needed something work related. Jiwon was one of the senior Cupids that no longer needed constant supervision and worked to near perfection that there were hardly any slip ups on his end. So it could only mean one thing and one thing only... 

"Let me guess... new recruit?" His eyebrow quirked before his boss deemed it necessary to grin even wider. Jiwon found his own lips tugging slightly as he leaned back in his seat slightly. "Is he coming straight out of Gen or..." He paused and trailed off, waiting for the answer. 

"New from Gender sadly, but his work there was rather... impeccable, much like yours once he got the hang of it." Hanbin motioned with his hand towards the desk that looked on the outside to be a wreck, but really... everything was exactly where Jiwon had wanted it to be. His system didn't make sense to many people other than himself. "He'll be up within the next half hour. He's hard not to miss." There was a knowing smirk before Hanbin gave his co-worker a pat on the shoulder and slipped off towards his office. 

Jiwon sat, watching the back of the man he had come to known for years through many late nights working together to fix mishaps. At first it had started as friendship, a mutual understanding of the work place and how much of a struggle it could be, but somewhere along the way there had been a different direction their relationship too. Jiwon wasn't looking to define it, they were immortal and had all the time in the world to figure it out. Maybe they had chemistry or perhaps it was just a comfort thing that they both sought out within each other. Either way, when the work days were too long and the nights short, Hanbin had found a way into his bed on more than one occasion. 

Luckily, the elder Cupid seemed to know where personal lust and professional life separated and everything was kept outside of the office. Jiwon didn't care too much if he got caught up in a scandal, it would have been more of a hassle than anything. But he didn't want to rob his friend of a position that he clearly adored and dedicated himself to with a burning passion that came around so rarely. Jiwon always had a certain respect for Hanbin because of it. 

The thoughts that seemed to linger on the Chief were ripped away however when the elevator opened to reveal a massive male with a shock of dark hair styled just so entering their office. One glance over and Jiwon knew that this was his new trainee. He was glancing about, looking for everything... signs that the person was new to the department. And he was well dressed, perfectly clean and prime, trying to make a good impression. Jiwon already liked him. 

Standing up easily, he left behind the woman with her marriages and found himself offering the best welcoming smile he could muster. "You must be the new guy..." Jiwon was already extending his hand with his patented 'welcome to the office, you're screwed' smile. "I'm Jiwon, one of the senior Cupids and I'm going to be training you for the next week or so until you're on your feet." The Cupid knew it would take longer than a few days and he was never one to let his fresh baby Cupids fly off without proper training first. 

The new Cupid took a moment, looking at the extended hand with an expression mixed between confusion and perhaps disgust before he took it and gripped at if firmly, shaking with power behind it. The guy was trying to get across he wasn't here to play around, but to work and he would be respected for it... Jiwon found that oddly admirable. "Junhoe... I was just released from my preliminary training." Jiwon grinned, looking down at their hands before he let them drop, catching a glimmer of a silver thread around the tall male's pinky. How interesting. 

Walking over to his desk, Jiwon looked at the new files that had arrived since Junhoe's appearance and looked them over slowly, flicking through them before passing them towards the male with a smile. "We have your first infants. Some people love to try to pair them off immediately, but I like to wait until we can find someone that's Life Plan matches up with theirs." He moved to pull up a second chair to his desk and nodded for the taller male to take a seat as he sat down himself, gaze briefly lingering on the glimmering thread that drifted away from his body, not limp... but leading off somewhere. "I want you to read through them... glance over them and familiarize yourself with them." 

Junhoe gave him an incredulous look, one that said he would probably have a better time back where he came from and Jiwon almost felt sympathetic for him. This was only the beginning and it would get more exciting as they progressed and he had more people assigned to him. "Then... take the stack labeled unassigned in the left hand drawer and go through them. Maybe you can find a match, maybe you won't. But it's a process that gets easier as you get your own set of people. You'll eventually just know them all and when you get newborns or newly detached humans, it won't be that hard to match people up." 

The Cupid gave a sigh, resigning himself to sitting at the desk and reading all day, but it was an easy first baby step to start him out on. Jiwon was sure he would get a better taste for things once he was in it for a few more weeks, but it would take patience and time. 

It was during this time when Junhoe was distracted that Jiwon decided to drift himself off towards the boss's office to have brief word with him. The senior Cupid had heard of people in the building having soul mates and being matched off from a Cupid, but he had never seen a string before today and it concerned him. Knocking politely on the door, he waited until he was beckoned in and stepped inside to shut the door behind him to eliminate anyone else finding out about the new Cupid's string. 

"What brings you in to see me so soon? Is he already complaining about it being boring?" Hanbin have a quick smile that said he knew something that Jiwon had yet to discover. 

But the Cupid was quick to wave it off as he stepped in closer and leaned himself in towards the desk slightly, keeping his voice hushed to tell Hanbin what he had just saw only a few moments before. "He has a string... it's not red, not like a human's but silver... and glittering. It's tethered to someone because it's not drooping..." 

There was a pause, Jiwon stared down his lover with an expectant face who only seemed more pleased by the moment before he was pushing back from his desk slightly without any explanation. The chief stood before walking towards one of his many filing cabinets and he extracted a file and passed it over to Jiwon with a satisfied sound. "I was hoping it would be you that would become his Cupid, that's why I assigned him to you." 

Jiwon's features were scrunched in confusion, but he sat down in one of the office chairs as he looked at the file handed to him. Across it, in big black letters, stamped onto it was the single word 'DECEASED'. Flipping it open, inside contained the full life plan of his new Cupid sitting outside at his desk. Jiwon knew that everyone that worked in this building had once been human and that this was their second chance at life in a sense... working for the people that had screwed them over but still giving them a purpose. Leafing through the pages, he barely registered any of the useless information until he came to the Cupid's Department section and he slowed, looking at the plan laid out for the dead man. 

He had been assigned another male, which would explain perhaps why Junhoe had been exceptionally good at handling homoual and biual ualities as a beginner. Junhoe's soulmate was destined to meet him at a cafe during college and they were to slowly fall in love. However, the initial Plan had a red mark in the corner that showed that it never had the chance to even begin. "So they never got to meet?" Jiwon looked up with a dark expression that betrayed his bleeding heart. 

Hanbin shook his head as he passed him a second folder that looked the same as Junhoe's. "His soulmate died of an illness before we could rectify the situation. The Reaper on Jinhwan's case has since been removed, because of his malpractice... but he passed away a few years before Junhoe did." There was a grave nod to his head before Hanbin moved to sit on the edge of his desk, arms folding over his chest in one of his more serious stances. "Since Junhoe was also taken before his time because of some mess up in Crisis, he's here now... and so is his soul mate. That's why his string is still there. They've been reunited in our world." 

Jiwon leaned back in his seat, folders clasped in his hand as he took it all in. According to his boss, it was highly possible for anyone in the building to have unfinished stories that could finally be completed in this life for them. But the likelihood that things going wrong for two soul mates is always very low, which would explain why he never truly heard about it before. It was a bit mind boggling, but a new challenge none the less. 

"So... now that they're here... I'm their Cupid and I have to get them together..." Jiwon looked incredulous for a moment, trying to figure out a way in his head how this could work out. 

Hanbin merely offered a smile before he gave a fond laugh at the scrunched brow of the man across from him. "It's simpler than it may appear but it takes a lot more work. Cupid's don't follow Plans like humans and it's more like playing matchmaker than anything else. Since they were destined, it'll just take time for their natural pull to come into effect, you just have to... nudge them in the right direction." 

There was another pause, all of the information slowly sinking in before Jiwon nodded slowly, accepting the assignment thought it seemed a bit... tedious. "I'm the only one that can see their string right?" There was a nod before the Cupid began to stand slowly. "And... you act like you've seen this before... have you?" 

Hanbin's smile became a bit tighter, less friendly and open as he nodded once more. "Yes... I've seen it before. It's truly a work in progress and takes up more time and energy than you might think it would... which is why I'm referring you to transfer to the Reapers to be with Jinwhan. It'll be easier to keep an eye on him, he has a few... loose morals." Jiwon stopped in his tracks, the tension in his shoulders immediately making him seize up. "You better train Junhoe well, he'll be taking on your cases." 

In that moment, everything felt cold and indifferent, nothing like his true boss or the lover that had spent many nights in his bed. Jiwon had no clue how to feel as he stepped out of the office without a single word. It almost felt like he was being pushed out and away, but perhaps Hanbin was right. He was bored with his job and no longer loved it as he once had. Perhaps it was time to take on something else and help some other's out along the way. But he was completely unaware of the man staring at his hand as he left the office. The string that once hung limply at Jiwon's side had come to life and was being tugged in a direction opposite of his office. 


So. I thought I wouldn't do this anymore. That I was done with chaptered fics and things as such... but yea. Apparently I really had a great back story and this is it. It's shorter, I apologize, but there will be more to come apparently... Just bear with me. I'm so sorry. Hopefully I can finish this ;A; I have no clue how long it's going to run or anything... and I'm working backwards, but heh I hope you like it.