Somebody to Love - FIVE

Somebody to Love

Scrambling to their feet, Mingyu and Wonwoo faced Kris, Mingyu glaring at him and going to move in front of Wonwoo. What he could do against the older vampire, he wasn't sure, but he wasn't going to allow Kris to hurt Wonwoo if he could possibly help it.


"I'm not going to touch your mate, foolish child," Kris murmured, shaking his head. "What have you done?" He made a gesture and glowing rings of white light appeared around the left wrists of both young men. "Mating with a wolf, let alone one like him...?"


"What?" Wonwoo was startled, staring at the light around his wrist, which began to fade. "Do you know anything about this?" He looked at Mingyu, who refused to look back at him, his eyes on the ground. "Mingyu?"


"I kind of suspected," Mingyu finally murmured, his voice soft. "When I saw you reading in the library window this morning..." He sighed, looking up at Kris. "If you knew all this time, why didn't you say anything? Why tell me he's a wolf and to stay away from him?"


"I didn't know, until now," Kris replied sharply. "Which was why I told you to stay away from him. You are a reckless foolish child who shouldn't have come here!"


"And there's nothing you can do about it, or to me," Mingyu shot back angrily, drawing to his full height in front of the older vampire. "You know it, and yet you're still trying to intimidate me? Or is this Junmyeon's doing?"


"No, he doesn't know yet," Kris sighed, shaking his head again. "But he will. Even if there's nothing he can do, either." He barely glanced at Wonwoo, his eyes narrowing. "Do you have any idea of the mess you are causing, wolf?"


"You know my name," Wonwoo snarled at him, his hackles going up. "Use it."


"Jeon Wonwoo," Kris said, his lips curling. "You are more trouble than you are worth, and you should have let Lu Han kill you..." He snorted. "And his failure of a pup..."


Kris sighed again. "At any rate, it's too late now, so I leave you to your fate, Kim Mingyu." He glanced at Wonwoo, baring his teeth. "And you to yours, Jeon Wonwoo..."


He turned to go, then thought better of it, rummaging in the bag he held. His arm shot out as he threw a bottle of water at Mingyu, the younger vampire barely managing to catch it.


"What's this for, Kris?" Mingyu stared at it in confusion. "I don't understand."


"Consider it a gift," Kris replied with a small smirk. "Clean yourself up before you kill your mate with your stupidity." He gestured to Mingyu's bloodied hands, then disappeared, leaving them alone again.


Wonwoo stared after the man, his head reeling. They were mates? Did Lu Han know? And how did Professor Wu know Lu Han? All these questions were making his head spin. And he hadn't even been able to get the professor to explain anything before he'd gone.


"What the hell was that all about?" he asked, turning to Mingyu, who just stood there staring at the bottle of water before uncapping it and using it to clean his hands. "You called him Kris? Who is Junmyeon, and how do you know... him?"


"And you knew we were mates and didn't say anything to me? Why all the secrecy?" Wonwoo's hands were clenching into fists, his frustration growing. He didn't need this right now. Or at any time, for that matter. "Talk to me, Mingyu! You owe me an explanation." As did Lu Han.


"I said I only suspected," Mingyu murmured, his voice still soft as he scrubbed the blood from his hands, using that as an excuse not to look at Wonwoo. "I didn't know you, and you didn't know or trust me... if you recall." He sighed. "And then you hated me, so I thought it would be better if I didn't say anything..."


"How do you know... Professor Wu?" Wonwoo pressed, wanting to smack him for his stupidity. "You still haven't explained that."


"I told you, didn't I, that the local vampires don't like hybrids, that they want me dead," Mingyu sighed again. "Kris was one of the most vocal of them, and it was a total shock to me when I found out he was a professor here." He snorted. "But it explains a lot - why he knew what you were, and why he hates you so much."


"And why he hates you so much, too," Wonwoo murmured, sighing as well. So Professor Wu... Kris was a vampire. "I don't know how he knows Lu Han, though." And now he wasn't so sure he wanted to find out. At least he and Kris agreed on one thing - the fact that Sehun was a failure.

 

Almost as though talking about him made him appear, Lu Han suddenly ran up to them, out of breath and frantic. "You need to come," he said, panting as he gestured to Wonwoo. "Sehun's done it again, but..."


"But what?" Wonwoo asked, his eyes narrowed. "What has he done, Lu Han? And why didn't you stop him?"


"He attacked someone, I don't know his name, but this time, it's not the same as what he did to Wonwoo. This one, I think he's killed." Lu Han looked like he was going to fall apart, and Wonwoo couldn't even find it in him to care. "He's tall, like you, with dark hair, like you..." He pointed at Mingyu.


Mingyu stared at Wonwoo, the other man staring back at him with a growing dread. "DK.." they said in unison, scrambling to follow Lu Han, who'd taken off again now that he'd gotten their attention.


"Why didn't you stop him?" Wonwoo shouted at Lu Han as they ran to a remote part of the quad where a small crowd was gathering. He could now hear desperate crying, and it sounded like Seungkwan, his heart breaking for the young human. He was going to kill Sehun...


"Out of the way," Mingyu growled, pushing aside the spectators until they could see Seungkwan kneeling next to DK's bloodied body, the young singer hysterical. "Seungkwan, what happened?" he murmured, kneeling beside him and putting an arm around him warily.


"I went to find him because he wasn't in class," Seungkwan sobbed, clutching at Mingyu in desperation. "I didn't think to look for him here, so it took me a while, but..." His breaths were coming in gasps as he tried to catch his breath, made difficult because he couldn't stop crying. "I found him like this. I don't understand why someone would hurt him."


Wonwoo knelt at his other side, staring down at DK with a blank expression on his face. Was this how he'd looked after Sehun attacked him? Only he knew that this time, things were different. He hadn't had a mate; now that he knew what to look for, he could see the very faint white light around both DK's and Seungkwan's wrists, the flickering one around DK's wrist fading to nothing even as he watched. And unlike DK, he hadn't ended up dead.


"Oh no," he murmured, sitting back on his heels in shock and horror. "What have you done, Sehun...?"


The moment the light faded, Seungkwan began to scream, heart-rending shrieks that Mingyu quickly muffled by grabbing the singer and holding him close. "I'm so sorry," Mingyu murmured, Seungkwan's hair as he sobbed and screamed into his chest. "This shouldn't have happened..."


Looking up at Lu Han with blazing anger in his eyes, Wonwoo got to his feet and went for the older wolf, pushing him away from the crowd. "Why didn't you stop him?" he growled, fury in his voice and expression. "Now DK is dead because of you!"


"I... I didn't know what to do," Lu Han replied, stuttering slightly and scrambling backwards in the face of Wonwoo's rage. "I have never been able to control him..."


"Which is why you should have either given him to someone who could, or killed him!" Wonwoo looked around, knowing that Sehun was still there, lurking. Waiting, though who knew for what. "He is still here, so it's time we dealt with him. Or if you won't, I will!"


Grabbing Lu Han's wrist and taking off at a run, Wonwoo ignored Mingyu's shouts of panic. He needed to do this, to take care of Sehun once and for all. Sehun had hurt him, and killed DK, and he had to pay for it. As did Lu Han, by watching his precious lover die, unable to stop it from happening. As it wasn't something Mingyu could help with, Wonwoo would leave him to do what he could.


"He killed DK because of Mingyu, didn't he?" Wonwoo asked as he headed toward where he knew Sehun was hiding. "He's jealous, because he wants me and can't touch Mingyu, so he went after someone who reminded him of my mate." His eyes narrowed as he realised something. "And you're jealous because he wants me, not you..."


"He's always wanted you," Lu Han hissed, finally free to show his anger at being rejected by his pampered lover. "Ever since he saw you that night, he's been after you. Can you blame me? I've always given him what he wanted, but it wasn't enough! He had to have you!"


"And he couldn't even do that right," Wonwoo shook his head, disgusted. If Lu Han hadn't treated Sehun like a spoiled child, how differently things might have turned out. "You're pathetic."


"Why are you hiding, Sehunnie?" Wonwoo called out, taunting the young wolf. "I know you want me. I'm here..." He kept hold of Lu Han's wrist, his grip vise-like. There was no way he was going to let the other wolf go. "Come on, Sehunnie. Are you afraid of me suddenly?"


Wonwoo smirked. He knew a fool-proof way of getting Sehun to come out of his hiding spot. He Lu Han, starting to punch him viciously. If that didn't get Sehun's attention, nothing else would.


And he was right. A roaring sound was all the warning Wonwoo had before Sehun jumped at him in his wolf form, his teeth bared. Barely able to fight him off, Wonwoo crouched in a fighting stance, turning to face Sehun. "Why did you kill DK?" he asked, his voice deadly soft. "You screwed up, Sehun. He had a mate. And friends. You're such an idiot, and now you're going to have to die for it."


Lu Han stepped back, not able to face what was going on. "Please don't kill him," he begged, his eyes on Sehun. "He's all I have."


"It's too late, Lu Han," Wonwoo murmured as Sehun circled him, growling in rage. "He's killed the wrong person..." Bracing himself as Sehun jumped again, Wonwoo went down under the wolf's weight. He knew full well it was an uneven battle, but he was going to do his best. He had to, for his friends' sakes.

 

 

The ring of light around Mingyu's wrist flickered, making the vampire look down at it in worry and fear. An ambulance had arrived and the police were on their way, and there was still no sign of Wonwoo, or of Sehun. What was going on? If anything happened to Wonwoo...


The chaos only intensified once the police arrived and began to take statements. At one point, they were about to take Mingyu himself because of the blood on his clothing, but Seungkwan was adamant. He had nothing to do with DK's death. Plus he had alibis.


A cry went up when Lu Han reappeared, covered in blood and carrying Wonwoo's unconscious body. He looked like he'd been through hell, though Mingyu didn't care about that. He only had eyes for Wonwoo, the young wolf's body a mass of bruises, scratches, and bites. Someone called for a stretcher, and when it was brought out for him, Lu Han laid Wonwoo down on it and looked at Mingyu with dead eyes.


"It's done," he murmured, then turned away and was gone.


Unable to touch Wonwoo, his heart breaking, Mingyu insisted they take him with them when they took Wonwoo to the hospital. "He's my mate," he murmured, leaning over the stretcher protectively. He wasn't going to allow them to take Wonwoo anywhere without him. "He needs me, and I need him." Mingyu didn't care how it looked or sounded to anyone. He just had to make sure Wonwoo would be ok.


Once Seungkwan was able to vouch for him yet again, Mingyu was allowed to go with Wonwoo in the ambulance, and they headed for the hospital. Though what they would be able to do for him, Mingyu had no idea. He hadn't been in one since the war, and was scared. Most who'd gone in had never come out again.


"Take care of him," he murmured to the EMTs, who just shook their heads and continued to care for Wonwoo, bandaging his wounds as best they could. "Don't let him die..."


"He won't die," one of the men working on Wonwoo murmured, sighing in resignation. It was always the same thing, no matter the situation. "He's not that badly injured - it's not as bad as it looks."


Mingyu thought privately that the man was an idiot, given the flickering of the light around his wrist, but held his tongue; he couldn't afford to get thrown out if he angered them. There was no way he was going to leave Wonwoo, not now.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: *offers more tissues* Sorry, DK... *sadface* Just to make things clear, yes, Sehun has been taken care of. But by Lu Han, not Wonwoo...