Final

Sweet Bread and Rice Balls

 

Jonghyun groaned, wanting nothing more than to just go home and sleep at least 5 hours longer. Getting up a seven did not do any good to his mood.

Who invented this anyway? Why couldn’t school start around 1 pm and only take one or two hours to finish? Why was there so much crap they had to learn? Why just why?

Urgh!

“Come on, hyung, don’t be like that. You’re even worse than I am,” Minho, Jonghyun’s best friend, said teasingly since he was normally the one who couldn’t get out of bed.

“If had a y someone getting up to make breakfast for me every morning I might wouldn’t be in such a bad mood,” the older grumbled, thinking about his glorious idea with a stupid smile on his face.

“Sadly you still didn’t find your y someone,” the younger reminded, making his mood drop again together with his smile.

Jonghyun had been in the states for a year as an exchanged student and had therefore missed his first year of high school in Korea. Now was the first day for him to attend a Korean school again, the same school as his childhood friend.

It was still cold at the end of February, a scarf wrapped around Jonghyun’s neck in a hurried manner since he didn’t have enough time to do it properly. He always had to rush a lot in the morning therefore he had probably forgotten half of his stuff anyway so a messy scarf was not much of a problem.

They arrived at the school gates a few minutes of shivering and trying to stay warm later before they finally entered the warm hallways, a pleased sigh leaving the dino’s lips as he lifted his head out of his messy scarf.

The opening ceremony was as boring as always and Jonghyun used this time to get another snatch of sleep, counting on his friend to wake him up later on and tell him if there had been any important announcement but of course it was once again just the same boring stuff they said every year.

After this he had to wait at the entrance for his homeroom teacher since she still had to introduce him to the rest of the class properly. Of course they already knew there was a new student since news always spread like wildfire in a school but it was yet to be revealed who it would actually be.

“Alright, Jonghyun, let’s go then,” the young woman with a kind smile said and pushed up her glasses slightly before she lead the way towards the boy’s new class starting today.

She pushed the door open, the chattering inside immediately quieting down to only a few whispers that got louder as Jonghyun entered the room.

It was the same introduction he had chanted in America already. ‘Hi my name is Jonghyun, I hope we can all get along’ together with a charming smile and most girls were already taken care off. Most of the guys didn’t have anything against him either, because even if he wasn’t the tallest man out there he did have quite bulky arms and board shoulders as well as a good sense of humor so there was nothing much they could complain about.

Once he had taken his seat next to some funny looking guy called Jinki, the lesson started in the usual manner. First was all that unimportant stuff like school festival and a bunch of other dates, Jonghyun once again not listening to a word the teacher said.

He was new here so he could take a little break, right? It was his first day after all. It was the first day for all the other students as well but he was simply a special case and deserved special treatment…well, at least in his opinion.

No one would really miss him anyway.

The unimportant stuff took longer than expected and soon the bell rang announcing the best period of every school day: lunch break.

Excited Jonghyun took out his lunch box filled with delicious ‘healthy’ snacks he had bought the night before and settling at the chair in front of Minho, one leg on each side because he was too lazy to turn the chair around, his chest now leaning against the back rest of it.

“And?” Minho asked with an amused grin, seeing how his friend rolled his eyes.

“School is school, what do you expect. It’s pretty much the same everywhere although it was a bit more relaxed and funny in the states. Didn’t pay much attention there either though…”

Minho laughed and shook his head. “You’ll have to pay attention to the classes at one point, hyung, or you’ll end up in the streets and I won’t feed you.”

“Yeah, yeah, I know,” the dino said lazily, knowing very well he had to study at some point even if he didn’t want to be some sort of lawyer or anything but still. There were too many people with good grades out there for some lazy bum like him to be taken at a university or college.

“But this class here is pretty boring if you ask me,” Jonghyun remarked, looking to his left shortly where some guys sat and were fussing over some sort of game.

Minho shrugged with a smile. “Some are boring indeed but some are really nice. The other classes have some pretty cool people as well oh and by the way: Be glad you are sitting next to Jinki because he really is one of the nice guys and won’t stop you from paying attention.”

The dino snorted. “I really appreciate that, thanks.” He rested his head on his arms before he shot up in his chair again. “Oh , I was supposed to go to some guy’s office during lunch break!” he called, looking at his friend with big eyes. “I have no clue where that is…”

“No problem, I’ll take you there,” Minho said, already getting up from his chair as his name was called by their teacher.

“Ah, Minho, I need to borrow you for a while, would you mind coming with me?” the woman asked with a smile and the tall male nodded, sending an apologetic look at his hyung.

“One friend you are,” Jonghyun muttered sulkily.

“Sorry, I’ll just ask someone else to take you there…ah, there he is. Kibum!”

Minho beckoned someone, who was standing close to the girls, over and Jonghyun tried to see who it was.

At first he thought it was another girl but she would have been somewhat different then. It took him a bit but then he realized it was indeed a guy, a guy whit long, slightly wavy hair and y feline eyes. He wore some skinny jeans and light brown boots as well as a thin grey knitted hoody, which revealed his creamy shoulders and almost covered his hands, with a black top underneath.

“What is it?” he asked curiously, crooking his head in an adorable manner.

“Jonghyun here has to go to someone’s office but he doesn’t have a clue where it is and I need to help our teacher so could you maybe show him the way?” Minho asked blond who smiled happily.

“Sure,” he said cheerfully, turning to Jonghyun and smiling at him. “Nice to meet you, I’m Kibum.”

“Jonghyun,” the silver-haired said, still awestruck by the boy’s beauty.

“Awesome then let’s go,” Kibum said an turned around, showing the other two guys his glorious long hair that fell down his back and reached his waist.

Jonghyun quickly turned to Minho, mouthing a ‘wow’ and getting a knowing smirk from his friend in return before he followed the stunning beauty out of the classroom. He really needed to thank Minho afterwards.

“So, where have you been hiding until now? I haven’t seen you before,” Kibum said, turning his head around to Jonghyun who scratched the back of his neck with a laugh.

“I was in the states for one year as an exchange student,” he explained, not missing the sparkle in the other’s attention-drawing eyes.

“Aww, I wish I could go as well,” he said dreamily. “How was it?”

“Pretty awesome and the teachers are a lot more chill over there.”

Kibum laughed at that, making the dino grin stupidly and wanting to pat his own shoulder proudly for making this fox-like creature laugh.

“I’m sure they are.”

They continued to chat, Jonghyun telling stories from his exchange excitedly like a little child and completely forgetting where they were actually going until Kibum stopped and showed him a corridor with multiply offices.

“Whoever you were supposed to meet, they should have their office here,” he explained. “And maybe we can chat again sometime, I’d love to hear more,” he said with a smile, making Jonghyun’s heart flutter.

“Of course!” he called almost a tad too loud.

“I’m in the class next to yours in case you need a guide again,” the blond said with a small grin  and a wink before he waved and went back again, leaving Jonghyun alone with his stupid smile, needing some moments to pull himself together again.

He cleared his throat and knocked onto the door of the teacher he needed to talk to.

 

Once he was back in the classroom, shortly before class started again, he whistled as he reached Minho’s desk.

“How was it?” the younger asked with a knowing grin, the older flopping down on a free chair.

“Dude, how, just how did you keep this guy a secret from me until now?” the dino asked. “He’s like perfecting on two y legs!”

Minho nodded knowingly. “I just know your preferences to well.”

“I really have the best friend out there,” Jonghyun said, his brain still not fully functional anymore. “Please tell me he’s single.”

“He is.”

“Jackpot! I'll treat you to dinner this evening, chose anything you want.”

“Awesome!”

 

 

“It’s just a guess but do you have taken a liking in Kibum?” Jinki asked during one of their study halls a few weeks later and Jonghyun drew a strange looking line instead of an ‘l’ into his note book, blinking bewildered and clearing his throat.

“That obvious?” he asked meekly, feeling embarrassed about being found out so quickly. He talked a lot with Jinki because he was indeed really nice but he hadn’t talked about any love or like-related stuff until now.

The older chuckled quietly, continuing with writing like it wasn’t a big deal.

“Maybe not that obvious but it’s kind of noticeable that you run over to his class a lot. I mean it’s nothing bad, he is a nice kid after all.”

“Oh he is a lot more than just nice,” Jonghyun said dreamily before he realized what he had just said and straightened up a bit more, glancing at Jinki who was grinning knowingly.

“Of course,” he sing sang, turning back to his book and Jonghyun made a face.

“Then just a small tip,” Jinki said after another minute of silence. “Kibum always comes to school quite early so if you stand up earlier you might catch him since he doesn’t live that far from you.”

Jonghyun’s eyes sparkled and he looked at Jinki like he had just saved his life or…like a puppy who had just received a bone from his owner.

“I love you old man.”

Jinki glared at the slightly younger. “I’m not that old,” he grumbled but Jonghyun was already busy with planning his new morning routine.

 

It took him two or three tries before he found out where Kibum actually lived and another three until he caught him just at the right moment.

“Good morning, Gorgeous,” Jonghyun called after he had practiced it at least ten times in front of his mirror at home the night before, Kibum looking up surprised but smiling as he saw the older.

His coat was in a greyish brown with a fur rimmed hood. A round scarf was wrapped around his neck a few times, hiding part of his face. He really almost looked like a girl like this but it didn’t bother Jonghyun at all, he still thought the boy was a beautiful creature and if someone could pull off long hair, it was him.

“Good morning, Handsome,” he greeted back once he joined the other, Jonghyun feeling his ego bursting through the roof, immediately puffing out his chest a bit more with a self-satisfied look. Kibum snickered, trying to hide the fact that it was beyond funny how easily Jonghyun could be please with just one word.

“What made you get up so early?” he then asked as they started walking towards school, their breaths visible as small clouds in front of their mouths partly hidden behind their scarfs.

“Well, you know, just wanted to feel what it’s like not having to rush in the morning,” the older lied quickly. He obviously couldn’t tell Kibum he had pretty much stalked him the last few days so they could go to school together.

The blond hummed in understanding. “Must be though not to be a morning person,” he teased, making Jonghyun grin in embarrassment.

“Yeah, maybe you should teach me. You’re always come to school early after all.”

“Just so I can enjoy the silence for a while. I really like school buildings to be honest….might sound a bit weird,” the younger said with an embarrassed smile which made him look even more adorable, Jonghyun’s heart fluttering as he caught sight of the cute expression.

“Maybe it is weird but I think it’s good to be weird. Better than being boring,” Jonghyun declared with a nod, proud of his conclusion.

“Very poetic indeed,” Kibum said, trying not to laugh.

 

 

It was about a week later when Jonghyun was already late for buying his daily snacks for his lunch box. Only the ‘healthy’ stuff of course.

He didn’t even pay any attention to his surroundings, having no time since he still wanted to get some of that super sweet, extra-large bread that was always sold out really quickly but sadly…none of it was left. 

His mood dropped, staring at the shelf or more like glaring at it in disappointment. Now he only had one small bread he could eat tomorrow at school.

Maybe he could steal some from Minho or Jinki but both of them rarely gave him something, those meanies!

“Jonghyun?” came a voice from behind him, making the silver-haired turn around, surprised as he saw Kibum standing in front of him, one of the shop’s baskets in his hands, filled with vegetables and other fresh ingredients.

“Oh hey, I didn’t even see you,” the older said, scratching the back of his neck with a smile.

“Oh my god, what is that?!” Kibum asked, taking the bread out of the elder’s hand and looking at the back almost horrified. “Please don’t tell me you actually eat this?” his voice sounding almost disappointed.

“W-well I kinda….do…” Jonghyun mumbled carefully, not knowing why he suddenly felt so bad.

“That is like eating dyed sugar,” Kibum scolded, putting the bread away again and taking the other’s wrist, pulling him with him to the cashier.

“What are you doing?” the dino asked surprised as Kibum paid for his stuff, pulling him along again and giving him one of his bags to carry.

“We’re going to make some real lunch for you,” the younger declared, looking left and right before crossing the road in wide strides, his hair bobbing up and down with each of his quick steps, making Jonghyun look at it with hearts in his eyes and a idiotic, love-sick sigh.

“Where is your home?”

The older blinked in surprise. “Uhh…down that road and then the second house on the left,” Jonghyun said unsurely, not really knowing what was going on.

“Great, then let’s go.” So they continued, Kibum leading the way although it was Jonghyun’s home he had never visited before.

Just a minute later they were already at the front door, the older completely forgetting his key in his pockets because he was still too stunned to think properly so his mother had to open the door for them, blinking a few times as he caught sight of her son next to a girl with a really nice smile.

“Hello, Mrs. Kim. I’m Kibum, a friend of Jonghyun and we’re going to take care of his unhealthy lunch together,” the blond said happily, the elderly woman realizing this person was actually a boy, almost blushing in embarrassment.

“Oh…of course…please come in. The kitchen is that way,” she said excitedly, making room for them to enter and pulling her son down by his ear lobe so she could whisper into his ear as Kibum continued on to the kitchen already.

“Who is that incredibly nice boy you just brought home?” she asked curiously, greedy for some new information.

Jonghyun rolled his eyes to hide his embarrassment though that didn’t go unnoticed by the watchful eyes of his mother. “Just a friend,” he mumbled. “I met him at the store and he freaked out over the bread.”

“Jonghyun, get your over here,” Kibum called from the kitchen, making the male wince and hurry up to get there, his mother watching him leave with a knowing grin.

“Of course, just a friend,” she mimicked her son before she went upstairs quietly to inform her daughter about the happenings.

 

“Okay, just take out everything,” Kibum instructed, the older watching from the corner of his eyes how the blond quickly combined his long hair to a high ponytail, using a bunny ears hair tie to keep it  in place so it wouldn’t get in the way while they prepared their lunch boxes.

He wouldn’t admit it loud just yet but the way Kibum handled his hair was one of the iest things he had ever see, no idea why though.

The blond started babbling about doing this and doing that, doing it all himself anyway and only telling Jonghyun to get things for him. He was nagging at the older for minutes straight about his unhealthy way of eating, scolding him like a mother would normally do.

He still started chopping vegetables into bit-sized pieces and told Jonghyun to wash the rice. That was something he should be able to do.

“So…do you do this often?” Jonghyun asked after a little while, feeling slightly embarrassed since Kibum did pretty much all of the work and he was like a piece of furniture standing at the side and watching him work.

The younger looked up at him, some bacon sizzling in the pan. “Well, I hate this sugary stuff they sell at the stores so I mostly do it myself. It’s bad for my weight to eat this prepackaged food,” he said with a smile, waving the spatula in his hand around to bring his point across.

Jonghyun wondered why someone like Kibum would have to watch his weight. His figure was simply perfect and there wasn’t anything that needed to be changed. Just as he wanted to ask for the reason a loud bang was heard and someone stomped over to the kitchen, suddenly standing in the doorway.

The dino wanted to crawl into a hole and hide as he saw his sister’s stupid face, looking at Kibum with an unreadable expression, the blond staring back in surprise and the only noise was the sizzling of the bacon for some moments.

“My, you really look like a girl at first with that hair,” Sodam, Jonghyun’s older sister said awestruck. The silver-hair wanted to start nagging at her already but Kibum didn’t seem to have a problem with the statement and simply grinned.

“I get that a lot but most people realize after hearing me talk.”

It was true. Although Kibum’s voice might not be the deepest or most manly voice but you could definitely hear he wasn’t female.

“Aww, it’s so pretty,” Sodam said with a dreamy face, turning the boy around so she could take a closer look at his pony tail, letting the slightly wavy hair run through her fingers.

“And so soft! How do you do that?”

“Honey, oil and eggs.”

Jonghyun made a bewildered face, sending a strange look in the younger’s direction but Sodam seemed to understand.

“Oh, I’ve heard of that a few times already, maybe I should try it too…” she wondered out loud.

“It works pretty well for me so I guess it’s worth a shot,” Kibum said with a smile.

“You’re right, I’ll try it soon,” the girl said determinate. “Then I’ll leave you two alone again, I just wanted to confirm my brother wasn’t hitting on some clueless girl.”

“Yah, Sodam!” Jonghyun called angrily, almost throwing a glass after his sister who quickly fled from the kitchen back into her room where their mother was probably still waiting for her so they could discuss the awesome news.

“You have a very interesting family,” Kibum remarked in a teasing voice.

“Don’t remind me,” Jonghyun whined pitifully.

“By the way, you lunch box is finished,” the blond announced, showing the older his lunch box he didn’t even recognize anymore. There was one part filled with rice as a base, the part next to it filled with all kind of different vegetables and the bacon had been rolled up and tugged into the space that was left.

“And I had some rice left so I made some rice balls,” Kibum said, pointing at a plate with five perfectly made rice balls.

“I dunno if you like them or not so if you don’t then I’ll just take them.”

“No, no, no, it’s okay, I really like rice balls,” Jonghyun said quickly, wanting to taste as much of Kibum’s food as somehow possible. “Thanks for all that.”

The younger just sent him a soft smile. “No problem but I think I should get going now.”

“Oh, yeah, sure,” Jonghyun said, somehow wishing the other would stay longer. He still accompanied him to the door, meeting his mother in the hallway.

“You’re leaving already?” the woman asked the long-haired male who nodded.

“Yeah, it’s already dark outside.”

Jonghyun felt a sharp pain in his right side, glancing at his mother unsurely since he had no idea why she had just elbowed him.

“Right, Jonghyun, it’s already dark outside,” she said with a threatening sweet voice. “I’m sure you wanted to walk Kibum home, right?” she then added because Jonghyun had only stared at her cluelessly.

“O-of course, I’ll go with you,” Jonghyun quickly declared, putting on his jacket and not missing the blond’s quiet snicker.

“We’ll be going then…”

“Bye, Mrs. Kim.”

“Good bye, Kibum, come by anytime you want,” Jonghyun’s mother called and waved at the two before she closed the door and rolled her eyes.

“I really have one dense son,” she huffed and shook her head.

 

 

“Someone’s waiting for you,” Taemin sing-sang, making Kibum look up from his notebook. He smiled as he saw Jonghyun standing at the door of their classroom, looking around unsurely and waving as he saw Kibum looking at him, the younger waving back.

“Seriously, you two are way too obvious,” Taemin said with a roll of his eyes, Kibum just flashing him a happy smile.

“Maybe,” he said almost dreamily.

“But you should tell Mr. Dino to get his stuff sorted out because he still tries to hide it, it’s annoying how he looks at you like a love-sick puppy.”

Kibum slapped his friend’s arm. “Yah, don’t be mean to him.”

“What, it’s true. Everyone knows he has a thing for you.”

“Just let him be,” the slightly older said, packing his stuff and standing up.

“Sure thing, I didn’t intend of getting involved in such an idiot love story anyway,” Taemin mocked with a teasing voice, getting another small slap from Kibum.

“See you tomorrow,” the older called as he made his way over to the door, the younger just lifting a hand. “Have fun with your…whatever he is.”

“Hi Gorgeous,” Jonghyun said once the younger was close enough, Kibum smiling at him.

“Hi Handsome,” he greeted back. “On your way home?”

The older nodded, really liking the nickname Kibum had given him. Who wouldn’t like to be called handsome?

“I thought maybe I could a very dazzling male home?” he asked in a sweet, sugary voice and Kibum snickered, hitting his chest lightly.

“Stop being cheesy, Mr. Knight.”

“Is that a yes?”

“It is indeed.”

“Brilliant,” Jonghyun said with a big smile. “Shall we go then?”

“Of course my dear,” Kibum said, accepting the other’s arm and walking home with him, leaving behind some confused classmates and Taemin who started gaging from all the sweetness radiating through the room even after the two lovebirds had left.

 

 

“Damn, look at that piece of ,” some random dude said at the grocery store to his friend, Jonghyun whipping his head around and glaring at the guys who had just catcalled Kibum. They probably thought he was a girl but that didn’t give them the right to make such comments.

The younger had once again decided to take care of Jonghyun’s lunch together with him, still disappointed that the older actually took such sweet and unhealthy stuff to school which is why they were at the store right now, shopping for ingredients.

“Let them be, I get this all the time,” Kibum said with a soft smile to make to other calm down. “I learned to ignore it.”

Jonghyun still glared at the guys while they made their way down another aisle, not liking what they had just said in the least. He didn’t know why he reacted this strongly whenever someone said something regarding Kibum and his looks, it just made him want to scream and punch someone most of the time.

“Could you get that over there for me, I can’t reach it,” the younger said, pointing at a certain package on one of the top shelves a few meters away. Jonghyun nodded and went to get it, his eyes almost doubling in their size as he turned back around and saw a man in business suit and tie standing next to Kibum.

It seemed he had just entered the store to get lunch but now he was standing incredibly close to the younger boy, one arm almost around his shoulders as if they had known each other for a long time. Kibum looked extremely uncomfortable but didn’t say anything, probably too surprised to react. He was used to people catcalling him but people touching him this casually was extremely rare.

The elder’s eyes narrowed, quickly making his way back to the younger and hearing what the man said.

“Come on, sweetie, I could buy you some nice lunch and maybe you’ll give me your number,” he said with a smug smile on his face. What was even more disgusting was that he had a ring on his finger.

Jonghyun grabbed Kibum’s wrist and pulled him over to his side, wrapping an arm around his shoulders and glaring at the businessman. “I’m sorry, sir, but I think you should get someone your own age,” he said with a small sneer, steering the younger away from the man who staring at them with a slightly open mouth.

“Now…that was unexpected,” Kibum said meekly, not minding Jonghyun’s arm around his shoulders in the least.

“Can’t let someone touch my boyfr-”

Jonghyun froze and quickly shut his mouth, looking into a random direction as Kibum looked up at him curiously.

“Boy-what?” he asked, trying to hide his smile.

“Nothing,” Jonghyun said, tapping his foot nervously.

“No, say it,” Kibum urged, poking the elder’s side to get him to talk.

“No, it was nothing.”

“Tell me.”

“No…”

“Please~”

Oh god, someone really had to forbid Kibum to make such adorable and irresistible faces whenever he wanted something. He had his arms wrapped around Jonghyun’s waist and looked up at him with the most endearing kitten-eyes he had ever seen, trying not to crumble under those beautiful brown eyes but he didn’t stand a chance and sighed in the end.

“Boyfriend,” he muttered quietly, Kibum almost grinning by now.

“What was that?”

“Boyfriend…”

“I can’t hear you.”

“Boyfriend!” Jonghyun called, his cheeks reddening slightly but Kibum seemed to be please, smiling happily and not minding the woman who send them odd looks before she went back to shopping.

“See? Wasn’t that difficult,” Kibum said cheerfully.

“W-what?” Jonghyun stammered, his brain unable to understand what was happening right now.

“I like you too, boyfriend,” Kibum said cheerfully, standing on his toes and pressing a small kiss onto the elder’s cheek, taking his hand and pulling the dumbfounded male along. “And now we need to go get some milk, I need some for dinner.”

Jonghyun just followed the younger in a daze, staring at his back blankly and needing a few more minutes until he had understood what had just happened. It only doomed on him as they were already outside of the store, suddenly turning around to the younger with big eyes.

“Does…does that mean…like…we’re…together…now?” he asked dumbly and Kibum crooked his head.

“I thought that was obvious. Or do you think I kiss and hug every random guy I see?”

Jonghyun opened and closed his mouth a few times unintelligently, trying to come up with a responds. “I…”

“Don’t worry about it, we have time,” the younger said with a cheerful smile, taking his hand again and starting to walk, Jonghyun feeling a fuzzy inside and shook his head. He decided to shove all logic aside and just smile contently like the fool he was.

“Kibum,” he called, the younger turning around to him with a slightly crooked head. “Can I get a real kiss then?” he asked with pleading eyes. The other sighed quietly but had to smile nevertheless.

“Alright, come here.”

Jonghyun quickly shuffled closer and bent down to make it easier for the other because he was a bit smaller. His heart jumped around in his chest and almost exploded as Kibum pressed hi soft lips again his own, his ear ringing and his body feeling like it was melting away. He could indeed get used to this.

“Happy now?” Kibum asked teasingly and the older nodded happily, grinning like the most stupid idiot that has ever walked on earth.

He had just gotten himself a boyfriend and he didn’t even know how it happened but he didn’t have a problem with it at all so it was alright.

 

He really had to thank Minho…

 

 

 

Thanks for reading <3