2

The Maiden's Gift

Myungsoo and Naesang panting got heavier over the course as they carried their camp load, uphill, through the forest. Myungsoo was leading and pacing himself well as an experienced climber, his uncle, on the other hand, was drifting left and right their materials as his legs grew weaker by every step. And soon without realizing it, the space in between the two lads began to build up and soon Myungsoo was way ahead of Naesang.

It was over the hilltop where Naesang lost sight of Myungsoo and switched direction as he assumed the lad had taken the particular path. As they unknowingly split ways Myungsoo soon came to a stop to catch his breath. As he twirled his head around in search of his uncle, he panting came to an immediate halt, “Uncle?” Scanning the dead forest his rapid beating heart started to beat for a different reason. Concerns washed over him when he noticed his uncle was no longer behind him, “Uncle Naesang!” He hollered to get a response. “Where did he go?” He mumbled to himself when he was certain that the elder was not around.

As Myungsoo retract his steps, there was still no answer from his uncle. With his hands cupped around his lips, he continued to call for his lost relative, “Uncle Naesang! Where are you? Unc—” From afar, the sight of a house caught Myungsoo’s attention and made him swallow the rest of ‘uncle’. As if the house was pulling him in, Myungsoo took big yet curious strolls toward the scene. Soon enough he was right in front of the wooden home that stood two stories tall and was bigger than his uncle’s place.

“Uncle, are you in there?” He questioned the quiet setting, “Hey, uncle,”

Myungsoo became startled when there was sudden movement and the front door was opened by a figure. Coming out of the home was a woman, one Myungsoo was not familiar with but her sudden presence made him warm. As the air around him started to heat up and he felt comfortable. Myungsoo was amazed at her beauty, she was one with wavy black locks, sparkling eyes, and fair milky skin. But before all else, her blue dress captured Myungsoo’s attention. Once their eyes met, Myungsoo immediately grew flustered.

“O-oh hello miss,” he greeted with a gentle tone, “do you live here?” he asked.

“Yes,” she answered shortly.

“Sorry to disturb you, but do you live here alone?”

“Yes,” she replied, this time with a big smile on her face. Her teeth were white and her voice husky. Her appeal somehow attracted him and for whatever reason Myungsoo couldn’t think straight with her eyes on him. It was a feeling he had experienced before when he first knew he had fallen for Sungyeol. Somehow him losing his uncle became a minor issue and he was no longer interested in trying to find the man. What he wanted to know more was this beautiful woman that stood before him.

“I’ve traveled quite a bit around this forest but it’s the first time I’m seeing you,” Myungsoo commented, hoping she would notice that he was pushing for an answer.

“I’ve just moved here,” she replied before inviting him in, “it’s getting dark, would you like to come in and maybe get some rest?”

With her mentioning it, Myungsoo quickly noticed how the sky had gotten darker and how the sun was no longer over the heads of his and the trees but rather hiding behind their trunks.

“Sure,” he said, without hearing himself out first. Once Myungsoo was seated at the table, he started to note how warm and beautiful it was on the inside. He had noticed the flower pots outdoor but on the inside, she had a variety of colored cloths hanging about to decorate the walls and entrances. Not to mention her fluffy white carpeted rooms and even the scent of her home was welcoming. “But what is a beauty as yourself doing out here alone without anyone else around?” He finally asked as she poured him a glass of ginger tea.

She flashed him a warm smile before answering, “I’m one with nature,”

“One with nature?” He questioned. Her answer was unexpected. Judging by her appearance, he would thought she was a runaway princess just waiting for a prince to come to her rescue. Once she finished pouring him a cup, she got herself one as well before taking a seat across from him.

“Yes, in the realm of nature where single animals search for love and their fated partners,”

“You’re implying…?”

“I’m waiting for my fated partner,”

“Out here?” Myungsoo subconsciously asked. Now he was starting to believe that she was a runaway princess in need of a prince rescue.

“Yes,”

“But why out here…?”

“Why not?” Her responses were quick and short. As they kept the conversation going, with the topic being about her, Myungsoo soon noticed his stomach had become heavier. “Would you like another cup?” she asked. Myungsoo raised an eyebrow then gaze downward toward his empty glass.

“Oh, sure. Just how many cups did I drink…?” he mumbled to himself.

“Drink as many cups as you’d like. I can always brew more,” she replied, in order to comfort him. As she got up from the table, Myungsoo’s eyes were quickly drawn to the opened window in the kitchen. He could see how pitched black it had gotten outside but the urge to leave did not occur to him.

“By the way, I never got your name,” Myungsoo started.

From the kitchen, the lady the stove to boil the clean water before answering, “My name is Ailee,” she replied with a smile.

Sungyeol was flipping through the papers on the clipboard when the front desk assistant got up and excused herself.

“Then, I’ll be leaving Dr. Lee,” she said. Sungyeol gazed her direction and hummed.

“Have a safe trip home. I’ll see you tomorrow,” he said while sending her off. Once everyone has left, Sungyeol locked the front door and went to his office where he examined the list of patients. He noticed Myungsoo never checked out. Sungyeol sighed and pulled out the note written by Myungsoo from his white jacket. “Where are you now?” He asked to no one in particular. Before Sungyeol knew it, there was a figure standing at the door. Then with a slight knock, Sungyeol glanced toward the direction and saw the man. “Lee Sungjong!” He cried.

“Hello,” the pretty man who could pass for being unhealthy due to his skinniness waved with a bright smile, “how are you Sungyeol?” he asked.

Surprised and at a loss for word Sungyeol’s mouth began to fall open on its own, “What are you doing here? How did you get in Sungjong?”

“I snuck in before you locked the doors,” the lad, Sungjong replied while wearing his same smile. A smile that was too pretty for any masculine man. By looking at his feminine cousin, Sungyeol knew Sungjong came from the city. The lad was carrying a bag covered with pins and had a cap to stylize his long brown hair.

“But why are you here?” Sungyeol asked for a clearer answer this time.

“I missed you and thought I should stop by and sleep here before my next destination,” Sungjong answered. Sungjong was what others would call the golden spoon. A child who was raised and showered with money and goods. And as someone who doesn’t need to make a living yet, traveling was his only hobby.

“W-why would you sleep in a clinic? Did you visit my house yet? Why didn’t my dad offer you a room?” Sungyeol asked without giving any Sungjong any space to answer.

Sungjong’s smile turned into that of a smirk as he made his full appearance, “Do you still have feelings for me?”

“Excuse me?” Sungyeol asked with a snap in his tone as he eyed Sungjong down.

“You acting like this says you still like me,” Sungjong said without batting an eye. Sungyeol tried to control himself as the pretty man closed in on him. “If I’m wrong then you should tell me,”

“You’re...you’re,” before Sungyeol could finish speaking, Sungjong was already standing in front of him. The newcomer placed his hands on Sungyeol’s shoulders and sighed.

“I guess it’s a good thing I came then,”

“Ailee,” Myungsoo repeated in mumbles, “Well Ailee, I should get going—” Myungsoo attempted to finally stand but was stopped when he felt the texture of Ailee’s skin against his when she grabbed his wrist. Without realizing it and for someone who can't feel the cold, ice began to build up and envelope Myungsoo’s skin starting from his toes.

“Please,” Ailee began, keeping her palm pressed against his skin. As he was taken by her eyes and her eyes alone, he continued to fail at seeing what was happening. “Please stay a little longer, Myungsoo,” she mumbled before the growing ice crystals finally embraced all of Myungsoo’s body, ceasing time for him. As Ailee set a step back, she gazed at her own reflection in the icy crystal that held Myungsoo within, and one that has become a body mirror. “I’ve missed you,” she said in a light whisper.

Then slowly but surely she leaned forward and wrapped her arms around the crystal to reassure herself that Myungsoo was inside the body of ice.

And in half a year’s time, Myungsoo would be awoken by the Summer’s sun and find himself on the bed in the home that belonged to the woman. He would scan the room for any signs of Ailee but there would be none. At least not for the whole day he spent in her home, just waiting. Once he finally took his first step out of her home, he’d find the weather a little different than the previous day. He’d see that the trees that had been losing its leaves like an old man losing his hair have grown more leaves than before. He’d find his uncle’s home completely vacant as if he had moved a long time ago. With every step, Myungsoo found it, stranger and stranger, as his world seemed to have changed drastically overnight.

However, he was glad to find that Sungyeol’s clinic was still up and running. Which gave him hope that not everything was strange or very different. Until he got closed enough to the entrance to catch a scene he’d never thought he’d ever get to witness. Coming from the opposite direction was Sungyeol, who was being held and guided by a man Myungsoo was not familiar with. Not knowing what to do, Myungsoo suddenly felt the need to hide. As he took cover behind a tree, he continued to watch them like a hawk.

Once they got to the door, their follow up action was what threw Myungsoo off. He observed as the stranger wrapped his arms and clapped his hands together around Sungyeol’s waist. A gesture that one would normally find between couples. When he thought it couldn’t get much worse, Myungsoo saw how the pretty lad leans inward and planted a sweet kiss on Sungyeol. What further surprise Myungsoo was the fact that Sungyeol seemed to enjoy it and did not push the male away. Then his heart soon dropped when Sungyeol caressed the other on the cheek, making the stranger smile brightly.  

Sungyeol is cheating, Sungyeol has been cheating were thoughts that ran through Myungsoo’s head. Finally, when Myungsoo thought he should just turn away and leave, something else caught his eyes.

Flashing under the sunlight and on Sungyeol’s important finger, his ring finger, was an engagement ring.