1

The Maiden's Gift

“I’m telling you, I’m fine,” Myungsoo said gently to the person sitting beside him. The man wearing the white coat had his large hand pressed against the lying down Myungsoo’s forehead. With a hefty sigh, the male drew his hand back and placed it on the edge of Myungsoo’s bed.

“Still, you should know I get worried when you’re outside because of your condition.” The man with brown curls said, his voice uneven yet slow-paced. Myungsoo sat up at that and look the fellow in his brown eyes.

“I’ve told you before not to worry. I’ve never felt the cold ever since I was a child. I was also—”

“Never a victim of a fever or a cold,” the man finished for him, “yes I know, You’ve told me multiple times, but still, I can’t just rest and let it slide. What if you really catch a cold? What will you do?” In the lad’s tone was anxiety. Myungsoo brushed his slick, black hair back with a pale hand when his company started to sound like a nag.

“If one day I ever get that sick I’ll just have to come find you. Then,” Myungsoo reached down and grabbed ahold of the latter’s big hand, “you’ll cure me right?” He said as he caressed the man’s paw.

The man frowned at him, “Is that all I am to you? A doctor? You jerk, if you don’t get hurt then you don’t ever pay me a visit.” The sound of his company changed and held jealousy. “Am I not even as important as those animals you hunt in the woods?” He asked. Myungsoo couldn’t hide his smile when his partner’s action was irresistible. He placed the doctor’s hand against his chest and eyed the man.

“You should have checked my heartbeat first before throwing accusations at me, Dr. Lee Sungyeol,” Myungsoo said cheekily, the man with brown hair scoffed in disbelief but couldn’t control the corner of his lips from curling upward. The rapid beating of Myungsoo’s heart somehow gave the doctor strength and reassurance. In the brightness of the clinic room, their smiles brighten up one another heart and body.

Myungsoo was in his casual black wear—wool sweater and leather pants—standing by the window alone in the room, looking out into the gathering of trees behind the clean glass. Though the sun was out, the sky was a slight grey due to the raining season. In the warm room, Myungsoo’s body felt cool and relaxed. Out in the woods, it was rare for people to meet and fall in love, but Myungsoo and Sungyeol were able to do so nonetheless. It’s been three years since he had known the young doctor, but it has been two since they’ve been going steady. Myungsoo was named one of South Korean best and youngest hunters in his region ever since fifteen, though he has been hunting two years prior.

It was the first time he was hurt during a hunt that he was able to meet the seventeen-year-old Lee Sungyeol. At the time Sungyeol was only an intern who was training under his own father, who was also a doctor. “Your skin is ice cold.” Were the first words Sungyeol had ever said to Myungsoo on their first encounter. Though it wasn’t the first time Myungsoo had heard it, it was the first time that a stranger had looked at him with such concerns. It was after that day that Myungsoo found the worrywart, Sungyeol, adorable.

“Myungsoo,” a voice called from the door, Myungsoo looked over his shoulder to meet the dark eyes of Sungyeol’s father, Dr. Lee Yeonwoo. Myungsoo quickly greeted the older with a bow before locking eyes again.

“You came, Dr, Lee?”

A smile perked up at the clean shaved facial of the older, “Of course I had to when I heard you came in, why? Afraid I might make you another task for Sungyeol?” Myungsoo let out a nervous chuckle, hoping the lad meant what he said.

“No, it’s just I thought you’d be busy. As the chief here I wouldn’t want to bother you with minor injuries.” Myungsoo explained. The older reached over to pat him on the arm gently.

“Why would you bother me? Isn’t your doctor always Sungyeol whenever you come?” Yeonwoo teased, earning a short-lived laugh from the hunter. “Anyway I thought you would be bored since my son has a list of patients to tend to today, so I came in to check up on you. But other than scratches it looks like you’re doing fine, right?”

“Yes, just minor injuries from traveling in the woods.”

“I see. Well, I’ll be going then since I have a meeting.” Yeonwoo said before taking his leave. Once he left the room Myungsoo heaved a relieved sigh. Myungsoo was annoyed, it has been two years and he should have been accustomed to the older’s presence by then. However, the older’s appearance was still just as frightening as when they had first met and Myungsoo asked to openly date his one and only son, Sungyeol.

In the ten-rooms clinic, Myungsoo was starting to wonder where Sungyeol went. In the crowded halls, he made his way toward the front desk, meeting the face of a lady in her early thirties. “Oh patient Kim, are you leaving now?” She questioned, in which Myungsoo denied in return.

“Not yet, actually I was wondering if you know where Dr. Lee Sungyeol is, does he have an appointment right now?” Myungsoo asked.

The lady flashed him a smile, “Let me check for you okay?” She said as she went to open up a scheduled notebook. Her soft hum earned his attention before she spoke, “He had a patient after you but the patient already left,”

“Then where is he?” Myungsoo asked, cutting off the woman from finishing.

“It looks like Dr. Lee went to the meeting.”

Myungsoo then recalled the meeting Yeonwoo mentioned, but he didn’t remember anything about Sungyeol having to take part in the gathering. “Do you know when they’ll be done?”

“Sorry, I’m not sure. By any chance are you feeling unwell? Should I call for him?”

Myungsoo bit his lips. He wanted to leave but not without telling Sungyeol. “No, it’s fine. But, would it be alright if I wait for him in the room?” She nodded right away and gesture toward the hall.

“Yes, please wait in the room he checked you in.”

While waiting for Sungyeol, the usually active Myungsoo couldn’t defeat boredom thus began to zone out. Sitting in the chair with his arms crossed, Myungsoo fell into a slumber with his head pressing against the cold window. However, Myungsoo could not feel the cold as he slept comfortably.

Sungyeol shut his files of paperwork as he stood up to meet his father’s height. It was no doubt that the lad inherited both height and skills from his father. The only differences is how both of their minds and emotions work. Sungyeol, being young was inexperienced and emotional, meanwhile, Yeonwoo who was fed up was harsh and worn out. Sungyeol met eyes with his father and could feel the intensity of the atmosphere. “I went to see Myungsoo earlier. Did he come in with an injury or was it just to see you?” Yeonwoo asked.

The younger doctor slapped his files against his side and held it there, “While on a hunt he has been camping out for the last two weeks in this weather. I thought I should take precaution in case he gets sick,”

Yeonwoo cut Sungyeol off right after, “So you called him here when he’s perfectly healthy?”

Sungyeol heaved a sigh. He knew his father was against them seeing each other, but there was no reason for him to in on every little thing. At least Sungyeol thought so. “I told you it was to take precaution in case he’s catching something. Also, he’s my patient so he’s my responsibility, so please don’t worry about how I treat my patient.”

Yeonwoo didn’t want to cause an argument thus gave in, “Fine since he is your patient and your responsibility I’ll stop here. But if he’s not sick then send him off already.” With that Yeonwoo exit the room, Sungyeol rolled his eyes and followed after. After being reminded that Myungsoo was still in the building, Sungyeol rushed back to the room. He noticed how the handsome man was sleeping against the window, his arms that were once crossed over his chest has fallen into his lap.

As Sungyeol strode in he looked down to see the top of Myungsoo head, before falling into a squat in order to see his lover’s face. Sungyeol traced Myungsoo’s sleeping face to his arms and hands. The tall doctor brushed his partner’s hands with his own, feeling the always icy skin of his. “Please don’t be cold,” Sungyeol whispered, cupping Myungsoo’s hands. Then slowly he rested the side of his head against their knotted hands and exhaled heavily.

When night fell Sungyeol opened his eyes to an empty room. The chair that once held Myungsoo was empty and all he could feel under his weight was its cushion. Worry flooded Sungyeol’s mind as he searched the room for Myungsoo, but found no one. He let out a disappointed breath of air before noticing a note on the chair. Sungyeol reached over to grab it and soon open up to read the content on the rusty paper.

My love Sungyeol, I’ve pictured your sleeping face and taken it with me for my next trip. I wished I could have said my goodbyes but I couldn’t disturb your sleep. When I return from my next journey I promise I will visit you on my own and not for an injury. Stay handsome until I see you again. - Your one and only Myungsoo

Myungsoo’s note meant for another hunting trip, meaning a more for days or weeks without any visits. Sungyeol sighed a little too sharply. He couldn’t understand why Myungsoo treasured hunting, a hobby, more than their relationship. It looked like Sungyeol was the only one who’s bothered by his father’s opinions on their relationship and not Myungsoo.

How he wishes he could make Myungsoo understand.

But the lad can’t even feel the cold, let alone warmth, so how could he understand how Sungyeol felt? Sungyeol was doing all the feeling for both Myungsoo and him, by himself.

Myungsoo came to a two-storied wooden cabin. In front of the door where paint was peeling, he knocked against the brown color of it. “Uncle,” he called, “uncle! I’m here, are you ready for our next trip?” The door opened slightly after with a creak as a head poke out from behind, the man’s hair was messy as he hadn’t brushed and washed it for weeks. He had one eye open, hinting that he had just woken up. Myungsoo scoffed a little, “Uncle Naesang, were you sleeping at this hour?”  

The older man reached under his shirt to scratch his itch, “Oh you’re back already, I thought you’d spend a day with Sungyeol.”

Myungsoo shook his head, “There’s no time. We must hunt every day we can before the snow rolls in or we won’t have enough stock for the winter.” The man yawned comfortably before nodding.

“Fine, fine, let me grab my things then we’ll go.” Before the older could shut the door Myungsoo reminded him in a hurried tone.

“Make it fast, we’ll need to set up camp before it gets any darker!”

“Sure, sure.” The man replied before closing the door behind him. Meanwhile, Myungsoo looked around. He saw how the fences were still standing and the ten stepstones that led to the doorway was still in place. Though the cabin belonged to his uncle, Myungsoo had spent his childhood there thus he was familiar with the standing fence and stones.

As a toddler Myungsoo would often sneak outside as the interior was too crowded, thus his uncle built the fence to keep him around the cabin. The stepstones then served as small islands for the young and small Myungsoo if there happened to be heavy rain on some days, leaving ponds and puddles on the earth’s soil.

In the midst of examining, Myungsoo was completely blind to the figure hiding behind a tree, dressed in a bluish white dress. “Have you been living well with my gift?”