Iris

Unwilted

As the rain pour down, he felt the sky darkened even more. He cannot see it yet he wants to and he blames it on the rain. He’s numb, too immuned to cold and darkness is what he only sees. He begged for sunshine but it was never given to him. And since that day, it never stopped raining.


Walking in the slippery streets, he carefully held the basket of Primroses he had picked with a black umbrella tucked in his right hand. Winning in a battle of yes or no, he decided to go despite the crisp water hitting the asphalt.

The wind blew filled with anger, the thunder boomed even louder as if the sky was longing for a justice that will never exist. But Wonwoo, the guy under the rain never saw it. Because   Wonwoo, the guy under the rain doesn’t see anything. And he will never do... again.


 



Jeon wonwoo, intelligent, bright and optimistic. The kid who flashes a ray of sunshine in his eyes. Every day he wakes up, watching the sun rises from its bed as if the clouds served as its pillows. He will spend his first five minutes by looking at the freshly risen sun beamingly sharing its warmth to his garden of primroses. Every morning, everything was clear.

It was on his 9th grade when day by day becomes blurry. He struggled to open his window   every morning, asking himself where could the sun be. Until he heard the soft droplets of water becoming louder. It was raining. In his few days of waiting, he would open his window hoping for a golden beam of light but the shadow of the pouring rain welcomes him and day by day he questioned himself, why does it have to rain?

On his 10th grade, he had a glimpse of the sun again. He wore his eyeglasses as if it was his strongest armor in the midst of a great war. The golden beam of light that once turned into gray was now on his sight again and he, once thought, will never miss it again. Each night, when the moon glistens up on the dark, he would still think of the sun. How it shines, how it gives  life to his favorite primroses planted down infront of his window view, how it gives him hope and how it reminded him of a new beginning. His heart flutters but as each night passes by, 
he knew it will not last the way he wanted.


Like a gun running out of bullets, his armor slowly succumbed down. The only ray of sunshine faded and the rain that was once light became the heaviest. Even the moon that lightens up the night when the sun was on its bed of clouds refused to glow. It was only darkness.

glaucoma...

The lens of his armor turned thicker and thicker. But the only treatment that could save his hope costs more than his mother could afford.

Two golden orbs that used to flash rays of sunshine were now drowned in tears. The sun in his sight completely vanished and it was tears that replaced his source of sunshine just like how the rain covered his sun.

He cried and cried until his eyes turned swollen and red. He cried and cried but the sky, just like him shed its tears.

One morning he woke up, not hearing the roaring sound. It wasn’t raining but he couldn’t see. His hand searched for the umbrella that serves to be his cane. Patting around carefully, he made his way to his window making sure not to stumble. The smell of fresh primroses welcomed him as soon as he opened it. It was spring.

It was not hard for him to harvest the flowers even he had lost his sense of sight. He had memorized every detail of the place and it was still clear to him yet the scent of primroses reminded him of the sun.

If there was one thing he loved from the rain, it was the rainwater itself. Every time he cries under the endless pour, his tears blend in with the crispy waters , he could let his tears fall just like the rain water pouring down. It was just another rain, hitting the cold ground that no one could ever identify.


.. He made his way to his mother’s flower shop to deliver the primroses he had picked. It was the most requested flower of a regular customer he hasn’t met yet. His mother told him that    the customer under the name of Kim Mingyu is young, good looking, and tall as a tree with a slightly golden kissed skin. And with that word, golden, he cringed. He remembered the sun.

 



The smell of various flowers welcomed him, enough for him to know that he reached the flower shop without getting honked by loud car horns that startles him inside whenever he cross the streets. His mother worries a lot about him but knowing wonwoo and his love for primroses, there is nothing she can do about it. He heard the familiar noise inside and the voices that give him warmth after going through a rough rain. Suddenly, he felt a hand, helping him with the basket and the umbrella.

"Thanks." Wonwoo said, letting the other hold the basket he was holding.

"Nice to meet you. The name’s Mingyu." The taller boy smiled, revealing an unconditional    feeling he has as soon as he got his sight on the primroses the other boy had brought. But actually, it’s not all about the primroses. There was something about the shorter boy that made him smile and he was ready to figure it out.

 

"And thank you for growing these beautiful flowers." Maybe because he is the one who takescare of his beloved primroses. Mingyu thought to himself, shrugging his shoulders with a hint of smirk forming at the side of his lips.

Wonwoo’s mom had told Mingyu about Wonwoo many times. She would tell him his favorite food, his favorite songs, almost everything about Wonwoo. He would listen to her, elbows on the table, memorizing every bits and pieces about the boy he never met. As time passes by, Mingyu grew as if he knew Wonwoo through her stories but as fate being a great trickster, they never had the chance to meet. But now, fate finally gave in and Mingyu was grateful for that.

"Wonwoo. It was nice meeting you too." Then, he remembered. It was him, the guy with a golden skin, the guy who loves primroses as much as he do.


Their short introductions were interrupted by a familiar voice. It was Wonwoo’s mother hurriedly making her way to him. "Aigoo.. Wonwoo-ah, are you alright? The rain is heavier today! Oh, Mingyu!" She was busy scanning Wonwoo’s body when she saw the taller boy standing behind them. Mingyu bowed and greeted her with a warm smile. He couldn’t deny that Wonwoo derived his features from his mother. From his eyes to the shape of his lips and the glow of his skin, it was all from her.

"Eomma, I’m fine. Stop worrying too much it’s not good for your heart." Wonwoo sincerely said as he gently untangled his mother’s hand from him.

Flowers and his mother, these keeps him alive even without his sun. His mother had became not only his sun but also his rain, his one of a kind parcel that he cannot live without and on top of his favorite flowers, nothing beats his mother.

"Tch. This kid! Your head is really harder than a stone." She made her way inside, followed by the other two with the basket of flowers still on Mingyu’s hold.

"Oh, I got the primroses nice and beautiful today. Well they are beautiful everyday." Wonwoo smiled at the thought of his favorite flowers.

Mingyu handed the basket of flowers to Mrs. Jeon and watched them with a smile hidden in his eyes but then it was replaced by a sad smile. If only she was here too...

"Mingyu! Our Wonwoo got you beautiful and fresh flowers today!" Wonwoo’s mother said cheerfully.

Wonwoo shook his head and smiled at the fact that her mother could change her mood in less than five minutes.

"I’d love to have those." The taller boy reached for his pocket to get his generous payment. "I’m getting one extra bouquet today." He himself didn’t know what that extra bouquet was for but internally he knew someone who would be more than grateful with that extra bouquet.

"Seems like someone had finally caught our Kim Mingyu’s elusive heart." Wonwoo’s mother teased cheerfully.

"Ah, no it’s not like that." Mingyu flashed a shy smile as he slightly rubbed the back of his head.

His attention was caught by the smaller boy sitting in one of the benches near the bundles of flowers getting ready to be arranged. He can’t help but smile with the thought of the smaller boy’s love for flowers especially the Primroses ones. It was eternal. He made his way to where the smaller boy is, carefully sitting at the other side of the bench trying not to ruin the calmness of the other by his presence.

"They are pretty aren’t they?" Mingyu flinched in surprise, not expecting Wonwoo to know that he is actually there. He looked around to check if it was really him who he is talking too and he confirmed it by himself because nobody was there besides the both of them.

"They are beautiful and I regret that I discovered them at the wrong time." There it was again,a sad smile painted genuinely all over his face. The taller boy, with his heavy heart, was having a hard time to forget and it keeps on coming back no matter how he tried wiping it away. Because it wasn’t easy than I thought it to be... The pain, the emptiness, everything that happened on that day. He would never forget.

Wonwoo traced the smallest pinch of pain on Mingyu’s words. His hands carefully searched for a stem of any flower on the table and handed it to the taller boy. It was a long stemmed Iris, symbolizing hope, and a promise of love that would never be broken. But they have no idea.

"As long as you see it already, you should stop regretting. The beauty of flowers never fade anyway."

"Thanks."

It’s not really just about the flowers, it’s really about Jeon Wonwoo.


 


Author's note: Thankyou for subscribing as soon as it was posted! /hugs you forever/ This will be a three - shot btw. (If i could finish it as soon as possible kkk~)  Hope you'll enjoy reading ;) comments will be highly appreciated! Thankyouuuuuu soooooo sooooo much ~