Chapter 2

The Proposer

NO PROOF READ, SORRY.

Chaerin sat at one of the long benches in the busy airport. She was so sleepy, despite pouring almost half of grand size hot Americano through since half an hour ago. She hated waiting on people, but now she had to, how annoying.

 

To kill her time, she scanned a lady who sat in front of her. Wrinkled shirt, no makeup, tears stained on her face, the lady was in mess. She twirled a ring on her ring finger, a simple white band, a wedding ring. Chaerin noticed how she anxiously glanced at the front door every now and then and her face looked dejected every time she found no one behind her back.

 

How pity.

 

Other than the anxious lady, there are lovers beside Chaerin and an old, boring businessman sat diagonally across from her.

 

Chaerin didn’t even look at the couple to know that that was a one sided love, the girl was bubbly and oblivious, while the boy pretended to listen in the whole conversation while glancing at Chaerin’s leg every ten seconds.

 

The boring businessman though, didn’t seem as boring as he appears. Just like the anxious lady, his suit was also wrinkle, but only in a few places, like someone incapable had iron it for him. The cheap suit looked even cheaper. But the thing that intrigued Chaerin the most was, his expensive rolex, it didn’t suit the cheap clothes. Did he steal it? He isn’t like the type. But Chaerin knew better not to judge a book by the first glance, so she studied the man even more.

 

She noticed that the man glance at liquor ads at a café nearby for a hundred times already, but didn’t even spare a second glance when a really pretty woman with a really short skirt passing by, even the boy beside her openly drooled at the y woman. Chaerin would think that the man was married with kids and loved his wife so much but he didn’t wear any ring. Then it hit her, he was a widow, with a really bad alcohol addiction. Because the man started to sweat and clench, unclench his fist while glancing at the liquor ads again. Poor brokenhearted man. I surrounded myself with pitiful lovers, Chaerin thought while sipping her coffee.

She was distracted when announcement for departure flight to Jeju was heard and the couple besides her stood up. Only then she noticed a diamond ring on the girl’s left hand. Engaged? Bastard. Chaerin almost threw her coffee to the boy when he winked shamelessly at her.

 

She shifted her glance at the boring businessman again. He now looked at his expensive rolex, checking the time. His face turned calm, his lips twitch a bit, forming a soft smile. The rolex from his wife? But they were poor, the suit says it all. What is it? Proud look? Ah, son, or daughter?

 

Chaerin decided that the rolex was from his son, the wrist watch looked too masculine to be chosen by a woman.

 

Not too long after, announcement for departure flight to Singapore was heard, both of the businessman and the anxious lady stood up.

 

Ah, now I’m bored.

 

Chaerin gulped down her coffee and fought a yawn. This people sure took their time. She was torn to just go home and ditch them, but her gut told her to stay. So she stay put until two men with dark suit approached her 15 minutes later.

 

“Took you long enough,” she sneered.

 

“We’re sorry, Ms. Lee,” the shorter man of the two bowed down to her, saying sorry without even meaning it. The man’s face was stoic and screamed professional, with a subtle you-don’t-want-to-mess-with-me vibe, but Lee Chaerin was the girl with no fear. His friend however, smiled down softly at her, looking all polite and kind. “I am detective Yoo Ah In, and this is my partner, Detective Ahn Jae Hyeon.” They flashed their badges to her.

 

Chaerin quirked a brow. “Detective? Why did they ask cops to fetch me?”

 

“That’s going to be explained by the Chief later, now if you’re ready to go?”

 

“Hold on, where are we going?”

“National Police Agency HQ, ma’am,” Det. Yoo answered, seemed like he do most of the talking.

 

“Gentlemen, I think there’s a misunderstanding here, I’m going to have a meeting with the Korean Intelligent, and I’m not going anywhere but there.”

 

“I’m sorry, Miss Lee, but there’s a changing plan,” Det. Ahn anxiously explained.

 

“Without informing me first?”

 

“That’s not our place to tell you, the Chief will explain later.”

 

“Then I’m not going,” Chaerin stubbornly said, crossing her legs and ignored the cops.

 

“Ms. Lee, I don’t think you want to argue with us about this,” Det. Yoo told her, his voice laced with a slight warning.

 

“Ah, this is exactly why I never took a job from my own people,” she muttered lowly. So demanding, unprofessional. “Look, I’m here because they offer me a job, and I wouldn’t tolerate if they’re going to toss me around and send me to another place without informing me first, I’m here to work professionally, not to be tossing around.”

 

“There’s an urgent matter that need to be tending in Police Agency, and we need your help, Ma’am.”

 

“Ah, now that some information. What matter does more urgent than national security, det. Ahn?”

 

“The Chief will—“

 

“Nah, I don’t like the answer. I want something, before I decide to go with you or not.”

 

“We need you for a case,” Det. Ahn finally gave in.

 

“What case?”

 

Hesitation.

 

“The proposer,” Dec. Yoo told her with a stoic face.

 

Love, ring, interesting.

 

“Now, you got your answer, I hope you will follow us willingly, or we’re going to be sorry,” det. Yoo added, his tone gave no room for arguing.

 

Chaerin smirked. Just like she was expected, Dec. Yoo was stubborn and hard to corporate with, while Dec. Ahn was rather soft.

 

Just when Chaerin was about to stand, a man anxiously stopped in front of them and looked around frantically. Chaerin unconsciously glanced at his ring finger. Simple white band.

 

Her flight is left already,” she said suddenly, startling the three men. “She went to Singapore.”

 

“Wh- what? How do you know, are you her friend?” the anxious man asked.

 

“No,I’m not. Is there any place she probably goes to in Singapore?”

 

“Yeah, that’s where his brother lives.”

 

“You should go to her then,” she said calmly, standing up and letting Det. Ahn grabbing her luggage.

 

“But-“

 

“She still loves you, you know, and I think you do to. Isn’t that how it supposes to work? With love?”  

 

The man nodded briefly.

 

“Good luck.” With that, she turned to the cops. “Lead the way, gentlemen.”

 

 

Kris Wu shook hands with a good looking man in front of him. “My name is Det. Song Jae Rim, welcome to South Korea, Det. Wu,” the man said with a broken mandarin.

 

“I can totally speak Korean, if you’re more comfortable speaking in Korean,” Kris offered.

 

“Of course I’m more comfortable,” Det. Song chuckled. “They told me you speak Korean, but I’m not sure before,” he said again. Despite his scary expression, he actually pretty friendly, just like me, Kris thought.

 

“Do you involve in working on the case, detective?” Kris asked as Det. Song led the way to the parking lot.

 

“No, I work in HQ, the case was worked in one of our precincts in Seoul but National Agency took over the case now. You’ll be working in a team composed of our best people, I hope you’ll be happy to work with us, Det. Wu.”

 

“Thank you. You’ll be on the team?”

 

“No,” he lightly shook his head. “I have my own responsibility, I doubt we will meet again after this,” a chuckle.

 

“Ah, such a shame, I have a feeling that we can be good friends.”

 

Another chuckled. “I have the same feeling too. Remind me to buy you the best Korean soju when the case is solved.”

 

“Deal.”

“That’s my car,” Det. Song pointed at a white Hyundai. He took Kris luggage then put it in the trunk. Kris entered the car once the same time the owner did. Det. Song reached for the back seat and handed a brown file folder to Kris. “That’s the file case, contain all information we got from the case, you can read hangul, right?”

 

“Yeah,” Kris nodded. Eyes scanning the words written on the file. There’s not much information can be read. Same old boring stuff Kris got before he was in Seoul. The file reported mostly about the victims. 9 young innocent girls, around 18-23, dead in 2 years. All shared something in common, long dark hair, fairy white skin. Cause of death was all the same, strangled to death with robe, with the hint of chloroform in their blood, leading to a conclusion that the girls were unconscious when the proposer killed them.

 

Kris glanced at the 7th victim’s picture, Han Wan-li, the reason he was there. Wan-li was the only non Korean victim of the Proposer. 19 year old exchange student from Beijing. A bright, kind girl, according to family and friends.

 

“The last victim, she’s made it alive, right?” Kris turned his head to det. Song, as the latter drive smoothly through the busy street of Seoul.

 

“Yeah, thankfully. But if you ask me, I know nothing about her, none of us do, that will be explaining later in the briefing.”

 

Kris nodded his head, looking at the file again. But he didn’t read it this time, only stared at it blankly. His brain was processing all the information. How did the last girl survive? What happen back then? Why long hair and white skin?

 

“Do we have a profiler on the team?”

 

“Yes, she is a former FBI profiler, a consultant, not an agent though.”

 

Kris’ heart thug at the mere information. It can’t be.

 

“Det. Wu, we’re here. Just leave your luggage with me, I’ll take it to the assign apartment you’ll be living, is that okay with you?”

 

“Yeah, sure. Thank you.” Kris got out from the car and scanned the building. Det. Song gestured him to come inside.

 

“Someone will take you to the apartment later and hand you the key. Now, I’ll take you to the chief’s room first, he’s expecting you.”

 

They entered an empty elevator and Det. Song pressed 14. The elevator was glass through so Kris could see floor below him as the elevator went up. The building was marvelous, Kris admitted, and everybody seemed busy.

 

When the elevator reached the 14th floor, they made a turn to the left and stopped in front of mahogany door.

 

“Well, det. Wu, my duty is done now, so see you around,” he offered his hand for a hand shake.

 

Kris took the hand and shook it firmly. “Thank you, det. Song, I hope we will meet again.”

 

Det. Song nodded with a smiling face and opened the mahogany door for him. He stuck out his head inside and said to the woman inside, “Jimin, det. Wu is here.” He then gestured Kris to enter the room. Kris nodded and stepped in.

 

He saw a petite woman sat at the table in front of another mahogany door. “Welcome to Korea National Police Agency, Det. Wu. I’ll let the chief know that you’re here, please take a seat,” she pointed at a chair on the corner of the room and Kris obediently sat there.

 

The lady then knocked on the mahogany door beside her desk and opened the door. Kris could hear the lady announcing his arrival and heard the low grunt in replied. The lady turned to Kris, “please come in, Det. Wu.”

 

Chief Lee looked like a kind old man with fatherly smile from the outside. But when Kris shook his hand, he immediately knew that the man was strict and could be as hard as steel if needed.

 

“Welcome, Det. Wu,” the old man said warmly.

 

“Thanks, Chief Lee, and I’m sorry if my arrival interrupted the flow of your team, but it’s my job to make sure that every Chinese citizen gets the equal services when it comes to solving crime, so I hope we can work together.”

 

“Of course, of course, detective, we’re more than happy to have more helping hands.”

 

Lies, but Kris smiled anyway.

 

 

Kang Seokjin read the team profiles again and again. the first page was attached with a cold looking young man with eyes piercing to the camera, with his profile written on bold letter beneath. He remembered the conversation with Chief Lee earlier.

 

“What do you think of your team member, Det. Kang?”

 

“Remarkable, I admit.”

 

“I sense there’s but in your tone.”

 

Seokjin sighed. “But, these people are text book.”

 

“Meaning?”

 

“Meaning, they are too perfect, I don’t think I can work with them. I need a real cop, a natural one.”

 

“I admit that there are only two cops in the team, but they are best of the best. Det. Jung Taekwon is the son of one and only late Det. Jung Taesung, I believe that he is a natural police. And Det. Wu is the best young detective in China.”

“Yeah, both are the same, too smart, good at shooting, black belt in self defense, they are too perfect, too logic, I need someone who have gut, who can act under pressure.”

 

The chief nodded in understanding.

 

“The Chinese boy speaks 5 language, what am I suppose to do with someone that smart, and that Jung kid has IQ of 135? He’ll think that I’m retard, Chief.”

 

The chief laughed. “he won’t, det. Kang, I specifically asked you to lead this team because I know how impressive your works are, you are the natural cop, and I provide you with the best we have to solve this case.”

 

“Thank you, chief.”

 

“But, if you really need a natural cop as you claim, we’ll find someone for you.”

 

Seokjin beamed. “Actually, I already have someone in mind.”

 

Chief Lee quirked a brow, gesturing him to continue.

 

“Can I have det. Yoon Doojon, from DSU in precinct 517?”

 

“DSU?” The chief judged. “I don’t think he can fit the job.”

 

“I know, but, we could use him, the proposer use chloroform and he probably could dig some information about that. Beside, all of our team members are typical rich Gangnam kid, det. Yoon however, raised in the street and he knows every corner of Seoul like the back of his hands, even the darkest place. The Proposer victims are for all over the place, we need someone who knows Seoul just like he does, or even better. I think, Det. Yoon is the balance, for these super cops members.”

 

The chief nodded and smiled in satisfaction. “Okay, I’ll send someone to talk to his captain, he’ll be here this evening.”

Seokjin snapped from his dash when his partner walked inside with two other detective trailing behind him. “How is she?” he asked immediately.

 

“Hard to work with, cocky, snarky, everything annoying,” Det. Yoo Ah In groaned.

 

His partner, on the other hand, chuckled. “I don’t think she’s that bad tho, but I admit that she’s kinda scary, she seems to know everything even before you tell her.”

 

Yongmin laughed softly. “Totally a shrink.”

 

“Yes, I don’t think adding a shrink to the team will be much of the help, though, but looking at how highly the chief talked about her, I guess we can’t say anything about it,” Seokmin shrugged.

 

 “Hyung, she is a former FBI profiler, and we can’t have a better profiler than her in this country,” det. Ahn protested.

 

“What we need, is someone who can find a solid proof not some paranormal activity.”

 

Seokmin rubbed his temple, he didn’t feel good about this team, they gathered all nerds from across the country and expected them to solve the hardest case in Korean history. A cold genious cop, nerdy medical examiner girl, a rude shrink, a Chinese boy, and his only hope Yoon Doojon, how could he survive this case with those kids?

...

How long is it? I'm sorry for those who wait.

This chapter is a mess, i wanted to edit it first, but i'm too tired writing all this, so i just post it because i feel bad for abondoning this story for too long, i'll probably edit it tomorrow.

the remaining  team members will be appeared in the next chapter, along with their first briefing, also the reason why the murdered is called the Proposer (hopefully it'll be done tomorrow)

applause for special appearance of three hot actors, Yoo Ah In, Ahn Jae Hyun, and Song Jae Rim.

Also, thank you so much for those who read, subcribe, comment, and upvote this story, thank you.