Chapter 1 {C}

The Bad Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"C-Cleo? Where are you?" My little sister Melanie came running in my room. Her eyes were red and tears were running down her face. I took my headphones off and asked her what was wrong. She jumped up on the bed and sat next to me. "M-mommy and Richard are f-fighting."

 I wrapped my arms around her and tried to calm her down. "What is he doing?"

"He was yelling at her because she forgot to cook dinner, and he h-hit her, and then he left!"  She looked up at me, her eyes connecting with mine. "I'm scared Cleo. I miss Daddy."

I wiped her tears way with my thumb. "I do too, Mel. I do too."

About 20 minutes later, she was in a light sleep. I tucked her under the covers. I made sure not I didn't disturb her as I got up and walked out of the room, quietly closing the door behind me. 

I saw my mother on the living-room floor crying. Since Richard stormed out of the house, I knew I had nothing to worry about. Once she heard my feet, she stood up and tried to make it seem like she wasn't crying. "C-Cleo? G-Go back inside your r-room.." her voice was hoarse and she honestly looked terrible. Her makeup was smeared and her normally bright hazel eyes were now a dull brown. 

"She doesn't need to be around this," I said calmly. "She's only 5. She doesn't need to see this kind of stuff."

"It's my fault. I should have made dinner on time. He had a bad day at work." 

"That's such a lame excuse. Why do you always defend him!" I ran my fingers through by hair. My mother always frustrated me.  She's been married to Richard for a year, and right after they were married, he changed (her words, not mine). But this was the first time he ever hit her. I could see a bruise forming on her cheek.

"I knew you wouldn't understand, you've hated him from the start. You're too young to understand what love is." It was true, I did hate Richard, but only because he is half the reason my father died, and yet my mother married him. Why would I like him? He tries to dictate me and tries to act like he's my father, which he most definitely isn't.

He's a bully, and he's childish as hell. He wants what he wants when he wants it and doesn't care about how everyone else feels. And I vowed that once I turn 18, I'm taking Mel and I'm leaving. 

"You know why I hate him, and that's never going to change." I spat. "You betrayed my father and then you betrayed Mel and me by marrying him. And if that is what love is like, I'd definitely take my chances and live alone for the rest of my life."

Honestly, I preferred my life when my father was alive. he was the best father that anyone could have. He was loving, caring, and hardworking. He was a boxing coach at our local gym, and he taught me how to box as a way to protect myself. He taught me to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter