Curious

Mirror, Mirror
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nichkhun was told not to go into the attic, but of course, what curious twelve-year old boy would listen?  So he slowly creeped up the stairs in his grandmother’s house while his mother stayed in the living room catching up on the latest family gossip. Quietly and on tiptoes he inched his way up the three flights of stairs until he came across the door leading into that upstairs room. Nichkhun pushed it open and held his breath as the hinges squeaked in protest at the abnormality of its usage. He quickly stepped inside and shut the door. As soon as his eyes adjusted to the dim light he was able to look around. 

Light filtered from the windows above, illuminating the piles of boxes and old furniture littering the entire top floor. A few pieces were covered with blankets that used to be white but were now yellow with age. The smell of mothballs and dust permeated the air which brought on a few sneezes from Nichkhun. He walked around discovering with curiousity the veritable treasure trove he discovered. A rocking horse and old dollhouse stood abandoned in the corner right next to an old 1960's TV. Nichkhun walked towards it, wanting to figure out the old knobs and rabbit-ears looking antennae. 

Suddenly, he heard a noise, a whisper of some sort. Nichkhun looked around but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Coughing it up to his imagination, he went back to discovering his surroundings and found an old box of toy soldiers and cars hidden behind the TV. The next few boxes he uncovered revealed old comic books, photo albums, and clothes. Nichkhun didn't understand why his grandmother would forbid him from going up to the attic; it was just full of a bunch of old stuff. With that mindset he took the box of comic books and looked for a place to sit. He walked over to the couch resting against a wall. Nichkhun plopp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter