April

From Beginning to End

April 9th 2020

 

The fourth time they meet, it’s in celebration.

 

He spends the days after their photoshoot in a panic, furiously editing the photos and sending them to Baekhyun in real time to ensure he had the boy’s consent to submit them. He manages to scrape together a portfolio from his collection of photos, just barely turning in the project on time.

 

His mark for the project returns in a matter of weeks, the giant seated in bed with his laptop before him. He tried to blink the sleep out of his eyes as he found the results of his efforts, pleased to see lines of praise from his professor following one of the best grades he had received the whole semester.

 

He smiles as he reviews the photos he submitted, taking time to appreciate his work, as well as the work of the boy in the photos. His gaze flickers to his phone for a moment, fingers itching to reach out to it and contact Baekhyun, but he finds himself releasing a sigh, closing his laptop screen before walking into the bathroom.

 

Chanyeol raked a hand through his unruly locks, turning on the faucet to get himself ready for the day. He glanced at his phone absentmindedly as he brushed his teeth, wondering if he should tell Baekhyun about it. He picked up the device, fiddling with it in his hand, finger hovering over the call button before putting the phone down again, too afraid to make the call.

 

It takes him almost half an hour of contemplating in between getting ready that he finally finds the nerve to call Baekhyun, sitting with steepled fingers pressed up to his face as his phone sat on his table on speakerphone.

 

A part of him wanted to hang up, already regretting his choices, but at that moment, the rings stop and are replaced with Baekhyun’s soft voice.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Baekhyun, hi.”

 

“What’s up?”

 

“I… uh… I got my project back. The one you modeled for.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“Yeah… I got a really good mark on it. Probably the best so far this year.”

 

Baekhyun let out a soft laugh. “I’m glad to hear that.”

 

“Thanks again for helping. I really do appreciate it.”

 

“It’s no problem. I’m just happy to hear you did well.”

 

Chanyeol smiled.

 

“So, is that all, or—“

 

“Oh, I uh… Well, I promised you a meal for your efforts. So, I was just wondering if you would be free today to do that.”

 

“Ah… I’d be willing, but I’m actually putting together my final project.”

 

“Oh…”

 

“But, if you don’t mind waiting, I’m just putting the finishing touches on it. We can meet for dinner?”

 

“Yeah, that’s totally fine. Where are you now? I can meet you.”

 

“I’ve been in the library for hours now, and I don’t want to be out any longer. Is there anywhere close to home that we can go to?”

 

Chanyeol hummed. “Well, if you’d like, we can head over to my place? Maybe order some food and stay in for the night?”

 

“Wow. We haven’t even gone on a single date, yet you’re already inviting me into your home? Scandalous, scandalous, Park.”

 

Chanyeol let out a good-natured laugh. “So, can I take that as a yes?”

 

“Count me in.”

 

~~~~~

 

Baekhyun estimates his assignment will be finished in less than two hours, giving Chanyeol time to try to make his apartment look like less of a mess. It’s somewhere in between the second and third trash bag he had managed to fill to the top that he wonders where he went wrong. He could’ve sworn his apartment hadn’t been this messy a few weeks ago.

 

The sun was already starting to set by the time Chanyeol left his apartment, slinging a bag over his shoulder as he waited for the elevator to arrive, thumbing at his phone silently as the doors slid open.

 

Park Chanyeol
hey
i’m heading out now

 

Byun Baekhyun
great timing
i just finished
where do you want to meet?

 

Park Chanyeol
hmm
depends on dinner i guess
how do you feel about chicken?

 

Byun Baekhyun
god
yes
please

 

Park Chanyeol
lol alright
i’ll head over to a restaurant nearby
meet by the convenience store?

 

Byun Baekhyun
alright see u soon

 

Chanyeol smiled while pocketing his phone, already arrived at the ground floor. Despite spring being near, the weather had still yet to warm, leaving the giant still bundled up on his way out of his building. He pulled his jacket closed around his body, arms crossed as he took quick steps down the road, not wanting to take too long to get to the store.

 

He orders quickly, realizing belatedly that he had forgotten to ask what exactly Baekhyun had wanted, leaving him to make a few educated guesses in his order.

 

Nevertheless, he leaves the restaurant within the hour, hugging a box of fried chicken to his chest as he made his way to the convenience store, sighing contentedly at the warmth. Though the walk to the store isn’t far, he finds Baekhyun already waiting outside the doors for him, giving him a smile and closing the distance.

 

“Were you waiting long?” Chanyeol asked, walking them back to his apartment. Baekhyun shook his head.

 

“It’s only been about ten minutes. Gave me time to buy us some drinks.”

 

“Nice. How’d the project go?”

 

“It’s over, which is really the most important thing here.”

 

Chanyeol hummed in agreement, holding the box a little closer to his chest. They make it to his building in a matter of moments, riding the elevator up to the giant’s floor, Baekhyun waiting patiently as Chanyeol fumbled for his keys.

 

“Exam season hasn’t even started yet and you’re already struggling with basic tasks. How are you gonna survive, Park?” Baekhyun asked with a laugh as Chanyeol finally pulled the keys out of his pocket, unlocking the door with a huff.

 

“Just get in before I change my mind and clear this box on my own.”

 

Baekhyun laughed, but walked through the door anyways. “You can kick me out if you want, you’ll still owe me a meal.”

 

“You got me there,” Chanyeol said, slipping off his shoes and using his free hand to lock the door behind him.

 

Baekhyun had already taken a few steps down the short corridor, head turning around with each step further into the apartment. He let out a low whistle as he entered the main area, eyes going from the kitchen to the living room, and finally to the dining table that separated the two. He put down his bag, pulling out bottle after bottle of alcohol, Chanyeol giving him a wary look as he put the chicken down as well.

 

“Don’t give me that look, Park. I just handed in my final project and my first final is in less than two weeks. Sober is the last thing I want to be right now.”

 

The giant gives him a nod before pulling a bottle opener out from a drawer, throwing it to Baekhyun who promptly opens two bottles of beer for the pair. Chanyeol smiles, grabbing his T.V. remote as Baekhyun opened the box of chicken, seated patiently as Chanyeol surfed through the channels for something mildly interesting to play in the background.

 

He settled on a channel playing some foreign movie he couldn’t quite place, tossing the remote onto one of the cushioned dining chairs before taking a seat himself, gesturing for Baekhyun to take the first piece.

 

Chanyeol takes a swig of his drink before diving in himself, not realizing how hungry he had been after barely eating the whole day. It isn’t long before the two are slowing down, half the box cleared and their minds a little fuzzier than they had been a bit before.

 

“It’s kinda weird,” Baekhyun begins, inspecting one of the bones in his hand. “We don’t really see each other that often but I feel really comfortable around you.”

 

Chanyeol smiled, feeling a warmth bubbling in his stomach.

 

“I’m really comfortable around you too.”

 

 “You’re really easy to talk to. It makes me feel like I’ve known you forever even though I barely know anything about you,” Baekhyun said with a laugh.

 

“Now that you mention it, yeah. We don’t really know too much about each other.”

 

Baekhyun took a leisurely sip of his drink, gesturing to Chanyeol. “Ask away if you’re curious. I’m an open book.”

 

“Do you have a favourite colour?”

 

The small boy scoffed.

 

“Is that a no?”

 

“No, my favourite colour is red, I just wasn’t expecting that kind of a question.”

 

“’That kind of question’?”

 

“You know, like the kind of question toddlers ask when they first make friends.”

 

“Wow, okay. Then show me how it’s done, Byun.”

 

Baekhyun hummed, swirling the liquid inside of the bottle as he leaned back. “What was the last thing you Googled?”

 

“This is your standard for a better question?”

 

“It’s better than asking for a favourite colour, Park. So what is it?”

 

Chanyeol gave him a look, but pulled out his phone anyways to open his browser. “It’s uh… Not important.”

 

“Come on, Park. I answered your colour question! There’s no shame here.”

 

“I… It’s Peppa Pig.”

 

Baekhyun sputtered, sitting up straight with a laugh. “What? Why?”

 

“I have my reasons, okay? You can’t possibly tell me that your search history is any better.”

 

A smile played on Baekhyun’s lips as he pulled out his own phone, taking a look before presenting his screen. “Read it and weep, Peppa Pig.”

 

The giant narrowed his eyes. “You can’t shame me for googling that when your last search term was ‘how much do baby cows sell on the black market’.”

 

“It was for a journalism piece, alright?”

 

“What kind of—“

 

“Moving on.”

 

The pair talk into the night, barely noticing as the time ticked away, clearing cans of beer as they laughed together, talking about everything and nothing at the same time. By the time either of them check the clock, it’s well past midnight. Chanyeol offers his couch for the smaller boy, but Baekhyun politely declines. At the very least, the giant insists on walking the smaller boy to the convenience store, watching the small boy wave goodbye before disappearing into the distance.

 

Chanyeol smiled as he waved back, the cold of the night almost unnoticeable with the warmth pooling in his stomach as he made his way back home.