- final -

Coffee on New Years' Eve
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I threw a rag on top of the counter after drying my hands. I turned my head to the right to take a look at the current time. 10:56 pm. I heaved a sigh and ran my hands through my hair in exhaustion. Walking out of the kitchen, I grabbed my tote bag before clocking out. Suddenly, my manager stopped me and gave a sympathetic smile. "Sorry, Naerim, but you have one last customer.” 

 

My eyes widened. "But it's New Years' Eve! And closing time is in 4 minutes.”

 

"I know, I know. But just this once. I'll give you a week off if you stay for this last customer.” I scoffed in disbelief, crossing my arms over my chest. 

 

”Please.” 

 

Rolling my eyes, I set my bag back down and clocked back in. "Fine. But 2 weeks off and a raise.” 

 

"Thank you," she patted my back and ran off to seat the last customer. Seriously, who comes 4 minutes before closing time? Tying back on my uniform, I grabbed a notepad and a pen before heading over to the table. 

 

"Hi, welcome to Ahjummeoni's Café of Delights! May I take your order?" I tried my best to sound at least interested, the corners of my lips twitching downwards as my vision met the person's profile. He had a pair of sunglasses on and a hat, and I inwardly rolled my eyes. Who does this guy think he is? A celebrity? He was accompanied with one other person, who didn't look as mysterious and had really nice lavender colored hair. 

 

The latter, the one without the sunglasses, smiled and greeted me. "We'll take 2 regular coffees and 2 blueberry scones.”

 

Quickly scribbling down their order, I turned to Sunglasses. “Coffee on New Years’ Eve? Eh~ Do you want me to add in one shot?” I joked, nudging his arm playfully.

He remained silent and the latter across from him chuckled and replied. What? Too special to say anything to a mere waitress? 

 

“As tempting as it sounds, no, thank you, we’re fine.”

 

With a quick smile, I nodded and left. I tore the slip and and clipped it to the stand, before brewing the coffee. Pulling to scones from the refrigerator, I placed them in the toaster and set it for a minute. Leaning against the counter, I glanced at the clock on the wall. 11:04 pm. Sighing, I rubbed my eyes, attempting to lessen the sleepiness in them.

 

This is going to take forever.

 

I peered over to the 2 customers, talking comfortably in their booth. My eyes stilled on Sunglasses. Who does he think he is, barging into a coffee shop at 11 at night? Particularly this one?  Hearing the clicking of the coffee machine, I snapped out of my mini self-rant, I grabbed cups and carefully poured coffee into them. The calming coffee aroma filled the cafe once again, relieving my fatigue, but only the slightest. Placing their orders on the tray, I stepped over to their table. 

 

"2 regular coffees and 2 blueberry scones," I said, repeating their order as I set them on the tabletop. Sunglasses gave me the slightest of nods while Nice Guy thanked me verbally. Nothing? Boy are you getting on my nerves.

 

Smiling a fake one once more, I retreated back to the kitchen. Slumping back onto the stool, I silently groaned, the drowsiness retaking over my body. I leaned my head against the wall, closing my eyes for what felt like 5 minutes. 

 

 

———

 

 

Slightly jolting up, I opened my eyes. I peaked around at my surroundings, finding myself still at the cafe. Subconsciously, my eyes wandered over to the clock for the nth time that night. 11:38 pm. I shot up from my chair and hurriedly grabbed my bag. 

 

"Naerim-ah, where are you going?" My manager quietly hissed. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter