next door neighbors and a series of awkward encounters

#friendship goals

 

 

 

2

next door neighbors (and a series of awkward encounters)
 

 
alright, yoongi's opinion of seulgi does improve quite drastically after the pun masters incident, but the fact that she's his new neighbor doesn't really help anything.
 
 
after the school day ends, he heads straight to home, brushing off his friends' begs for him to accompany them to a basketball game. the boy does love basketball, and he surely is talented; but today just isn't the day. he feels tired and sluggish - and basketball doesn't exactly tolerate players who are. plus, with the murderous workload his ap biology teacher has given him, letting off steam is not an option.
 
 
as soon as he arrives upon the lobby of his apartment building, yoongi punches in the entry password, the usual routine. when stepping into the lobby, though, he sees a familiar figure standing in front of the elevator - someone who he can't quite place his finger on. but it's clear as day who she is when she glances to her right, and their eyes meet.
 
 
kang seulgi?
 
 
 
okay, yoongi definitely does not like this minor revelation, and the incomprehensible dread that is beginning to formulate internally. however, he attempts to assuage himself. calm down, min yoongi. she's only living in the same apartment. your private life will not be dissected by this girl.
 
 
"hey. i didn't know you lived here."
 
yoongi's head snaps up as she speaks. "er, me?" he instantly regrets saying it.
 
seulgi snorts. "no, i was talking to the bamboo tree over there. of course it's you."
 
"we have a bamboo tree in the lobby?" the boy inquires sceptically. and indeed they do - a rather tall one that towers over their height, placed beside the apartment watchman's work desk.
 
"well, it's not a giant green twizzler, is it? funny how you've never seen it. and i've only moved in yesterday."
 
"how does it even look like a twizzler-"
 
"exactly."
 
 
the elevator dings, signaling its arrival. when the doors open, the two step in without a word.
 
 
it's okay, yoongi convinces himself, unconsciously pressing his floor button. what are the odds that she'll be living on the same floor as m-
 
his eyes narrow as his hand freezes mid-push. the button for the seventeenth floor is already emitting its familiar red glow.
 
he slowly turns around and faces the girl, who mirrors his astonished expression. their eyes meet only briefly, because both instantly look away out of disbelief and the simple weirdness of the situation. by this part, the boy would like to add that he and seulgi are the only ones in the elevator, and that a sixteen - floor ride is long and very, very awkward. yoongi suddenly wishes he'd just taken the stairs. anything is better than this disturbing tranquility.
 
 
after what seems like an hour to them both, the elevator door finally opens once more. yoongi walks out quickly, and he can hear seulgi's footsteps shuffle out of the elevator as well. he quickens his pace to the right, and soon he's standing in front of his own apartment door.
 
please tell me she lives in the left division of the apartment thanks-
 
the boy searches his pockets and finds his apartment key card. he takes in a deep breath, and veers his gaze to his left.
 
okay, jesus, what are the odds of her being my next door ne-
 
his jaw drops as he sees her holding her apartment card, standing in front of the door right beside his own. is slightly ajar as well, as her eyes flicker to her house door, then his door, and to him. an awfully uncomfortable silence ensues as each avoids looking at the other.
 
kill me now, he pleads.
 
they peer at each other furtively, and flinch when they make eye contact. turning away, they place their card in the scanning area at the same time; the satisfying beep and click of the door opening echoes simultaneously for both doors.
 
 
it takes a few second for them to process this though - and when they finally do, a single expletive is pronounced in yoongi's head: .
 
 
without meeting eachother's heads, they mumble, "bye." and shut their doors behind them as quickly as they can.
 
 
things have never been so awkward, yoongi thinks.
 
 
 
 

-

 
 
 
 
having your classmate as your next door neighbor is not fun, and by not fun, yoongi means not fun.
 
 
he's not one to be up at night doing weird things(unlike namjoon, who practically lives on the material), but having the knowledge of someone who you'll see everyday in school possibly being able to hear everything you do(the walls are very thin) and scream is kind of, no, incredibly uncomfortable to him. his previous neighbor moved out two years ago, so yoongi's accustomed to not caring about neighbors, in the detached sense.
 
 
and now he's conscious of everything he's doing(and shouting). not good. not good.
 
 
 
 

-

 
 
 
the next day, yoongi wakes up on five a.m. due to the untimely malfunction of his alarm clock. he groans and dives back in bed, but it's too late - he's already awake.
 
cursing under his breath, he stumbles into the bathroom and begins his morning routine. he's as tired and lazy as he could be in the early day, but he manages to do the basics - showering and eating breakfast, though the latter is rather questionable.
 
 
once his shower is done, he then remembers the clothes he hung on the balcony- and the fact that he forgot to close the outer door.
 
yoongi quickly throws on a white tee and some shorts, then dashes to the balcony to gather them, alarmed of the fate brought upon his clothes. and when he sees nothing hanging on his balcony, he's filled with dread.
 
he instantly rushes to the edge to look down, and there they are - his clothes, lying on the street far below, on the concrete boardwalk and some of the bushes. it's too far to make out all of them, but he can see a lot more than he thought - his shirts, his pants, and his -
 
 
holy ing .
 
 
without a second of hesitation, yoongi instantly slips into a random pair of shoes. slamming the door behind him, he takes the stairs beside the elevator(it's at the lobby, he can't wait that long). his steps are fast and anxious, and by the time he arrives to the ground floor, he's out of breath.
 
the boy pants as he opens the lobby door; he's relieved to find no one walking in the streets. there isn't a single moment to spare though, soon there might be people everywhere.
 
 
he frantically picks up all of his clothes, his heart pounding with the terror of someone discovering him picking up his garbs on the roads, at five thirty in the morning. thankfully, his garments aren't spread out widely. he gleefully gathers what he thinks is his final piece of clothing, and halts upon seeing another vast pile of clothes on the other side of the street.
 
that's strange, he thinks. i didn't know i hung this much yesterday-
 
he spots one of his underthings hanging on a small tree though, and reaches towards it. as he gets ahold of the piece, he notices another figure near the tree. his body goes rigid as the figure turns around.
 
 
it's her. kang seulgi, picking up her own clothes - and intimate things.
 
 
 
a painful silence follows, as their eyes flicker to anything but each other. yoongi realizes this is the reason why there were so many clothes when he'd stared down from above. then he realizes he's holding his red-striped undergarment in his left hand plainly in view. he makes a funny noise that sounds similar to an ostrich being trampled by an elephant, and quickly shoves it in the pile of clothes in his arms.
 
 
after a few more seconds of awkward quietude, they concurrently mumble "uh sorry hi" and quickly rush back into the apartment; seulgi takes the elevator, and yoongi the stairs.
 
 
 
but from then on, kang seulgi becomes his best friend. there are some things you can't share without ending up liking eachother, and witnessing each other's underwear is one of them.
 
 
 
 
 
____________
 
 

 
a/n: LMAO WHAT IS THIS ENDING I THINK IM HIGH 
sorry for the late update btw, i'm having serious writer's block rn and i apologize if this chapter didn't meet up to your expectations ;;; and apologies for the tense change (writing in past tense is really awkward for me now wtf)
THIS IS NOT THE ENDING btw 
p.s. did anyone get that reference xoxo
 
lowkey worries if the ending is too weird i thought it was funny--