it all started with pun masters

#friendship goals

 

 

 

1

it all started with pun masters
 
 
yoongi can't really pinpoint the moment when he and seulgi officially became the best of friends; there were just too many complicated moments of friendship and awkwardness between them at first. however, he can surely say it all stemmed from the day she transferred to his school in the approaching summer of tenth grade.
 
 
it was a normal day as always in daegu sunhwa high school. the class was buzzing with liveliness; hoseok and sehun's not-so-surprising antics were as present as ever, daehyun was practicing(more like screwing around making gorilla noises, honestly) for his school festival vocal performance with eunji, and taemin and hongbin were begging all of them to shut the hell up. yoongi was the invisible bystander who was playing pun masters on his phone and judging the hell out of them. he always was.
 
the ordinary routine was scattered when their homeroom teacher, mr. kris wu, strolled in with a girl. 
 
yoongi found himself paying attention to her, even before mr. wu called for attention. she was pretty, and her good proportions made her look like a model in the school uniform, despite the fashion horror that everyone in the school considered it to be. but it wasn't really her looks that captivated him- it was her aura. the boy wasn't sure if it was a good vibe he felt from her. in fact, for some strange reason, he could smell mischief already.
 
(she hadn't even spoken yet, though, and if you asked anyone else, 'troublesome' would have been the last adjective to describe her; she really looked like a teddy bear. still, he made a mental note to avoid her. his instincts usually did him good.) 
 
"class, this is our new student kang seulgi. seulgi, would you introduce yourself?"
 
the girl hesitated for a moment, then smiled brightly. "hey, the name's seulgi, i'm from seoul. it's a pleasure."
 
yeah, yoongi thought, as he clapped absentmindedly along with the others. he barely registered her name. avoid her, definitely. that shouldn't be too hard-
 
mr. wu glanced at him. "well, seulgi, since the only empty seat is next to yoongi, you'll have to sit there," he gestured to the boy. "the kid with the pale green hair," the teacher explained to her.
 
yoongi groaned inwardly as the girl approached the desk beside him. he could sense her curious gaze directed towards his peculiar hair color- after all, everyone did that. he paid no attention to her, continuing his pun masters game. he was stuck on the same pun for a week. god damn it, he was a step away from clearing level twenty five-
 
"whoa- is that pun masters?"
 
the boy glanced up and raised his eyebrows at her, surprised she knew the game. no one he knew of played it, except himself. "yeah, how'd you know?"
 
seulgi snorted. "why would i not? it's the best game on the app store, in my very unpopular opinion," she peered at yoongi's game screen. "that's 'anti-gravity', by the way."
 
"doubt it-" yoongi started to say as he dubiously typed it in. he froze as the game screen changed to a congratulations, you have now unlocked level 26!
 
"see, it makes sense. i'm reading a book about anti-gravity, it's impossible to put down."
 
the male's eyes widened as he registered the meaning. "what the heck," he shook his head in awe. "how-?"
 
"that's what a pun masters overdose does to you," seulgi replied solemnly. 
 
"what level are you on?" yoongi inquired with slight interest.
 
"well, what's the current highest available level?"
 
"fifty eight."
 
"that. i've cleared all the recent ones, so i'm running first place on the gameboard."
 
"wait," yoongi tapped his phone screen a few times, and scrolled up the gameboard in the game community. he saw the user ksg1111 proudly presented beside the golden trophy for first place. "this is you?"
 
"well, yeah."
 
"i've seen you up there from the day i started level one," yoongi marveled. "and that was literally a year ago."
 
"i've been playing it for two solid years."
 
 
that was enough for min yoongi to be convinced that like him, kang seulgi was the better minority of the world's entire population. it was also the first spark to the beginning of a truly spectacular camaraderie.
 
 
 
 
 
 
____________
 
 
 
a/n: it was originally going to be a oneshot but i decided to split it into small fragments! so, there's more to be updated. ;u;
pun masters is a fictional game btw lmao