push-and-pull

i'm waiting just for you

            Jeonghan doesn’t know why he decides to seek out Joshua, but he did, and so here he is.

            He’s sitting at his usual table, his hands clasped together in front of him. His lips are stretched into a wide smile as Joshua slowly sits in the seat opposite of him, looking tense. It makes Jeonghan laugh.

            “You okay there?”

            Joshua glances at him, setting his elbow on the table before shaking his head and laying his palms flat on the surface. “I’m fine, why do you ask?”       

            Jeonghan chuckles. “Because you look as if I’m about to kidnap you and hold you for ransom.” He brushes hair away from his face, smiling. “Calm down Joshua, I’m not intimidating at all.”

            Joshua mumbles something under his breath, but Jeonghan doesn’t quite manage to catch what he it is. Just as he’s about to ask, Joshua looks up at Jeonghan with a soft smile, his eyes crinkling.

            “Right,” he says, “I’m sorry. Are you sure you don’t want a coffee? It’s on the house.”

            Jeonghan blinks slowly, shaking his head. Was it just him, or does Joshua have a perfect smile? “Uh, yeah – I mean, no, I’m okay. Thanks though.” He frowns, glancing around the café. “Are you sure you won’t get in trouble?”

            Joshua rolls his eyes, shaking hair from his eyes. “Soonyoung won’t get me in trouble.” He lets out a small scoff, smiling. “If anything, I’m one of his best employees.”

            Jeonghan raises a brow. “Wow, praising yourself much?”

             “Well,” Joshua stretches, puffing his chest out, “when you’re as a amazing as me, it’s a given.”

             “Yah,” Jeonghan laughs, “you’re so conceited.” He finds himself leaning forward, inching his hands closer to Joshua’s, and then he reaches out, tapping the back of Joshua’s hand. Joshua stares wide-eyed at the place that Jeonghan has just tapped, and Jeonghan finds himself blushing, nervously reaching out to brush his hair away from his face.

             “So,” Joshua’s voice sounds tight for some reason that Jeonghan can’t decipher. Joshua glances at Jeonghan’s mark, his eyes sharp. Jeonghan has never been one to hide his tattoo, but seeing Joshua glance at it makes him uncomfortable, and so he finds himself tugging at his sleeve, pulling it over his palms.

             “So,” Jeonghan repeats.

            Joshua clears his throat. “So, how do you know Vernon?”

            The mention of the boy makes him smile, and he finds his body relaxing. “Ah, he’s always around with Chan. You remember Chan, right?” He frowns. “Did I introduce you two last night?”

            Joshua nods. “Yeah, I’ve seen him around before. He comes occasionally, when Vernon isn’t busy trying to flirt with Seungkwan.”

            Jeonghan smiles. “Well, I love Chan a lot, he’s like a little brother to me. They’re kind of a package deal, I guess. Get one and the other comes free.”

            Joshua hums. “You all seem very nice.”

             “Yeah well,” Jeonghan leans forward. “I guess we’re alright. I actually met Chan thanks to Jun. Chan works with Jun at his dance studio.”

             “Dance studio? He has a dance studio?”

             “Oh yeah, Jun is totally crazy about dancing. Both him and Minghao love dancing.”

             “So does Soonyoung.” Joshua rolls his eyes suddenly. “You know, whenever we have talent night here, Soonyoung always wants to dance but on one ever wants to do the choreography with him.”

            Jeonghan finds himself raising his brow. “Talent night? Why have I never heard of this?”

            Joshua frowns. “Yeah, talent night. You know, every two weeks on a Saturday, Soonyoung holds, like, a talent show. People sing, dance, put on shows, whatever.” He smiles. “It’s amazing.”

            “Have you ever gone up and done something?”

            Joshua flushes, looking down in embarrassment. It makes Jeonghan smile. “Um, I play the guitar and sing.” He’s shaking his head. “But it’s not a big deal, I’m not that great.”

             “Nonsense,” Jeonghan grins, “I’m sure you’re amazing. Hey, maybe one day you could show me.”

            Joshua looks at him with wide eyes. “Uh, yeah, sure.”

            “You know, I dabble in a little singing myself.” He raises his hands, putting a small distance between his thumb and forefinger. “Just a little. I’m nowhere near as good as Jihoon is.”

            But Joshua is shaking his head. “Now you have to let me hear you, come on.”

            Jeonghan flushes. “Yah, I’m not really that good.”

            And Joshua tilts his head, his eyes going wide and sparkly. His lips twitch into a smile. Jeonghan feels his heart beat fast in his chest when Joshua softly says, “Please?”

            Jeonghan blinks, and without meaning to, his lips drop open and he finds himself singing a snippet of a song. He’s blushing the whole time, and when he finishes, he lets out a small chuckle. When Joshua doesn’t say anything, he shakes his head. “See, I told you I’m not that good.”

            “No! No, that was… amazing. Honestly.”

            Jeonghan feels heat in his cheeks. “Yah, don’t say that.”

            Joshua eyes are wide. “No, but it’s true. You should sign up for the talent show.”

            And then Jeonghan is shaking his head, fighting back the heat in his cheeks, waving his hands frantically. Joshua is smiling softly, his own cheeks pink. “No, I don’t think I can,” Jeonghan denies, letting his hands fall on the table. His hands land right atop of Joshua’s and, okay, so maybe Jeonghan doesn’t move his hands, enjoying the warmth that spreads from the tips of his fingers to the rest of his body.

            Joshua, however, quickly snatches his hands away, laughing awkwardly as he ruffles his hair. “Well, you know, the offer is always there.”

            Jeonghan frowns at his hands for a moment. What was that tingle? The mark on his wrist starts burning, aching, a heavy weight landing on his chest, but he shakes his head, smiling up at Joshua. “Thank you.” The smile that Joshua gives him back makes his face flush, and he finds himself stuttering, “Um, can I get a coffee? I’m sorry, I got thirsty.”

            Joshua is quick to stand up, stumbling out of his chair. “Sure, let me go get that for you. You want anything else? A cake or something?”

            Jeonghan doesn’t know why he’s blushing as he shakes his head. “No, just the coffee will be fine.”

            Joshua is grumbling to himself as he comes back with two cups of coffee in his hand. Jeonghan reaches out to grab his own cup, smiling softly as he feels his fingers brush Joshua’s. Joshua smiles back at him, sitting back down. His lips curl around the lid, taking a sip. Jeonghan thinks its particularly fascinating how Joshua’s Adam’s apple bobs as he takes a sip.

            The collar of Joshua’s shirt has become askew as he takes a seat, and it reminds Jeonghan of the conversation he overheard the other day between Jihoon and Joshua. He knows it’s not any of his business, but still he finds himself asking, “So you and Jihoon, huh? Are you sure you’re not dating?”

            Joshua pauses with the drink half raised to his lips. He sighs slowly, his lips quirking up into a sad smile. “No, Jihoon is great but we’re… not meant for each other.”

            The way Joshua is staring at Jeonghan makes his palms sweat and his throat to become dry. He unconsciously grips the coffee cup tighter. “Oh?” he mumbles, not removing his eyes from Joshua’s. “That’s… too bad.”

            Joshua looks away first, clearing his throat. There’s a pink tinge to his cheeks and his face looks tight, his eyebrows drawn together, but then he’s glancing back at Jeonghan, his eyes sad. “Yeah, but I haven’t given up hope yet. I know one day I’ll meet someone who’s just perfect for me and we’ll make each other happy and it won’t hurt to look at them because I know that they love me too.”

            “Yeah,” Jeonghan finds himself agreeing, his throat tight. His mark itches – burns, actually – and he absentmindedly scratches at it.  “One day.”           

⚘❁⚘

            “So are any of us actually going to do anything today besides watch Joshua?”

            Nobody speaks.

            “Is that a no?”

            Seungkwan turns around, throwing Wonwoo a look. “Hyung,” he says drolly, “shut up.”

            “Hey,” Mingyu swats the back of Seungkwan’s head. “That’s my hyung, only I can be rude to him.”

            “Both of you shut up,” mumbles Soonyoung, his eyes not leaving Joshua and Jeonghan. “Oh!” He points at Jeonghan, who takes a quick glance at his watch before he stands up quickly, his eyes wide. “I think he’s leaving.”

            “No ,” mumbles Seungkwan. Both Seokmin and Soonyoung turn around to give him a dirty look and all Seungkwan does is flutter his lashes, smiling brightly as he coos, “Love you hyungs.”

            Soonyoung rolls his eyes, turning back to the small window. “Idiot.”

            Mingyu tugs at Soonyoung’s hair, grinning. “Wasn’t Seungkwan your favorite though?”

            Seungkwan looks startled, gasping as he puts his hands over his heart dramatically, his eyes wide. “I was your favorite?”

            “Not anymore, now it’s Wonwoo.” Soonyoung reaches out to pat Wonwoo’s head, causing the taller boy to crinkle his nose.

            “Finally Wonwoo is someone’s favorite.” Seokmin says. He’s leaning against Soonyoung, his arm draped over the older boy.

            Wonwoo frowns. “Okay, I do not need this negativity.”

            Mingyu grins, reaching out to pull Wonwoo to his side. His eyes are sparkling. “You’re my favorite.”

            He’s slightly tugging at the ends of Wonwoo’s hair, their faces close, and Wonwoo’s cheeks are faintly red. Wonwoo frowns slightly, eyeing MIngyu. “I’m your favorite what?”

            Mingyu drops his voice an octave, causing Wonwoo to hitch his breath. “You’re my favorite everything.”

            Seungkwan lets out a low groan. “Gross, can you not flirt in front of me?” He gestures to himself. “ ears need protection.”

            Mingyu grins, not releasing Wonwoo from his grip. “ ears? Please.”

            Seungkwan sticks his tongue out. “We can’t all be as flirty as you, hyung.”

            “Yah,” Mingyu taps Seungkwan’s forehead, “don’t be jealous, I can teach you my ways.”

            Seungkwan frowns, and slowly, so slowly, drops his gaze before bringing his eyes back up in that same agonizingly slow way. He raises a brow once he reaches Mingyu’s eyes. “No thanks.”

            “Hey, both of you calm down,” Soonyoung says as he pushes himself off the door. He lets out a deep sigh, looking over their small group. “Well, Jeonghan has left, so there goes my entertainment.”

            Seokmin grins, pulling Soonyoung to his side. His fingers dig into Soonyoung’s side, causing him to let out a breathy laugh. “I think I could find us some entertainment,” Seokmin says flirty.

            Seungkwan is pushing himself away from the door, opening his mouth as he makes gagging noises. “Yah, that’s my cue to leave.” He glances at the clock, smiling slyly. “Plus, my shift is over.” He unties the apron from his waist, throwing it on the counter. “Later.” But just as he steps away, he glances at the discarded apron before reaching out to fold it neatly.

            Seokmin is nibbling at Soonyoung’s jaw while Soonyoung speaks, “Bye Seungkwan, see you tomorrow.” The other boy raises his hands in a wave. Once he’s out of sight, Soonyoung sighs, reaching to put his hand under Seokmin’s chin, brining the boy’s face up.  “Babe? Do you maybe want to go home instead?”

            Seokmin grins, pecking his lips. “Yes please.”

            Soonyoung glances at Mingyu and Wonwoo, the former still having his arm around the older boy. He raises a brow. “Can you two handle it? Joshua is going to be leaving soon.” They all glance at Joshua, who is humming happily as he stands at the counter, drumming his fingers on the surface.

            Mingyu smiles. “Yes hyung.” He pulls Wonwoo closer. “We have this under control.”

⚘❁⚘

            As it turns out, they did not have it under control. A couple of seconds after Soonyoung and Seokmin left, Joshua distractedly left as well, a happy smile on his face. Things were calm for, oh, about three seconds before all hell broke loose.

            “Mingyu-ah! Oppa!”

            “Mingyu-ah! Come take my order!”

            “Oppa, oppa, stop ignoring me!”

            “Mingyu-ah, did you get my text?”

            “Oppa, I heard you were dating someone… is it true?”

            Mingyu grins at the girl who asks that, setting his palms flat on the counter. The rest of the people crowding the café pause, waiting with bated breath for Mingyu’s answer.

            “Of course it’s true,” he says and almost immediately everyone starts whining, but all Mingyu does is lean closer, reaching out to brush the girl’s hair back. “Aren’t I dating all of you?”

            It makes Wonwoo gag, rolling his eyes at the younger boy, but everyone swoons. Wonwoo is in the back, completing orders in the fastest manner he can, and yet Mingyu is out there flirting. It makes Wonwoo’s lips twitch, threatening to form a frown. Mingyu holds a girl by the chin, his fingers trailing to her cheek as he lets her go, winking as he walks away. Typical.

            When Mingyu comes to the back, he lets out a heavy sigh, shaking his head as he smiles lightly. “Are my orders ready?” Mingyu asks and Wonwoo doesn’t even turn to look at him, just points to where he has placed the pastries and drinks Mingyu’s fanclub has ordered.

            Things are pretty consistent for the rest of the night, with girls and boys coming in to flirt with Mingyu, using the excuse that they want to order something. Mingyu flirts back easily, grinning widely, and every time a customer leaves, they leave behind extra bills and a napkin with their name and number written on it. Mingyu stuffs the extra money in his pocket, throwing away most of the napkins – but not all, Wonwoo notices.

            Mingyu is just saying good-bye to a group of fanboys when Wonwoo steps out of the kitchen, two cups of Americanos in his hands. Mingyu is trying to shut the door, but his head pokes out, and Wonwoo hears him say, “Sorry boys, but we’re closing so you have to leave.”

            He hears them whine and Mingyu laughs, saying bye once again before he shuts the door, locking it and slumping against it. He glances at Wonwoo, his eyes brightening up as he sees what Wonwoo has in his hands.

            “Is that my favorite?”

            Wonwoo clears his throat, fighting back the heat in his cheeks. “Yep, here you go.”

            Mingyu grabs it thankfully, his fingers brushing Wonwoo’s when he grabs the cup. He slumps down in a chair, lifting the cup up to his mouth and drinking almost all of it in one gulp. Wonwoo sits next to him, taking small sips of his own drink.

            “How much did you make today?”

            Mingyu shrugs, setting the empty cup on the counter. He rolls his neck and then he’s leaning his head against the wall, closing his eyes. “Don’t know,” he mumbles, “haven’t counted.”

            Wonwoo hums, swirling his cup and watching intently as it makes a small hurricane of coffee. “Must have been a lot with how flirty you were being today.”

            Mingyu opens his eyes to peek at Wonwoo, not that the older boy can see it since he refuses to look anywhere but his cup. “You sound awfully upset about that.”

            Wonwoo’s lips form a straight line. “I’m not upset.”

            Mingyu sighs. “Okay, that sounds like a lie.”

            Wonwoo glances up at Mingyu, his brows furrowed. Mingyu is staring at him with wide and innocent eyes, as if he’s done nothing wrong. And, logically, he hasn’t, but Wonwoo can’t get the image of Mingyu stuffing those damn napkins in his pocket when the person who left them was particularly cute.

            “I’m not upset,” he forces out. “I just don’t think it’s fair for you to play people like this.”

            Mingyu frowns, sitting up. His shoulders are tense, his eyes narrowing. “Play people like what, hyung? Because last I checked, I was single and I could do what I want.”

            Wonwoo sighs, shaking his head. He plants his still full coffee cup on the counter, standing up. “God, it’s always like a game of push-and-pull with you.”

            “Me? You’re the one getting angry.”

            “I’m not angry.”

            “Oh yeah? Then why are you walking away from me?”

            Wonwoo stops in his tracks, turning around to face Mingyu. He sets his shoulders, lifting his chin in defiance. “I’m not walking away. I don’t care what you do Mingyu,” he lies, crossing his arms over his chest.

            Mingyu sighs, using his palms to push himself up. “I wish you would just be honest with me, Wonwoo. If it upsets you, just tell me.”

            “It doesn’t upset me, I’m just saying it’s not fair for you to play with peoples feelings like that.”

            Mingyu rolls his eyes. “Oh yeah? Well, why do you care?”

            And Wonwoo doesn’t say anything.

            Mingyu sighs at the silence, shaking his head. He looks at Wonwoo, his eyes determined and sad. “Until you can answer that question for me Wonwoo, it’s always going to be a game of push-and-pull.” He grabs both cups in his hands. “And I’m getting tired of being the only one playing, hyung.”

            Wonwoo doesn’t know what he means by that but he still doesn’t move as Mingyu brushes past him, the taller boy not even glancing at him. It’s only when Mingyu has already pushed past the doors to the kitchen that Wonwoo lets his shoulders fall.

            He rubs at his thudding heart, frowning. He glances back to where Mingyu has escaped and his lips form a scowl. They both finish cleaning in silence and it’s only when Wonwoo is taking out the trash that he sees a crumpled ball of napkins sitting at the top. He glances at Mingyu, who is waiting for Wonwoo by the door.

            (He doesn’t say that he is because they’re technically in a fight, but he hesitates by the door, pretending to fix his shoelaces while Wonwoo closes up. Even if he’s angry, Mingyu won’t let Wonwoo walk home alone.)

            Wonwoo frowns at the crumpled ball of phone numbers written on napkins. , Wonwoo thinks, walking over to Mingyu. His peace offering is him hooking his arm through Mingyu’s and Mingyu glances down at it quickly before looking straight ahead, his lips quirking. Brat, Wonwoo thinks, why’d he have to be so handsome?


a/n: wow guys, 100 subscribers? thank you all so so much! i'm sorry for not posting yesterday, i really wanted to but i got busy with work and life. thanks for commenting and subscribing ~ ~