"I want Fishie!"

The Family Park

“I want Fishie!”

 

Yixing and Sehun walk hand in hand down the street. A giant grin on both of their faces. “Yayy!”

 

“Haha, are you excited Sehunnie?” he ruffles his hair tenderly.

 

“Mhmmm! Fishie!!” Sehun exclaims and jumps. Yixing laughs and fondly ruffles the younger’s hair again.  They walk to the pet shop with their sights set on a fish of some sort with the approval of Sehun’s father, Chanyeol. Usually, he’s stingy with money, but after seeing his son’s sparkly eyes and his husband’s pouting face, he gave in. As long as the both of them clean up after the fish and feed it. To which they both promised. (Sehun gurgled more than spoke during that conversation.)

 

Yixing, being the impatient parent, took Sehun out for a walk and decided along the way, they should go get their fish without Chanyeol who was at work.

 

In the middle of the wide walkway, Sehun stops and yanks on Yixing’s hand. “Hm?”

 

He lets go of his father’s hand and makes grabby hands toward the latter. His face in full pout and jumps a little. “Sehunnie, use your words, please,” Yixing scolds lightly watching the young boy go into a small fit.

 

He jumps a little higher and starts whining. “Sehun, you’re a big boy now. Use your words,” he notices the stares people are giving and bows his head to everyone in embarrassment.

 

“Daddyyyyyy!” Sehun whines. Yixing remains firm on what he said earlier.

 

“Let’s go to the pet shop, Sehun-ah,” he gently grasps the boy’s wrist to take him in the direction of the pet store.

 

“Daddy!” he cries.

 

“What is it, Sehun?” he asks calmly, as his son plops to the sidewalk with his arms crossed.

 

“Daddyyyyyy!”

 

“Sehun.”

 

“Daddyyyyyyyy!!!”

 

“Sehuuuuuuuuun!” he mocks with a little grin.

 

“Up!” the younger caves.

 

“That’s all you had to say, dear,” Yixing laughs and picks up his pouting toddler. “Next time, we’ll work on ‘please’ and ‘thank you.’ How does that sound?”

 

“Okie,” Sehun giggles and hides his face in the crook of his father’s neck.

 

“To the pet shop to get you a fish!” he laughs and walks with a bounce to his step earning uncontrollable grins and laughs.

 

 

At the store, Sehun giggles at all of the pets. “Birdie!!! Lizarr! Ew. . .Buggies,” he coos at the glass of the respective pets. Yixing smiles and ruffles his hair.

 

“Let’s go see the fish, Sehun-ah.”

 

“Okie!” he eagerly leads Yixing to the blue side of the store. “Daddy, up!”

 

He picks up his son with ease, as they make their way over to the aquariums. “What do you want to see first, hm?”

 

“That!” he points to the tank with multiple glimmering fish. They were fairly small, but very colorful. So, Yixing goes in the direction of the tank and holds Sehun carefully so he can see the fish properly. “Pwetty!”

 

“Yeah, they’re very pretty aren’t they?” he nuzzles Sehun’s cheek comfortingly. “What about those?”

 

“Pwetty!!” Sehun makes grabby hands toward the aquarium of much larger, more sparkly fishes. “Daddy, down! Downdowndowndown!”

 

Yixing sets Sehun down with ease. “You want one of these Sehun?”

 

Pointing furiously to the pink ones, the toddler grins at the glass; he giggles at his reflection by the fish he wants. “Okay, stay right here.”

 

Yixing leaves the toddler on his own while he goes and gets an attendant to capture their fish.

 

Sehun continues cooing at the pretty fish. “Pwetty fishie. . .Pingk! Pingk fishies!”

 

He claps his hands and looks into the next aquarium staring at small black fish darting around the tank. “Fassst fishies!” his lisp coloring the words in baby talk.

 

One by one, Sehun makes his way to the edge of fish land to the land of puppies. In a circular fence, a huddle of fluffy, sandy colored puppies sit in the center. “Puppy!”

 

He smiles waving at them through the fence. “Oh, hello there!”

 

A grinning tan male greets Sehun from inside the pen. “Would you like to play with them?”

 

The toddler nods eagerly. “Puppies!”

 

He laughs and gestures toward the simple latch nearby a shelf filled with dog treats. “Come over here, and I’ll let you in.”

 

Sehun quickly moves himself over and waits for the tall male to let him in, so he can play with the fluffy pups. “I need you to be gentle with them okay, little guy? They’re very small!”

 

“Okie, Sehunnie be carefoll wid puppies!” he whispers back a finger over his lips and a smile in his eyes. The employee lifts the latch, and Sehun waddles into the pen. “Puppies sleeping?”

 

“No, they’re just resting. Go ahead and pet one,” he presses a soft hand into Sehun’s back gently pushing him closer to the huddle.

 

“Are shure? Puppies look tired. . .”

 

He crouches down to Sehun’s height and pinches his soft cheek. “It’s fine, bud, I promise!”

 

“Okie,” the toddler giggles. Sehun waddles over to the small huddle and plops down onto the floor by one. His chubby hand outstretched toward the soft fur of a dozing puppy. Softly, he rubs the head with his palm. The pup perks up at the touch and leans into it. “Puppy. . .” he coos. The fluff ball inches closer to Sehun in order to get more petting. He giggles at this and continues to caress the soft fur with his small hand.

 

 

Yixing finally returns to the tanks with an attendant to find that his son is gone. “Oh my God. Sehun?”

 

“Sir?”

 

“My son, Sehun, I left him here and now he’s gone! Oh my God!” Yixing rakes a hand through his hair. His heart racing.

 

“Well, he can’t have gone far. . .How old is he?”

 

“He’s four! He likes chocolate, about this tall, he has a lisp, he’s really cute, and I love him, OH MY GOD!! MY BABY IS MISSING!!!!!”

 

“Sir, calm down! I’ll help you find him. What was he wearing?”

 

“Uhm! Uh! He was wearing uhm. . . these really ugly overalls that my husband insisted were cute! A yellow undershirt with little rubber ducks on them and these light up velcro shoes! I DRESSED HIM UP SO CUTELY OHMYGOD MY BABY!!!” he replies frantically.

 

“Okay, I’ll be on the lookout. You check over there by the kennel, I’ll check near the reptiles,” he responds with a collected voice. It’s as if he’s been through the situation before.

 

“Thank you. . . .” Yixing glances at the name tag quickly. “Minisack,” he dashes over to the kennel in search of his son.

 

“‘Minisack’ that's a new one,” he laughs, and looks for a toddler in overalls.

 

 

“Seh-”

 

“Heehee! Jognog is funny!”

 

“It’s Jongin for the millionth time!” he laughs ruffling Sehun’s soft locks. “This pup sure does like you, Sehun-ah.”

 

Yixing spots a ball of fluff within arms reach of Sehun. Actually, he sees multiple balls of fluff in the cage. He approaches with slight caution observing the scene. “Really??”

 

“Yeah,” he ruffles Sehun’s hair again.

 

“Sehun-ah,” Yixing calls. “Where were you?”

 

“Baba!” he giggles and stands up from his position on the ground. “Look at the puppies!”

 

Sehun makes grabby hands toward Yixing with a giant smile on his chubby face. The father bends over and picks his small son up from the pen staring at all of the puffballs. “Ah, you must be ‘Baba’? I’m Jongin,” the employee introduces.

 

“Ah, yes! Thank you for finding my son!”

 

“Actually, he found me,” he laughs getting up from the floor picking up the puppy that Sehun has been petting the past couple minutes. “He’s a very sweet kid.”

 

“I hope he hasn't bothered you much,” he responds trying to calm down his squirming child.

 

“He was no trouble!” Jongin grins petting the small puppy.

 

“Baba, I want puppy!”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Puppy!” he points to the fluff in Jongin’s arm. “Dat is ‘Fishie!’”

 

Sehun giggles and snuggles into Yixing’s neck. “Fishie is so cooote!”

 

“Sehun, we came to buy a fish though not a dog!” Yixing rubs his son’s back and gives a subtle nod to a laughing Jongin before walking back over to the tanks of sparkly fish.

 

“But I want a puppy, Baba!” he whines. “We call it Fishie so tall Appa doesn't get mad!”

 

Yixing sighs staring at the various clown and glowing fish. All swimming in calming figure eights. Effortlessly cutting through the slight current of water. The toddle claps his hands at the idea and chortles again before snuggling into the crook of Yixing’s neck. “We call puppy Fishie. . . !” A display of betta fish ranging from baby to adult is in front of them. Long tails and striking colors distract Sehun for a small while before he hides himself, and whines about “Fishie.”

 

“Oh, Sehun. . .you crazy little cactus you,” Yixing mumbles giving the fish a fleeting glance before making his way back to the puppy pen. “You’re so lucky you’re cute, and the fact your uncle Baekhyun has dog stuff.”

 

 

“Hi, again Jongin!”

 

“I’ll get the paperwork?”

 

“Yup.”

 

“FISHIE!”

 

 

“Park, Yixing. You are -messing with me. You did not buy a freaking dog,” Chanyeol tries to calm himself. “That is not a dog I hear in the living room. My son is not giggling right now with a dog.”

 

“FISHIE!”

 

Yixing captures Chanyeol’s lips in a short kiss. “I love you!”

 

“YIXING!” he yells exasperated.

 

“IT WAS SO FLUFFY YEOL! LOOK FOR YOURSELF!!!” he shoves his husband into their small living room. “You said to get a fish, and gosh darn it we got a “fish!””

 

“Xing!” Chanyeol whines. “The wrong fish! I was talking about the one that goes glub glub! NOT woof woof!”

 

“Daddy!!!” Sehun squeals getting up from the fuzzy carpet and stumbling over to Chanyeol. He hugs the latter’s pant leg, as a walking hot dog of fluff trots after the toddler. “Look at Fishie!”

 

“It’s so fluffy,” he deadpans.

 

“Fishie!”

 

“I think I’m in love,” he responds as he ruffles Sehun’s hair before petting Fish. The dog yips happily.

 

“Told you so.”

 

“Shut up.”

 

“Fishie!!!”

 

“Arf arf!”

 

“IT’S SUPPOSED TO GO GLUB DAMMIT!!!"

 

“CHANYEOL!!!” thwack!


edit  160726