Neighbors

Starstruck

You never did mean to see him ever again. 

You met Kim Taehyung at the magical age of 20. The tall popular boy with chocolate brown eyes that all the underclassmen girls swooned over in campus.  It was actually all a big coincidence that you had even met him at that college party, when you accidentally drank out of his spiked cocktail instead of your one. 

“Wrong drink sweetheart,” He had said, as you immediately pulled the cup away from your mouth. 

He gave you a curious smile as you scrunched your nose, the alcohol burning your throat. 

“S…sorry,” you coughed as you put down his cup and picked up your own, gulping it down quickly to get rid of the sharp taste.  You never really did enjoy alcohol. 

When you put down your cup, Taehyung was still staring at you, eyeing your every move with his curious brown eyes. 

You giggled awkwardly.  “What?” 

Taehyung grinned and raised one eyebrow.  “What?”

You shhok your head and burst out into laughter as he followed shortly.  You thought his laugh sounded like shooting stars and endless galaxies.

When you breathed in, you still tasted the alcohol in your breath and it made you gasp slightly. 

“Come”  Taehyung motioned you to come closer, one arm held out. 

You shyly moved a step forward and when you were close enough, he pulled you in swiftly with his outstretched hand, his other free hand catching the back of your neck.  Before you could process what was actually happening, his mouth was on yours, his tongue grazing your bottom lip. 

Just like that, he pulled away, and it took you a second to realize he had slipped a small mint in your mouth. 

“That should do the trick” He smiled as he lightly his heel and disappeared into the crowd. 

You raised a finger to touch your lip gently as you exhaled. 

You had forgot to breath. 

 

He somehow managed to find you after Biology class the next day and you both finally exchanged numbers over the third cup of coffee and a few cookies.  That was the start of a magical year.  Your relationship with Taehyung lasted one year, but for the two of you, it was your own little forever. 

Taehyung was like the past volume of a book, a different lifetime.  A life full of stardust and mysteries hidden behind the shadows of the moon.  He was a walking tornado, sweeping up all of you in his path, forcing you to feel the rush of adrenaline, to feel your heart thump fast against your chest. 

He made you feel alive with every stupid thing you did together, every night you spent with him making love. He made you see stars in many different ways, and he treated you just like one, as if you were the sun to his planet.  Everywhere you went, he followed and vice versa.

 “Just you and me darling” He would often say as he kissed the top of your head when you both snuck out to the roof of his house late at night with a bottle of liquor. 

That was all but three years ago.  Three years was a long time and Kim Taehyung remained nothing but as a strange, but lovely dream in your memory. He was like the single shooting star to your night sky, and nothing could ever come as close as it.  Despite it all, you had moved on, and he had moved on; you had heard from mutual friends that after you broke up, he had moved to study abroad in Europe.  You were relieved to hear that. Again, you had never meant to see him again, although you never felt starstricken quite the same way without him. You met new people, went out with a few nice boys, graduated college, and found yourself a steady job. You were happy. No longer starstruck, but nonetheless, happy. 

One year of Taehyung was enough Taehyung for a lifetime, or you had thought until now as you stood in front of your new apartment neighbor’s door, steaming with anger at 3 in the morning. 

You had heard your new neighbor move into the apartment room right in front of yours a few days ago, and you had meant to go say hello when you had time.  This was not how you had quite imagined your first meeting with your new neighbor to be, but heck, it was three in the ing morning and this was blasting his music throughout the apartment. 

You knocked violently on the door one more time, praying that it would catch your neighbor's attention despite all the music and screaming. Luckily for you, the door swung open a few seconds later.  You were unsure of where to keep your focus. Perhaps the obnoxious crowd you saw inside the small apartment, or the barely clad blonde bombshell clinging onto the shoulder of your neighbor, or your neighbor himself.

“Hi, I live in the apartment right infront of you and I was wondering if you could…”

your eyes finally locked with the big chocolate ones in front of you.

You could tell he was shocked too, and Kim Taehyung in your memory barely showed such emotions.

For a second you thought you could see the innocent gentleness in his eyes that you would see when he looked at you three years ago, but it soon clouded over with his usual smug cockiness. 

“Taehyung?” 

His name sounded foreign, yet so familiar on your lips. 

“Hey.” 

Taehyung shooed the girl next to him back inside to the crowd. 

It was awkward. 

“I didn’t know you were back in Korea.”  You half-shouted above the music.

Taehyung barely shrugged. 

“But I was wondering if you can turn down the music.” 

An irritating smirk tugged at his lips.

“I have twenty four people in here."  He jerked his head back towards his place. " I cant ruin the fun now,can I?” 

Twenty four people?  How did he even manage to fit twenty four people in that space? But then again, it was Kim Taehyung.  Nothing was impossible with him.

“It’s three in the morning Taehyung, people have work tomorrow.”  You raised your voice a notch. 

To your surprise, Taehyung slammed the door shut in your face. 

Your breath got caught in your throat, you were mildly offended but then again, not really.  Taehyung had always been an , just never to you.  You glared at the door before you whirled around, stomping back to your place.  You were planning to look into a new apartment as soon as you could.