7

Growing Pains
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When the pair stepped outside the sun was luckily still up. Minhee rolled her eyes as Mark giggled at the annoyed expression on her face. They didn’t need to speak, the playful tension still keeping them comfortable with each other as if they were little kids again. They waited at the bus stop, not paying attention too much and when the bus came, they wordlessly got on and filled an empty seat with their cold bodies.

 

“I forgot, where are we going?” To get ice cream?” Minhee asked, realizing she hadn’t paid attention to her friend earlier until he insulted her and made up a story.

 

The boy turned towards her and squinted as his eyes met hers. She did the same back at him, waiting for a response.

 

“Now I know why you parents are so worried for you. You really are stupid.”

 

Minhee’s jaw threaten to drop, instead she kept her eyes squinted and nodded, deciding to stare at him and wait for a real answer. Instead they were in a contest, passing the bus ride by waiting for the other to break. When the bus came to halt, Mark had to glance away and check if it was their stop, which was considered a win for Minhee. She grinned and did a little wiggle in her seat, causing him to flare his nostrils in pseudo-anger.

 

“We’re going to go eat Jackson’s dumplings.”

 

The air grew awkward.

 

“Is that a euphemism for something? Look, great friend of mine, I know you like guys and I like guys. But that doesn’t mean I want a with you and your acquaintance.”

 

Mark couldn’t help but laugh, causing Minhee to chuckle as well.

 

“Honestly, I’m sure if you asked to meet him out back and get a special serving, he’d be more than willing.” he said, wiggling his brows, which creeped Minhee out and made her shove him away.

 

“Fine, whatever. Really, are we going to go see him though? Oh!” She said, now remembering the conversation from earlier. “You said he’d give us a half off discount if I showed up, right? That’ll be my half that is the free one, so you can pay for the rest?” she said, serious but also wanting to provoke a reaction.

 

The boy rolled his eyes and the girl let herself smile, satisfied at his response.

 

“Sure. Oh, this is our stop.” he said, getting up as the bus rolled slow until it came to a halt. Minhee followed close behind, making sure her bag was zipped and on her back. She had a lot of work inside it that she decided to take home along with some borrowed supplies she’d obviously return tomorrow. But she had to be a bit careful not to be too aggressive so the pencils wouldn’t break or the pastels wouldn’t crush in their designated pouch.

 

Off the bus and onto the sidewalk, it was just a short walk down the frigid path in the city center until they reached the well worn family business. Minhee looked up at the sign that held dominance over the entrance, a little bit of dirt shading the lettering to a beige cream inside of a white she suspected it once was. Once inside the shop the smell of warm food filled their senses, making the girl’s stomach growl yet again, her eyes going wide in search of the food she could smell so well. It was a bit busy as Mark led them up to the counter, going a bit right of the line to the register.

 

Taking orders was a well kept lady wearing casual clothes, talking to the customer in Korean then turning towards the kitchen and yelling something in Chinese. Minhee didn’t know any language besides her native one, so she had no concept of what kind of Chinese it was. The boy beside her looked to where the woman directed her tone as a familiar voice replied a short word in the foreign tongue, making the girl a bit curious, but not enough to ask. Another short moment passed as the woman took care of entering the customer’s full order and sent him to go sit and wait before she turned to acknowledge them.

 

“Little rooster, you want to help? If not, go sit and wait. I’ll tell my son to get you and your friend food, I know what you like, don’t worry~” she said in a mix of stern and gentle that made Minhee feel at ease for some reason. The boy smiled at the woman and gave a nod in her direction as she listened to the next person in line relay their order.

 

“That’s his mom. If you want to get his dumplings, make sure she likes you. Then you can have a lifetime supply. Free of charge.” Mark told her as he guided them over to an empty table in the middle of the shop. She couldn’t tell if he was talking about food or something else like earlier. She gave a forced laugh and furrowed her brows, trying to decipher his words.

 

Minhee let herself slouch in the seat, eyes falling to the wooden table that just had a few condi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter