6

Growing Pains
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Art club was held on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. So the next day, Tuesday, when Mark showed up after school, he expected Minhee to be waiting for him in the lobby. At least, with her having told him the club days last night during their text convo, he anticipated her also following that schedule.

 

But no.

 

Waiting for a good five minutes as the halls grew clearer and more stares came him way, the boy received a message from the girl telling him she was in the art room. Mark had already planned taking her to Jackson’s family restaurant. His friend had been asking to see her and even though he knew the pair would just flirt back and forth, the boy was okay with it. It wasn’t like he actually had feelings for her.

 

So, instead he walked down the corridor in the direction he remembered her leading him yesterday. Upon approaching the room, he noticed the lights were mostly off, just a faint glow coming from somewhere in the room. Mark cocked a brow and put a hand on the knob, cautiously turning it as he could barely see anything before him.

 

“Hey, I’m tracing things, don’t turn on the light okay,” Minhee’s voice rang from across the room.

 

Looking over, he could see her silhouette standing next to a box which the top of was emitting a glow of yellow light. The boy resisted just turning around and walking out, but decided to stay seeing as he had not much better to do.

 

“Even when there isn’t club, I still come here.” Minhee spoke, pausing as she turned her paper. “My parent’s don’t buy me supplies so I just use the ones in class. The teacher said it’s okay since it all comes from the school’s pocket, which comes from the district budget, which comes from taxpayers. So in a way, my parents do pay for it. Which is petty-” pausing again to pick up the sheet for a moment just to put it down again. “But makes me happy.”


 

The boy nodded, forgetting she couldn’t see it even if the lights were on as her back was turned to him. His eyes began to adjust to the darkness while fumbling around the room, eventually finding a seat in the front row a small distance from her.


 

“I needed a nap anyway. Goodnight~”

 

“Hey, no wait, I’m almost done.” and with that, Minhee’s pencil loudened with a few quick scratches on the thick paper. She took the sheet off and left the lightbox on so she wouldn’t lose all sense of sight before jogging across the room, closing her eyes as she flicked on the light.

 

“So, can we go now?”

 

“Nooooooo” the girl said, walking over to the box and lifting her things from it. “I still have way more to do. If you want to leave, feel free. I knew you’d come by anyway cause you’re a good son or whatever, so if you want to really take a nap, be my guest. Or you could like, play with some supplies, or maybe make up a chant to cheer me on while I work. Whatever floats your boat.” She said not even kidding while taking her things from the front of the room to the back row she always sat at.

 

The boy leaned back in his seat, letting his head flop backwards so he saw her upside down. She looked better this way honestly.

 

“You remember Jackson?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“His family owns a dumpling place, he said he’d give us a half-off discount if I brought you there.” He said, feeling the blood rush to his brain as his worldview was still toppled over. Minhee let out a laugh when she realized what he said.

 

“Cute. But not today. Maybe tomorrow though? When club happens I like to leave when everyone else does that way I can talk to them on the way out. But when it’s just m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter