Chapter 1

I ain't the same
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Listen to https://youtu.be/bGE_yU1ovLI

 

I sat in the band room before the performance, gently the strings of my electric guitar. Humming along with the lazy notes, I started to warm up my voice. I always preferred to be alone before a performance, because if I'm around others I get more nervous.

Do
Re
Me
Fa
Sol
La
Ti
Do

"Queen? You ready? We got like 5 minutes until we get up there." Roderick knocked on the door. I looked up at him with a nervous smile. You may call it singing at a simple school assembly, but this was the first time we've ever done anything like this. Sure, we've performed at birthday parties and such, but nothing like this. 

Mr. Byland, one of the assistant principles, told me that Mr. Donahue (the principal) wanted us to sing at the next school assembly due to the fact that he heard us sing at his mother's birthday party.

"Yeah, I'm ready," I said, getting up and putting my guitar's strap over my head. "Uh, I'm so nervous.." I shook my hands in an attempt to make them less sweaty, with no avail.

Roderick chuckled. "You always get like this before a performance. Never fails. You say that now, but once you get on stage, you'll be fine. You know that." I agreed with him, I was always like that. But this time, it's different. All the people we were singing in front of were people we knew. People we saw just about every day. People who could ruin our lives if they really wanted to.

We walked out of the band room and into the school gym which was filled with students. Each of them was too engrossed in their own conversations to notice us walking in. Maria, Ruby, and Angela, as well as Mickey and Rerun, were already done setting up. We were a band of a good size. Even with 7 of us, I still felt like there wasn't enough of us. With Maria, Ruby and Angela as background singers, Mickey on the keyboard, Rerun on drums and Roderick on bass guitar. 

As I walked up to them on the small platform that was put on the gym floor just for us, I was greeted with smiles. Roderick handed me the cord to plug my guitar up to the amp. I gently strung a few keys to test the sound without attracting attention to myself. Seconds later, Roderick did the same thing.

I turned around and looked at my band mates to see if they were ready. I got head nods and thumbs up from everyone. So all we had to do was wait for Mr. Donahue. Soon after, he appeared in the center of the gym, just feet in front of us.

"Good afternoon, all," He said. "So, today is a special day. All you all know, we will now be having assemblies every 2 weeks, and for your benefit, they will all include music." The whole gym broke out in an excited cheer, which a few teachers tried to calm everyone down.

"Since today is the first assembly after this band performs, there will be a small party. Meaning, you guys can socialize and dance if you would like, with the teachers as chaperones of course."

I knew I was sweating. I could feel the eyes of all the people around me. 400+ is what Maria told me. "So without further of due, The Cool Kids!"

The whole room was oddly silent as Mr. Donahue moved out of o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter