Ms. Right and Ms. Always Right

The Simplicity of it

It was an unspoken system in the Kwon Enterprises, the higher the floor you are in, the more power you hold in the company. Kwon Yuri and Tiffany Hwang is of course at the 24th floor overlooking the Seoul skyline while Im Yoona is at the Second floor working as an associate for the Marketing Department.

 

It’s been a few months after Yoona graduated from college. She hadn’t even walked on stage to receive her diploma and Yuri already offered her a position in the company. She wanted to refuse, knowing how tricky it is to date the owner of the company, but it seems like Yuri has more of a hold on her than she thought when she accepted the position within minutes.

 

It didn’t even take that long for gossip to fly around. Everyone in the Marketing Department KNEW who she is. Even the ladies in the cafeteria tries to win her over by giving her extra slices of cake during lunch. Everyone in the 33 floors know who she is, well everyone except their boss. He talks in grunts and scoffs, face always in a perpetual frown and looks like he is ready to jump off the ledge at any given moment.

 

It happened one fateful Wednesday morning, a scene that could be similar to the hallelujah chorus when the elevator door opens and instead of angels, a Goddess in her Armani suit steps out. Seeing Ms. Kwon in the Marketing department was a shot of vaccine for their zombie boss.

 

“MS. KWON!”

 

It’s pretty much the first time Yoona heard her boss talk louder than a grunt. She had to purse her lips to keep herself from laughing at his high pitch squeal.

 

Yuri only greets him with a nod, already on her way over to Yoona’s desk. Her overweight boss looks like an animated character huffing to catch up to her.

 

 “So, do you need anything, Ms. Kwon? Coffee, tea? Me?”

 

“No,” Yuri said, her patience was apparently wearing thin.

 

“Okay, okay, okay.” Her boss answered, not picking up the hint from Yuri’s voice.  He must be on his power trip trying to impress her girlfriend with his “power” when he decided to show off by pointing his stubby finger at her.

 

“You!”

 

“Me?” Yoona looks up from her computer and points to herself. Even though she is directly under him, she pretty much gets her direction from her coordinator. It was surprising to hear him finally talking to her.

 

“Yes, you! Go make Ms. Kwon a cup of coffee quick.” He commanded her, before giving Yuri a chuckle. “Associates.”

 

Everyone in the room audibly gasp, but their shock couldn’t compare to the low growls escaping the Boss’ mouth. Everyone in the department knows who Yoona is except their manager or should they say former manager.

 

Yoona shuts her eyes, praying that Yuri would just let it go. Unfortunately, her manager added more fuel to Yuri’s already blazing fire.

 

“Hey! Don't just stand there! Hurry up!”

 

The rest of the office starts shaking their head, pitying their manager.

 

“Is this how you talk to your employee?”

 

Yoona never realize how deep Yuri’s voice could get until now.

 

“Well Ms. Kwon,” He laughs. “She’s new in MY department. And I have to show toughness to get the results that our company needs.”

 

“Ahhhh… I guess it was a mistake hiring my girlfriend for your department.”

 

Her boss looked like he just craps on himself, all sweaty with teeth chattering loud enough that the next department could hear.

 

“W-w-wait, girlfriend, boss?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Yuri slices through him with those piercing brown eyes.

 

“Or maybe it was a mistake having someone so disrespectful as a manager.”

 

It was time for Yoona to step in.

 

She and Yuri hardly mix during work, it was her golden rule that Yuri absolutely despises. But this time it was her who was quick to her feet, tugging on Yuri’s sleeve.

 

“Where’s your office?”

 

“Why ma’am?”

 

“So I don’t have to fire you in front of the whole office.”

 

The manager could only muster with a pathetic whimper.

 

“Does he always treat you like this?” Yuri asked Yoona. Yoona exhales deeply, pitying her manager whose face is reminiscent of somebody who’s about to jump off the ledge. Though Yoona have to admit that he’s terrible to worth with, he wasn’t someone she would label a horrible person. Right now what she could say could either break or make his life.

 

“No… don’t fire him for that. He just got excited that you’re here.” She whispers and everyone watches in awe to see the fuming Kwon Yuri slowly calming.

 

“Consider it a warning”, She hissed and takes Yoona’s hand on hers. “I need you in my office.”

 

**********

 

The clickety clack of Tiffany’s heels echoed in the hallway, she was about to go over Yuri’s office to review some propositions when Hyoyeon chimed in with a warning.

 

“Yoona is there.”

 

As fun it would be to catch Yuri and Yoona in the act, she knew better. And if she doesn’t want to be crucified upside down on a burning cross, then she better not messed with them.

 

“Thanks,”

 

**

 

“Sir… I finish the paperworks you wanted.”

 

Yoona laid the folders on her boss’ desk. She almost fell back in surprise when her manager looked straight back at her with an optimistic gleam in his eyes.

 

“Oh! Oh! Oh! Don’t you worry about it, Ms. Im. You work so hard, you need to take a break.”

 

“It’s still eleven o clock sir.”

 

“It is? And look how productive you already are? Let me tell you this, in all my years working I have never met such a hardworking and creative worker like you. Did I tell you are doing a great job?”

 

It almost felt like she was talking to a whole different person. Her boss as “accommodating” as he sounds to be, obviously praises her for an entirely different reason. And Yoona didn’t know which one she likes more, the hardass boss or this fake one. Right now, he is the ideal boss for lazy people.

 

The buzz was he was aiming to land the director position for the media relations department. People doesn’t mention it to her but it became pretty clear that the only reason he’s being such an angel to her was so she could put in a good word for him.

 

Come to think about it, it wasn’t just him. Everyone in the 33 floors of Kwon enterprises from her boss, to the security guard, to the cafeteria lady threads carefully when it comes to her. She was always, always, showered with compliments and is treated like a queen.

 

People always told her how envious they were of her, but Yoona wasn’t like most people. All this lavish pampering was just making her feel awkward and uncomfortable. She didn’t spend four years in college to just be known as the boss’ girlfriend. Don’t get her wrong, she was proud, very proud of being Kwon Yuri’s significant other but not in the workplace.

 

IT was during lunch when she finds herself wandering around the Koi Gardens. It was a hidden gem in what appears to everyone as the modern building. For now, it has been the only place where she could find peace. The only place where she could contemplate about a decision that has been nagging at her for weeks.

 

“Hey beautiful,”

 

Yoona didn’t get a chance to turn around, when Yuri already surprised her with a kiss on the cheek. They have already have been dating for a couple of months, have been intimate with each other for many times, but Yoona still couldn’t contain the way her heart race when Yuri was this close to her.

 

“Hey, yourself. I brought you lunch.”

 

Yuri sat on the marble bench next to her, watching intently as Yoona opens the different Tupperware that had Yuri’s mouth watering.

 

“I should hire you as a chef.”

 

“You haven’t even tasted it yet. Here you go.” Yoona feeds her a takoyaki.

 

“I was right.”

 

“Thanks, gorgeous.”

 

“So, Yul… I have been thinking…”

 

Yuri chews thoughtfully, but all her attention was on Yoona.

 

“I’m thinking of resigning.”

 

“What?!”

 

It was just one word but it was enough to make Yoona paralyze. It was the Kwon Yuri, CEO reaction. For a split second there, she realizes why people crap at their pants when Yuri is around. She hardly sees this reaction and now that she saw it, she knows what the people who works for her goes through.

 

Yuri was clearly infuriated. Being the owner of the company, she lets HR or the department managers deal with terminating the employees. But right now, she has the sudden urge to do it herself. She was ready to call Hyoyeon to arrange a meeting with Yoona’s manager, when Yoona’s kiss on her lips put her at ease.

 

“It’s okay, Yul. I just think… Well, they just treat me nice here. Too nice.”

 

The owner raised a brow.

 

 

“Isn’t that a good thing?”

 

“Yes, but how could I learn if they won’t let me do anything?”

 

Yuri still have that intense frown etched on her face and Yoona made it a mission to make it go away by kissing her.

 

“How about I move you to another department?”

 

“No baby. Remember what you always say, something easy is not worth having? I felt like I didn’t deserve anything in this company. I want to establish something for myself. I want you to feel the same way as I do when I see you in the podium, or in meetings and you know… I want you to be proud of me too… and I don’t think I’ll ever be worthy until I do something.”

 

The frown completely disappeared from Yuri’s face, instead it was replaced by a proud smile. It completely baffles her why Yoona would think that she wasn’t proud of her. But maybe this time, words can’t answer her questions. So for now, she has to settle with kisses. She kissed Yoona to prove a point. She kissed Yoona so that it would never escape her thoughts how proud she was of her, and of how she wants, needs and craves for her.

 

***************************

 

Job hunting felt more like a bloody sport.

 

Yoona’s resume have been ripped, burned and trampled to the ground by Yuri herself. Her girlfriend, the perfectionist that she is help craft the resume until she knew it was perfect.

 

She was a fresh graduate after all, still lacked the experience most companies wanted for.

 

The Job hunting came to a point where she gets excited whenever she sees unknown numbers calling her, only to be sorely disappointed when it turns out to be telemarketers instead of HR.

 

Yuri had been asking her which companies she applied her but she kept shut. Knowing how “helpful” her girlfriend is, she could already tell that Yuri would make one phone call to secure her the job.

 

But Yoona was never the type to just laze around, instead she used her time, browsing through cooking blogs for recipes, making sure she welcomes Yuri home with a hearty meal. Last night she recalled having a conversation about Paella and how Yuri was craving some Spanish food.

 

Yoona hadn’t tasted Paella yet, but hopefully it’s good enough to satiate Yuri’s tastebuds.

 

“Hey,” Yuri drags herself inside the apartment. She barely said a word except for a long sigh.

 

“Long day, babe?”

 

Yuri answers with a soft groan before sitting down. All she really wanted to do was climb in bed and sleep what’s left of her night away. But she couldn’t ignore Yoona being so sweet, how could she?

 

“Remember you were talking about paella last night, so tada!”

 

The boss wondered when did she ever let anyone this much power on her.

 

“Impressive.”

 

***

 

 

Yuri doesn’t think any word from the dictionary could sum up how disappointed she is at the companies, Yoona decided to apply for. These were basically nobodies, struggling to make a name for themselves in the business world. They were small fry companies that she could own with a snap of a finger.

 

“You want me to go ahead and send out recommendation letters?”

 

Hyoyeon asks curiously, as she watched Yuri skim through the papers.

 

“No… I’ll call them myself. Thanks.”

 

*

 

It didn’t even take more than a few hours for Yuri’s magic to work.

 

Of course it was a secret just between her and her team. She walks in her home to Yoona’s grinning face and the little lie couldn’t have been more worth it.

 

“Guess who just got three phone calls in one day?!”

 

Yuri turns away from Yoona, hiding her smile as she walks to the fridge.

 

“Congratulations, baby. How about we go and celebrate?”

 

Yoona’s smile faded into a cute pout.

 

 “Not yet…. I don’t want to jinx it.”

 

Yuri scoffs inwardly at the thought.

 

All she really needed to say was her name, and how her girlfriend is interested to work in their company.She doubts any of them would dare not hire Yoona. They knew better than pissing off Kwon Yuri, she could smite companies to shambles if something doesn’t please her.

 

 “Whatever you say, darling.”

 

*

 

The Manager wasn’t so sure about hiring this Im Yoona. The girl has nothing impressive up her sleeve, just recently graduated, less than a year of work experience compared to the other more qualified applicants.  But her boss already warned her who she was and she has no intention of upsetting Kwon Yuri. She already pictured her in her head, she must be beautiful, so beautiful that Kwon Yuri picked her. But she must be snotty, who thinks the world revolves around her if she asked Yuri to call their company. She grits her teeth, she hates this Im Yoona already.

 

“Ma’am, Ms. Im Yoona is here.”

 

She cleared , trying not to mix her professional decisions with her personal opinions.

 

The manager instantly gulp as the beautiful woman walks in. She usually reserves that reaction for Idols and Hallyu stars, not for applicants for the company, but Im Yoona’s beauty was beyond what she imagined.

 

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out why the Tigress of Asian Economy would pick her.

 

“Hello, Ms. Kim… good morning. Thank you for granting me this interview.”

 

The manager was taken aback at how respectful the lovely lady is. She tried to search for it, but there was no sign of any uppity, y attitude from this girl.

 

*

 

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that her girlfriend had her hand on these interviews. Yoona should have expected questions like what her responsibilities were in Kwon Enterprises, not question like how well she knew Kwon Yuri.

 

She tries hard to compose herself as she walks inside Yuri’s floor. The second she steps in, all the executives and managers bows down to her. She hadn’t been back in the office for almost a month, and yet it still made her just as uncomfortable as it did before.

 

“Hello,”

 

“Oh!” Hyoyeon halts her typing and faces her with a wide grin. “What can I do for you, Yoona?”

 

“I just… well. Is Yuri free right now?”

 

“She’s in a meeting right now, but just go in.”

 

“I won’t do that.”

 

“Oh no no no no no… She’ll terminate my if she finds out that I made you wait.”

 

That was enough to guilt Yoona into submission.

 

*

 

It wasn’t hard to know where Yuri would be sitting at the conference table. Yoona spotted her girlfriend as soon as she walked in at the head of table. This was the Kwon Yuri everyone knows, not the Kwon Yuri she knows and love.

 

Yuri looks like she was ready to pounce on the idiot that pushes through the double doors, but her expression quickly shifted when she saw who walked in.

 

Yoona bows down at the table of directors and managers and the entire room started scrambling to their feet, bowing down like they’re unworthy of her presence. One flick of Yuri’s hand and the executives filed in one line, and marched out of the room, like children being reprimanded by the principal.

 

“I could have waited.”

 

“No, we needed a break anyway.”

 

She nudges Yoona to move closer, but Yoona remained her ground, standing a few good feet away.

 

 “What’s wrong?”

 

“Did you call any of the places I applied for?” Yoona went straight to the point but she instantly regretted it when she sees the expression on Yuri’s face. No one ever dared question that Tigress motives and here she was, walking in the den, poking the already agitated Tigress with questions.

 

“And what if I did?”

 

“You promise you won’t.”

 

Yuri’s face remained expressionless and every second that tick by without her saying a word makes Yoona shiver. She had heard about this kind of Yuri, heard countless horror stories and now she’s face to face with her.

 

“Let me tell you something about the business world, Yoona.”

 

Yuri finally spoke, her voice low and calculating. She leans closer to Yoona, eyeing her like her next meal.

 

“I know you have this belief that everything happens if you work hard. But let me be honest, it’s really all about connections.”

 

“I…I know that. I don’t know if you’re aware of who you are.”

 

Yuri leans back, crossing her arms as a defensive stance.

 

“Of course, I do. And Yoong, I’m the best connection you can ever get.”

 

 Yoona shut her eyes, contemplating if its even worth arguing about. She understood her position and she understood Yuri’s position as well. She wanted to prove to Yuri and especially to herself that she’s capable of making a name without any special treatment.

 

“The point is I want to make something out of myself.”

 

“Everybody does, Yoong. I do too. All I wanted to do is help you get inside that door, what you do inside that company is up to you.”

 

“Do you really think anyone would dare fire Kwon Yuri’s girlfriend?”

 

It sounded more like a mockery than an inquisition and Yoona could tell that Yuri didn't appreciate this at all. She could tell that any minute now, Yuri is going to burst.

 

“I have a meeting right now, Yoong,” Yuri said, her tone, low and calculating as if she’s seconds away from throwing a fit. “So if you don’t have anything else to say.”

 

“I don’t.”

 

Both let out a frustrated sigh, if Yoona would have known how futile this conversation be she wouldn’t have let it all simmer down before trying to talk to Yuri about it.

 

“I’ll see you at home.”

 

Yuri just said her goodbye with a loud grunt.

 

****

 

“I got your dinner.”

 

“I’m not hungry.”

 

Yuri snapped before her Louboutins smacks on the hardwood floor. The businesswoman stomping from the doorway to the living room to the bedroom. Yuri’s little fit didn’t do nothing but made Yoona roll her eyes, businesswoman of the year and still acts like a spoiled little brat whenever she doesn’t get her way.

 

“Are you sure you don’t want to eat?”

 

Yuri’s head pop out of the bedroom, her eyes narrowed threateningly at Yoona. But Yoona didn’t look the slightest bit bothered and that only made Yuri more infuriated. Yoona should be begging for her forgiveness now, not giving her that look.

 

“I DON’T WANT TO EAT!”

 

“Yuri, I’m not your coworker.”

 

Yoona pursed her lips when Yuri turns her back on her. Who would have thought that she’s dating a little kid?

 

“Yuri?”

 

“NO!”

 

“Come here.”

 

“I SAID NO!”

 

Yuri must have expected her to back away, because Yoona felt Yuri’s breathe hinge when she wrapped her arms around her in a back hug.

 

“Is this how my baby act when she’s mad?”

 

“I’m not a baby.” The Baby reason out.

 

Yoona anchors her chin on Yuri’s lean shoulder, relishing the soothing scent of Yuri’s perfume.

 

“Do you act like this with your subordinates?”

 

“Mmmmmmm…”

 

“You want to be respected not feared.” Yoona presses a chaste kiss on Yuri’s shoulders. “So, you have to control this little temper tantrums.”

 

“I don’t have te-“ Yuri stops midsentence as she figured out the irony of it all. “I was just trying to help you.”

 

The Tigress finally softens down, purring like a needy kitten as Yoona lays kisses on the crook of her neck.

 

“I know you do, baby. And Thank you, thank you for that. I really do appreciate it, but I would really want to try it on my own.”

 

“But why?” Yuri pouted, her eyes just as adorable.

 

“Just you know that feeling of having achieve something for myself. I want to make mistakes, I want to learn from them. I know, I know you’re trying to help me but the only way I could be better is if I do this on my own. I need to fail, I need to know what I’m doing wrong, I need to make mistakes.”

 

“But why?”

 

“Because that’s how people get better. And when you see me make my way to something, I want you to be proud of me, just as much as I’m proud of you.”

 

“Okay.” Yuri retreated and both shared a grin before exchanging a quick peck on the lips. “So, are you going to say sorry?”

 

“What?”

 

“Are you finally going to say that I’m right and you’re wrong?”

 

Yoona should have known, but instead of getting annoyed at this ridiculous competitive streak, she just shrugs in surrender, there was no way this night is going to end until Yuri proves that she’s the right one.

 

“How about we’re both right and were both wrong?”

 

“But I’am more right?” Yuri asked, with that look of determination on her face that Yoona couldn’t help but coo.

 

“Maybe?”

 

“What?”

 

“Okay… okay, Kwon Yuri you’re right.”

 

TBC

 

A/N Thank you fo reading. One more chapter left and this one is finally finished.