1/1

Gossip Boy

Seungkwan has finished his daily dose of hot chocolate since five minutes ago. Normally by now he would leave the café already, going back home, but apparently today is not a normal day for him.

“Jisoo.” Seungkwan hears someone saying it at the next table. He recognizes that voice, so he twists his head a little bit to confirm it. Yes, it’s indeed Choi Seungcheol. Sitting in front of him is his boyfriend, Hong Jisoo. “Will you just tell me what’s going on? You keep being weird these days. I’m worried seeing you like this, you know.”

Seungkwan’s ears perk up. He can’t believe what’s happening right now. The most beloved couple at school gets into a fight and he’s there to witness all the juicy stuff. Excitement washes over him, making him giddy and jittery. He wonders if this is what Dan Humphrey in the Gossip Girl series felt as he found some juicy gossips from the Chuck and Blair couple.

Seungkwan hears a loud sigh, indicating that whatever happens next probably will not be good. “Seungcheol, it’s my parents.” He realizes that it’s not Seungcheol’s voice this time. It’s Jisoo’s and he sounds so sad. Seungkwan can guess where this conversation is heading to. “They try to set me up again with one of their friends’ daughter.”

His guess is right. Of course one of the couple’s parents will be oblivious about their son’s uality. What a classic problem in a gay relationship. Maybe this is why Jisoo never really associates himself with Seungcheol on his social media. His Twitter username is just a plain @hongjisoo whilst Seungcheol’s is @choiloveshong. Jisoo also uses his selfie as his profile picture whilst Seungcheol uses his wefie with Jisoo.

Jisoo is still in the closet and Seungcheol isn’t.

Seungkwan thinks that this news will be ‘news of the month’ at school if the other students find out. Who would have thought that Jisoo still lies about his uality in front of his family, meanwhile in front of his friends, he doesn’t really bother to hide it? He always lets his overly greasy boyfriend hugs or kisses him in public at school. Even the teachers acknowledge them as a couple.

Seungcheol and Jisoo might not be the first openly gay couple at school (they’re the third, the first one is the Jungyeon and Momo couple and the second one is the Mingyu and Wonwoo couple), but it was still shocking to see them holding hands in public for the first time. Seungcheol had a history of dating Nayeon, his fellow member of the drama club, so people didn’t see it coming that he would end up with Jisoo afterwards.

People eventually got used to them being together as the time went by. In fact, people began to support them (the popular term for this phenomenon is ‘ship’). Whenever they did some skinship, a lot of girls (and some boys) would squeal in delight seeing their lovely interaction. Some of them would even write fanfiction about them and posted it on their blog. Seungkwan had read one out of curiosity. He regretted his choice to read the NC-17 one.

On the other hand, Seungcheol and Nayeon somehow became best friends after they broke up. Nayeon was also in a good term with her ex-boyfriend’s current boyfriend, so it seemed like their decision to break up was mutual. However, there was a nasty rumor about them circulating, saying that Jisoo, the new student from USA, was the one who actually made their relationship fell apart.

“Who is it this time?” Seungcheol asks. Seungkwan can sense the anger in his voice. If he were in Seungcheol’s shoes, he would be mad too right now. The usage of the word ‘again’ signifies that this is possibly not the first time Jisoo’s parents try to set him up with some girl and Seungcheol’s getting tired of it.

“Promise me you won’t be mad when I tell you who it is.” Seungkwan raises his eyebrow hearing Jisoo’s words. Why does he say something like that? Does this mean Seungcheol actually knows the girl that Jisoo’s parents set him up with this time?  Does the girl go to the same school as them? How will Seungcheol react when his boyfriend tell the hurtful truth?

Seungkwan’s inner ‘gossip boy’ can’t stay calm anymore as this story is getting more and more dramatic. He quickly reaches for his phone and logs on to his Twitter account. He’s ready to give a live report about the critical condition of the school’s most beloved couple. Their shippers will surely be devastated to hear the bad news.

“Oh, Jisoo, just tell me who it is.” Seungcheol orders the younger male impatiently. Jisoo sighs again and Seungkwan tenses, holding his phone very tightly. This is the moment of truth that the world has been waiting for. Will this be the final chapter for the school’s Romeo and Juliet (or more like Romeo and Julio)? Will this be the moment Seungcheol changes his Twitter username back to @choiscoups (which is a very ridiculous stage name in Seungkwan’s opinion) and deletes all of his and Jisoo’s photos?

“It’s Nayeon.”

Seungkwan nearly yelps in shock, his phone almost slipping from his grip. From all of the girls living in this world, it has to be Nayeon, Seungcheol’s ex-girlfriend, whom Jisoo’s parents set him up with. Although he can’t really see it because his back is facing them, he can imagine how upset Seungcheol is right now. He might not be that close with Seungcheol and Jisoo as they’re both a year older than him, he’s also not into the shipping thing anyway, yet he feels so bad for them.

[Breaking News] The school’s most beloved couple is currently having a crisis. J reveals to S that his parents set him up with N who is ironically S’ ex. Seungkwan types it all in five seconds. Dan Humphrey should really consider appointing him as South Korea’s gossip girl.

“Nayeon?” Seungkwan hears a tint of disbelief in the black-haired boy’s voice. He shakes his head. Fate is really a to them. “Im Nayeon? You mean my ex? That Nayeon?” There’s silence for a brief moment before Seungcheol goes on. He assumes that Jisoo nods in that silence. “You said no to your parents, didn’t you?”

“I’m sorry, Seungcheol, I can’t. I already said no twice. If I do it again, I’m sure they will be suspicious.” Seungkwan rolls his eyes at Jisoo’s stupidity. Why doesn’t he just tell the truth already? “Besides, Nayeon’s parents have promised my parents some shares from their company if we get married. Nayeon’s parents’ company is huge, you know, so my parents really hope that we can hit it off together.”

Seungkwan feels like he should bring his mom here because she really likes to watch makjang dramas and Seungcheol and Jisoo’s situation is a perfect definition of makjang. Two people from two different worlds fall in love, then they decide to be in a forbidden relationship, everything seems fine for a while, but eventually the parents know and they want to tear them apart, the couple stubbornly tries to hold on, yet in the end they realize that they’re both just too different to be together, so they opt to stay away from each other. God, the angst is just too real.

[Update #1] J is torn between love and family. Unfortunately, it seems that J will choose the latter because he’s too afraid to come out of the closet. Poor S. #StayStrongS #ThisShipIsWrecked #TheMakjangGameGoingStrong

“I can’t believe you.” Seungcheol’s voice is shaking. Seungkwan expects to see tears flowing from the black-haired boy’s eyes by now. “After all we’ve been through, now you want to break it off just like that. Do you think this is all just a game? Does everything that we’ve been through mean nothing to you? Do you even love me in the first place?”

Seungcheol’s last question gets Seungkwan thinking. Seungkwan can see how much the older boy loves his boyfriend. He always initiates skinship with the younger boy. He uses cheesy nicknames to call his boyfriend like ‘my dearest’ or ‘my sunshine’. He compliments the brunette every single time (Seungcheol had ever said “he’s wonderful on stage and in bed” with a goofy grin upon his face and Seungkwan judged him so hard).

On the contrary, Jisoo has never done anything that Seungcheol did. He indeed always lets Seungcheol touches him, but never once Seungkwan sees him initiating it. He always uses a simple ‘Seungcheol’ to address his boyfriend. He rarely says something nice about the dimpled boy (apart from that one time when Seungcheol having self-esteem issue because of a bee sting on his forehead and Jisoo reassured him with “you look handsome no matter what”). Hence, it feels like a one-sided love.

[Update #2] S is doubtful whether J even loves him in the first place. #StayStrongS #ThisShipIsWrecked #TheMakjangGameStillGoingStrong

“I love you, Seungcheol. I really do.” Jisoo’s voice is shaking as well. Seungkwan wishes he can just turn his back to face them, watching this makjang drama from a better angle. “It’s just that, my parents are homophobic. They will be so unhappy if they find out that I’m gay. I don’t want to make them unhappy. I don’t want to disappoint them for having me as their son. I just want to be a son that they can be prou-”

Jisoo’s words are cut by a beeping sound. Seungkwan assumes it’s coming from one of the couple’s phones. He bangs his head over the table, weeping silently. Just when more juicy stuff is about to be revealed, someone dares to interrupt. Whoever it is on the other line, they’re rude as hell. Can’t they pick another time to send a stupid text?

Two minutes have passed since that beeping sound came off and the couple still stays silent. Seungkwan gets bored waiting for them to speak again, so he decides to check Twitter to see how the other students react to this tragic news and how much of a mess Seungcheol and Jisoo’s shippers have become.

Seungkwan almost faints as he sees his timeline.

***

“I just want to be a son that they can be prou-” Jisoo hasn’t finished his line when he hears a beeping sound coming off from his phone, the name ‘Junhui’, the drama club’s president, flashing on its screen. He mouths “Junhui” to his curious boyfriend before checking out the incoming message.

From: Wen Junhui

Hey, is it true that you broke up with Seungcheol? What about the drama then? Do both of you still want to continue it? I really don’t want to put you two in an awkward position.

Jisoo’s eyebrow raise in confusion, having no idea what his friend is talking about. Here he is with his boyfriend practicing their drama script in a café and somehow Junhui thinks they break up. He then shows the nonsensical text to Seungcheol and his eyes almost pop out from his skull, mouth hanging open like a blowfish. It’s lucky he’s adorable, so he doesn’t look ridiculous wearing that expression.

To: Wen Junhui

Wait, what? No, we didn’t break up. Actually we’re practicing your drama script right now. Who told you that bull?

From: Wen Junhui

That freshman, Seungkwan, has been tweeting for fifteen minutes nonstop about how you two were fighting because your parents set you up with Nayeon. You should check Twitter right now. It’s crazy.

Jisoo has noticed Seungkwan sitting at the table next to theirs since they got here, but he never noticed that he has been overhearing their conversation. He finally logs on to his Twitter account and finds hundreds of people have mentioned him for the past fifteen minutes. People generally just ask whether the rumor is true or false, yet there are some annoying tweets like Yassss, @choiloveshong finally broke up with that peasant @hongjisoo!!! Stay away from my future husband, you freak!!! Jisoo just rolls his eyes.

To: Wen Junhui

There’s a part in your script where we fight because of Nayeon. We were just practicing it. Seungkwan must have mistaken it as a real fight.

From: Wen Junhui

Oh, yeah, I totally forgot about that. Sorry lols. I’ll help you fixing this situation then.

He then disclosures Junhui’s messages to Seungcheol, letting him know the real situation. The older of the two carefully jerks his head after he reads the messages, catching the loud mouth sitting exactly behind him, eyes focusing on his damn phone, probably still giving updates about their so-called fight on Twitter. Revenge needs to be done.

@faboolouzboi Hey, gossip boy, do you want to join me and @hongjisoo practicing our script? Seungcheol tweets along with a photo of their script.

Several seconds later @actorjunhui posts Calm down, my fellow earthlings. This is not the end of the world. The earth still rotates, the sun still rises from the east, and @choiloveshong and @hongjisoo are still together. @faboolouzboi has mistaken my latest drama script as a real-life situation. I’m sorry for causing this misunderstanding. Please anticipate this new project!

Jisoo and Seungcheol hear footsteps approaching and suddenly Seungkwan kneels in front of them. All eyes are now on them. This is a very uncomfortable fettle for the couple although they have stood on stage countless times. “I’m so sorry.” Seungkwan yells in panic, his orbs glistening with tears. “I’m sorry that I’ve overheard your conversation and posted it on Twitter. I regret doing that careless action. I promise I won’t do it anymore. Please forgive me.”

“You don’t have to kneel, Seungkwan. Please get up.” Seungcheol begs with an uneasy voice. People start to whisper with each other. If this continues, more bad rumors will be created. He has enough of rumors for today, so he doesn’t want to deal with any additional crap. He glances at his boyfriend, discovering that he also feels as uneasy as him.

The freshman finally gets up. Seungcheol pats his shoulder. “I forgive you, Seungkwan. Just promise me that you’ll never spread weird like this in the future. Rumors are poisonous, you know.”

Jisoo nods, adding. “Yeah, I forgive you too, Seungkwan. And please stop crying. It makes us look like some bad guys here.”

Jisoo grabs some tissues from his bag, offering them to Seungkwan. The younger boy takes them and gives him a small “thank you”. His voice and shoulders are still trembling. Seungcheol feels bad for humiliating the poor guy on Twitter. He quickly takes his phone and goes back to Twitter. “I’m sorry for my tweet too. I’m erasing it right now.”

Seungkwan whispers a “thank you” once more before Jisoo speaks again. “Seungkwan, you must be very tired right now. You can go home if you want to.”

With one last bow the freshman finally excuses himself, his head keeps drooping shamefully as he walks out of the café. When Seungkwan is out of their sights, the brunette scoots over to his boyfriend’s chair. “Honey, let’s take a wefie.”

Seungcheol is caught off guard by the younger male’s suggestion. Unlike himself, Jisoo is an introverted person. He feels unpleasant showing affection to his boyfriend in public. However, once they’re both alone, he can be as touchy and cheesy as him, giving him many kisses and calling him ‘honey’ or ‘my precious’. “Now? Are you sure?” Seungcheol asks, feeling unsure. Jisoo convinces him with an eager nod.

Five minutes later Jisoo changes his Twitter username to @hongloveschoi and replaces his profile picture with the photo they took just now. He also tweets @choiloveshong is forever my precious. None of you will ever have a chance to be with him. Just keep dreaming!

***

A/N: Yet another fail attempt to write crack fanfiction. I should stop doing this lmao. Thanks for reading. ^^