02: The Start

ID: Agent 61

---


 

“Yes, Sir. I will inform back you as soon as i can,” I turned off my phone, sighing. I don’t like having to answer his call right here. But i have to answer anyway whenever there’s a contact from him.

I took a breath and continue to walk to our meeting room. Returning to this room after a few days off feels like returning home.

 

But wait… I stopped myself as i held the doorknob. Why is it so loud inside? Intruder? With a raised eyebrow, i turn the knob silently.

 

“OI DINOSAUR THAT’S CHEATING!!”

“What did i do? I didn't do anything, Yoda~!!”

“I’m winning this, you two~!”

“YA, little dog!!! Wait for me!”

“OII! Mee too~!!!”

“No waaayy~”

 

Instead of facing an intruder like i had imagined, i just witnessed three puppies bickering at each other…

Hmm..

I found them amusing, really. All three of them might be special agents, trained to kill, trained spy, but i guess boys will still be boys…

They’re playing counter strike, and they’re using all three computers inside the room. Agent 4 with his own sound effects, Agent 61 moving here and there, dodging the bullets on the screen with his whole body, Agent 21 and his non-stop whining. And did I just heard them calling nicknames for each other? Wow, Sixty-one sure blends fast. It’s been another 3 months since Agent 61’s entrance. So far our team has been working really well. Our missions were carried out with our best performance. So far, he has proven himself.

 

Back to the scene before me. The three still hadn't notice my silent entrance, of course. You don't just doubt 'the shadow'. They’re all so into it that even my first cough were missed by their ears. So I cough a little louder.

Still no.

Shaking my head, i started walking towards them. All three computers were side by side, so i set my prey on one of them. Approaching the giant in the middle, Twenty-one was the first to notice me. He quickly exited his game and gave me a cheeky -oops-i-was-caught- smile. Then, Four did the same.

“Ya! YA! Where did you guys go!! Come on I’m winning this!” apparently one person is still so focused. Stopping right behind him, i coughed again.

“UAAAA!!!” Sixty-one paused his game, stood and turn to face me, all in less than half second. He look somewhat horrid, his right hand clutching to his heart. I couldn't held back my laughter, and so does agent Four and Twenty-one.

 

It was a good laugh, really, though 61 keep protesting about how surprised he was.

“But seriously, you three,” i took a breath from my laugh. “I’m telling Leader about this~” I teased, knowing One would be pissed. Who knows what penalty these three might get?

“Ya, ya! Come on~ Don’t be such a telltale, Princess,” agent 21 teased, knowing i don't like the nickname they gave me simply because I’m the only girl around.

“I told you not to call me that!” I huffed. “I’m SO gonna tell One!” I turn my back to make my way out of the room.

They must’ve some sort of telepathy or something cause all three cornered me against the wall; the giant 61 in front of me, his left hand resting on the wall above my head, the minions 4 and 21 on each side. I’m sorta trapped between all of them.

I sigh. This trick might work for other girls, but they should’ve known better that I’m no normal girl. I look up at Sixty-one, ready to throw my sarcasm at him.

But.

For a second my tongue was tied. Something in his eyes was glistening. Something so kind, soft, and pure. Something familiar, something i used to see. Something….

 

He blinks, then I snap back to myself, hoping that I wasn't out long enough for anyone of them to notice. Gently, I put my palm on his cheek. A tease. “Nice try, big guy,” I grinned, eventually pinching his cheeks.

“Ouch!”

“You should filter what these two taught you. They’re devious little devils sometimes,” i roll my eyes at the two beside me.

“Aw, I thought Yoda might charm you,” said Four, patting the giant’s shoulder.

“Maybe next time, Yoda,” I grinned and let myself out.

 

I guess no one noticed after all.

 

As i open the glass door, I saw Agent 94 grinning at me. “What?” i asked.

“Nothin’,” he looked past me, my head following where he’s looking. The three beagles were still chattering, laughing and hitting each other. No matter how you look at them, they seemed to be so in sync with each other, their relationship will grow so strong.

“We’ll have a hard time handling them, don’t we?” Ninety-four suddenly said.

“Nah, I don’t think so. There’s nothing we can’t do, remember?” I answer after a while, smiling and ruffling his hair, making him scoff in annoyance.

“Huft, I hate it when you do that.”

“Kk.. An eye for an eye, dongsaeng-ah,” I grinned, leaving him behind.

“Agent Twenty-seven?” he suddenly called after i took a few steps.

“Yes, agent Ninety-four?” I slowed down my pace without turning around.

“He likes you~” then I hear the glass door of our meeting room opened and closed. That little brat ran away inside. Tch.

 

Who likes me? Sixty-one?

 

I shook my head in disbelief. These boys, really...

 

What’s with Agent 61 anyway?

 

---

 



 

---

 

“Let's start, shall we?”

“Alright,” Leader stood up and knocked on the table twice, gaining all of our attention.

“Good evening, agents,” he greeted.

“Let’s start our briefing. First, you’re all aware of the recently built nuclear reactor in our country by the scientist dr. Kim, aren’t you?” we all nodded.

Of course, all secret services must’ve been aware of the leaked information. No one knows who and how the information spread, but by now every eyes are on that nuclear reactor.

“Right now, there are already a few people making a move on that reactor. The north, and a few terrorist organisation are already after the massacre machine. The government has worry a lot about the safety of both the machine and the doctor,” he briefed. “And we, were given the task to protect them… Or at least, what’s left of them,” he added a little later. Of course, all of us shot questioning looks at him. What’s left of them?

“Let Agent 10 brief you about this,” One sat down, letting Ten get the spotlight.

“So what we’re dealing here with is a brand new hydrogen bomb, EX09. You’re aware of AN602 a.k.a Tzar Bomba, right? It was the most the most powerful nuclear bomb humans ever created. Until recently.”

 

AN602. Tzar Bomba. Even the name gave me chills. It was created in Russia and was tested out in 1961. The power of 50 megaton of TNT. The blast could destroy even houses located 55km from ground zero. 55km. That’s more than twice the largest diameter of Seoul. It was also said that 100km from ground zero, you could still get a third degree burn. It was THE weapon of destruction. That is, until Agent 10 told us about this new bomb.

 

“This is the scale of Tzar Bomba’s explosion,” Agent 10 puts up a picture. I was right, more than twice the diameter of Seoul. “If Seoul were to be ground zero, the estimated number of death is 27 million people,” he continued. I could hear tongue clicking between us, amazed and bewildered. “Now this is the estimated size of EX09’s explosion, ” Ten puts up a bigger circle; almost twice the diameter of Tsar Bomba's explotion. “Estimated number of death… 40 million. With another 5 million injured. More than four fifth of all citizens of Korea,” By now, gasps were unavoided. This weapon can destroy a country. Literally.

“Now this weapon was build by dr. Kim along with a few other people. This is the full and complete form of the bomb. It’s about 10m in length and 2.5m in diameter, definitely not easy to hide. So in precaution, they have already separated the weapon to three parts, each hidden in three separate hiding places. We got the locations about a week ago,” Ten puts up a map, three locations far away from each other, far away from Seoul. Two were an unused warehouse, the other one looks like an old bunker.

“And this weapon can only be activated by this detonator,” he showed us a picture of a black suitcase that opens up to a screen and a few buttons. Typical detonator.

“This detonator is located here,” he zoomed in to the bunker. “On the guard of the creator’s team themselves.”

“Now here’s the problem. A few days ago, someone, somehow, managed to get some information of these locations and this one part was took away from us,” Agent 21 joins in and puts up a picture of one of the warehouse, now almost flat on the ground. Traces of explosions and destruction were everywhere.  “We suspected that the one responsible for this act is the North, with the help of a few acquaintances. You can read the details of this case here,” he handed each of us a file to read.

I took a few glances at the papers. The identity of those suspected to have taken a part of the weapon was still much unknown. One male and one female is all we know. This is definitely not good because it means we don’t know what and who we’re dealing with.

“We suspected that the part that was stolen was still in the South, as the part itself is not easily mobile. We’re still working for the exact location of the missing piece.” Agent 21 closed his explanations.

“And here’s what we’re gonna go,” Leader took place. “Agent 12 and agent 99, go to the destroyed warehouse, find anything that can help us identifying the people behind this. Agent 94 and agent 4, both of you would go to the other warehouse; Agent 61 and agent 27, you two to the bunker. Get as many information as you can about the location; what was the weakness of the location? How can we prevent anyone from taking it? Who is suspicious? How did the information of the location leak? Do we need to move it to a safer place? Where? How? Think of all that as you survey the location,”

 

I think I saw agent 61 and 94 grinning on my left. Or maybe it was just my mind.

 

“The four of you should go as soon as you can. If possible, get there by sunrise tomorrow,” Leader continued, looking at us that was assigned to protect the remaining pieces. “We’ll be here with all of you. If there’s any update, we would tell you as soon as possible. This is a really big mission we’re on. Never have we face such danger.”


 

Like always; stay alert, stay safe. Good luck, team.

 

 

---


 

“Agent 27!” i heard 61 called after we’re dismissed and i turn around.

“Hei. Uh.. I was wondering.. It was a two hours ride to our location, right?,”

“Yeah, why?”

“I was wondering if-.. If you would like for us to go t-together?” he stuttered a bit. What is this? He’s quite adorable.

“Are you offering me a ride, Sixty-one?” I smirked and raised an eyebrow.

“A-ah.. Yeah..” he rubbed his elbow, shy.

Hm.. Does he really like me? Like what 94 said? Oh come on, this happens with every new recruit. We definitely need some esterogen in this team! I can’t have every new recruit trying to hit on me… But he’s so cute right now, stuttering and shy but brave enough to ask me to join him.

“Okay!” I lightly said, deciding to go along aside from being polite.

“Really?! Ah! Thank you! Eh- I mean. Cool. Hehe,” he grinned. The giant acted like a kid. Amazing how different he can be between the field and here. “Ah! But where do you live, 27?”

“Can’t tell you, it’s a secret~! Pick me up in three hours, right here,” I politely smiled. Agent 61 seemed a little surprised and disappointed, but he then smiled and promised to pick me up in front of our office building before excusing himself.

Why the secretive acts? I can’t tell you, but I just don’t like having people at my place. I’d like to keep my personal life to myself. After all, a secret makes a woman, woman. Right?


 

---

 

I headed back to my place and surprised to find a familiar car already parked in front of my door. A black C62 Mercedes-AMG. Well well. There’s no need to worry about who’s inside, about who’s waiting for me. I knew it was him.

So after parking my own Porsche 911, I approach the car and knocked on the driver’s window.

“You’re bold enough to show up here, eh?” I bent down and asked as soon as he pull down the glass, not waiting for a ‘hi’ or ‘hello’.

“Oh, come on. You’ll miss me in a few days~” he teased, in which my finger successfully landed a flick on his forehead.

“Now, tell me. What do you want?” I crossed my arm against his car.

“Nothing. Just wanted to say good luck for this mission… I-I have a really bad feeling about this one.”

This guy, really. Despite his cocky attitude, he’s still such like a little brother to me. It’s heartwarming to have someone worrying about you, doesn't it? But in this case, i guess i should worry about him more.

“Hey, i told you not to worry, didn't I?” i pinch his cheeks, in which he instantly push my hands away. “You’ll be fine. Just like what you did recently!”

“But i screwed it up last time!” he banged his hands on the steering wheel.

“Hey come on now, it wasn’t that bad. it  was still a success, wasn't it? We get what we wanted. We’re still in our places, our roles. Gwencanha,” i patted his shoulder. He inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly, trying to control himself.

“Off you go now, if you have nothing else to do. I need to pack my stuff,” i said to him after he loosen up a bit.

“Ah, ne. This is for you,” he handed me a brand new handphone. “We were instructed to throw the old one away, destroy it somehow.”

“Thanks.. Dangerously close to discovering the old one, aren’t they, until we were given a new one..?” I took it and slip it to my pocket.

“Told you it was my fault. I’ll blew us up if i kept making mistakes like this!” he grip the steering wheel harder, his teeth gritted.

“Hey, don’t say that, alright?” I gently lifted his head. “Maybe you’re just unlucky. I know you could do things perfectly! Besides, i’ll be here to back you up.”

“Thank you, really, for trusting me,” he half smiled.

“That’s what i always do, don’t i? Kk.. Well, see you soon, alright?”

“Yeah. Take extra care, okay?”

“I will. You too,” I bid him goodbye. He raised the heavily filmed glass and drove away.

 

It was really rare of him to be this anxious. He was known to be the boldest between us all, so seeing him worried like this is a warning for myself too. But i have to admit, this is a really really big one. Our lives were on the line. Plus, the new agent is in the mission. I haven't get the time to know more about him too much. He could be a threat or a benefit, i would have to figure out later.

 

Who was that man in the car, you asked? Well try and find out yourself.

 

I took a deep breath and scan my surrounding. Only after i am sure i’m safe, i open the door of this lonely house.


 

---

 

Yup. A house. Not a home.

They say a home is where the heart is. I don’t have a heart anymore, so i guess i don’t have a home.

This is just a place where i sleep, a place to put my body to rest.

 

I made my way to my room and change to something more comfortable than this shirt and trousers. A simple t-shirt with some jogging pants was the decision i made before i made myself a simple dinner.

Packing my stuff was not a big thing. Being an agent for a quite long already, i know what to bring and what not. My luggage has become smaller and the time i took to pack has become shorter.

Having some time and space left, i went around the house, thinking that i might as well bring something else with me that i don't necessarily need. Recalling how the man just now reacted to this mission, i kinda feel anxious too.

 

I open my drawer and find a small butterfly pendant that has been sitting idle since the day i settle in this place. The pendant was beautiful, actually. But i don’t wear it anymore. It reminded me too much about my past. The pain and hell i’ve been through. The heartless and hideous things i’ve done. Such contrast to the fragile and innocuous butterfly. I smiled to the irony. This pendant was my grandmother's, at least that’s what they told me. I’ve worn it for as long as i can remember, but took it off the day One took me in. It was like a new start for me, so i willingly let go of my past. I took the pendant out and circle it around my neck.

Never forget where you came from.

 

I search deeper inside my drawer, where a silver colored scarf laid. It was a gift. The first gift he has ever brought for me. Lets just say he is someone special. The same guy that met me just now. He once or twice complained about why i don't wear his gift,but it is just not my thing to wear a scarf. I really don't know why. He sulked quite badly as i remembered. Feeling mischievous, i took it out and packed it along with my clothes. He’ll be surprised if he ever sees me bringing this thing.

 

Wait! His eyes! Yes! The way he looked at me and the way Agent 61 looked at me was similar. Maybe that’s why it was familiar. They’re different, but also somewhat similar. Huh... Too bad i barely see those kind of look from him anymore. But at least he’s taking care of himself. And i’m taking care of myself.

 

Right.

 

Changing to something more appropriate, i took my step out of the house and set myself to Central, where i promised Agent 61 i would wait.


 

---

 
 
 
 
 



Doesnt Agent 27 seem very interenting?
Who is she actually? 
Who's that she called? Who's that in the car?
What's her actual identity?
What does Agent 61 has in him?

I hope you're all curious!

 



a/n: I'm so busy and stressed out lately that i really don't have time to think and write even when i have the outline of the story in my head T.T i just write as a hobby, something to kill time and to divert my attention from stress.. that someone might actually like what i write was just an honor :) I'll keep writing, but i can't promise about time.. Happy reading!