Archive #2: Inbox of dr. Kwon Soonyoung's Email (26/12/2015 10:45 AM)

24/Moonchild

Sender: Lee Dokyeom

Subject: Account for Christmas Day's Incident

Date: 26 December 2015, 08:46:21 AM GMT +9

Receiver: Kwon Soonyoung

 

To

dr. Kwon Soonyoung

Chief of Internal Medicine Departement

Doyeo Public Hospital

 

 

I am sorry if I’m bothering dr. Kwon. My name is Lee Dokyeom, one of intern doctors in Doyeo Public Hospital. I was initially going to send a brief consultation message via messenger application. However, I thought it would be explained better if I wrote an email lengthy letter. This is regarding an incident that happened during Christmas Day at ER of Doyeo Public Hospital. I was one of doctor who took the shift during the time of accident, which is happened during night. I was accompanied with nurses, paramedics, along with clerkships who having night shift as well.

 

The accident took place right after a black out, around 11:00 PM. After the electricity resolved, I was surprised with the fact that, all patients suddenly having seizures. It was mostly generalized seizures, including absant and tonic clonic. Our team decided to administrated stesolid and making sure the airway was obstacles-free and adequate. It lasted for around five minutes each patients. When they resolved, all of them still conscious, most of them doesn’t had any difficulites in comunicating, at least after few minutes of confusion. There was no altered level of concusious in any patients post seizures.

 

It was happened to all patients in ER room, which is in my humblest opinion is weird. There were all types of patient, ranging from gastroenterology diseases to vehicle accident. Some of them only came to ER to get his gastritis recovered. I initially thought other hidden reason or trigger that caused seizures, maybe some patients had epilepsy, tetanus or in kid, fever seizures. I thought the black out could trigger some patient with medical history of tetanus. However some of tetanus clinical appearance was lacking (trismus, signs of infection). To say that any of them actually had epilepsy either was complicated, since most of them told us that that was their first seizures experiences. Our team performed any necessary neurological physical exam to the patients, the result was there was no weakened motoric power, no pathological reflex and no increased physiological reflex. Our team decided to assign CT scan examination to patients, and the result still is, normal. There was also possibility that they had hypoglycemia, however the profile wasn’t really fit, it was too sudden. But still, our team insisted to performed another blood routine test. We were surprised with the result. All of them get a lowered Hb. Some of patients already had lower Hb so when we did another check, it became even lower. Their glucose blood profile was normal.

 

We also realized one weird thing that almost uniformed with each patients. There was a scar at their neck. The scar was round, has diameter of 1-3 mms and depth around 5-10 mms. When we asked when they get this scar, most of them said that they get it just know. I know this is getting to be a bit non sense, we almost thought that they had some ‘ideas’ but we were surprised at how uniformed their ‘ideas’ were: someone with a face of old painting which is beautiful, long hair, tall and covered in black shadow, come to them and bite their neck during the black out, which also weird because the appearance of the scars was fit if it was bitten by canine. They felt extreme pain, a burning sensasion that they described as it could be the end of their life. They however, as soon as they recovered after seizures, didn’t feel any pain on their neck.

 

Our team decided to took observation for a day. Some of the patients indeed needed to be administrated to hospital for their initial diseases. But some of patients who doesn’t had indiciation to be administrated, we decided to had one day observation. We were quite surprised because they were managed to had activity without any problems. There wasn’t any malaise that could be caused by lowered Hb. Since we had no other indication for observation, we decided to let this patients to go home.

 

We were quite confused because what kind of seizures that happened in sudden onset that caused lowered level of Hb, along with unexplained uniformed account regarding what they see during black out. We already contacted Neurology Departement,  Physiatrist and while we waited brief explanation, I decided to consulted this matter to Dept. Internal Medicine. I humbly expected this letter could help took decision regarding this event.

 

Thank you for the attention. Best regards.

 

 

Lee Dokyeom

Intern Doctor