..1..

Fragile

The final bell chimed bringing relief to the students from the long hours. Classrooms quickly emptied and corridors packed. “”Hey have a good weekend!’ “See you on Monday!” people shouted quick goodbyes to each other before dispersing. “Yeah you too!” I called out patting their backs and flashing smiles repetitively as we walk past each other. I stopped waking when I saw him standing at the end of the hallway hugging his books as he tried to weave past the students to get to his locker. “Min Yoongi!” I shouted waving my hands and his head turned towards replying back with a smile and a wave. Beads of sweat soaked his head yet he still wore his jacket on. Before I can even run to him, drop, slide. Someone knocked over his textbooks purposely. Yoongi didn’t need to turn his head to know who it was. His face instead turned expressionless. I ran over to him as he lowered down to pick up the books. Slide. The jerk kicked them further. Push, drop. Another guy tripped him over. “Back off!” I stood in front of Yoongi standing against their leader of the pack. The group snickered and walked away laughing and one managed to pat my head as they walked passed me. My hands curled in a ball as my eyes focused on Yoongi. His shoulders were slumped and his brown hair covered his face and slowly he reached out to grabs his books. I loosen my grip and helped him up. “Ignore them I swear one day-“ Yoongi hugged me stopping me from saying anymore. I hugged him back tightly. “Thankyou as always” he sighed breaking contact walking to his locker.

“Why don’t you move schools? That will stop it” I said leaning on the locker next to his nodding to my classmates as they walked past. Yoongi sighed again pulling his bag out. “Chaerul you know the answer. I like this school” “Yeah getting kicked around as a body bag, negatives words thrown at you and everyone poking fingers at you. Who doesn’t like getting treated crap?!” Yoongi closed his locker lowering his head. “I’m tired of arguing you with this. See you next week” he turned away walking to the doors. I was not letting this discussion off again and ran beside him. “I know you’re tired of this but I’m tired of it as well. And I’m tired of you from running away when we get serious about this” I grabbed his hands stopping him from going any further. Yoongi sighed and turned his head away from me. “It’s just I can’t leave this place cause then I’m leaving something special behind” I loosen my grip and smiled at him. “Hey I’ll be fine. Knowing you going to a better place makes me happy” “Yeah but I won’t feel fine about it” Yoongi muttered and messed my hair. Walking away signalling he didn’t want to talk anymore. “I’ll leave with you then” I said carelessly and he halted. “Chaerul you can’t do that. Everyone loves you here and if you leave they will hate me more for it” he said and walked out the door.

It was Thursday and Yoongi was away again. One week and four days straight. It wasn’t unusual if he was absent it happened on regular basis that no one cares because everyone knew why. He was home waiting for his wounds to heal. Just enough that it will leave his skin coloured. I couldn’t understand why he was treated that way. Why everyone hated him but like everyone said I was loved by everyone that I wouldn’t understand. I was too nice to everyone that I couldn’t see it. One thing I guess people avoided him was because rumours of him having criminal records but they were lies. How do I know,  because I became a friend to him. Someone who he can tell his problems and secrets. Know the truth of these fabricated lies but no one believed because I was seen to be too naïve.  Someone that can say sweet words so he can move on and watch him suffer. I tried to clear his thoughts but as we grew their bullying gets worse. No matter how many times I sticked to him, he managed to get bruises when I disappear for a bit. This time was the longest absence record he had. “Hope you can come tomorrow” I whispered lying my head on the table as the teacher continued babbling on about some history facts.

The bell chime and students rushed out of the classrooms itching to party for the weekends and to my luck he came today even though it was the last day of the week at least I managed to see him. “Yoongi” I tapped his shoulder as he packed his books in his locker. “It’s Friday wanna go somewhere today?” Yoongi turned his head but to my surprise it didn’t show a single scar or bruise for once I saw a clear pale face and it looked flawless. He was actually quite good looking under those bruises. “Wow you look good today” I muttered then I brushed my hand on his face. “Wow it’s so smooth! I’m jealous” I laughed.  Yoongi furrowed his eyebrows. “In this kind of weather?” he asked ignoring my comment. “We’ll go indoors. Like a café.” I shrugged. Yoongi shook his head. “You know I hate you spending money for me besides I need to see the teacher now so you can head home first” “I’ll come with you then” I wrapped my hand around his arm. “No need. I just need to ask him for my grades and you know it’s embarrassing for you to hear-” “I get it. Say no more. I’ll just wait at the gates I’ll walk you home” I slid my hands off him. “You don’t need to” “I want to”. Yoongi smiled shaking his head. “It’s going to take awhile” “Then I’ll wait. Now better get going so we can leave sooner” I patted his back before skipping away. “Ye...Yeah…the sooner the better” he muttered under his breath brushing his clammy hands on his legs before slowly making his way.

 

It has been half an hour now. And the rain started to drizzle but I didn’t care. I like the rain. It feels refreshing standing there but half an hour of pacing around the gates I gave up and decided to looks for him. Clomp, clomp, squeak. My wet shoes made sounds which echoed down the corridors. Splash. I stepped on something like a puddle and looking at my feet my eyes grew wide. Red…A faint trail of it. My heart stopped for a moment hoping it wasn’t who I think it was. I quickly followed it. My throat turned dry, eyes blurred as the chill air was stinging my face. My heartbeat dropped when I took a step outisde and slowly walk to the little crowd behind the school shed praying that it wasn't him.

=======================================================================================================================

If you have read this far, thankyou for giving my story a chance to be read. don't forget to comment! 

-Saranghae