Mostly Like Marriage

You Smell Like Sweets and Marriage

Jungkook continued commenting on a friend’s picture on his cell phone as Taehyung went on and one about the cashier at the bakery. Apparently his good friend was madly in love with “the loveliest, cutest, most perfect” bakery cashier to ever live. The weird part that confused Jungkook though: the cashier was a guy.

“And then when he handed me my change, our hands touched a little!” Taehyung sighed as Jungkook laughed at a meme. “Are you listening to me?!”

Jungkook pocketed his phone and rolled his eyes. “You know, I think this might actually be your 17th time telling me this story.”

“It’s important!” Taehyung whined. They were making their way to the bakery so that Jungkook could meet the man Taehyung described as his future wife. “It’s the story of how I met my future kids’ future mother.”

Jungkook simply stared as his friend blankly. “You are one strange dude.”

Upon entering the bakery, Taehyung glanced about, ignoring the delicious smells of fresh breads and desserts, looking for one thing – that smile. Whenever he talked about his newfound love he always made sure to mention that bright, pure smile plucked straight from heaven and placed onto the gentlest little flower to walk the Earth.

Jungkook scratched the back of his neck, a little embarrassed at by his friend’s obvious purpose.

“There he is!” Taehyung shouted, pointing at a small body that was struggling to reach the top shelf of a showcase.

At that moment the body turned around and that smile was aimed in the two friends’ direction.

Jungkook’s arms dropped to his sides and his mouth hung slightly ajar. The cashier, who was so short that his apron went significantly past his knees, shined brighter that the store lights, the sides of his eyes crinkling in the prettiest way Jungkook had ever seen.

“It’s you!” The cashier chimed, waving Taehyung over. “Come here a bit! I could use your-”

In a flash, Taehyung was beside the cashier, causing the shorter man to let out an adorable little giggle.

“Could you grab that doll? We change her dress every season,” the worker explained.

Taehyung didn’t hesitate to reach up to the toy, but his fingers tapped rather than grabbed it, pushing the doll further back onto the shelf.

“Oh no,” the cashier pouted. The way his bottom lip stuck out made Taehyung’s heart skip a beat. “I’ll just go get the stool.”

Jungkook felt like a blur to even himself, leaping up and pulling the doll from the shelf then falling to the floor in a heap of regret and awkwardness.

“Are you okay?!” The cashier shouted, kneeling down beside Jungkook and resting the younger man’s head on his lap.

Jungkook stared up at the angel, sure that the fall had killed him. That voice, that sweetness, those eyes. He sighed and held up the doll then said, “Hi, I’m Jungkook.”

The cashier’s jaw went slightly slack at the weird response, then he laughed lightly, taking the doll and saying, “I’m Jimin.”

They left the store, munching on custard bread given to them as reward for their hard work.

“Jimin!” Taehyung breathed out, looking to the sky. “Jimin!” He shouted. “His name is Jimin! What a cute name! A cute name for a cute person! What did you think? Wasn’t he precious?”

Jungkook stared the ground, took a bite of his bread, chewed and swallowed, then said, “I like him.”

“No,” Taehyung replied.

“What do you mean ‘no?’”

“I saw him first!”

“How old are you?”

“You can’t like him, he’s mine!”

“But the way he looked at me… it’s destiny!”

“Destiny my !”

And their bickering went on all the walk home over the the loveliest, cutest, most perfect bakery cashier to ever live.