True Winner

Me vs You
Round One
            Students slammed their locker shut. Their feet ran towards the quad where students were starting to crowd around the raised platform in Big Hit High School. Up on the platform, seven male students, known as the Bangtan Boys consisting of Kim Seokjin, Min Yoongi, Kim Namjoon, Jung Hoseok, Park Jimin, Kim Taehyung, and Jeon Jungkook, lazily took a seat on the raised cemented bench around the stage.
            “There she is,” students whispered amongst themselves.
            The tension was slowly killing everyone. Time was ticking like a watch running out of battery.
            A smile curved on his perfect small lips when he saw his opponent being pushed forward by her three friends: Lee Minji, Han Chancy, and Park Soomin. He could tell she wasn’t fancying what was going to happen by the way she unconsciously rolled her eyes. 
            “Just give me the damn rules already,” he kept his innocent smile despite her foul language.
            He knew perfectly well she was avoiding his gaze. Her head turned east, west, north, south, up, down, left, right, anywhere but at him. From the start, he knew it was going to be a nerve-wracking match between them two—the most loved boy and the I-got-a-problem-with-everything girl.
            She tapped her feet to lessen the butterflies forming in her stomach as she crossed her arms. She could have sworn if he didn’t hurry, she would have said something rude.
            Saving her , he spoke, “Are you talking to me, Oh Youngni?”
            She dropped her crossed arms to her side, what the heck? He raised one of his eyebrow indicating he got her attention—particularly for her to look at him in the eyes.
            Shoot. Youngni realized, he just succeeded.
            “Seems like it’s me,” he walked forward to the end of the stage and sat down in front of her.
            “Round One, soccer match.”
            “Cool,” she said and was ready to take off.
            “I’m not done explaining,” she stopped sighing to herself.
            “One on one.”
            “You said that already.”
            “No rules. Play however we want,” she nodded. “In the soccer field with everyone as an audience.”
            “I think I know that.”
            He smiled, “see you afterschool on Friday in the soccer field.”
 
            Youngni gripped onto her backpack strap as her three friends walked side by side with her. After the announcement, the four walked home together since they lived in the same neighborhood.
            “You excited?” Minji nudged Youngni’s shoulder, “cause I surely am.”
            “Why don’t you play then?”
            “You’re the one that doubt his talents.”
            “Did not.”
            “So you’re saying that Jeon Jungkook has talents?” Minji gripped onto her side bag strap exchanging looks with Chancy and Soomin.
            “I don’t care if he has talents or not. That has nothing to do with me,” Youngni frustrating had to explain herself more than a thousand of times to her friends.
            “Why are you getting mad?” Chancy wondered.
            “Because…Just because…” Youngni wanted to punch her friend for not understanding.
            “Good luck though. I hope you win,” Soomin cheered.
            “I know I will win,” Youngni gritted her teeth, imagining herself defeating Jungkook.
           
            The following day she was determined to practice hard afterschool. She was going to show Jungkook that she is capable of beating him. The thought of him losing and failing once made her smile like an idiot. Especially, if he was to lose against her.
            “Morning, Youngni,” Youngni looked behind finding Kim Taehyung.
            Though Jungkook could be annoying at times, Youngni found Taehyung to be the exact opposite.
            “Hi, what’s up?” Youngni greeted with a wide smile.
            “You know if you need tips for soccer asking Jungkook for help isn’t a bad idea?”
            Youngni immediately frowned, “You’re here to only say that?”
            “What?” Taehyung was surprised by her reaction, “I was trying to help out.”
            “Taehyung, he’s my opponent. I’m supposed to go against him. Why ask him for help?”
              “The rules is…there’s no rule. You can play however you like beside it’s one on one in the field. How you prepare for it doesn’t matter,” he pointed.
            Youngni shrugged her shoulders not getting his point.
            “What I mean is…if you practice with Jungkook you might be able to know his weakness and you might have a chance of winning.”
            “So you’re saying I have no chance of winning?”
            “That’s not what I mean.”
            “Why don’t you teach me instead?” Youngni suggested, “You should know how he plays right?”
            “Okay. I’ll see you after school in the field.”
 
            Great. Practice with Taehyung sounded ten times better. She might get through the week quickly. To be honest, this competition was something she looked forward to. Winning against him for once, she would like to experience such a feeling.
            She changed into her physical education uniform, a black t-shirt with Big Hit logo and a regular black gym pant. She dragged the bag of soccer balls into the middle of the soccer field. She laid down on the field waiting for Taehyung.
            “Took you forever,” Youngni opened her eyes about to rant to Taehyung on how long it took him.
            Instead she saw her opponent, Jungkook, in his P.E. uniform with another bag of soccer balls.
            “What are you doing here?” she questioned, doubting the situation.
            “Practice. Don’t I need to practice too? I have a scary opponent,” he smiled.
            She raised an eyebrow, “you’re making fun of me?”
            “I did?”
            “This is my practice place, not yours,” she diverged.
            “Learn how to share.”
            “Not with you,” Youngni grabbed onto her bag.
            “Taehyung asked me to tell you that he’s sorry…he forgot he had something to do.”
            “Something to do? What a great liar?” Youngni scoffed at his lame excuse.
            “Maybe he does,” Jungkook defended his friend.
            “Shouldn’t have told me he was going to come,” Jungkook could tell she was getting furious.
            “What are you getting mad about?” he questioned in curiosity, “if you’re mad that he’s not here to train you. I can.”
            Youngni glared at him, “are you stupid?”
            “What did I say wrong?” Youngni wasn’t sure if he was plain dumb or not.
            “Asking help from my enemy?”
            “Ouch?” he scowled, “enemy? Do you really see me as an enemy?”
            Youngni turned away not sure if she had the answer to his question. Perhaps, she did but didn’t want to reply.
           
            Jungkook watched as she strolled away to the center of the field. Youngni unleashed the balls as they scattered. Honestly, she didn’t even know how to practice. She stared at the balls as some still bumped away. Placing her hands on her hip she looked to the goal. She pressed her lips into a thin line thinking of just lining the balls in a line and kicking it into the goal. She furrowed her eyebrows together before gathering the balls into a straight line.
            Starting from ball number one, she kicked. It flew nowhere closed to the goal. She sighed, not knowing she was that horrible. She immediately turned to look for Jungkook, in case he was waiting for the perfect opportunity to make fun of her.
            He was nowhere in sight.
            “Dumb boy,” she mumbled. Perhaps, just maybe, she wanted him to stay.
            She turned back to the empty field.
            Onto the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and last one. It was her last shot to score.
            She couldn’t suppressed her excitement as it landed perfectly in the middle straight through the net.
            “Yas…” she threw her fist in the air.
            Her smile disappeared the moment she realized she had to gather all the balls she kicked, scattered in different places. After she growled a few times, she forced herself to collect the balls.
            She counted and recounted, “Where’s the last one?”
            Youngni couldn’t figure until she saw Jungkook holding the last ball walking towards her.
            She didn’t say anything and he stopped at a distance.
            “Just once,” he opened his mouth, “I’ll kick and you block.”
            Youngni grinned, “Deal.”
            She ran to the goal and positioned herself comfortably. Jungkook beamed as he set the ball to the ground.
            “Just once,” he screamed.      
            She was nervous but she was so ready. She squat a bit and focused. Jungkook looked at the ball then at her before positioning himself.
           
            Within a second, the ball floated in mid-air. Youngni widened her eyes, it came at such a fast paced—it zoomed passed her. She blinked unbelievable that the ball fell perfectly in between the goal net. The first try. Youngni pulled herself together and looked at Jungkook, who was already approaching her.
            His wide smile woke her up. She snapped out of her dazed mode and clicked her tongue—that was nothing. She let it slide. He didn’t actually score.
           
            Just like that, it was Friday, the day of the first match. Youngni was so ready, but so nervous. Her heart was beating crazily and her stomach seemed upset. Her three friends cheered her on as they were in the middle of the soccer field with Jungkook and his crew at the opposite end. Everyone back out of the field leaving Youngni and Jungkook facing each other with a soccer ball placed down on the line in between them.
            “For yourself,” Jungkook smiled, as Namjoon, who volunteered to be the referee, blew the whistle.
            Youngni was a second late as he already kicked the ball in favor to his side. She quickly ran after him and tried to steal the ball back. Each time she stuck out her foot to block the ball from him he stopped it and gently kicked it elsewhere. She puffed before chasing after the ball. Jungkook was filled with excitement. He could have ran straight to the goal and score, but that wasn’t where the fun was at. He slowed down and waited for her to catch up.
            Jungkook thought by now she should have caught up, but she was nowhere in his sight. He stopped the ball. That minute she showed up and stole the ball from him. He smiled, he should have known better. He watched as she headed straight to the goal without a second thought.
 
            “Is she stupid?” Minji growled. They all sat on the benches with every other students.
            “Why?” Chancy was taken aback.
            “There’s no rule why don’t she just push him and pick up and ball and run. She’s not a slow runner.”
            “He’s stupid too,” Taehyung said, “he could of have kicked from where he was and score.”
            The three friends of Youngni narrowed their eyes at the Bangtan Boys sitting across from them.
            “I don’t get why they’re so stubborn. There’s no rule, yet they play as if it’s a real game with restrictions,” Yoongi crossed his arms watching as they refused to break a rule.
           
            Youngni knew if she didn’t try to kick from where she was at, he would caught up and steal the ball. Decided, she kicked and the ball flew above the goal.
           
Another ball was placed in the middle. Youngni was determined to kick the ball in favor to her side. Jungkook easily let her snatched the ball away. And there she goes again heading straight to the goal. She could hear the boo-ing from the crowd of female students, but she could care less. Their Jungkook was just going to lose…and they couldn’t accept that fact.
            He ran passed her shooting her a warning before diving forward to steal the ball. She sneered at him as she was ready to show her trick. He came forward and she managed to trick him once before he was able to steal the ball.
            Youngni hissed, she didn’t know how long this was going to take.
           
Who cares about the real deal now. Taking in a breath, she ran forward and pushed him to the side. He was astonished by her sudden action, but a hint of light lit up in his eyes. It was about time.
            Youngni picked up the ball and ran. He chased after her and tried to pull the ball out of her grip. She refused to let him win and threw the ball away. Now it was a matter of who got to the ball first.
 
            “This is going to take all day,” Jimin leaned back as the other member copied.
            “Finally, it’s about time she does that,” Minji breathed.
 
            Youngni used up all her energy and ran side by side with him. They both stuck out their foot to kick the ball. He saw that dissatisfaction in her face and that determination to win. He shook his head and exerted a little more force than he intended to on the ball. The ball flew back in his direction and he rushed forward kicking the ball straight to the goal.
            She was disappointed. For the rest of the game, she played foully. Her tactic was pushing, tripping, shoving, stealing, and pulling, but he still managed to score.
“Jungkook wins,” Namjoon announced as Youngni lay dead on the ground. She was dead tired.
 
Round Two
            “Round Two, Basketball match,” Youngni recalled Jungkook telling her.
            She didn’t want to practice. Practicing was boring. She practiced a few times with her three friends and it was just a matter of shooting the ball into the hoop. Too boring. She couldn’t survive another round.
            She sat in the basketball court inside the gym, imagining what the outlook of the game would turn out like.
            “Why do you want to win so much?” Jungkook slid in the seat next to her.
            Youngni leaned back and glared at him. Now he appeared as he liked. And did he think she would really tell him the answer to that question?
            He placed his elbows onto his knees as he leaned forward with his hand clasped together.            
            “I’m going to win the next round,” Youngni declared.
            Jungkook shook his head.
           
            The audience for this round was only the friends of Jungkook and Youngni. Inside the gym, Youngni and Jungkook were in their gear ready for another round of intense fighting.
            Once Namjoon blew the whistle he threw the ball in the air and Youngni didn’t even bother to fight for the ball as she knew she had no advantage.
            He grabbed the ball and dribbled to the hoop and shoot straight from a three-pointer.
            She scowled at him before the ball was passed to her. Once the ball was in her hand, she wrapped her hand tightly around the ball and travel forward ignoring Jungkook who was catching up from behind. Not once did she dribbled.
            She dared to try a three-pointer as him. Youngni had the ball in her palms as she focused at the hoop. She bent her knees and was about to shoot when both of his hands placed onto top of her holding the ball and her in place. They were both holding onto the ball in the midair as if it was their champion. She immediately turned a shade of red at the contact he initiated.
            Youngni looked up at him. She was determined to win the ball. She tried to pull the ball as hard as she could. She kept tugging the ball back and it finally slipped out of his hold, but also hers. Jungkook saw her tumbling backward. Saving two at once, he extended his hands out to hold the ball falling behind her and closed his arms to help pulled her back in place. Simply, she was trapped in his awkward embrace.
            His face showed anxiousness. He was concerned. She could have badly hurt herself if she did fell backward from the harsh force of her tugging.
            “Are you okay?” he breathed, relieved that he was able to help her.
            She was speechless. He was awfully too close. There was no room left for her to breath. One inch forward and the tip of her nose would touch his chest.
            His words floated midway. The only thing on her mind was how close they were.
            He sighed when he saw her blank expression. He took it as she was shocked from falling backward. In reality, she was speechless how close they were.
           
            “Uh…it’s like an hour already,” Soomin whined at the statue-like Jungkook and Youngni.
            “For real,” Minji second the thought.
            “I bet she’s enjoying it,” Jimin laughed as the members exchanged at hand shake in agreement.
           
            Youngni figured he wouldn’t move so she welcomed herself to take the first action. She pushed him away causing the ball in his hand to drop. He caught the tinge of redness from her cheek. For sure, he knew for a fact, it wasn’t from the intensity of playing basketball.
            The moment the ball bounced from the ground, she turned her attention and chased after it. In that short moment, he was able to figure out the reason why she pushed him. No doubt.
            He chased after her, but she already threw the ball in the air. As always, she tried from a three-pointer again.
 
Round Three
            His explanation for the last round struck her mind like lightening. It didn’t even matter that she had lost the second round as well.
            Round Three.
            As Jungkook said, “Pass You Match. Only you and I in the soccer field.”
Chills were sent down her spine as she recalled his specific words including that smirked planted on his face. She knew he had something evil in mind.
            For this round she had no plan to practice. Plus, she didn’t even know how to practice as he said it was a game that they just had to pass through each other and run to the finished line from the opponent’s side. Basically, like flag football. Got the ball, run to the goal, and you’re save. But for this game, what she needed to do was…pass him, then run to the finish line and she would be done. She would win. But the difference was there was no flag to pull, they had to tap the sticker placed at the back of the person’s shirt. Then everything would start from the middle again.
 
            That Friday, her mind, her body, her everything were all tangled and tensed. She wasn’t functioning. At the thought of just him and her made her uncomfortable, but she couldn’t show that she was scare. That was like a sign of admitting defeat. That would be the death of her. Really, she didn’t put her all in this game to lose.
            Minji, Chancy, and Soomin cheered her on as they threw their fist in the air. Youngni flashed a quick smile before passing them and walking down the hallway to the empty soccer field. The rest of the Bangtan Boys wished her luck.
 
            Jungkook was standing in the middle of the soccer field. The same place where they started this whole competition. Recalling what was different. No audience. No friends. No nothing. Just themselves.
            Jungkook threw a smile on as he saw her approaching him. Youngni told herself, it was either she woman up and win or act all uncomfortable and back out. The second choice was not an option she would consider twice. So, there she was in front of Jeon Jungkook, her opponent.
 
            “Like I said, if you win one of the three rounds, you win this competition,” Jungkook grinned as if knowing she would lose.
            “I still have this chance,” she rolled her eyes, annoyed by his conceited attitude.
            “There’s a secret to winning,” Jungkook spoke grabbing her full attention, “You just have to play for yourself.”
            Youngni tsk-ed at his lame advice, “If I am not playing for myself, then who am I playing for?”
            Jungkook hoped, that from her previous rounds she would learned. Though it had the slightest chance she would, he would still hope. There is still that .01%.
           
            “For yourself,” he told her again.
            And the game started. He wasn’t in the rush as she was, so he was just on guard in case she would run passed him.
            She ran to her left and he went to her left. After a quick moment, it was his turn to push her back to the middle and closer to his finish line, which was on her side. He purposely ran closer to her making her back away. He dodged her a few times throwing some tricks at her. He ran a step to the right, but pulled himself back and went to the left. His sharp movement made her failed a few times. But she didn’t fail to catch onto his tricks. She learned the way he swiftly changed side.
            To her disadvantage, they were awfully closed to the finish line on her side. If she failed to block one of his trick, she would lose. It would have been too short of a run for her to be able to tap his back.
 
            She watched the expression of his face changed thousands of times as he fooled, she would said, with her. Just then the perfect plan came to her mind. No rules, right? She could play however she like. Now he should get a taste of his own medicine.
            Jungkook saw the change in her expression. Though he noticed it, he wasn’t sure what was on her mind. When a perfect smirk landed on her lips, he couldn’t contain the excitement building inside him.
            Youngni gave him a quick smile when she saw him looked at her. He caught her stare and raised his eyebrow telling her to bring on whatever she had.
            She didn’t hesitate to do so. She charged forward pushing him backward and immediately moved away before he was able to extend his hand to tap her back. She stuck her tongue quickly at him before diving forward to the line. He chuckled shaking his head before chasing after her. He sprinted in front of her blocking her way. They were back to the start—the middle.
            The smile was still visible on her face. He clearly enjoyed the sight before him. Youngni didn’t waste no time as she charged forward to him. Now it was her turned to use his trick against him. She learned the swift sharp knife-like movement from him. Though he was fast, she paid extra attention to the tiniest detail he was doing. And that moment she succeed in tricking him to run to the right, she dashed forward to the left.
            As she passed him, he didn’t fail to catch that glimpse of glittered in her eyes. She clearly succeeded. She was enjoying the competition as much as he was. He composed himself and chased after her. In no time, he was right behind her and she had to stop letting him be side by side with her. She wasn’t willing to let him tapped her back.
            They had a tense round of staring before he took the initiative to run toward her. She grinned at his move, but she dodged him and ran right toward the finish line. Youngni saw the finish line and looked behind her. Jungkook was right behind her ready to tap. She speedily ran a step her left and turned around. The brightest idea came to her mind. She bent down and was going to trip him but she underestimated his speed as he came crashing to her. His left arm wrapped around her waist as his right hand was placed on the back of her head to protect her. They fell flat to the grass at the force he ran and rolled twice before he was able to stop them.
            Her eyes were shut tightly. Her breathe was uneven. He sighed when he saw her petite body under him with his hand securing her in place. The way she shut her eyes and forced her lips together was yet the best thing he saw.
            Jungkook didn’t bother to say a thing as he wished time would just freeze for a second, for him to completely remember the details of her. His lips curved into the most charming smile when he saw her eyes flashed open and relaxed her lips.
            “You won.”
            Youngni raised her eyebrow in confusion. Falling down means she won?
            “The moment you enjoyed using my tricks against me. The way you beamed your smile telling me you were in the moment of the game rather than the end result. You are the true winner.”
            Youngni gave his words a second thought.
            The competition itself was for Youngni to enjoy. It wasn’t about teaching Jungkook a lesson that he needed to be a loser for once—that end result shouldn’t matter. The excitement and happiness in taking part in the competition was what one needs to strive for.
           
            “Are you hurt anywhere?” his gentle voice filled of concern brought her back to reality.
            “Huh…uh…I’m good,” she spoke with confidence.
            Then she realized he was on top of her. His arms wrapped around her body. She freaked out and pushed him away.
            “Ah...,” he grunted in pain.
            She sat up and saw the scratches from his forearm. It must have been from the fall. Speechless, she looked around. She was indeed the true winner as she passed the finished line without him tapping her back.
            Jungkook could care less about the minor scratches on his arms and looked at joy leaping out from her the moment she knew she passed the line.
 
            News traveled fast. The winner was indeed Oh Youngni. The Bangtan Boys including Youngni and her three friends were standing on the outside quad stage.
            Jungkook and Youngni were in the front of the stage and the rest were at the back. She happily crossed her arms as it was time for the punishment of the loser.
            Youngni couldn’t wait as she was dying from the anticipation. The punishment that was settled before the game started was for each of the Bangtan boys to write down a punishment and three of Youngni’s friend to write two punishments. In total, twelve punishments written and folded in a jar. The winner choose one of the punishment from the jar and the loser had to obey.
            Victory was written on Youngni’s face, but that wasn’t what she was delightful about. Her secret was…she told her friends to all write the same thing….for Jungkook to be her slave. She couldn’t anticipate that moment he knew life would be hell for him.
            Taehyung brought the jar forward for Youngni to choose. She was for sure she would choose one of her friend’s punishment rather than any of the Bangtan boys’. Youngni shuffled the paper inside the jar and pulled out one. Taehyung stepped back. Everyone’s anticipation mode .
 
            Youngni was confident enough. She unfolded the paper and showed it to him first. Youngni saw the surprised expression on his face and she knew he was doomed. Jungkook walked towards to her and stopped a feet away from her. Her hands were down by her side. Jungkook smiled and leaned in whispering to her ear, “Why don’t you announce the punishment?”
            Youngni thought he was going to refuse her request but boy she was wrong. Gladly, she lifted up the paper and read loudly to the audience, “Kiss me.”
            The warmth of his lips pressed against the softness of her cheek. Her whole body went crazy in that short moment.
            “Glad to,” he pulled away and whispered only for her to hear.
            Jungkook put his hands inside his uniform pant and walked away with the most satisfied smile in his life as the members and friends in the back stage were high-fiving each other.
 
            So, who’s the real winner?