Chapter Four

Spellbound

Chapter Four: Shut Up And Dance

tumblr_inline_mq6priHVzy1qz4rgp.gif

Once our new teas are finished brewing, I sit at a table across from Hansol and hand him his cup. "It was a while ago," I begin, figuring that's the best way to put it. "Like...hundreds of years and years and years ago, a while ago. The Oh family had a son, Jongseok, and the Lee family had a daughter, Mijoo. They were madly in love, because of course they were. But their love was forbidden, because of course it was."

"Wait, why was their love forbidden?" Hansol asks, confused.

"Getting to that," I reply, raising an eyebrow. "Jongseok was a warlock, and a really strong one, at that. He was especially good at black magic, which is like...you know, it's black magic."

Hansol sighs. "Please explain. I'm human, I don't know...your terms."

"I know you don't. But it's kind of hard to explain, unless you want a really long explanation of how magic works."

"Go right ahead." Hansol smiles softly. "I'm actually pretty curious, so..."

I roll my eyes. "Of course you are. But, anyways, there are essentially two kinds of magic. White magic, which is the legal kind, comes from using the natural magical energy of a place. Everywhere in the world has at least a little, but some places have a lot more than others. These places are on ley lines."

"Ley lines?"

"Ley lines," I agree, nodding; I then wipe my hand in front of me and mumble, "Show me a map to show him the way." In front of me appears a translucent globe that spins slowly on its axis. Then, I snap my fingers; lines appear all over it, marking where the ley lines are.

I point to Maple Hills and grin. "See? That's where we are, and that's where three lines meet. There's lots of magic here. And there's a bunch near Florida, because Florida's super weird, and near the Bermuda Triangle, which is why things disappear there so often." I pause and look up at Hansol's reaction and chuckle. "Yeah, you can touch it."

He gingerly reaches a hand out to touch the globe; it shimmers when he does. "Whoa," he murmurs, surprised. "It feels...it's solid, but it's not really there."

"Exactly." I nod. "Anyways, as long as you're in a place with a lot of magical energy, you won't have any problem using white magic, and you'll be fine." I snap my fingers; the globe disappears. "Black magic uses the life forces of living beings. It's very, very hard to master, but it's also a lot more powerful than white magic is. It's illegal, and it's always been illegal. You're supposed to make do with what energy you have around you, but Jongseok didn't do that. There's not much magical energy in that part of Korea anyways," I add, as an afterthought. 

"What did he use for energy, then?" Hansol asks.

"A lot of things. It's an old story, but the way my mom said it, he started with grass and worked his way up from there. So Jongseok wasn't just a warlock, he was a criminal. And Mijoo loved him, but because he was always on the run from the law, they couldn't be together. And then her parents kind of screwed things up, if you ask me. They set her up with another warlock, who was a white magic specialist. His name was Kang Seungyoon."

"Oh. I was wondering when your family would come in," Hansol admits. 

"Yup. Kang Seungyoon loved Mijoo, but Mijoo didn't love him back. And Jongseok didn't want Mijoo to be unhappy, so he challenged Seungyoon to a duel. No magic, just fighting. And Seungyoon ended up winning, but he kind of won too hard...he killed Jongseok, is what I'm saying," I explain. "And with his dying words, Jongseok laid a curse on the Kang family. For one thing, Seungyoon never got to marry Mijoo - she married somebody else, and Seungyoon had a kid out of wedlock."

"The other part of the curse," I continue, "Is the serving part. If the Kang family has a child who's magic, which has been all of us so far, we must serve the child of the Lee family until we're eighteen. This may be done through any means necessary, magical or otherwise, as long as nobody ends up harmed as a result."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"And if you want to break the curse...?"

"Then I have to have a kid who's not magic," I reply. "Or I just have to straight up not have a kid, or Sunhee has to not have a kid. Either one works."

"And if you both have kids and yours is magic, the curse just...continues?"

I nod. "I don't really like calling it a curse, though. Sunhee's awesome."

Hansol nods. "You guys seem pretty close."

"That's an understatement. She's my best friend. Easily."

"You guys don't seem very similar, though."

"Yeah. She's pretty pink, and I attempt to be punk. But we've known each other forever," I reply, shrugging. "So I know what she likes, and right now, she likes you," I add, standing up and crossing my arms, and remembering my intention: to make Hansol leave the cafe. Hansol's really easy to talk to, when he's not asking armor-piercing questions or being generally irritating. I kind of understand why Sunhee would be into him. "So can you leave now? You said you would if I told you what's up with me and Sunhee. And now you know, so..."

"Oh. Yeah. Um, how much for the tea?" he asks, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"It's...on the house," I decide, shrugging. "See you Monday. Or, uh, Saturday, I guess."

"Saturday," he agrees, and he waves at me as he walks out the door.

I pause for a second to untie my hair as I walk upstairs. So Hansol's a decent guy - that's fine, that's fine. At least I'm not setting Sunhee up with a douchebag. On the other hand, Hansol is a decent guy. There's nothing more dangerous than a decent guy.

tumblr_inline_mq6priHVzy1qz4rgp.gif

"Nope."

"But Layla it's warm -"

"What did I tell you about cardigans?"

"That they can be as adorable and practical as they want to be!"

"And also that I'm not letting you wear one." I continue sorting through Sunhee's clothes and shake my head. "Do you own a single crop top?"

"They show a lot of skin," Sunhee argues, shifting in her bed. "Much unlike my beloved cardigans."

"That's fine, I guess. Although, may I just say, your body's fantastic and you should love it," I say, turning around and raising my eyebrows at Sunhee. "But we can always just buy a shirt at the thrift store. And you can wear that cute little tennis skirt."

"The black one, the white one or the pink one? Or the plaid one?"

"You have four tennis skirts?"

"You have more flannels than you have fingers and toes!"

"Okay, fine. True." I sigh and join Sunhee on her bed, shaking my head. "Though a more accurate comparison would probably be your cardigans and my flannels, or my combat boots and your tennis skirts."

She shoves me playfully. "Shut up, Layla."

"Fine, fine. I wonder what your man's gonna be wearing," I muse, shoving her back.

"Shut up. I'm guessing Wonwoo's gonna be there dressed completely in black?"

"Ooh, we'll match. Goodie."

"Just like a couple would."

"Still not a couple."

"Sure."

"It's true. And besides," I add, rolling my eyes, "Lily's going to be all over him if she has the choice."

"She's really something, isn't she?" Sunhee shivers. "You think Hansol's gonna drink? Because I don't want to drink, but like, if he does..."

"Don't let him pressure you into anything," I reply, shaking my head. "I doubt he would, anyways."

"I won't. But still. People will, in fact, be drinking. And that's kind of terrifying and why did you let me do this, again?"

"Because I want you to date our mysterious transfer student amigo?"

"I barely even know him."

"Well, then get to know him." I pause. "Find a quiet place and some drinks  - not alcoholic ones - and ask about Hongdae. Get him going and listen and...and I don't know, bat your eyelashes, be all cute..."

"Be all cute?"

"Shouldn't be a problem for you." 

Sunhee shoves my shoulder and then sighs. "I'm just nervous, that's all. I've never even been on a date, let alone gone to a party..."

"Neither have I. You think I'm not scared?"

"You've known your date forever!"

"He's not my date!"

"Yeah, but. You've known Wonwoo for almost as long as you've known me. 'Cause you met when he was eight and you were seven." She pauses. "We met when we were four, right?"

"Yup." I laugh at the memory. "Sunflower Preschool."

Sunhee nods. "We've grown up. Worrying about boys and parties and makeup. When did we become...you know, girls?"

"Good question," I reply, shrugging. "Feels like time's gone pretty fast. We'll be graduating next year."

"It's crazy," Sunhee agrees. "Anyways, how do you want me to do your hair tomorrow morning?"

"Do me up like Harley Quinn," I reply, grinning. "The pigtails and everything."

"Perfect," Sunhee says, smiling brightly back. "Don't do anything crazy to mine, though, alright?"

"Damn. I was gonna dye it bright green," I say, sarcastically. Sunhee falls back on her bed in a fit of giggles.

tumblr_inline_mq6priHVzy1qz4rgp.gif

From: Wonwoo
I'm heeeere. Do you have to sneak out to get to my car? I'm parked outside your cafe to the leftish if you have to teleport.

One last time, I make sure my outfit's right; it's all black, because it's me and of course it's all black, and Sunhee's done my makeup and hair perfectly, but still - I'm nervous.

Mostly, because I've been thinking about Sunhee's teasing. I know it's just that - teasing - but if what she's saying is even slightly true, if he has a sliver of feelings for me...it'd just kind of tear the two of us apart. Wonwoo's not the kind of guy who's too up-front about how he feels, and I just don't really enjoy feeling much of anything at all. And more than anything else, I want to be by Wonwoo's side - he's a fantastic warlock, he's my mentor, and most of all, he's one of the best friend's I've ever had. I just don't know yet if he's more than just a friend. 

I shake my head to clear my thoughts and give myself a once-over in the mirror one more time. (I look hot.) Then, I mumble a quick apology to Amy, who'd never allow me to go to a party in a million years. 

I snap my fingers and feel myself being whisked away to the outside of the cafe; Amy's at the register, so I bank left as fast as I can. Wonwoo's car is waiting for me. 

"Hey," I say, as I open the passenger's seat door and step in. 

"Hey," he replies, looking over at me. "You look, um...cold."

"Literally the exact opposite of what most people want to hear, but I'll let it slide. Anyway -"

"No, I mean, like, cold. Temprature-wise. You want my jacket?"

That's when I realize - Wonwoo's wearing his black leather jacket, just like I mentioned to him. "No, I'm fine, actually. Did you bring the stuff we need for the spell?"

"Yup." He pulls his backpack from the back seat of his car and shuffles around in it until he takes out a jar. "Rose petals and cherry blossom petals. You know how hard it is to find cherry blossoms in August? They're out of season by months. You owe me."

"I'll pay you later. But anyways, it'll all be for nothing if you don't actually start driving, so..."

"Ah, yeah. Driving," he says, shoving the jar back into his backpack and starting his car. "You know where her house is, right?"

"Just go towards Sunhee's," I reply, nodding. "Look for the drunk people on the lawn, probably."

"Drunk people on the...Layla, what have you gotten me into this time?"

"A zany scheme!" I reply, grinning widely. 

"Aren't her parents there?"

"Nope. From what I hear, they're in Costa Rica."

He scoffs. "Convenient. Left here?"

"Left here," I confirm, nodding. 

I wait for Wonwoo to continue the conversation, but to my slight surprise, he stays silent for the rest of the car ride. I try to think of things to say to him, but nothing sounds right in my head, so my mouth stays closed, too. It's awkward. And it shouldn't be like this, but at the same time, I can't do anything to change it. 

tumblr_inline_mq6priHVzy1qz4rgp.gif

Eventually, we arrive at Lily's house - it's like a small castle or something, and even from inside of Wonwoo's car, I hear the thump of EDM. "It's packed," Wonwoo sighs. "Let's get this over with." 

"Let's," I agree, climbing out of his car. Once he's out, too, I walk over to him and grab his arm.

"Layla, what are you -"

"Trust me," I reply. "Let's go in."

Sure enough, when we walk up to Lily's front door, the hostest herself greets us. "Oh my gosh, Wonwoo Jeon!" she begins, her smile painted hot pink. "I mean, nobody expected you to show up to this. You didn't have to, but oh my gosh, you must've wanted to see me, right? There's drinks inside. And weed, if you want that. And harder stuff and who are you?"

Her attention turns to me, and her smile turns into ice at the speed of light. It's actually terrifying.

I somehow manage to keep my cool, and I squeeze Wonwoo's arm a bit tighter, part of it as part of the act, and partially for comfort. "I'm Layla Kang," I reply. "I'm Wonwoo's plus one."

"Oh. Oh," Lily says, nodding slowly. "I see. Well, Wonwoo, if you get bored of her, you can always come hang out with me, alright?"

Wonwoo shrugs noncomitally and mumbles something I can't hear over the bass, and before I know it, Lily is far behind me. "That was scary," I mumble. 

"Yup," Wonwoo agrees, shaking me free of his arm. "Anyways, let's find somewhere quiet where we can -"

"Layla!" I'm being hugged from behind by Sunhee before I know it. "Oh my gosh I was worrying you were gonna bail on me."

"Of course not," I reply, wrapping my best friend up in a hug. "Where's your boy, anyway?"

"He's in the bathroom. He doesn't drink," Sunhee adds, putting her hands near her heart. "Or do drugs. I think I'm in love."

"Told you he wouldn't," I say, nodding. "Anyways, I'm gonna go, uh, try to find some sodas or something."

"Good idea. Bring me a Sprite?"

"If I can find you! Seeya," I say, waving. Sunhee waves back and begins searching the crowds for Hansol. I turn around, hoping to find Wonwoo, but he's gone. 

So not only do I have to find Hansol and get him and Sunhee in the same location, but  I have to find Wonwoo, too. Great. 

tumblr_inline_mq6priHVzy1qz4rgp.gif

Almost an hour later, and none of my friends are anywhere to be found. At this point, I don't even want to find them - I just want privacy. Every door I open, there's someone doing a line of coke, or having , or...or some sick combination of both. And then, in the common areas of the house, everyone's grinding or smoking or drinking or making out, and my poor, introverted heart wants to cry.

I open the door to one last bathroom - if this one's full, I'm just going to teleport home. I say a tiny prayer, just to myself, that this one will be empty -

"Layla?"

"Hansol," I reply, sighing, as I close the door behind me. "Listen, I'm gonna leave, so if you see Wonwoo -"

"No, actually, I was looking for you," Hansol replies. 

"In a bathroom?"

"I also was kind of hiding." Hansol shoves his hands in his pockets. "Parties like this aren't really my scene."

"They aren't mine either," I admit. "But, um, why were you looking for me?"

"Oh, yeah. So listen," he says, stepping forward - and since this bathroom is small, he's suddenly way close. I can see all the features on his face, all of a sudden - he's really pretty, his eyes especially.  "I wanted to talk to you about something."

I respond by taking a step back. "Hansol, what are you -"

"Just listen." He steps forward again - and he realizes how close he is, this time, because he almost immediately takes a step back. "I have a deal to make with you."

"A deal?"

"I'm probably never going to like Sunhee," he admits, sighing. "I mean, I like her, but romantically, the spark is incredibly one-sided."

"Oh." I frown and crosss my arms. "Don't see how this is a deal."

"But I know I kind of have to at least spend time with her, for you. And I'm willing to do that to help you. But there's one thing I want."

"Magic can only do so much, but I'll do my best," I reply. "Now if you'd let me leave -"

"I don't want you to do anything with magic. I want you to teach me magic."

I open my mouth and close it. "What?"

Hansol sighs and (god damn it, he has pretty eyes, it's actually irritating) steps forward again. "I'll pretend to like Sunhee if you teach me about magic."


A/N: Unbeta'd. Sorry. And sorry for not updating last month - school was a lot of things, the least of which was very educational. But there will be hopefully 3 updates in March - the Wonwoo side-story expanding on how he lives, and chapter 5, which features (gasp) a time jump!

And boy this was long and weirdly paced and now I'm gonna go to bed, so goodnight. <333