Snowy Woods

The begining

Jinki was sitting on top of a tree, the scarf that was wrapped around his neck was now lying on the floor down there, a green spot against the white snow. The gloves hanging on a nearby limb and the heavy coat that his mother had forced him to put on, was lost somewhere along the way.

The thing was, it was cold, very cold, after all was winter, but wolves did not just felt so cold, not like humans. They were warmer and were better able to endure low temperatures.

In the end, his mother was just being overprotective and exaggerating as usual.

Also, Jinki did not need all those clothes, not when he had Minho sitting right next to him. Because for some reason the younger wolf was much warmer than him, much warmer than any wolf he knew.

It was impossible not to lean against Minho, who did not seem to care, so the two were snuggling against each other in silence, watching the snowflakes glide in the breeze and become attached to the tops of leafless limbs of the trees.

"Our birthdays are coming up."

Jinki hummed, paying attention to a snowflake in particular that twirled slowly. "Yours first. Ten years, huh?!"

"Hmm, and you twelve."

He laughed. "It's funny that our birthdays are so close. We were conceived almost simultaneously, but two years apart."

Minho frowned. "That's a weird thought to have."

Jinki shrugged, snuggling even more against Minho who put his arm around him. "It's not like I’m thinking about my parents mating. I'm just saying."

"It's like we born for each other." he murmured.

His eyes widened and he turned, staring at Minho who looked to the side, refusing to look at Jinki. His heart skipped a beat and he did not know why.

"Maybe." he said with a smile.

The younger wolf smiled and nodded, finally looking at Jinki. Minho's eyes were glowing so beautifully that he could not look away and both were silent, staring at each other.

"So... hm, you know that humans celebrate birthdays? I mean, they do a party with cake and bring presents."

"Really?" he asked looking curiously at Minho. "How do you know about it?"

"Yes, really. Leeteuk hyung told me about it. He was in town until recently and made friends there, human, you know." he said, his eyes bright with excitement.

Jinki snorted. "Don't tell me you also want to go to town?"

"And why not? Don't you have curiosity to know how they live, how they are?"

"They are like us, taking the wolf part. And why would I want to see how they live? I have no curiosity about them."

"Anyway." he said looking at Jinki who shrugged and fell silent. "I... I thought it would be cool if we did that, celebrate our birthday."

He frowned. They do birthday parties, but they live for long, long years, so celebrate every year is kind of a silly thing to do, so they just celebrated every fifty years and all the wolves celebrated together. No cakes and presents.

"Then you will make a cake for me?" he asked amused, almost laughing.

Minho laughed and shook his head. "I am ten, I don't know even cook an instant ramyun, hyung. No, I thought I'd give you a present instead."

"Oh... a-a present?" he asked blushing, his heart beating even faster.

The younger wolf nodded and Jinki saw that he too was a bit flushed. "Would you like it?"

Instead of answering with words, Jinki embraced Minho tight, catching the younger wolf by surprise that lost his balance and both fell from the limb, sinking into deep snow that had fallen while they were sitting there, in a jumble of arms and legs.

Jinki laughed aloud, looking at Minho who was with his hair full of snow and did not seem the least bit happy to have fallen from the limb, with him on top. So yes, Jinki had not hurt one bit, but did not look like Minho had been hurt either.

"This is not funny." he murmured trying to get up, but Jinki shook his head, pinning him to the ground.

"In fact, it is." he said laughing and poking Minho in the ribs and making him squeal.

"Don't do that."

"What, this?" he said poking him again and tickling Minho who squirmed and laughed out loud, trying to take off Jinki's hands of him.

After Minho finally gave up trying to fight Jinki back, since the younger wolf was under a lot of snow and a little room to move. Jinki stopped and stood up, pulling Minho finally out of the snow, which snorted angry over losing.

"Were you serious?"

Minho raised an eyebrow as he finished taking the snow out of his clothes, which were beginning to melt. "About what?"

"About the present thing." he murmured, dragging his foot.

"Yes, I... I can't buy anything for you, but I had an idea and.... I can't tell you."

"What? No, I want to know. Tell me!" he said excitedly, jumping around Minho who laughed and shook his head.

"No, it's a surprise and let's go before it gets dark. Your mother will be pissed off."

He pouted, but took his things that were scattered through the snow and followed Minho out of the woods anyway.

Snow being crushed under their boots and their fingers intertwined as they walked home in silence, both thinking about what they would give as present to each other.