PreDebut Xiumin

Why Did It Have To Be You?

Minseok trained for 1 year before Luhan came. Throughout that year, he hung out with his friends who also auditioned. His friends though, we're like those "typical Koreans". That isn't supposed to be racist I swear. I mean that they are religious and homophobic. Not all Koreans are like that I know. But most are. But they're also racist. Aside from that, they're cool guys. He wouldn't hang out with them otherwise. Naturally, they bullied all the none Koreans. Minseok always tried to get them to stop but they wouldn't listen. But when a new Chinese trainee joined, they would have a difficult time trying to put him down. 

 

They were walking down the halls and they saw him, someone they didn't recognize. "Yah." The boy looked at them. "You're new?" One of them asked. "Ne. Annyeonghasaeyo!" He bowed. His introduction was interrupted though. "Yeah yeah, I didn't ask for an introduction. Your Korean is good but, you don't look like one." The boy smiled a smile that could melt the North Pole. "Thank you! I've studied hard!" He bowed, again. "So, you're a foreigner?" He asked tone getting less friendly. The boy nodded. "I am from Beijing." The friend clicked his tongue. "No wonder you're so ugly." He mocked. The boy put on a worried face. "You think so? That won't work if I become an idol. Should I get plastic surgery?" He asked. The friend scoffed. The others exchanged glances. The boy was still looking at them worridly. "That won't be necessary. I don't think you'll debut anytime soon." The boy looked at them confused. "Why not?" He asked. "Because you're no good." He deadpanned. The boy smiled much to their confusion. "Then I guess I'll just have to train harder!" He said giving himself courage. The boys looked at him in disbelief. "How could they accept such an airhead?" The boy seemed to have heard him. "I was street casted. I only auditioned 3 days ago." He let them know with a smile. "Whatever. I'm hungry. Let's go." He said and everyone followed. Everyone except Minseok. "Hi." He whispered since he didn't want his friends to know he stayed behind. "Hello." The boy bowed. "You don't have to bow for me." His voice was starting to get louder. "But, I want to show my respect." He said with a smile. "How about by properly introducing yourself." He suggested as the other nodded. "Annyeonghasaeyo Lu Han imnida." He bowed for the fourth time. "Lu Han. Interesting name." He complimented. "Actually, my name means Deer of the Dawn." He stated proudly. Minseok inspected the boy for a few seconds. "You do look like a deer." He said nicely. "Thank you. I don't normally hear that. You look like something too. I can't remember what it is..." Minseok was waiting patiently for him to remember but then realized he hadn't told the other boy his name. "Oh! Mianhaeyo, I forgot to tell you my name." He apologized. Lu Han smiled and shook his head. "No. It's okay" Minseok smiled. "Anyway, my name is Kim Minseok. I was born in 1990." Lu Han's eyes lit up. "Oh! Me too!" He exclaimed. "Wow so, we're both 19!? I thought you were younger." They both laughed. Lu Han immediately stopped and gasped when he saw the other boy's eye smile. "Baozi!" He almost yelled. "What?" Minseok asked extremely confused. Lu Han laughed harder now. Minseok was still confused. "Oh, you look like a Baozi." He said after he finally stopped laughing. "A what?" Lu Han shook his head. "A Chinese dumpling." He explained. "Oh. Is that a good thing?" He asked a little worried. "Of course it is! It means you're cute and it makes me want to pinch your cheeks all the time!" Lu Han exclaimed while practically trying to rip off the other's cheeks.

 

 

Minseok had finished training for the day and was hoping he'd get to see his new friend at least once. He took a turn after a long hallway and saw him. He was talking to a staff member so; he waited patiently till he was done. Once he was left alone, Minseok went over to him. "Hey!" He called out while waving his hand. Lu Han looked over to him and smiled greatly. "Minseok!" He called back and ran towards him. He jumped on to the boy and hugged him. "I'm so glad to see you!" Lu Han exclaimed happily. "Really?" Minseok asked. "Uh-huh. Today was a pain. And I don't really have anyone else to see." He said still excited. Minseok was a bit shocked. "You don't have any other friends?" At that, Lu Han started laughing. "Of course I've made friends. Not much but enough." He explained. He started using his fingers to count. "There's you, this other Chinese guy who auditioned the same day as me, I'm only waiting for him to come, and there's this kid who's always alone and I'm waiting for a chance to talk to him." He finished his count with a smile. Minseok smiled back. "Are you busy?" He asked. Lu Han shook his head. "Not really." Minseok smiled. "Wanna hang out? I can show you some great places!" Lu Han thought about it. "Okay. I don't really have anything to do." 


Minseok had always hung out with Lu Han whenever he had free time. So, he doesn't know what the latter did when he was busy. He knows Lu Han has a roommate so; he probably hung out with him. Minseok didn't think he'd ever meet his roommate since their schedules were so different. One day, Lu Han called him to go over to his dorm since he was free. Minseok wasn't busy either so, he agreed. "My roommate is out so, I was bored." Lu Han told him. A few hours past as they were hanging out. Then someone Minseok doesn't know came in. "Ah! You're back!" Lu Han called out happily. The boy who came in immediately noticed Minseok so, his expression was kind of bitter. "Ah, this is Kim Minseok!" Lu Han told the boy as he pointed towards Minseok. "Minseok, this is Oh Sehun, my roommate. He is 15 and in his first year of high school!" He stated with an amused tone. "Annyeonghasaeyo." Minseok bowed. The other boy, Sehun, just barely glanced at him. Clearly uninterested in greeting the older boy. Minseok was confused. He was expecting a greeting, at least a bow, some respect. This was definitely a first for Minseok. Lu Han was laughing awkwardly. "Don't mind him." Lu Han tried to whisper, still laughing awkwardly. Clearly unable to deal with such a situation. Minseok was a bit worried now. What if, despite the age difference, this 'Oh Sehun' was also a bully just like his friends? He felt uneasy in his presence. The rest of the time before Minseok left was pretty awkward. Especially since, Sehun didn't say anything.


Throughout the two-ish years they were all in trainee days together, Lu Han managed his time well with both his best friends. Even with some of his other friends. Anyway, he didn't leave any of them out, they didn't hang out all together but, that was okay too. Especially since, Sehun wouldn't talk to Minseok. Minseok has never heard Sehun's voice and he was convinced he never would. Until, Sehun was forced to enter a singing class. He was told by the staff many times but he would always decline. But eventually, they told him he won't debut if he doesn't so, he ended up agreeing. Sehun has never sung. Like, never. He doesn't even know what he sounds like. The compromise he did with the company was that if he had to go to a singing class; it had to be the one with Lu Han. But, Minseok was in the same class as well. Minseok noticed how in the group activities(when the whole class is told to do the same thing together), Sehun kept his mouth shut. The teacher noticed and called him to the front of the class. He had to talk now and Minseok was curious of the prepubescent-looking boy's voice. Even though, he was probably 17 now, he still looked 12. The teacher had told him to repeat an exercise all alone. Minseok could see the displeasure in the younger's face. He eventually did and Minseok was shocked. He expected a little girl's voice to come out but instead, it was deep and manly.

After class he saw him talking with Lu Han. He knew it was wrong but he listened in to their conversation. He listened to the cute, small voice and the deep, manly voice converse. And suddenly felt inferior to Sehun. His voice, despite having hit puberty, still sounded a bit high. It was totally unmanly. And the way Lu Han talked to him, they were talking about something unimportant but, Lu Han sounded genuinely interested in everything the younger said and the way he looked at him, Minseok wanted Lu Han to look at him like that. Minseok knew he was in love with Lu Han and he knew he was jealous of Sehun. He knew it so well but he was so scared of admitting it to himself. He's known since barely a week after they've met. Sehun was also good looking. After realizing that, Minseok started to feel ugly. Not just in appearance, in everything. He thought Sehun was better than him in everything. He thought Lu Han liked Sehun more than him. In front of Lu Han, he would never show this. He always acted happy in front of him. But on the inside he felt like Lu Han only hung with him out of pity. He really was pitiful. After finding out Lu Han liked sports, Minseok paid for classes where he would learn how to play them. He knew how sports were played but he wasn't very good. So, he wanted to be good enough to play with Lu Han. After he learned Lu Han liked coffee, he took classes to make different types of coffee. Though, beneficially, it peeked his interest. Anyway, the point is, the week he met Lu Han, he knew he liked him and the day he met Sehun, he knew he was jealous.

 

A few months later, they were told with who they were going to debut with, they were put in a group of twelve. Minseok was happy he was in together with Lu Han but sad he was also with Sehun. All the members were happy; they all recognized each other and were all happy. Except for Minseok, he was the only other member who wasn't friends with any of them. Aside from Lu Han of course but, recently he felt distant with him. He watched Lu Han and Sehun celebrate and felt alone. 

 

Minseok wanted to have Lu Han all to himself so, he fought for him. When they were also separated into two sub units, and he and Lu Han were together, he knew it meant he can have him. He deliberately always hung out with him so that he wouldn't have time for anyone else. He made so many plans and used each of them well. When they debuted, everything fell in his favor. EXO M always traveled to China so, he naturally got more time with him and when he was talking to anyone, he would lie and say there was something really important he had to show him or tell him. Everything was great. At Least that's just what he thought for a while. He suddenly fell through depression when he realized everything. Firstly, he was able to admit that he was in love with Lu Han. That was a scary step. He realized how he's been acting towards Lu Han, really possessive and overbearing. But, Lu Han was always really kind, he probably didn't think of him as annoying, which is what he was. He started going to this bar to think things through. He chose to go to one far from their dorm so, that no one would ever know. He found himself going there really often. The waiter is now even close with him. He would always go out for a drink and yell at himself. Yes, out loud. That's why he and the waiter are close because he would try to comfort him. But, Lu Han, on the other hand, seemed to have gotten used to his sheltered life so, he would still always look for him. Xiumin acted nice and normal around Lu Han but on the inside he's cursing at himself. After a while he noticed Sehun's strange behavior around Lu Han. Is it because he hasn't seen his best friend in a while(that would all be his fault if it was)? No, Xiumin saw right through Sehun. He knew Sehun liked Lu Han. Xiumin had been trying to get himself to stop his feelings for Luhan but since he can't, they are a burden to him. Since Sehun was in love with Luhan, that meant the reason Xiumin hated himself was also in Sehun. So, Xiumin thought he hated Sehun. He tried his best to avoid him. He knew he would just yell at him if he was near him. But, every time he saw that little boy, he just started to boil up. 

 

One day, he couldn't help it and almost exploded on him. He stopped himself from getting too heated but he still said cruel things. They were everything he wanted to tell himself. 

"How can you be so sickening!?"

"You know it'll never work out, right? You are both guys!"

"How can you be so stupid!?"

"It's disgraceful!"

Since all he sees when he looks at Sehun is himself, the truth about how feels just came out. Right after, he got ready to go back to that bar. But, of course, Sehun had to come down and make everything awkward again. After being ridiculed because he doesn't know how to put on a scarf, he made his way out. He tried his best to not think about anything until he made it but, he couldn't help it. He started regretting everything he did as he always does. Poor Sehun doesn't deserve to be told such crude things. He didn't. But, Xiumin did. Sehun was innocent unlike Xiumin. He didn't force Luhan to hang out with him like Xiumin did. He just let things be and respected everything Luhan did and wanted. Unlike Xiumin. He truly was a horrible person. He stopped in his tracks. He felt like going back. But, he couldn't. He didn't want to resort to drinking again. But, Luhan was there, Sehun was there. He didn't want to see them. So, he kept going.

When he made it, he sat in his usual seat. The waiter looked at him with pity in his eyes. Xiumin looked back. The waiter sighed as he gave him the bottle he usually orders. Without a care in the world, Xiumin started chugging the drink. The waiter shook his head, upset that he couldn't stop him. He stayed there for only an hour. He usually stays there for at least 5 but, today was different. He wanted to go apologize to Sehun. The waiter's eyes seemed brighter than usual, probably happy with the fact that he didn't stay long.

 

On his way back home he was contemplating what he was going to say. He wasn't looking in front of him, but on the floor. So, he didn't see the couple in front of him, causing them to bump. Only their arms bumped and the one he bumped with didn't seem to notice either as he was endorsed in the conversation he was having. Suddenly, Xiumin recognized the voice. It was Sehun! And he was walking with Luhan! Xiumin's initial reaction was anger and jealousy. But when he realized it, his hate for himself grew. Why is that the first feeling I got? He kept staring at them until they were out of sight. He had the idea of following them but immediately turned it down. With no where left to go, he went home.

 

He went straight to his room, he only took off his shoes since he didn't want someone else to clean all the dirty snow off the ground. He didn't take off his jacket or scarf until after he got to his room, he threw them on the floor and layed on his bed. He didn't want to but, he started to cry. Not because of Luhan this time, because of himself. He hated himself so much, why did I have to fall for you!? Xiumin stayed like that until he fell asleep from exhaustion.

 

Luhan and Sehun came inside while laughing. Kai looked at them with a look crossed between amused and confused. "And where were you?" He asked. Sehun looked at him, the biggest smile on his face. "We were..." He started giggling. He was way too happy to answer questions. "We were hanging out." Luhan answered for him. Luhan looked at Sehun who started giggling when their eyes met. "See you later, cutie." He told him before leaving upstairs, while petting his hair. As soon as he was out of earshot, Sehun ran towards Kai and they both fell on the couch. Kai was standing on the back side of the couch so, they fell weirdly. With their legs against the back of the couch. Sehun was giggling and blushing. He was trying to hide his face inside of Kai's chest. "Okay. You have a lot to explain." Kai told him while trying to fix both of their positions. "Kai! I'm so happy! Today was the best! I was planning on studying I wasn't expecting any of this!" Sehun's smile looked like it was bolted into his face. There was no way, it could be removed. Kai smiled back. "That's why I was a bit upset; I thought you were just ditching your studies." Sehun started explaining to his friend what had happened today.

 

Luhan went into his room with the same smile on his face. His smile weakened a little when he almost tripped on a jacket. It was Xiumin's jacket. He looked up and saw Xiumin sleeping on his bed. He noticed his damp looking cheeks and his puffy eyes and suddenly felt really bad.

 

Xiumin woke up after at most an hour. The first thing he saw was Luhan's worried face. He immediately jumped and sat up. "Luhan?" He stupidly said. "Are you okay? Why have you been crying? Does it have anything to do with me? I'm so sorry!" Luhan leaned forward while bombarding him with questions. When he was finally done, the space between their faces was really small. Xiumin couldn't breathe so he gulped the little bit of air he had left. Luhan then, thankfully sat down next to him at a safe distance. Xiumin sighed. He finally had room to breathe. "So?" Luhan was impatient. He had to know now! "Well...uh..." Xiumin wasn't really paying attention to him; he was too busy trying to figure out how he was going to not die. "Why were you crying??" Luhan repeated. "Oh. Uh...I wasn't crying." Xiumin lied. It's not like he could tell him why he was crying so, lying was the best option right now. Luhan glared at him. "Don't give me any of that! You know damn well that you were crying." Xiumin was so shocked. This is the closest thing to swearing he's ever heard from Luhan. Luhan is supposed to be an innocent angel. Sure, 'damn' isn't a bad bad word but, would you expect an angel to say it? No. So it's bad. Xiumin knew that he was mad. So, he lied, again. "My...g-grandma...died..." He constructed awkwardly. Yes, lying about death is bad but, Xiumin's grandma had already passed away a long time ago so, it's not the same. Besides, the guilt that comes from that wasn't as bad as what would come if Luhan knew Xiumin had romantic feelings for him. That's what Xiumin thought at least. "Oh..." Luhan suddenly looked distraught. "I’m sorry. I thought it had something to do with me." Xiumin felt bad but, he had no choice but to lie. Luhan left the room and after a while, Xiumin left as well. He went downstairs and saw Sehun and Kai sitting on the couch. He went over. They were reading and so as to not disturb them, he waited patiently. Kai looked up and saw him. “Oh. Xiumin hyung.” Sehun looked up too. Sehun and Xiumin had an awkward stare for a few seconds until Xiumin broke it. “Uh…” He looked at Kai. “Is it okay if…?” He started but Kai cut him off. “Oh! Do you want to talk to Sehun?” He said as he got up. Xiumin nodded. Kai left to the kitchen. Sehun wasn’t looking at him. Xiumin sat next to Sehun right where Kai was sitting. “Sehun?” Sehun didn’t look upset or angry. After an awkward silence that lasted a minute, Sehun spoke up, eyes still refusing to meet Xiumin’s. “Aren’t you mad with me?” Xiumin immediately felt guilty. A few seconds of silence passed. “…Or something…” He continued. Xiumin thought he was trying to tell him that he has nothing to say, so he said something. “No. I’m not mad at you, not at all.” Sehun finally looked up into his older’s eyes. “What? You’re not? Why were you yelling at me in the bathroom?” Xiumin’s guilt levels were eating him alive. “I-I...I’m sorry…” He finally let out, suddenly unable to make eye contact. Sehun didn’t look convinced. “Really? What about when you were putting on your clothes?” Xiumin kept his head down. “I’m sorry…” Sehun kept looking at him, still unsure. “What about when you bu—Uh… I mean…” Xiumin interrupted his thinking. “I’m sorry! I’m sorry! Even if you pull something from way way in the past, I’m sorry! I’m sorry for everything!” Sehun’s sigh went unnoticed by him. “Okay, will you tell me why you were mad?” Xiumin looked up a bit, making contact. “I-I wasn’t mad.” Sehun cocked his eyebrow. “You weren’t? You looked mad.” He stated. “Well, I wasn’t!” He proclaimed loudly. “Okay.” Sehun answered. “What?” Xiumin asked, confused. “Okay.” He repeated. “O-K.” He repeated once more. “Okay, Okay! That’s not what I mean. What do you mean by ‘Okay’?” Sehun shook his head. “You want me to forgive you, right?” He smirked. Xiumin widened his eyes but when Sehun’s smile grew, he sighed in defeat and nodded. Sehun started laughing. “Okay. I’ll forgive you hyung.” Xiumin suddenly remembered something. “For everything? Even…Stealing Luhan from you?” He had trouble saying that for some reason. Sehun’s smile disappeared. “What do you mean?” Xiumin gulped suddenly regretting his decision to confess his horribleness. “Nevermind…” Sehun furrowed his brows. “You can’t bring something like that up and expect me to pretend like it never happened!” Xiumin felt familiarity between this situation and the one he had upstairs with Luhan. “Okay, alright.” Xiumin sighed, preparing himself for something that’s going to be a pain. “It’s just…Okay; you know how suddenly, out of the blue, Luhan stopped hanging out with you?” Xiumin blurted out. After getting a response, he continued. “Well…That may have been my fault…” Sehun’s eyes widened. “What? Are you serious!?” He almost shouted. Xiumin could only nod in such a situation. Sehun was trying to rest the anger building up inside of him. He was even turning red. Right then, Luhan came downstairs. “Sehun~?” He called out. Hearing his voice, Sehun immediately calmed down and a smile formed on his face. “Ne~” He answered cutely as he turned to face him. “Ah there you are!” He walked towards him and rested his arms on the couch. “Oh, Xiumin’s here too.” He noticed. The latter smiled weakly. “What are you up to?” Sehun took a short glance at Xiumin before replying. “Hyung and I were just talking.” He smiled sweetly. Xiumin felt himself get smaller and less significant since, they were talking about something irrelevant now. He went upstairs and took a long shower to straighten out his thoughts and mentally prepare himself for the next time he was going to speak with Sehun.


So? Is it any good? I hope you like it! This explains Xiumin's side of the story. Maybe one day i'll write the trainee days in Sehun's perspective. I already have it in my head so, it won't be hard. Not as hard as this at least. In my opinion, Sehun's side is cuter but, that's my opinion. When i write it, you guys can tell me your opinions. Also, this is the night that was the last chapter, just in case no one knew. Other than that, I don't think there's really anything for me to write. If there are any questions, you may ask. I won't mind answering. Look forward to the next chapter?