The Track Team

Young Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

​       

​       "What was that?"

​       "What was what?"

​       "You know, Mr. Yong even said he was looking after your things when I dragged you out. Do you guys know each other or something?" Joy asked, "Or was he flirting with you?"

​       Irene scoffed all of a sudden, "He's my seat partner in homeroom, Jesus Christ and –– he's not like that."

​       "Oh? So you are interested in him."

​       "It's not like that either. He's just... Different."

​       "If it's not interest, then what is it? You already noted that he's different compared to the rest of the retarded boys here. But you've got to admit, he's got the sense of humor and looks. Next is personality. That's easy for you to check him out! He's your new seat partner after all. And all the teachers have never given you a seat partner, no matter what type of circumstance after every single time they tried, they failed."

​       Irene only sighed, "That's only because my stupid uncle is one of the faculty members. He probably told the others to assign all the other students together and leave me alone."

​       "Huh, but even so..."

​       "Lets talk about this later. Class is right here." Irene finished. Her fourth period class was right next to Joy's, so they usually walked together. And about her new seat partner, Kang Seulgi. What was he going to do now that he's somehow stumbled upon involving himself with her? Irene knew that the other students won't leave him alone, and he'd get much unnecessary hate from all the other boys. Many things regarding him swirled around her mind.

​       She wondered, What's the new student up to now?

 

 

​       "Hey, you gotta pencil I could borrow maybe?" A guy who sat right in front of Seulgi turned around. He had a smile on his face, and he asked politely. So why would Seulgi decline? He, at least, looked like the first decent fellow student he's seen since third period, now that he knows who's the most popular person in school is.

​       "Yeah, of course." Seulgi handed him a pencil.

​       "I'm Song Mino, nice to meet you." He held his hand out for a short handshake, and Seulgi gladly took it.

​       "Kang Seulgi."

​       "So I've heard man. Do you know you've become a hot topic? I've heard your name like everywhere since this morning! And also, a lot more news has been mustering up since third period."

​       "What do you mean by that? I'm a hot topic?" Seulgi laughs and simply brushes it off, "That's ridiculous, I'm a new student so that's impossible. I'm a nobody here."

​       "Well clearly you aren't just a 'nobody' if you've been associated with Bae Irene and I've heard your name along with hers many times already!"

​       "Wh – " Seulgi panicked. Word spreads so fast, and he didn't even realize it. Third period had only ended not long before lunch.

​       "You're actually pretty good–looking, so I guess I wouldn't see why the girls aren't going crazy over you. So, how's Irene? What does she look like up close? Is she talkative? Is she nice? Is she really really that pretty like everyone says?"

​       Seulgi changes his mind. Clearly, this guy wasn't decent anymore. He was just another one of those guys who were all nosy and crazy over Irene.

​       "Haa.. Sorry let's talk about that later," Seulgi said.

​       "Oh, okay. But you have to tell me everything, aight? I wanna know how this Irene girl be like." The guy turns around as someone calls his name.

​       "Mino oppa! Will you take this lunch bento I made you?"

​       "Of course! Since a lovely lady like you bothered to make me lunch," Mino winked.

​       And now, Seulgi thought, Irene wasn't the only popular person here. His mouth was parted, and he slightly shook his head. This guy was not going to be one of his close friends, he thought, especially because all he wanted to know from him was about Irene.

​       The bell to end of fourth period rang. Seulgi stood up with one of his backpack straps on his right shoulder and started walking out. The guy who introduced himself as 'Song Mino' was right beside him, catching up to his pace.

​       "Yo, so hey. Back to our topic earlier –– Irene. What was she like? What did sitting next to her feel like? Is she cool? She cute? She hot? You think you can get her number for me?"

​       This guy really needs to chill with the questions, Seulgi thought. He ignored him and kept walking.

​       "Yo! Aren't you gonna answer me dude? C'mon, we're talking the Bae Irene here!"

​       "Why are you following me?" Seulgi asked, "Don't you think you're asking too many questions? If you're that curious about her, you should go ask her those questions yourself. She knows herself better than I know her, and we just met today."

​       "I'm not following you! This is the same direction I'm headed to, and oh. But that doesn't sound right. You're a new student that randomly gets assigned to the seat next to Irene on Day 1? That's not fair, can we switch bodies for a week?"

​       "Hey, please. Just calm down and chill with the questions, okay?" Seulgi was a bit irritated already. Just what is this school? Is this a place 'How To Become A Paparazzi' or something?

​       "Alright, alright... And, by any chance, are you headed to the track?"

​       Seulgi turned his head, "How'd you know?"

​       "You're on the track team!?"

​       "Yeah."

​       "Great! We have two classes straight in a row together!" Mino put his hand on his shoulders. Seulgi's eyebrow twitched.

​       Oh god.

 

 

​       "Kang Seulgi, is it? That's great, welcome to the team." The coach said, putting his fist out for a fist bump, which Seulgi gladly gave to him, "I'll introduce you to the rest of the team soon. You'll be able to spot them easily, aside from the soccer girls and boys out there."

​       "Cool, looks like I can already participate with you guys right away, huh. Nice to meet you, Mr. Lee."

​       "Yup, go get dressed and get comfortable! Here's your lock and your lock combination. It's better if you keep your combination to yourself instead of letting others know, but if otherwise, you do what's comfortable for yourself."

​       Seulgi picked one of the locks available in the lockers. The place had been emptied already, and he assumed that the other guys already finished changing. Luckily, he bought a spare white undershirt and shorts. He was going to show the others what he was made of today, and to show them that he wasn't one to be lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter