The Nosy Servant

The General
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When my parent’s sold me to the Kao hotel, I didn’t know what a courtesan was or what it meant.All I knew was that it would keep me safe from the war.I slept in the closet that they called my room and awoke with a sore back.I was dressed in silk robes that had more value than all of my families worth.Mama said that it was necessary as if the servants looked poor it would make the hotel looked bad. I

didn't see Mama alot as she was constantly busy with the affairs of the courtesans.The servants were left in the hands of Grandmama, Mama's assistant.The older women who had ushered me in on my first night.I could understand why she was called grandmama even though she was ranked lower than mama.Mama was in her late 40’s while grandmama was pushing past her 60’s. Grandmama kept us in line inorder to ensure we never annoyed Mama or the courtesans.

Many of the other young servants including myself were sent to school.Mama said their was no use in a dumb courtesan and that it wardes off men.Although school didn’t teach me much knowledge.Females were only required 2 hours of core subjects compared to a males full day.After our core subjects, we learned the fine arts such as cooking, painting,singing, dance and music.I exceled in dancing. After school we would rush back to Kao to serve.

Since I was only 6, I was not allowed to serve the men drinks or entertain them.I was assigned to serve the courtesans by cleaning after them and preparing them for the evening.Mama said it was to teach us the ways of the courtesans to prepare us for our ripening, but i didnt learn anything from them other than the daily gossip.We served the top ranking courtesans by cleaning their rooms, waste baskets, and washing them.

Their hair and clothes were done by grandmama and other older assistants as it was one of the most important aspects of a courtesan.Courtesans usually got their hair straightened every two weeks.They wore colored silk jewled robes that show their character.Their was three ranks of Swania courtesans. The tainted, petals, and the Swans.

The tainted refered to the s.s were the lowest or rank, but seen as the highest in the eyes of men.Men believed taking a was an honour and extremely satisfying.s are given low buns decorated with oriental pens.Their hair and face are covered by a thin white veil to represent purity.Only the paying costumer could reveal her face during that night.After a has had her first experience she is upgraded to petals.

They are called petals because their vieginity is seen as that of a flower and that once a man has tainted that a petal will fall.Petals were known for their two unusual buns that were hung with jewels.Once one’s flower has had it petals fallen from it stem or that they've become experienced they become a Swan.Swans are fully blown courtesans.They are the only courtesans allowed to leave the hotel in order to pursue men.The usually wore their hair down or up in an intricate braid.

When someone becomes a courtesan they are given a stage name.Grandmama said it was to hide their identities , but also give the girls freedom to be someone else other then themshelves.Mama assigned me to Ginger.She was named that because her skin resembled the color of ginger and her hair was red.I remember dreaming that I could be just like her.I remember watching her cover her sparkly lingerie with a orange robe, slipping her delicate feet into her heels, brushing through her sleek hair.Painting her lips a smokey brown tint with upper eyes filled with glitter.She was magical. Grandmama said that was what i should aspire to be.

Magical.

I was to leave men in a trance that was unbreakable. Although there was alot of glamour and fantasy that I witness there was also hurt and loneliness.I was always reminded that i was a mere servant and nothing else.Their were no friends just rivals.We all battled for Mama’s favor even though we hardly ever seen her.Winning mama’s favorite was like getting rich.If you were mama’s favorite she would spend the most money on your training to become a courtesan.

May was Mama’s current favorite.Althoyuh it aasn’t her true name it suited her well.She earned the name from the men she served.They described her as being as fresh as the spring flowers in may and thus she was named May.I had seen girls spit in other’s food, hide thejr most precious items, and ruin in their dresses before a important event.The girls weren’t as beautiful inside as they were on the outside.

I wasn’t a trouble maker, but everyone remembers the day I had my back broken in.I’m sure the hotel guests heard it.There was one rule that was of the most importance.More important than stealing, killing, and suicide (Because that wasted Mama’s money). Distrubing Mr.Tao.

Mr.Tao was an old man that was shut in off the west of the 3rd floor.He was the true owner of the hotel.Mama was just incharge of the upkeep.She warned us never to disturb him or we would be punished severly.Of course, fearful of Mama most girls stayed away from that side of the floor.I remember that day clearlt as if it aas yesterday.It was the day I lost Mama’s favor.

I was only 7.I had lived in the hotel peacefully for one year until Maki moved in.Maki was alot older than me at the age of 13.She had stunning blue crystal eyes that Grandmama said reminded her of water.Her skin wasn’t pale with a slight tan, but she was still alot lighter than me.Her hair was jet black that feel in waves.My only competition.Al

though Maki was extremely beautiful she was narcissistic and selfish.She was always in trouble for never finishing her work properly and sneaking into the courtesans things.The other servants admired her for her attitude towards the elders and the ‘gifts’ she would bring them stolen from other courtesans.

“My goodness Biaomin, with such small lumps like that how will you ever woe a man!” And they of course liked her because she had a way of making fun at any one she saw as her competition.The sorrounding girls laughed, but quickly shushed themshelves.We were on the 3 rd floor in a small s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter