Can I Have A Drink?

Ricsyung's Dribbles 2

After a long day at work, Eric didn’t feel like going home. He was just wandering alone at Hongdae’s street, since it was the weekdays, there weren’t many people there but the clubs and bars were packed with people. Maybe they needed relaxation just like him. But did he want to go to those kind of places? Because Eric wasn’t fond of going to social places, he preferred staying at home with his video games and comic books. For a 28 years old, he was sure a lame person not to mention a childish one. Before he was sure that he was going home, a hostess club attracted his attention. Maybe because it didn’t look fancy and yet it attracted a lot of customers without having people to promote the club. Just like a magnet, Eric unconsciously walked inside the club and looked around to see if he could just stay there for a drink. Before he could walk any further, someone greeted him.

‘Hello, would you like to come inside?’ a girl who looked like in her 20s smiled sweetly at him.

Eric looked behind and saw some men and women were being entertained by their hostesses, ‘Hmm, can I just drink? Alone preferably’ he asked cautiously.

The girl smiled wider and nodded her head, ‘Of course! Come this way please’ she then led him to a bar which was weird because the bar was quite empty, much to his liking.

‘Could you give me something strong?’ Eric asked when he settled down on the chair.

He didn’t look at the bartender because he was looking at his phone but when he did, he was stunned to see a beautiful guy behind the bar. He should be one of the hostesses rather than the bartender.

‘Had a rough day at work huh?’ the bartender gave a small smile at him.

Eric chuckled a little, ‘Every day is a rough day but tonight I just don’t feel like going home yet’

‘I see…’ he nodded in understand and placed Eric’s drink on the table. They didn’t share any conversation after that because the bartender was busying wiping the glasses while Eric was enjoying his drink without getting distracted by the noises behind him.

‘You should be the hostess’ Eric suddenly blurted out as he felt like talking.

The bartender halted his action and looked at him with his eyebrows raised, ‘Excuse me’

‘You’re too beautiful to be a bartender. It’s weird how the owner doesn’t ask you to be the hostess’ he shrugged his shoulder again and gulped his drink in one shot before asking for something light. Maybe he was drunk that he could see a faint blush on the bartender’s face.

‘Why? If I become a hostess, would you like to be entertained by me?’ he smirked and leaned forward to get a closer look at Eric. To be honest, Eric’s heart skipped a beat but he could still maintain a calm expression.

‘Nah, I don’t do those things. I would rather ask you out directly’ he said and unknowingly, his words made the bartender blush.

‘H-Hyesung’

Eric looked at him blankly, ‘What?’

‘Hyesung. I’m Shin Hyesung’ he introduced himself after regaining his composure.

‘I’m Eric Mun but you can just call me Eric’ he extended his hands to shake hands with the beautiful bartender.

‘Say… What do you think about this club?’

Eric looked around the club briefly before returning to Hyesung, ‘If they rearrange the seating that would be better. It would make the place looks bigger and the customers won’t be sitting close to each other. They would feel more comfortable with their hostesses’

‘Hmm…’ Hyesung nodded as he took Eric’s opinion seriously.

‘Why?’

Hyesung shook his head together with his hands, ‘Nothing… Just asking’

Eric took a glance at the clock behind Hyesung and taking the time as a cue for him to leave, ‘Thanks for the drinks’ he got up and took out his wallet from his pocket.

‘On the house’ Hyesung instantly said before Eric took out his money.

‘Excuse me?’ he looked at him in disbelief.

‘It’s on the house. But make sure you’ll come back again later’ he muttered shyly at the end of the sentence.

‘Sure, Hyesung’ he smirked playfully at him. He waved his hands one last time before exiting the club. Without Hyesung knowing, even if Hyesung didn’t say that, Eric was already considering coming back to the club to have some drinks made by him.

XXX

Of course he didn’t come the next day because having a job as a detective was making him busy all day long. But he did come back a week later.

‘Welcome~ How may I help you?’ the same girl greeted him.

‘Can I ask just have a drink here?’

‘Of course’ she nodded, looking as if she already recognised him from the beginning.

Before Eric could say anything, the bartender already spoke up for him, ‘Something strong again?’

Eric looked up only to be greeted by the same beautiful man who is giving the most charming smile at him, ‘Nah, just light. I have to wake up early tomorrow’ he smiled politely but groaned mentally as he remembered that there was going to be the usual monthly meeting with all the departments.

‘I see… Anyway, what do you think of the new look?’ Hyesung sounded very excited and gestured him to the club. Eric wasn’t paying attention much at the surrounding when he came in but when he took a good look, the club looked much better, much wider.

‘I like it’ he commented. He didn’t want to comment any further because he felt he didn’t have the right to.

‘It’s just like what I said to you last week. About making the place bigger’

Hyesung seemed happy that Eric remember their conversation last week, ‘The boss is a very open-minded person’ he said curtly.

‘No wonder you look like you enjoy your job very much’

‘I do… Say, Eric, what do you do for a living?’ Hyesung asked. He knew that Eric wasn’t some normal office person, judging from the casual clothes he wore. It was impossible if he went home and got changed especially during the weekdays because people usually just came straight to clubs after work.

Before Eric could say anything further, he heard some chatters behind him. Finding himself feeling curious about their voices, he turned his back and had his eyes widen. It was his bosses! Including the main chief… He looked at Hyesung without a word as if to apologise to him on the action he was about to do. Discreetly while his bosses were distracted, he went behind the counter and squatted down on the floor.

‘Er…’ Hyesung was about to call his name before Eric pulled him down.

‘Shhhh’ he hissed.

‘What’s wrong? Are you trying to get away from loan sharks?’ Hyesung asked innocently. Eric wanted to laugh but seeing that he couldn’t, he just scoffed.

‘How are they look like loan sharks? They are my bosses. I work for the police in crime department’ he finally revealed his occupation and it was Hyesung’s turn to have his eyes widen.

‘Yeah…’ Eric awkwardly scratching his head, ‘Surprise?’

‘I am surprised indeed’ he nodded absentmindedly. Eric felt that he was going to have some cramps, so he sat down on the floor.

‘Hyesung-sshi?’ someone called. Hyesung who realised that he too was squatting down instantly stood up straight to give attention to his co-worker. Eric could hear that the host was requesting Hyesung to make some drinks for their customers, maybe Eric’s bosses he assumed. Later, Hyesung squatted down again to look at Eric with his chin on his arms.

‘Why can’t they know?’ there was some bitterness in Hyesung’s voice but Eric didn’t point it out.

‘Usually, people who have low rankings like me would be mock for coming to places like this. So it would be the best if I don’t bump into them’ he explained and looked at Hyesung apologetically, ‘Let’s just hope your boss wouldn’t walk in on us. I don’t want to get you into trouble for having a customer behind the bar’

Hyesung chuckled and shook his head like a kid, ‘Don’t worry… I’m sure I won’t let myself getting into trouble’

‘Of course you won’t….’ Eric said but when he processed what Hyesung just said, he pointed his shaking fingers at him, ‘Does that mean you’re the owner of the club?’ he tried to whisper but couldn’t because of his stutters.

‘Hmm!’ he nodded his head happily. When he nodded, Eric couldn’t hide his tone anymore that he squealed in surprise.

‘EHHHHH?!’

The whole club become silent and Hyesung had to apologise to them while giving them some lame excuses. When Hyesung squatted down for the third time, he chuckled looking at Eric’s adorable expression.

‘Yah! You don’t have to look so surprise’

‘I-I mean like… For someone who look like around my age, you already OWN your OWN club. That’s impressive!’ he praised the silver hair man.

Hyesung was used to hearing those kind of compliments but when it came to Eric who complimented him, he couldn’t help but to blush shyly.

‘M-My uncle gave it to me… Basically, it’s his’ he said humbly. Hyesung then went to find a small stool for Eric to sit more comfortably and when he didn’t have to make drinks, he would chat with the detective, trying not to laugh at his lame jokes.

‘I’m just going to go now. I don’t think that they will be going back early’ Eric excused himself as he was already getting drowsy.

‘How are you going to go out?’

Eric thought about it and just shrugged, ‘Just walk out without looking at them I think. Plus they’re too drunk to care’ he said, gesturing to the mumblings that his bosses said. He swore that if he told them everything that he saw and heard, their bosses would get down on their knees, begging for his mercy. But as much as he wanted to do that, he knew that he had to keep his job for the time being.

‘I have an idea!’ Hyesung snapped his fingers and rushed out from the bar. When he came back, Eric could see a paper bag in his hand.

‘Don’t tell me…’ Eric looked at him in horror.

‘Yup! Here, wear it’ he put the paper bag over his head and laughed out loud when Eric looked amazingly ridiculous.

‘Yah, how am I going to go out with I can’t see a thing?!’ he replied in annoyance.

‘Let me walk you out’ he said in between the chuckles.

‘Uuuu, the owner is walking me out. I feel honoured’ he said teasingly in his low deep voice making Hyesung shivered down his spine.

‘S-Shut up!’ luckily Eric couldn’t see his blush. He held Eric’s hand and stood up from the bar before walking him out from the club slowly (purposely).

‘There’ Hyesung muttered as he removed the paper bag.

‘Thanks, Hyesung’ he grinned widely.

‘Are… So I guess you won’t be coming here again huh?’ Hyesung looked at him in sadness although he tried to hide it. He mentally cursed at Eric’s bosses for finding his club.

‘Why won’t I? Was it because of them? Nah, don’t worry. I’ll still come’ he winked to give some assurance to the owner. Instantly Hyesung’s face lit up like a Christmas ball.

‘Alright, I’m making my move now. See you next week, Hyesung’ he waved his hands.

‘Okay, bye Eric’ he waved his hands but noticed Eric hadn’t left, still standing at his spot.

‘Eric? Why aren’t you leaving yet?’ he raised his eyebrows.

‘I’m waiting for you to go inside. Who knows if someone tries to hit on you when I leave? I can’t let that happen, can’t I’ he smirked.

Can he stop making me feel like this?! Ugh, that Eric ing Mun! Hyesung cursed mentally.

‘R-Right’ he nodded and waved his hands one last time before going inside. Satisfied and was assured that Hyesung was safe inside, Eric made his way home.

XXX

‘Oi, Eric! Do you want to go out for a drink tonight?’ Eric’s colleague asked.

Eric gave him an apologetic smile, ‘Not tonight, man. I want to go home’ he lied. Of course, that night he would be going to Hyesung’s bar. Alone. As if it was his routine to do so.

‘Are you currently dating?’ his friend teased.

‘What do you mean?’ he raised his eyebrows.

‘You always either go back home early even if you have some reports to be done’

Eric shrugged his shoulder at his ridiculousness, ‘I don’t see the relevant’

‘Of course you don’t’ he smirked. Although Eric knew he meant something else, he didn’t bother to say anything because right now, he was late.

‘Imma go now. See you tomorrow dude’ Eric waved his hands and rushed out from the precinct.

Eric thought that he would be greeted by the girl with a smile but that night didn’t go as expected. Instead the girl came rushing to him and tugged him to go inside.

‘Help... H-Hyesung-sshi’ she tried to explain but she was too scared and Eric could see it from her abnormal pale skin. Once he was at the bar, he saw Hyesung was being assaulted by a drunk big-sized man and instantly a frown found its place on the handsome detective’s face.

‘We tried to stop him and when he got back to his place, he would return to the bar. We tried harder but he got violent’ someone said and from the look of the bar, it wasn’t so neat Eric would say. He saw Hyesung who was trying hard to push the man away only to have the man came closer to him, more aggressively. Somewhere in his heart, he could feel his anger was rising and unconsciously clenched his knuckles until it became white.

‘Get away from him!’

Despite his anger, he still managed to stay calm. Thanks to the police academy he attended, he thought. Hyesung finally noticed his appearance and a huge relief was expressed on his face. On the other hand, the drunk man was pissed when he was being pushed away and seeing who was he opponent, he lunged himself towards him for an attack.

‘What the…’ he hissed under his breath as he dodged the attack skilfully.

‘Who the are you?!’ the man yelled in anger.

‘Just a local citizen that wants you to stop assaulting the bartender’ he replied only to make the man angrier. He was so angry that he took the glass beer on the table and smashed it at Eric, luckily for Eric, he was wearing a leather jacket and it was thick enough to defend himself.

‘Let’s not get violent, shall we’ Eric gritted his teeth as he was losing his patience. He just wanted to have a nice drink with Hyesung and not this, having to deal with a maniac. But of course, the drunk man didn’t listen. Instead with the broken glass, he tried to stab Eric in the face causing everyone to gasp in shock and Hyesung screaming his name.

‘Eric!’

That’s it! Eric dodged the attack before grabbing the man’s arm and tackled him onto the ground.

‘You’re under arrest for assaulting a police officer’ he declared and took out his phone from the pocket to call for his friend to ask if he could come to Hyesung’s club.

‘Are you okay?’ Hyesung approached him after Eric tied the man and dragged him to the corner of the club.

‘Hmm? Yeah’ he scratched his head awkwardly, ‘And sorry for the mess I made’ he pointed towards the scattered glass on the floor.

‘I-It’s fine, not your fault anyway. Let me treat your cut’ Hyesung said quietly and dragged Hyesung to his office. Eric noticed that Hyesung was silent after the small incident and when the door was closed, he asked, ‘What’s wrong, Hyesung?’

Hyesung who was taking the first-aid kit looked at him, ‘Nothing… I was worried of you. I know that you can handle the man but he was going to stab you in the face. Oh God, I thought I was going to die’ he sighed heavily and sat beside Eric on the sofa.

Eric was extremely touched by his genuine kindness, so he smiled at the owner as an assurance, ‘Shouldn’t it supposed to be me who should feel I was going to die?’ he teased and without even using his sharp eyes, he could clearly see Hyesung’s blush. Cute, he thought.

‘Y-Yah, I was just trying to be caring!’ he said in annoyance but didn’t look up because he was shy.

‘Yeah and it’s working’ he more but later his voice grew softer, ‘But I’m touched, thank you Hyesung’ he smiled.

‘L-Let me help you with your cut’ Hyesung changed the subject. He thought that helping Eric would decrease his heart beat but damn, he was wrong. Especially when his face was so close to Eric that he thought he could steal a quick kiss from him. Hyesung shook his head mentally at his absurd thought and hurriedly plastered a plaster on his face.

‘I-It’s done’ Hyesung looked away.

Eric touched his injured cheek and smiled, ‘Thanks, Hyesung’ he said thankfully and on the spot, his phone rang.

‘Excuse me for a moment’ he excused himself to take the call outside of the room. It was Minwoo and he said that he was already in front of the said club. Eric gestured him to go inside and that he’ll be there.

‘Hyesung, my friend is here. Let’s go’ he informed when he went back inside the room. Hyesung nodded absentmindedly and followed Eric from behind. Like usual, he was asked how did it happen, did he know the guy and bla bla bla. Hyesung replied to him with short answers as he was too busy looking at Eric secretly who was helping his staffs with the cleaning. After the standard protocol, Minwoo left with the man and waved Eric goodbye.

‘Are you sure you don’t want a ride home?’ Minwoo asked.

Eric waved his hands, ‘Nah, I don’t want to leave my motorcycle here’ he turned down the offer politely.

‘Alright, see you tomorrow dude. And I don’t need a drunk partner first thing tomorrow morning’ he smirked and cocked his head lightly at Hyesung. Eric narrowed his eyes at his hidden meaning and gave a glaring saying “Get the hell out of here right now”.

‘Hey, do you mind if I get a beer?’ Eric looked at Hyesung.

‘Sure!’ Hyesung smiled and went behind the bar to get the said alcoholic beverage.

XXX

‘Oh ’ Hyesung cursed when there was a police car behind him flashing some lights at him to make him stop at the sidewalk. Of course the police officer was calling him because of his fast speed. Hence, he had to pullover and once he did, he took his registry and all the documents and ID needed before the police came.

‘Here are the documents, officer’ he handed the police without looking at him because he knew he was going to be late and would be scolded by his family for his punctuality.

‘Well, well, well’ the police clicked his tongue. Hyesung thought he had heard the voice from somewhere and when he looked up, his eyes widen as he realised it was Eric who was currently smirking at him.

‘Why are you in a rush, Mr. Shin Hyesung?’ Eric leaned closer to him with his eyebrows raised.

‘F-Family lunch’ he cursed himself when he noticed he was stuttering.

‘Oh really…’ Eric leaned back to show his crossed arms.

Hyesung looked at him in a flustered manner, ‘J-Just give me a ticket, Eric. I’m late’ he tried to sound annoyed but failed miserably that Eric had to laugh at him.

‘How about I give you an option?’

‘What option?’ Hyesung frowned.

‘Go out with me and I’ll let you go’

Hyesung suddenly became like a shy teenage girl who was asked to go on a date by her crush, ‘Is this a date, Eric Mun?’ he looked at him seriously but the blush was still there on his cheeks.

‘Obviously’ he scoffed lightly.

‘Fine, I’ll go out with you. Just for the sake of the ticket’ he said but his face betrayed him when there was a wide smile on it.

‘Of course, if you say so’ Eric just played along. He took out his notepad and tore it before giving to Hyesung. Hyesung took it hesitantly and when he read it, it was Eric’s number. Oh ! How can he forgot to ask Eric for his number when they met constantly. Once again, he blushed.

‘I’m going to call you tonight, Mr. Shin Hyesung’ he whistled happily and left towards his patrol car.

But wait…

Hyesung cocked his head out of the window and talked to Eric in a loud voice, ‘I thought you’re a detective!’

‘Covering a friend’s shift. He skipped’ he smiled.

‘Right…’ Hyesung muttered alone.

Inside his patrol car, Eric sighed contently. He hated covering shifts for his friend, Andy but today he was extremely grateful towards him. If he would be honestly, he had been wanting to ask Hyesung out but he didn’t know how to arrange his words but luckily he had the courage to do so when he pullover Hyesung’s car earlier.

The time Hyesung was having lunch with his family, he kept smiling like an idiot alone that his parents thought he was getting insane because of his busy work at the club. He casually lied to them saying that he was happy that his sales went up this month. His parents didn’t buy his lie but didn’t push him any further.

Even if I get the fine ticket, I would still want to go out with you. Stupid Eric Mun.