Step-Monsters

The Sandarella Story {Epilogue Updated}
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara still remembers the day that the step-idiots moved in to her father's house. It was the day after the honeymoon and Dara was around ten years old.

 

"Sandara, I'm home!" Her father had called out to her.

 

She had ran to the door, only to fall back when she saw that he didn't just have with him the wife he'd been talking about all summer, but two girls as well. One girl was holding a small fluffy kitten. She wasn't fooled by its seemingly cute outside, its eyes were full of malice.

 

"Dara, these are your new sisters, Krystal and Jessica." He had said.

 

"Annyeonghaseyo, Sandara imnida." She smiled warmly at them.

 

The two had given her a strange look. "We know already, it wasn't like your appa wouldn't stop talking about you the whole ride over." Jessica scowled at her.

 

Dara still smiled brightly at the two, certain that they were just grumpy during the ride. She'd never been to Jeju, where they came from, but had assumed that it was far enough away to cause them to be grumpy.

 

"Dara can show you two to your rooms and I can show your omma hers." Her father had said.

 

She kept her smile bright and showed them to their room, which was considerably smaller than hers, Dara was, after all, her father's one and only favorite.

 

Then, she started to notice, a little bit after her new mother moved in, that her father was spending more and more time with her new mother and less and less time with Dara. She was jealous, who wouldn't be?

 

"Don't worry, Dara-yah. you'll always be my best girl." He had told her after she voiced her concern to her father.

 

"Jinjja appa?" Dara asked happily.

 

"Nehh, always." His father nodded and smiled.

 

He'd also given Dara her favorite bracelet. It was a simple silver charm bracelet, but it had been her mother's. One of an S for her mother's name was Shin Hye and Sandara's name, one of a butterfly, stand for Dara's name meaning, another of a flower because her mother and Dara were so into it, and the last of a heart.

In short, it was the best thing she owned.

 

It was a couple weeks after that that her father became dreadfully ill. He stopped singing at the coffee shop and stayed home more often. He could barely get out of bed without feeling tipsy and whenever he did eat, he would only throw it back up and hour later. Around four months of him staying in bed passed until he died. Dara moved into the basement a little after the funeral and her two step-sisters moved into Dara's room.

 

She was now eighteen, as were her step-sisters. Although, they weren't the brightest for people who were technically adults. Krystal was nicer than Jessica, but only because she was more naive and a little less like her mother than Jessica. Krystal and Jessica had their strong suits. Krystal was a red head and Jessica had a blonde hair. She used to joke with Bom as a kid that they only followed Kiko around in hopes that her beauty would rub off on them, but Dara soon learned that Kiko's beauty didn't go below the first layer of her porcelain skin.

 

Bom, however, was pretty through and through. She always seemed to be there when Dara needed her most, when her father died, when she sprained her ankle in freshmen year, and when she had her first heartbreak. She seemed to be there through all of Dara's falls, which she was thankful for.

 

"Dara! Come down this instant and deliver my lunch. I'm outside with the girls." She heard her step-mother scream at her through her earphone.

 

"Nehh." Dara sighed.

 

Ever since the day Dara moved into the basement, she has been the equivalent of her slave, figuratively and literally. She did most of the cooking, cleaning, and management around the house. Whenever Dara wasn't working at the coffee shop, she was cleaning the house.

 

She grabbed a plate of Awesome's expensive sushi rolls from the counter in the kitchen and walked outside. The girls were buzy painting their nails in the garden with their mother.

 

"Omo! I think Jiyong will totally love my dress! He'll totally choose me because of it, Kyaaa!" Krystal talked with her sister.

 

Jessica looked at her sister. "Please, we all know that I'm the prettiest. My dress is also so much prettier than yours." She said arrogantly.

 

"No it isn't." Krystal rolled her eyes.

 

"Yes it is." Jessica rolled her eyes back.

 

"No!" Krystal yelled angrily.

 

"Yes!" Jessica yelled back at her.

 

And they went bickering on and on. Dara had to back out of the way when they stood up, causing her to trip over her step-sister's cat from hell, Lucy. In result, she ended

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter