Distancing the Devil

Falling for the Devil

Jung Taekwoon

Taekwoon groaned as he stretched his limbs from under the covers. He rolled over on his side and d the floor for his phone. Then, all of sudden, he heard a banging of pots and pans.

A voice yodeled from the hall, "Rise and shine hyungs, we got our first day of shooting up ahead. Move yo butts".

If there had been any seriousness in Hakyeon yesterday, all was lost overnight, and the idiot was back to his stupid ways.

Taekwoon’s fingers slid across the hardwood floor, searching for his phone. His hand brushed the edge of something hard, and, with a little stretching, he was able to grab it.

Strange, he thought to himself. Taekwoon always kept his phone on his left, as he was left-handed, yet he had found it to his right. Taekwoon had impeccable memory and knew for sure that he’d left his phone on his left side the previous night. Unless someone had touched it, it couldn't have simply grown legs and walked overnight.

Whoever had touched his phone had made a grave mistake. No one touched his stuff because Taekwoon was extremely territorial.

However, Taekwoon would have to sorry about who touched his phone later since today was shooting. Taekwoon wasn't exactly confident in his looks, but he knew he wasn't awful looking either. He was fit, tall enough and had an athletic build. His frame was lean but not willowy. He had a mop of black hair and piercing black eyes. He wasn't the type to brood or mourn over his looks anyways. He believed that talent was everything, and looks, although necessary, would never be a defining asset in a person’s worth.

He walked into the tiny bathroom and rinsed his face and body in the shower briskly. The weather was mild and their shooting clothes would be on set. He settled for a gray t-shirt, some skinny jeans, and a black hoodie.

When he stepped out of the bathroom, Taekwoon noticed the trainees in a circle. As soon as he joined the ring, Hakyeon started addressing the newcomers.

“You know you can't just walk in and put your stuff anywhere. There are rules about where you sleep and where you allowed to go for a reason. And strictly no takeout. You may find these rules harsh and strict, but discipline is very important.”

The others nodded

“Yes Hyung,” the new arrivals replied monotonously.

“Well, we don't have all day so let's get moving,” Hakyeon piped, back in his cheery voice.

Taekwoon sighed. He shrugged his coat on and made his way to the door. They had to walk from their dorm to their practice studio and it was a 20 minute walk.

They strolled down the streets and the others chattered away.

When they got there the photographer was ready for them. One by one they were called for their individual shots and a couple group shots.

Taekwoon had changed into the clothes they'd given him and was in the waiting for his turn. He was scrolling through his phone. He came across a picture of kitten and made a mental note to save it, when Ravi spoke.

“Let's get you two to become closer! It's important to have good relations with the others because they might become members along with you,” he said, pointing at Taekwoon and the youngest, Sanghyuk.

Taekwoon mentally groaned. Unfortunately, Wonshik had a point. He’d have to learn to be at least polite to everyone. Well, everyone except Hakyeon.

“Okay, you 2 must first gaze into each others eyes,” he directed.

Taekwoon would sooner glare into Ravi’s eyes but he sighed in defeat and accepted whatever the idiot was attempting. Plus he felt bad for sanghyuk. He was kind of cute in the childish way and Taekwoon liked children. Not that he’d ever admit that.

Soon after the awkward glaring contest Ravi declared, “Now you too must do this,” and demonstrated a forehead kiss with Hongbin.

The elder was about to tackle him, but there was a camera filming. He didn't want the viewers to dislike him. In the end, ever so reluctantly, he complied. Following another awkward 30 seconds of forhead kissing Taekwoon was called for his turn and escaped any more awkward scenarios.

While they took the shots, Taekwoon tried to gaze in a friendly manner towards the camera. He thought of all the things he liked. Children, small animals, his family, food. It put him in a slightly better mood. He wasn't glaring anymore.

During the break Taekwoon took his time in analyzing those around him. He also wrote in his journal and described his day briefly. They were scheduled to practice synchronized dancing with their instructor later today but their individual evaluations would also be happening soon. He also wondered how many members would be chosen for the final cut.

They called the trainees for a brief snack which was great because Taekwoon was starving. He stuffed some good down his throat quickly. He saw Jaehwan making strange animal noises from the corner of his eye. Goodness, he couldn't imagine being in a group with any of them. Still the food had left him in a good mood and a few animal pictures later he was back to his normal, emotionless poker-faced self

On an even better note, Taekwoon had received positive comments upon his modeling. It still wasn't enough but it was good. Good enough to keep him happy at least for a bit.

Of course, Hakyeon wrecked that.

When they started to take group shots the devil himself stood right next to Taekwoon. Hakyeon shifted closer to him and wrapped a hand around Taekwoon’s arm. The taller wanted to shove him away but he knew he couldn't because, again, there were cameras. Instead, he stiffened and stepped slightly on Hakyeon’s toe. The latter got the message and moved away from him with a pout.

Taekwoon thought: Cry yourself a river, build a bridge, and get over it Hakyeon because we are never going to be friends.