Final

Stargazer

Showbiz, an animal kingdom behind the curtains, eat or be eaten – the only rule that holds real value. Tough competition, packed schedules and no guarantee for success after years of hard training. Still masses of young souls choose this uncertain path to follow their dream every year.

Park Myungeun, a member of a rising girl group, finds herself standing on stage at the young age of 19 performing in front of an audience of thousand spectators, fans, journalists and critics. She feels ecstatic when the sound of her melodic singing is replaced with roaring applause and the curtains are closed at the end of every performance. This is what she wanted, what she worked for the past 4 years, what she dedicated her youth to in order to fulfill her dream. Little did she know that she was about to turn someone's world upside down.

From a far a tall silhouette had been watching her with beaming eyes. Wonwoo would never admit it willingly but ever since he first laid eyes on this particular girl, he was able to spot her in the biggest crowds possible. It was so easy for him to find her among her group members or even other girl groups, for god's sake he could even notice her in her plain clothes in hallways and filled rehearsals including all performing acts on the event. He was simply enchanted by her voice, the way she gracefully moved along to the music and her smile which made him forget all the worries in his not so long life on this oh so beautiful word. But he was only one secret admirer among hundreds, thousands, hundred thousands. Still, being able to see her doing what she was best at made him content enough. It nearly seemed as he was a mere bystander gazing at one of the brightest stars at the sky among so many of her kind, impossible to reach out to her and have her for himself. Sometimes, he thought of it as sly how she was able to invade every part of his thoughts without even having a clue who he was. Love does come in different forms and, boy, he fell for her - head over heels.

 

Today was a good day for Jeon Wonwoo. A very good one. Seventeen was scheduled to perform right after Lovelyz which meant he wouldn't need to monitor her or better their performance in a loud and stuffy waiting room this time. Instead he was able to watch his seniors perform only a few meters away right in front of his own eyes. Somewhere deep down he hoped Jin would remember his face among the crowd but he knew he was surrounded by 12 tough competitors and the entertainment world was packed with handsome and talented artists on top of that. But he quickly buried away his worries to shift his whole attention to the performing group. During the whole song his eyes were only drawn to Myungeun, for obvious reasons. He boped his head to the music and mouthed the words of the song with a fond smile plastered on his face. He knew the lyrics by heart – Who wouldn't after seeing their stages dozens of times? He felt his heart beat rise in an unnatural way and his cheeks heat up when the girls headed in his direction to get off stage after bidding goodbye to the audience. Not even before his first performance on a big music broadcast station has he been as nervous as now.
Both groups exchanged short greetings followed by either compliments or encouraging words. After a few seconds the procedure was already over and Wonwoo who held his breath the whole time was finally able to collect the very much needed oxygen through his nostrils again. There weren't even words to describe his state of mind right now, her short appearance left him in awe, selfishly longing for a much longer encounter.

 

Energized the seventeen boys completed their stage only to be greeted by the same 8 girls they just met a few minutes ago. Soon they learned that the girl group members were in fact big fans of their newest release and couldn't pass the chance to see their synchronized dancing up close. Only Wonwoo was stoned, not able to comprehend the luck that had befallen him that moment, that day. This revelation inflamed a literal battle of compliments which was shortly interrupted by a staff member urging the idols to enter the stage for the broadcast ending stage. Due to his own inability to open his mouth, crack a joke and make Myungeun at least aware that he was there, he was cast aside - he thought – and soon forgotten. The Seventeen boys weren't even able to say goodbye to their newly made friends since they had a fansign coming up right after the broadcast. As Wonwoo was about to get onto the elevator a petite hand reached out to him, slipping a small origami star in his hand. He couldn't make out who the originator was since the doors closed so promptly but he was definitely caught off guard.

 

Now in the van he held the small paper figure between his thumb and index finger attentively admiring its sharp and neatly folded edges. Seungkwan, who had witnessed the whole incident along with all the other members, spoke for the majority nudging Wonwoo to hurry up and open the goddamn paper, clearly frustrated at how dense someone could be for not noticing the real motive behind the small note. But he was that dense and hastily did as he was told anyways. His eyes widened and again today, for the second time, he forgot how to breathe.

 

His star had finally reached him..

'Hi, I'm Lovelyz' Jin. I'm sorry if this is sudden but I've been watching you and well, of course also your members on stage. If you're free anytime and want to grab a coffee together feel free to contact me at XXX-XXXXXX. You probably don't even know how I look like, just ignore this message if you're creeped out. I swear I'm not a weird person, sorry haha'