Of Heartbreak and Rejections

The Monsters In Us


She had originally thought that the love that she had held for him would be enough to stop her tormented heart from breaking each time he walked away with another women.

She had saved him, breathed life into him yet only other women could satisfy him.

Only they could give him life since she could not anymore. 

She felt tears well along her lashes, soaking them with its bitterness, dripping down her pale cheeks and plopping onto her palms.

It stung her.

It hurt her severely, alike to having a dull knife saw back and forth along her wrists until she bled, slowly and forcefully.

Her tapered fingers curled into a fist while amethyst eyes blinked blankly.

Fresh blood.

He always wanted fresh blood.

The blood bags never sated him enough and so she was frozen with her back turned each time he led another women into the darkened halls.

It was over.

Yet why, why did she continue to love him?

Her nails bit into the flesh of her palms and she didn't even realise how hard she had clenched her fist while bitterness tainted her tongue, it felt like she had swallowed a gallon of holy water and she couldn't get the taste out of .

Sooty lashes fluttered as she closed her eyes.

She knew he had kept her around him just close enough to feel the bond burn like acid when he was with other woman.

He wanted her to feel pain, to suffocate and hurt for the sins that she had made against him.

But she couldn't walk away.

She didn't have the will to walk away.

Her demented head kept telling him that he would change, that he was only hurting and he didn't know another way to let the anger out.

It kept telling her he would stop torturing her, he would stop hurting her, stop killing her slowly on the inside with his own brand of deadly poison.

When she finally found out it wasn't her head that was feeding her these thoughts, it was too late.

She had sunken too far into its trap.

Her mind knew it was the damned mate bond.

Had she not been so adamant about true love, about mating for life, than she would never be in this mess.

She gave him unconditional love, unconditional understanding no matter how he trampled all over her heart.

The mate bond continued to pulse and tighten whenever she was around him. It made her want to touch him, need to kiss away his sorrows and hug him to her chest and tell him that it will all be okay.

But she couldn't.

He was repulsed by her to the point that just smelling her scent made him sick and he kept pushing her away.

He had called her a parasite.

She didn't save him in spite.

Not because of his repulsion to her kind.

Not because he loathed her.

She only wanted to save him.

Why couldn't she get that through to him?

She loved him.

Or at least she thought she loved him, she never did realise that this love was fake, only fabricated by the mate bond until she was blinded by these false feelings.

It made her long to feel his touch, to have him reciprocate these feelings but it was only fooling her.

He was disgusted with her and it tormented her to know that.

She wanted to hate him, loath him like he loathed her but she couldn't.

When he had rejected her, she had wanted to scream into his face that she accepted his rejection but nothing would come out.

felt like she had liquid quicksand in it and she only stood stunned, hands clenched at her sides while her face was blank of emotion.

She was too weak to break their bond, too weak to accept his rejection.

That had took a lot of effort in order not to break down crying in front of him.

Was she not good enough for him?

Not pretty enough?

Not smart or strong enough?

Why did he reject her?

She had avoided him for weeks, hiding in her room while he laughed at her misery, he took great pleasure in her pain never bothering to hide his satisfaction when she couldn't barely move after the rejection AND him being with many many woman for days on end after that.

She had wanted to claw her heart out of her chest from the torture he was gifting her, his precious soul mate, but could only weakly gasp for air, choking from the searing pain of it all.

Truthfully, she had wanted her mate badly.

She wanted someone to share all these gruesomely long years with and when her mate finally showed up, he deemed her unworthy to be at his side, to be his Luna.

And she knew.

She knew he would never make her his Luna.

He had never intended to make her his Luna, after all, he was werewolf and she was vampire, his people loathed her kind.

How could he turn his back to his own people for a creature like her?

She felt a tear drip down her cold cheeks, felt her tears drown out her sorrow, felt her heart break apart under the nights waning moon.

She had cried a long time when she came to realize that.

But to her, he had changed since the first time she had met him.

He no longer held that warmth that she had loved so much about him, no longer held that kindness she felt from him, she had been the one to kill that off. How could she forget?

God, how she regretted that.

But how?

How did he expect her to just leave him to drown into that puddle of his own blood, to die arms length away from her?

How cruel did he think she was?

She wasn't heartless.

Not towards him.

Never towards the one she was destined for, never towards the one she lived for, breathed for.

She was created for him as he was the same for her.

He was her missing puzzle piece, the part of her that she couldn't live without.

But he didn't feel their soul bond, didn't feel how her soul called to his, didn't feel her sorrow at being separated from him.

How could he not feel how she felt?

He had called her a monster, had told her something dead like her didn't have a heart.

It was true.

She was dead, but why did her heart beat so strongly for him?

How could she explain the loud thundering in her ears, the strong palpitating of her heart when he was close to her, when she could smell his musky scent and see his handsome face.

Hunter held her at arms length.

Denying her of the affection that she had so long dreamed of.

What was the meaning of soul mates if not for there to be unconditional love, unconditional understanding towards each other?

He had denied her of that.

He had crushed her hopes and her dreams.

He had destroyed everything that she thought would be her salvation.