Chapter 2

You + Me = ?

Seoyoun's P.O.V

"I'M SO BORED." Katerina and I looked at Satu, clearly annoyed.

 

"That's our problem..how?" 

 

"Well, you guys are my besties!" 

 

"So? What does that have to do with anything?" I checked my phone as the bickering with the two went on. 

 

"." 

 

"What's wrong?"

 

"I need to go for work. Like now. Or else I'll be late." I shoved my phone in my back pocket and took out my keys from my bag.

 

"Good thing you already changed." 

 

"Yea, I know right? Well, I'll see you girls later!" 

 

"Bye!" They waved me goodbye, which I returned before opening my car door and driving out.

 

***

 

"Seoyoun! You look..rushed." My manager looked at me as I was trying to catch my breath.

 

"Yea..sorry. I thought I might be late because of trafic so I ran here." 

 

"Well, you're 3 minutes early." She gave me a cup of water, which I gladly took.

 

"Thanks."

 

"I guess you can start early then." She chuckled. I finished and gave the cup back to her.

 

"Yea, I know." 

 

"You know, Hanbyul really likes you. I was talking to her today and she said that she likes you the best out of everyone." I smiled.

 

"Well, I guess I recieve love wherever I go." I chuckled, making a joke about it. My manager also chuckled.

 

"Well, I'm not going to keep you from her so long. She's in her room."

 

"Thanks."

 

"Check your paycheck!" Those were the last words I heard from her, but since I was in a rush, I couldn't reply. Instead, I quickly opened the app on my phone and clicked on details. I was taken aback at the amount I've been paid. I was paid the usual $200 and then a bonus of $600. When I arrived in front of her room, I put my phone into my coat pocket. I knocked and waited a few seconds before opening it. I entered her room, smiling, but that quickly disapeared when I saw her crying. I quickly closed the door and rushed to her bed, grabbing the tissue box from the vanity while I was at it.

 

"Hanbyul are you okay? What's wrong? Why ar eyou crying?" I put my arms around her and gave her a tight hug. I pulled away and wiped her tears with a tissue and gave her one to blow her nose in. She held her head up and I was heartbroken. Her eyes were bloodshot red and puffy. She wasn't crying of recently, but by the looks of it, she'd been crying for quite some time.

 

"M-my brother. H-he said that he would visit me today r-right after school ended, at the latest 4. I-it's last 4, but h-he still isn't here. Am I not that important to him?" 

 

"Oh, honey, no. You are important, and even if you may not be important to him, you're important to me, your parents and friends." I tried my best to smile at her, but it was hard to do so.

 

"W-what if he hates me? What if he doesn't want to even talk to me? What if he's only pretending?" 

 

"Hanbyul, I never told you about my parents or my family. Would you like to know?" I said softly while looking at her eyes. She seemed to stop hiccuping and stable her breath. 

 

"Y-you're telling me now? Why though?"

 

"Well, because I love you and you're important to me. We've known each other ever since you came here 6 months ago. I think I'm ready to tell you." She looked at me with those innocent eyes for a second.

 

"O-okay."

 

"Great. Get ready because I'm buying you dinner while we're at it. It's nearly 6." I picked her up from her bed and gave her the coat she loved to wear. 

 

"How'd you know?"

 

"It's your favourite coat." 

 

"Isn't it cold outside?" I chuckled and put the coat over her shoulders.

 

"Does it matter? We're driving." She smiled wide and quickly put her arms through. I held out my hand to her and she grabbed it softly, but with a strong grip which made me smile. 

 

***

 

"Finally!! The food's here!" Our waitress chuckled and quickly gave our food.

 

"Is she your child?" I shook my head.

 

"No, but she's my responsibility as of now." I smiled at her.

 

"Well, if you need anything, just press the bill."

 

"Will do!!"

 

"Enjoy~"

 

"So, I'm guessing you want to know about my family now?" 

 

"Mhm hmm!" She smiled as she bit out of her burger.

 

"My parents..they're almost always out of the house. They're part of a business and their job requires them to go on business trips all the time. I guess they'll have a week at max to actually be home, but that's every 2 months - sometimes 3. Since I get lonely, I usually invite my friends over or I go to their house."

 

"Is that why you started working there?" I nodded.

 

"Yes, that's why. I wanted to work there because I want to help and put a smile on as many people's faces I can."

 

"It's a good thing your parents are out all the time then!" I smiled when she gave me a smile, ketchup on her bottom lip. I grabebd my tissue and wiped it off.

 

"I guess so."

 

"Don't you have any siblings??" I sighed at her question. 

 

"Yea, I did. I had a brother, but he passed away. He's in a better place now." She put her burger down and tilted her head.

 

"Passed where? Where is he now?"

 

"He's in Heaven. He passed away, as in, he died. He died 7 years ago from cancer."

 

"Oh, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked. Now you're going to cry. Please don't cry unnie." I chuckled and smiled at her.

 

"Don't worry. I won't. I'm a strong girl!" 

 

"Woah! I want to be a strong girl like you! Can I be a strong girl?"

 

"You already are." I poked her nose and she was a giggling mess. 

 

"Hanbyul? Is that you." I turned around and saw someone totally unexpected.

 

"Hmph!" She turned around in, refusing to talk to him. He looked at me, then her, and then back at me.

 

"Hanbyul, how do you know him?" I asked her.

 

"I'm her brother." Ohh. That would explain it. Hanbyul and Hanbin. .

 

"Yea, well, what a fantastic one you are. Did you know she was so excited for you to come visit, just like you promised, and when you didn't, she was crying?" 

 

"W-what?"

 

"Yea, she was crying. Wasn't just a 5 minute thing either. Her eyes were bloodshot red and puffy." 

 

"Wait, wait. Hanbyul, I can explain." 

 

"I don't want to!" 

 

"Hanbyul, please. Let oppa explain." 

 

"No! I don't want to talk to you!" He walked past me and to her, where he was touching her shoulder.

 

"I have a reason why. Please, let me explain why. Then you can forgive me if you want." 

 

"Excuse me. I'm just going to pay the bill." I excused myself quickly to get out of this situation.

 

"Hi, all done?"

 

"Yea, how much is it?"

 

"What table were you at?"

 

"Table 10." 

 

"Ah, yes. That will be $20." I took out a $20 bill from my walled and handed it to her.

 

"NO! GO AWAY!" That was Hanbyul screaming, and now crying.

 

"I don't need the reciept."

 

"Oh, okay. Have a nice night!" I only noded and made my way back. I pushed Hanbin away from her.

 

"Hey, hey. It's alright. Hanbyul, it's me. It's Seoyoun unnie. I already paid the bill, so we can go if you want to." She nodded and motioned me to lift her. I did so and walked out, ignoring Hanbin's pleas.

 

"I don't want to see him." She said softly between sniffles as the breeze picked up." I opened the passanger seat and put her in.

 

"I'll go talk to your brother, okay? I don't think we should leave him like that. You stay here and I'll be back soon. There's a warm fuzzy blanket just behind you if you need it, okay?"

 

"Okay, but be quick!" I nodded and closed the door to face a heartbroken Hanbin and some of the guys. 

 

"So, what's your reason? Or should I say excuse?" Their heads whipped back at me, and in the first time in forever, I saw Hanbin crying. I was taken back for sure, but stood my ground. It went silent, and when he spoke, I felt chills going up my back.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Cliffhanger! Any guesses? I kind of put some foreshadowing in there so it'd be easier aha