Just a Few Metres Away

An Angel in Hell

It was almost seven o’ clock. After a good hour and a half, the bus arrived at the northern part of the dark city of Seoul. It was a peaceful afternoon as most people were either at work or at school. The bus made a stop at the next bus stop, indicating that the long bus ride was soon going to end.

Jimin rested his forearm on the window frame and looked at the outside view in boredom. He only had to wait for a little more for he would get off the bus before long. While he was waiting for the bus to carry on moving, however, another good question popped in his head.

Where was he going?

He instantly started wondering what the best place to go would be. Perhaps, was his first thought, it would not be a good idea to directly go back home. He did not feel ready to face his family again after three weeks of absence. What would his parents say? Would it be easy for him to jump from one situation to another?

In the end, he decided he had better hide from his acquaintances for a day or two more and stay somewhere on his own until then. The next thing he did was patiently wait for the bus to arrive at his district.

By the time the bus moved again, it had already half emptied. Jimin looked around for a brief moment and was rather pleased at the sight. He was looking forward to the time he would be alone, without those impersonal crowds of passengers.

The bus continued its short way around the city. During the slow route along the roads, the view from the large windows was pleasant, with colourful lights decorating the huge buildings joined together, altering the dark night aura.

Within minutes, the view was constantly changing in Jimin’s eyes with a relatively fast transition from one area to another. He was reaching his own neighbourhood shortly, and he couldn’t help awaiting that moment eagerly. It was an unusual and unexplainable feeling of his which he would never expect in this state of affairs.

Although he was seemingly watching all the rapid scenery changes from the window, he barely became conscious of the passage of time. About half an hour later, the bus stopped at a familiar neighbourhood which was characterized by tall trees surrounding the narrow streets.

Jimin contemplated the area in front of him. The trees resembled the enormous trees planted in the area of his school grounds. So did the remaining area for the school building was located in a natural environment. Puzzled, he bent forwards to have a closer look at the whole view, only to have the next sight take him by surprise.

It was a familiar building indeed. In fact, it only took him a second to realize he had actually ended up at his school.

Deciding what his next action should be was not as simple as he previously thought. Just the view of the school building instantly generated loads of deep thoughts on his mind. Whether he got off the bus right there or somewhere else, every single act of his constituted a risk. What’s more, he had little to no time to decide if he would get off until the bus gates closed.

Much to his surprise, however, he found himself picking up his schoolbag and getting up from his seat. At the very last minute, he was abruptly overtaken by his curiosity about the happenings inside the school. He was taking a huge risk, but there was no reason for him to hesitate and step back.

Following a short queue of remaining passengers, he got off the bus whilst swiftly switching his glances between the school building, which was out of sight, and the exit steps.

As soon as he stepped out of the enclosed and stuffy bus, he found himself slightly liking the feeling of the nature and fresh air. This feeling, however, was mixed with his own fears and scruples, resulting in a sentiment of indecision.

The school building was hardly a minute away from where Jimin was standing, but to him, it felt as if it were miles away. The thought of potentially showing up in front of his fellow students’ eyes again was growing increasingly appalling with every closer step he was taking. Nevertheless, it was still his choice to take the risk.

After he had reached the deserted field surrounding the entrance, all he was able to do was stand still and stare at the building thoughtfully. Going in was not simple as it would carry multiple consequences. Even so, his weakened conscience prevented him from stepping back.

Suddenly, he noticed something that was enough to gradually make him regret stepping there. He spotted a young boy walking out of the school building and slowly going closer to him.

Although the boy did not seem to have seen him, Jimin’s heart raced in anxiety. What if the guy found him and gave him away to all the students?

What startled him the most, however, was not that guy. He was actually surprised that he was scared of being seen. Once he had decided to enter the school all by himself, why was he hiding from the other students?

Cautiously, he turned his back to avoid being recognized and tried to walk away from the school grounds. However, the alarming guy, who was fast enough to approach him in seconds, had different intentions.

“Hey you!” he called somewhat provokingly.

Jimin was left with no choice but to turn to him. As soon as he had a look at the boy’s features, he could feel his heart race once again. The boy was a bit shorter than him and had black hair, and despite the slight cuteness on his face, his facial expression was disapproving and rude. Jimin had a closer look at him, and the name on his name tag sent shivers down his spine.

Jeon Jungkook was a first year student and one of the most well-off students in the school. He was not known to have a decent personality, though, as most of the time he was quite rude and selfish. Knowing all these, Jimin ensured that he had no hope with him and that he was in danger.

Jungkook continued, “What’s up? What are you doing over here?”

Before he could answer him, Jimin was shocked at how Jungkook was not reacting to his reappearance. Any student who saw him would apparently be shocked, but Jungkook was acting as though nothing was going on. He was absolutely sure that his name was being heard all around the school.

Of course he’s heard of your name, you fool. He just doesn’t know that it’s you!

Jimin then changed his expression towards Jungkook to look less secretive. He replied, “Nothing. What am I supposed to be doing?”

“I’m not sure if you’ve realized it, but this is a school.”

Jimin bowed his head and secretly nodded to himself. Jungkook had totally forgotten Jimin was a student there.

He then looked back at him and shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t care! No one disallowed me to be here. And neither will you.”

Jungkook suddenly burst into laughter as if he were playing a joke. Jimin rolled his eyes at the quick change on Jungkook’s attitude. Something odd was going on for sure.

“Nice to meet you, hyung,” Jungkook smiled in a more friendly manner. “My name is Jungkook, Jeon Jungkook.”

Jimin shivered at the sound of the word “hyung”. How on Earth does he know I’m older than him? Do I really look too old for my age?

Straight after that, Jungkook added three more words which made Jimin’s heart stop.

“What’s your name?”

Taehyung stood a short distance away from the dejected girl who was standing against her locker and watched her with pity. She had never disappointed her friends this much before, nor had she ever been so sad she did not want anyone by her side.

He looked at her thoughtfully and observed her expression. She was holding her phone and staring at it with sorrowful eyes. Irritated, he was absolutely sure as to what she was looking at. It was obviously another photo of Park Jimin, as usual.

Miyeon had been doing that ever since she first met Jimin. Taehyung remembered the old times when she would scream over Jimin’s face as if he were a celebrity. He did not really like those moments, but at those times she was certainly a much happier person than the crybaby she had ended up as.

Taehyung had never been so upset before. Regardless of how much of an idiot he was considered to be, he always trusted Miyeon, and never expected her to uncover his serious side as a result of her actions and emotions. He had always known her as an outgoing and demonstrative girl, so he found it absurd how she was gradually turning into a loner. Losing a loved one was a painful experience, but Miyeon’s sorrow was undue.

Taehyung himself never managed to like Jimin’s personality. He was not a very extrovert person in general, but the first person he had hardships communicating with was Jimin. Jimin was the first one to dislike him for being silly and always treated him abhorrently. Though Taehyung had previously attempted to befriend Jimin, those two could never get close.

After picking up his food tray, Taehyung made his way to the cafeteria. He had nobody to sit with, but he still did not want to be alone. He had to look for somebody among the hundreds of students crowding the cafeteria who was willing to sit with him – the least popular guy in his class.

He started wandering around the area of the cafeteria while simultaneously glancing at the students sitting on their tables. He could hardly spot anyone who was in the mood to hang out with him, yet he did not care for he honestly enjoyed disturbing his classmates with his playful behaviour, despite their intense nonacceptance.

After a few – yet endless – minutes of looking around the cafeteria, he noticed a boy from his class sitting on a table a few steps away from him, accompanied by a number of friends of his. It was Park Jimin, the most gentle guy in his class and one of the few students who did not approve of loud noise made during lessons.

Without hesitation, Taehyung walked towards Jimin with his silliest smirk. Before sitting next to him, somewhat against his will, he bent forwards and stared at him with the same smile, waiting for his response.

Jimin, however, did not manage to notice in time. He turned his gaze to Taehyung’s face a few seconds later, only to inhale in shock at his abrupt invasion.

“What do you want?!” he protested with a glare of fury.

But Taehyung ignored Jimin’s angry reaction and carried on smiling. “I want to sit with you. What’s so bad about it?”

Jimin continued glaring at Taehyung and grinning for a moment before saying rudely, “Everyone’s sick of your face. Do you know that?”

Taehyung shook his head, without taking that annoying smile off his face. “It doesn’t matter. I’m not sick of everyone’s faces.”

Jimin chuckled at Taehyung’s smart reply sarcastically, but suddenly stopped to think about it more deeply. Was Taehyung being friendly towards him indeed, or was he simply joking around like he always did?

Nonetheless, he ignored those questions. Unable to overcome his frustration, he pushed the side of Taehyung’s tray against his chest, indirectly motioning him to go away. Taehyung made a step back to leave, but apparently, nothing could make the wide smile on his face fade.

Taehyung shook his head at the whole sight. It was a shame how such a nice girl as Miyeon was in love with such an awful guy as Jimin. Taehyung still couldn’t help believing she deserved a decent guy, unlike him.

He walked away coldly, yet without noticing another guy walking along the hallway. His eyes were also glued on the sad girl as he was approaching her slowly and noiselessly.

Jimin quickly found a place to hide, which was no other than the walls leading to another hallway. He bent his head to continue looking at her discreetly, and as soon as he saw who she was, he felt a sense of surprise once again.

From the countless calls she had given him to the way she was standing there still looking so unhappy, there was certainly something wrong about this girl from his class called Park Miyeon. He had to figure out what was going on in the school behind his back, and why.

He eyed the poor girl’s position. She was staring at her phone’s screen very observantly and thoughtfully, which meant that what she was looking at was something meaningful and significant. This left him wondering what it could be, and what could possibly make her look at it so sorrowfully.

He suddenly felt the desire to walk to her. He wished he could fight his fears straight away and approach his classmate to see what was wrong.

Unfortunately, however, he couldn’t. Before he could even take a step forwards, he held himself back, overtaken by his restraint and hesitation.

He merely kept watching her, only to be shocked at the next thing he saw. She took off her glasses, revealing her eyes, which were watery. Jimin instantly wondered why she was almost ready to cry. What was it that was making her that sad?

Just go to her, you coward!

Jimin mentally cursed at himself for not having the courage to show up in front of his classmates. He knew he had to make a difference. He knew he had to change everything as soon as possible. But if he did not stop being a coward, that would never happen.

Surprisingly, he felt a light sense of sadness when he saw Miyeon leaving. It was a weird feeling, as though he wanted her to stay. He wanted to rush to her and stop her from going anywhere, but no matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t.

He was disappointed in himself.