The Waiter

A Bear and A Cafe

Can I just say that I had the craziest last two weeks of school before break in my life? Legitimately, I said that I would take a nap and fell asleep for 4 hours after I got home from school yesterday and I had been half studying and half sleeping for the past week.

And wow did Changjo's chapter turn out longer than Niel's O.O


*Ring, ring*

Changjo looked to the clock again: 4 p.m.

He looks over to the entrance to see a familiar boy with somewhat familiar friends, chatting about something including a large project and final exams. Normal stuff that barely interested him as he continued to add a milk design to a caffé latte.

"Still haven't talked to him?" he heard Chunji close the register along with customers saying their 'goodbye's and 'thank you's.

"What's it matter to you?" Changjo replied back informally, carefully placing the caffé latte on a tray before lifting it up with a neat pile of macarons on a plate to balance the tray out.

"Dude, it's so obvious that you're smitten for him," Chunji sneered, ignoring the fact that Changjo spoke to him informally.

The younger turned to glare at him, "I would have smacked you with this tray if it weren't for the fact that the caffé latte is about to spill like usual." And that threat made Chunji immediately close his mouth before Changjo turned back with a scoff.

Yet, it was... weird. He suddenly froze and stared at the boy again rather then serving the customer what they order. That same weird trance until that boy looked over and made him snap out of his trance, quickly turning his head away on reflex.

It was a stupid little trance.


"Honey."

He turned from the register to the kitchen entrance to see his mother's head peeking out, "Chanhee- oops- er- wait, he likes to be called Chunji- Chunji caught the flu so you're going to have to work a majority of the time until Minsoo- or- er- his nickname is C.A.P. was it? Well, until he comes to begin his shift at 4:30 p.m., is that okay with you?"

"That's fine," Changjo said.

"He also said to make sure that you serve a boy with thick lips?" she questioned, looking to the entrance and call it great timing as she sees a boy with thick lips coming inside holding a bag meant for laptops. That simply action made Changjo's face turn extremely pale, "W-What?!"

"He said something about the boy you keep staring at," his mother said innocently making Changjo feel his cheeks burn up. Being the mother of a usually silent and awkward boy that had purely changed colors like a chameleon made her slowly smirk as she finally understood, "Daw~ My boy is totally crushing on someon-"

"MOM!" Changjo yelled soft enough so that other people wouldn't pay attention.

His mother then came out of the kitchen and started pushing her towards the table the boy sat at, "C'mon~ Go get him!"

Eventually she shoved hard enough that Changjo stumbled and almost face-planted onto the boy's laptop.

Nerve-wracking barely scratched the surface he was feeling right now, standing so close to the boy to the point that he could hear his humming clearly.

"Ma...!" and the boy looked over making his breath get caught in his throat before he strained for words to come out, "May I t-take your order...?" He could see how tightly he was gripping the Rilakkuma pen Chunji got for... uh, one of his birthday parties. Honestly, his hyung-childhood-friend-squirrel-thing got so many Rilakkuma items for him for all of his birthday parties that it was hard to remember...

Changjo heard a short giggle come from the boy, making him panic more, "Is something wr-wrong?"

The boy smiled at Changjo, who's heart skipped a couple of beats, "No, nothing, it's just that your pen is cute. I'll have one of the cafe's homemade coffee please..." and he just happened to look where his heart was doing weird beats, "Jonghyun."

Only then did he realize that he still haven't told his name. It was a relief to know that his heart wasn't pounding so hard that the boy wasn't aware about it, but it was still hard to speak- well- words, "...angjo..."

"Excuse me?"

"Changjo... I prefer to be called that..." before the boy could see that his ears were burning red (yes, he was embarrassed til the point he could feel the embarrassment) he quickly walked back to the kitchen to see a cup of the cafe's homemade coffee and a petite strawberry and whipped-cream tart on a tray laying on the counter.

"Uh- mom, he only ordered our homemade coffee," Changjo said.

"It's a present for the boy," his mother popped her head out of the kitchen door again.

"H-Hey bu-!" Changjo could only muster out those words before she disappeared into the kitchen again as though saying, 'go get him!'... which he swear he could hear his mother's muffled yell of 'Changjo fighting!'

He hesitantly walked back over to the boy's table and quickly placed down the coffee and tart so he could get the heck out of there before he could feel his face burn up again. Well, he should have guessed that the boy would look at the tart weirdly if he did too.

"Um, Changjo, I didn't order a dessert to go with the coffee."

And there goes his cheeks burning up again and on instinct used the tray to hide his face.

"I-It's on the house..." curse stuttering and making him feel more stupid. Changjo ran away from the table, almost tripping over his own feet (to which if he did he would have died with embarrassment even more) because the tray covered his field of vision.

As soon as he barged into the kitchen to hide he started whining to his mother, who giggled at how red his face was.


"Duuuddddeeee I said that I was sor-"

"I *cough* hate you so *cough, cough* much right now." Changjo grumbled.

"I didn't mean to transfer my flu to you after you visited," Chunji pouted.

"Well you did transfer your plague to me and now I feel like crap," Changjo started hacking into his blanket.

"Well I'm sorry that you don't get to see your fish to-" the younger then chucked a Rilakkuma alarm clock and barely missed the older's head, "Okay okay I'll get out!" Chunji yelled in a fit of panic as he did so.

Changjo slowly drifted off to sleep but lets face it, going to sleep with a stuffy nose and sore throat , so it was a very uncomfortable sleep. Time flew by until he heard the familiar voice of the person who gave him his plague along with the door opening.

Since he had no other hard projectile nearby he chucked a Rilakkuma pillow instead.

"Go *cough* away Chunji!" Changjo strained to yell.

"Talk about rude!" Chunji tossed the pillow back in the direction where it came from, "I brought your fish you stupid bear!"

Chunji was then kicked on the back, sending him head first straight into the pillow Changjo chucked again. Well, at least he didn't face-plant painfully onto the wooden floor, but talk about timing!

"Get out of here you squirrel!" Changjo yelled, then started hacking and coughing.

"Hey! That's no way to talk to your hyung!" Chunji yelled back. Changjo then heard angry stomping out of the room and down the stairs. He then remembered that the boy came to visit him.

"*Cough, cough* You can come in now...!" jeez did talking hurt.

Now that the door to his room was open he felt a shiver run up his spine and started to shiver uncontrollably.

"You okay?" he saw the boy kneel down to Changjo level, staying far enough so that if he turned that he wouldn't cough on him.

"*Cough* N-No... my nose is stuffy, my throat hurts, and it's r-really *cough* cold..." he murmured, trying to make the cold go away by clutching onto his blankets tighter. The boy touched his forehead to check his temperature.

"You're burning!" he exclaimed.

"I-I did have an ice pack..." Changjo pointed to a blue ice bag sitting on the center of his desk, unlike the alarm clock (that's now in the corner of his room) that was sitting on the edge of it.

"You should put it on your head," he saw the boy grab it to place it on Changjo's head and that automatically made alarm bells yelling 'warning' for him to turn away before he freezes to death. Well, he wouldn't, it was just the cold that was throwing his nervous system off.

"No!" Changjo complained, trying to use a pillow to cover his head.

After a few minutes of trying to pull the pillow off of Changjo's head the boy was finally able to place the ice bag on Changjo's forehead. The waiter pouted in a childish manner, "It's too cold."

"It's ice," he heard the adorable chuckle that came from the boy usually whenever his friends did something funny.

"..." it was adorable, but he realized something: he still doesn't know the boy's name. Not only did the chuckle make his heart do those stupid flips, it was also unfair that he didn't know the boy's name. Changjo huffed at the thought as he turned his head to the wall just enough so that the ice bag wouldn't fall off. He pouted again, "...You still haven't told me your name..." he murmured, covering a cough with one of the blankets.

"Daniel. I prefer to be called Niel though," Niel said.

"Is your family foreign?" he asked, due to English names being rare in- well- a mainly Korean speaking country.

"Nah, my parents just like the name for some reason."

"Niel..." Changjo murmured softly. The name suited the boy because it was very... pretty...

"Yeah?"

"N-No, it's nothing..." Changjo pulled up the blanket until it was right under his eyes, feeling his cheeks burn, "... It's a pretty name..."

"Mind saying that to me and not the wall?" he heard Niel sigh.

Changjo did as told, holding their eye contact for maybe three seconds, before pulling up the blanket to completely cover his face, feeling his entire face burn instead of just his cheeks, "It's embarrassing...!" He muffled a whine.

"Is that why you won't look at me when I look over to you?" Niel laughed a bit.

The waiter yanked down the blanket, not caring that his pout was visible and that there was a leftover burn from the previous flustering, "No! I...!" he was embarrassed again as he averted his gaze, "I just started doing it all of a sudden... whenever that bell rings at 4 you're always standing there..."

"Well it's very noticeable."

"Really?!" Changjo began coughing and hacking into the blanket again.

"Yes, I'm pretty sure every one of the occupants in the cafe are fully aware of the handsome waiter staring at the thick-lipped college boy." Changjo froze, hearing the sentence. He turned it over one in his head, then twice, maybe thrice.

"Did you just say I'm handso-"

"Shut up!" Niel took a pillow and stuffed it into Changjo's face. Breathing was a ton more terrible but was Niel embarrassed...?

Althought it was a bit painful, he was able to laugh soft enough that Niel probably couldn't hear him. A laugh at how stupidly cliche this moment was like in those stupid girl romance manhwas that the girls at school can never shut up about.

He could feel the pillow slowly lift from his face as cool wind hit his face and questions popped up in his mind.

What if he said those three words...? Would he finally be able to accept the fact that maybe Chunji and his mother was right? Maybe he would just keep denying that he has a crush on him?

"... I dunno... maybe I fell for you after a while..." Changjo murmured, feeling embarrassed yet again but the words felt right for some reason.

An awkward silence fell between them.

"Th-There's no way!"

"R-Right?! I'm just gonna leave n-now bye!"

"Bye!"

Changjo heard the door slam as he hid in his blanket barricade again, feeling his heart beat crazier than it ever did before.

"Jeez... how did this happen...?"


"Here's your parfait," Changjo said, setting down the parfait as he heard the doorbell ring.

He turned around to see Niel and sent him a small wave and smile, feeling lighter now that their relationship was slightly cleared up. Niel walked over to his usual table and sent a small wave and smile in a more shy manner than his.

Changjo was about to go greet the boy happily as he passed by to go put the tray back when he just so happened to hear their conversation- or more specifically, Chunji- which immediately made him put on his unimpressed face.

"...eah, so what did you two do after I left~?" Chunji smirked, earning a kick to the shin from Niel again and Changjo wacking him on the back of the head with a tray as he walked back to the counter. Changjo sighed, seeing how he couldn't greet Niel now as there was a couple at the cash register.

"Ow! I'm calling abuse one day!" Chunji complained as he scurried off to the kitchen.

Niel looked over to Changjo who kept their eye contact this time. They smiled at each other until a couple walked up to the counter to pay for their meal.

See? The staring wasn't that bad, it had just put a little step to their newfound relationship. For now, they were in denial until one of them had enough guts to ask the other out, which would probably be when either one of them snaps out of jealousy... hopefully that was soon, but Changjo would never admit to that.